Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Helmet cleaning

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Helmet cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-20, 07:39 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Helmet cleaning

Anyone have ideas on how to wash out the inside of a helmet? I have sprayed it with a hose and that kept the odor down, now its pretty bad. Suggestions?

Dave
Likes For bonsai171:
Old 10-01-20, 07:55 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Wear it in the shower.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 10-01-20, 08:10 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I remove the pads and clean them and the straps with shampoo in the shower.
Old 10-01-20, 08:13 PM
shaun3000

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Wear it in the shower. Shampoo your head and put the helmet on and slosh it around.
Likes For shaun3000:
Old 10-01-20, 08:17 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by shaun3000
Wear it in the shower. Shampoo your head and put the helmet on and slosh it around.
LOL. I ran it under the shower, cleaned the pads with Irish spring, and rinsed it. Covered the pad in baking soda. Will rinse it again tomorrow. Smelling better already.

Dave
Old 10-01-20, 10:59 PM
illdrag0n

Bikes: 2014 Focus Mares AX 2.0, 2019 Cube Litening C:62 Race Disc Teamline

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
Don't use anything harmful to expanded polystyrene foam, in particular organic solvents
Old 10-02-20, 12:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Fill the laundry tub with lukewarm water and add a few drops of gentle detergent. Soak for a few hours.
Old 10-02-20, 03:58 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I would remove the pads, soak them in vinegar, lemon juice, antibacterial hand soap, or some other synthetic-safe product with antibacterial/antifungal properties, rinse them thoroughly, and maybe dry them in the sun. Any effect will be temporary.

I spent the considerable extra $ on a Bell Z20 because the pads were silver-impregnated. I still rinse them after every sweaty ride, but there’s no stank.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 10-02-20, 05:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4736 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Where's the top rack of the dishwasher recommendation? There's usually one of those by now. Turn off the heated drying option though? Disclaimer: I've never tried this yet myself.
Old 10-02-20, 05:42 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Where's the top rack of the dishwasher recommendation? There's usually one of those by now. Turn off the heated drying option though? Disclaimer: I've never tried this yet myself.
I've tried that for various soft items and never had it work very well. It doesn't move water through porous materials the way hand washing does.
Old 10-02-20, 05:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I've tried that for various soft items and never had it work very well. It doesn't move water through porous materials the way hand washing does.
Makes sense, though if OP wants a full helmet wash, maybe it works for the rest of the helmet (removing the pads before putting in the dishwasher first)?
Old 10-02-20, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
How long had it been till you tried to clean it? I rinse my helmet under warm to hot water after every ride then let it dry. Those big laundry sinks with a faucet that puts out better than five gallons a minute are wonderful for rinsing things quickly.

If you live in a very humid area, then put it in front of a fan to dry.
Old 10-02-20, 10:19 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
"I have sprayed it with a hose'' wow

Joking aside, I put my padding in the washer with my clothes and I spray the inside of the helmet with Lysol.
Old 10-02-20, 10:26 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
So don't use the dishwasher, that isn't so good BUT the shower method works fine or if you can remove the liner/padding washing it with kit works fine too. I also on really hot sweaty days just rinse with the kitchen sprayer right after the ride to get the salt and stuff off.

Just getting the salt and leftovers off the helmet is the huge goal IMO....and I find if I wait to long my chin straps get itchy with "crud"
Old 10-02-20, 11:45 AM
zatopek

Bikes: Neilpryde Nazare, Storck Scenero G3, Colnago Extreme Power, CAAD 10, Bowman Palace R, Strong Custom Foco Steel, BMC SLR01, BMC ALR01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 53 Posts
Slight variation on a few others' recommendations. Toss helmet in bucket. Put a brick or stone on it to hold it down. Them suckers are buoyant. Fill bucket with hot water above the top of the helmet. Add a bit of bleach and the detergent of your choice. I like Pinesol. Let is soak overnight. Agitate the heck out of it, making sure to massage and squeegee the absorbent straps and pads well. Rinse with hot water. Dry in the sun. Voila!
Likes For zatopek:
Old 10-02-20, 11:57 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I might get a little messy on rides ... my helmet cleaning protocol: a warm bucket of mild soapy water and soft sponge, use the sponge to work in the vents and clean all surfaces including the pads; second bucket of warm clean water, soak and dunk the helmet many times at different angles; wipe dry with soft towel; let air dry overnight in a well vented place.

Edit: when cleaning up from something like the ride below, I start with spraying the helmet down in the laundry tub to remove the loose grim.

Photo credit - Markman Outdoor Photography
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-02-20, 01:42 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
I sweat like crazy-- so I clean my helmet after every ride unless it's cold outside and I have a liner underneath. I use mild soap and warm water to clean the straps, pads and the inside of the MIPS shell, and then let it air dry.
One thing that drives me crazy, though--- no matter if I gently remove the pads to clean them, or leave them in the helmet and clean them gently in place, after a time the pad foam pulls away from the lining and I have to get a new pad set.

My last set only lasted one year, (with minimal winter use). Does anyone have any suggestions to keep from having to replace pads often?
Old 10-02-20, 01:53 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
I sweat a lot but my helmets don't really smell. I'll rinse them it off under the kitchen faucet once in a while, especially if there's any noticeable odor. But it's usually more because having white salt stains on the straps is a bit unsightly.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 10-02-20, 01:55 PM
oxman

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
Using warm water, not hot, I rinse off the entire helmet, including the straps in the kitchen sink. I then drop dish soap in a few areas and work it in into the padding and straps. I follow this up with a final warm water rinse.

I then stand my helmet on end, so the water runs and wicks off the helmet. Sometimes I place the helmet in the sun, inner surface facing up for an hour to dry to inside, over place over the floor a/c air register, inner facing down.

Never had an odour issue.
Old 10-02-20, 04:14 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
I’ve never cleaned my helmet, maybe that’s why my head gets so itchy.

Old 10-02-20, 04:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by phrantic09
I’ve never cleaned my helmet, maybe that’s why my head gets so itchy.

. .

you mean, like things crawling on our scalps?
Old 10-02-20, 09:42 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Tide Ultra or Gain. The enzymes work really well but need some time. I soak the pads for about 20-30 minutes, along with my other kit -- I usually handwash everything in a 5 gallon bucket. I'll set the helmet, sans pads, on top of the bucket with the straps dangling into the soapy water. Then sponge out the helmet with the same Tide or Gain soapy water. Rinse, air dry (usually hanging over the tub with a fan blowing), done. Never any problems.

Febreze and similar generic fabric deodorizers work surprisingly well too for funk stank. I have three cats and use a lot of that stuff on the sofa, cushions, throw rugs, etc. It doesn't just mask the funk. It's mostly baking soda in water but has some other pretty effective deodorizers too. No soapy residue after it dries.
Old 10-03-20, 02:38 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Anyone have ideas on how to wash out the inside of a helmet? I have sprayed it with a hose and that kept the odor down, now its pretty bad. Suggestions?

Dave
I usually pull out the soft pads and hand wash with gentle liquid soap. The shell is hosed in the shower. Then dry and reassemble.
Old 10-03-20, 03:47 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I make a point of only buying helmets with removeable straps.
When needed, I take them and the pads out and send them through the washer. Usually in a mesh bag, but I have stuffed them in a sock on occasion. Reinstall and ride on.
Likes For dabac:
Old 10-05-20, 07:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
I sweat like crazy-- so I clean my helmet after every ride unless it's cold outside and I have a liner underneath. I use mild soap and warm water to clean the straps, pads and the inside of the MIPS shell, and then let it air dry.
One thing that drives me crazy, though--- no matter if I gently remove the pads to clean them, or leave them in the helmet and clean them gently in place, after a time the pad foam pulls away from the lining and I have to get a new pad set.

My last set only lasted one year, (with minimal winter use). Does anyone have any suggestions to keep from having to replace pads often?
I ride with a cycling cap under my helmet. I do this since I'm mostly bald, but I found when I started using a cap that it helped manage sweat and the helmet pads didn't get as nasty. The cap is easy to wash, either hand wash or run in the laundry with delicates.
Likes For Hypno Toad:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.