Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First aid gear for group ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 05:12 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts

Once in a while I participate in large (500+ riders) group rides. This past year, I happened to be the first rider to find another rider after a serious spill. In a few moments there were enough of us to get first aid started, control traffic, call 911, etc.

Which got me thinking: I had extra space in my pannier -- what could I have been carrying that would have been helpful?

So if there's anyone reading this who has organized first aid for large group events -- what do you prioritize? Cold packs for heat stroke? Trauma gear? Bandages and bleeding?

And yes, I learned that I should be carrying gloves.
Old 01-14-24, 05:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
I am going to say that for groups that big all you need to think about is knowing what to do in the event of a major injury to someone else. Rides that big have support vehicles that have needed medical supplies.
Don't overthink things
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 01-14-24, 05:45 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,928 Times in 4,160 Posts
Gloves, gauze, and a fully charged cell phone to call 911.
Old 01-14-24, 06:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I wouldn't be carrying much more than basic stuff for yourself, unless you are organizing that big ride, it should be up to race organizers to have the support behind it. All you might need to do is get in touch with them or in touch with emergency services as needed. I know being a good person is important and you have that but you shouldn't be taking care of someone else on a big supported ride like that if you paid money you should just focus on the ride. Not to say you cannot stop and stay with them and help them as needed but you shouldn't need to carry supplies for them.

As alcjphil said know the proper things to do but don't overthink anything. Carry what you want to carry for yourself or leave the space or carry something smaller and less weight. The fun of supported rides is you can carry less generally especially on the big ones. We did a ride for a while that was for a small non-profit which was supported but it was a small enough ride that we generally had people carrying extra stuff for flat repairs and minor first aid but it was a very grassroots sort of effort not some big planned event with closed roads and big sponsors this was us getting friends, family, co-workers and other folks to donate some money to sponsor the riders and we camped at night but we had a van to carry all of our gear and I think the first year I did it they set up tents for folks but I slept in a hammock so I set that up on the porch and slept like a baby.
Old 01-14-24, 06:57 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
From the First Aid classes I have attended, the first items here are germane: https://www.verywellhealth.com/first-aid-kit-8399671

Old 01-14-24, 07:14 PM
SCbike864

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Never really thought to carry any when on the road. But I carry a small adventure medical kit one for mountain biking
Old 01-14-24, 07:38 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
there are times when we are a good distance from ‘civilization’ - no nearby roads or houses - and don’t have cell phone service

so we carry small assortment of first aid stuff / including antiseptic wipes, gauze / bandages and Tylenol and Ibuprofen

(unfortunately) we did use the advil and bandages this past summer when we assisted an injured rider that crashed - but (fortunately) a small group trailing us included a doctor (and a PA or nurse - can’t recall) … whew
Old 01-15-24, 08:59 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 944 Posts
Above else: practicing knowledge of CPR.
Maxipads or heavy non-adherent pads to stop heavy bleeding in case of a deep laceration.
For road rash Vashe wound cleaner, non-stick anti-bacterial medicated pads, thick gauze wrap and a roll of compression wrap to keep the pads on. Note: do not wrap too tightly, just tight enough to keep the pads from moving.

I do wound care for my father who in his 80's and I picked up a few things from skilled nurses.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 01-15-24 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 09:36 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
If it's a organized ride then they'll have a SAG number to call for emergencies. Make sure you have that first and probably a good idea to enter it into your phones contact list so you don't have to fumble looking for it. At times, I've seen that number printed at the bottom of the numbers they give you to put on your jersey.

So of course be trained and able to give first aid. Red Cross still gives courses don't they? I personally don't carry anything, because the time for help to come on those rides shouldn't be very long. First aid is first aid. You shouldn't fumble for stuff before you give it. Bandages and everything else will be in the kit the actual emergency services bring.

If no one is taking charge that is around, then be sure you do and make sure someone is calling for help. You also need to assess quickly whether just the rides emergency number is enough. You might also need to call 911 for possible concussion, heart conditions or broken bones etc.

If I'm not injured bad enough to need medical assistance, I don't really want bandages on me. The bleeding will stop soon enough. And many times the scrapes and cuts are not anywhere that bandages could keep pressure on to stop. Now if you are just talking about a band-aid. Well, those don't take up any space or weight. So sure, someone might want a band-aid.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-15-24 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 09:44 AM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
For an organizes group ride, where really it is the responsibility of the organizers to provide first aid, carry things to protect yourself if you need to get involved right away: gloves, liquid not gel hand disinfectant primarily for you both before and after (liquid because it can be used in a pinch on a wound, but it hurts) and a one-way cpr mask. Oh and a cell phone.

Then carry whatever you normally carry on a ride. The danger on an organized ride should not really be greater than a similar route solo, so carrying a lot more than usual doesn't make sense to me.
Old 01-15-24, 10:01 AM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
From the First Aid classes I have attended, the first items here are germane: https://www.verywellhealth.com/first-aid-kit-8399671
From my time spent in MSR (mountain search & rescue) this is pretty good basic list of items to carry. There are a few things I would tweak, like throw in a roll of athletic tape as it is quick and holds things in place much better, but overall a good list of items. It's also good to know how to use each item. You would be surprised how many people have first aid kits but aren't educated in what or how items are to be used. In the situation outlined by the OP someone should be calling 911 ASAP as well as the event organizer.
Likes For SpeedyBlueBiker:
Old 01-16-24, 07:40 PM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 273 Times in 175 Posts
The answer comes from your first aid skill set and level of training. A tourniquet is a lifesaver in the right hands. So is an epi-pen. So is a defibrillator.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 01-17-24, 01:23 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Always pack (or better yet, wear) a Western shirt.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-17-24, 11:34 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
I have served as medical officer and put kits together for multi-day backpacking trips and ocean sailing races, where definitive care was many hours or days away. For a bike ride where EMS services were available, I don't know whether I'd carry anything other than knowledge of CPR in case of cardiorespiratory arrest. Maybe a defibrillator if you're a true masochist. Serious trauma happens cyclists, of course, but other than applying pressure to an arterial bleed (a very rare scenario) with anything handy, I can't imagine what I'd do beyond call EMS and make sure the victim and others were safe from further injury. Road rash is not an emergency and requires good lighting, a comfortable seat for the operator, and lots of water, to treat effectively.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 01-17-24, 02:29 PM
Lambkin55

Bikes: 1990 Schwinn Curcit is my main bike

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 36 Posts
As an old Boy Scout I try to always be prepared. To that end I have always carried a small basic 1st Aid kit on my bike.
Over the last 35 years of riding I have needed that kit a few times myself for minor scraps and cuts. I can only recall needing the kit for someone else once. It was a giant pile up caused by an old man driver losing control of his car as he passed the group. One young woman got cuts and road rash pretty good.
Old 01-17-24, 02:44 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Saw a yellow lab bite a mountain biker on the ankle (totally unprovoked). It was bleeding badly and needed stitches. I used a handkerchief (remember those?) to wrap the wound and then got him to the local ER. Not a group ride - just a guy from the UK who just completed 3 weeks in British Columbia filming wild wolfs. The irony…

Likes For rsbob: