Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Winter Shoe Thread

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Winter Shoe Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-15, 10:17 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Have you ever gone into a store thinking you want something, and end up walking out with something else? Or do you always know exactly what you want and get only that?
When I go into a store and I want a t-shirt, I don't walk out with a sweater. I will just say that.
Old 11-17-15, 10:45 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
When I go into a store and I want a t-shirt, I don't walk out with a sweater. I will just say that.
But you might get a sweatshirt if you saw a good deal, right?
Old 11-17-15, 10:52 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
50 degrees and raining this morning. Wore my waterproof hiking boots instead of my SPD shoes. Same boots I'll wear when it's -20 °F. If I had a nice pair of waterproof (or mostly waterproof) cycling shoes or boots, I might have worn them instead, but they cost some $$$$. If I lived in a climate where I could expect a lot of 40 and 50 degree rainy weather I might invest in some.

For us winter means temps below freezing most of the time and often slippery conditions. I'm not a big fan of SPDs in that kind of weather so I switch to platforms. Some folks still prefer SPDs in the winter.

Last edited by tjspiel; 11-17-15 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-17-15, 10:53 AM
Lanovran

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Goriot
Would prefer SPD- issue really is rain as opposed to cold/snow. Coldest here is 0deg C, if that. Usually around 10C (50F).
Ah, ok... In that case, I wouldn't recommend winter shoes/boots at all. At 50°F (heck, even down to 32°F, depending on your tolerances), I'd recommend one of a few different options, depending on the specific situation:

• Lightweight, waterproof, cleat-compatible shoe covers.
• A double-layer of socks for extra insulation (still prone to getting soaked, though).
• Insulated, waterproof socks.
• My favorite on this list: water- and wind-proof oversocks, which are worn (as the name implies) over your socks, but inside your shoes. I have a pair of these and I really like them a lot more than shoe covers.
Old 11-17-15, 11:07 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
But you might get a sweatshirt if you saw a good deal, right?
Not when I am at the store looking for a t-shirt.
Old 11-17-15, 11:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Would prefer SPD- issue really is rain as opposed to cold/snow. Coldest here is 0deg C, if that. Usually around 10C (50F).
You aren't looking for a winter shoe so much as a transitional shoe. The problem is that most winter SPD compatible boots are made for temperatures below 0°C and end up being far too warm for temperatures above that. I would suggest the 45nrth Japanther but I suspect that even they would be hot at 10°C. My Lake MXZ303s are certainly too hot for 10°C and they are similar to the Japanther.

Another suggestion is to use a regular shoe and a neoprene sock. Pearl Izumi used to make the X-Alp in a water resistant shoe but they don't apparently make those any more. I have a pair and have successfully combined them with a pair of NRS Hydroskin socks for cool but not cold days.

I've also seen suggestions for combining a waterproof sock like the Hydroskins and a pair of cycling sandals. The waterproof sock (with an insulating sock underneath) keeps your feet warm and the sandals let the water flow off. I haven't gone that route...yet...but I may have to in the future.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-17-15, 11:24 AM
Goriot

Bikes: CAAD 9 Tiagra, DaVinci Madrid, DaVinci Oslo, CAAD 10 (one day)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I've happily been using Pearl Izumi Barrier GTX as my winter shoes for years;
Thinsulate for warmth, and Goretex for waterproofing.
I use the same thin socks I wear in the summer.
I think they are out of production now, but here is a list I compiled some time back of various winter shoes:

45nrth Wolvhammer
Exustar E-SM450
Gaerne Akira (Road) waterproof
Gaerne Artix (MTB) - Same upper as Akira but with MTB sole.
Gaerne Polar (Road and MTB) - not waterproof
Lake MXZ3
Louis Garneau 0
Northwave Avalanche Pro
Northwave Celsius J GTX
Northwave Fahrenheit (road)
Shimano MW02
Shimano SH-MW80
Sidi Diablo GTX
Specialized Defroster
Thanks for the list, looked into a lot of them.

I agree overall with people saying 0-10deg C isn't winter, and I should have clarified. No snow, just cold-ish and wet all the time. Since moving to the West Coast I've forgotten what real winter is, and never have been a real winter rider. Good for those who put on the real boots and commute, but that's not my situation.

The big reason for liking the Northwave, or any more or less Waterproof shoe is that these shoes end up getting walked in a lot too. I switch into loafers at work but if going out for lunch, stopping somewhere on way home etc I would switch back into the shoes I ideally commute with. Those Northwave seemed to fit the bill for that- something booties and double socks etc wouldn't.

So the RIGHT question would be: Best Waterproof SPD shoe/boot that offers some warmth and also works for walking around in.

Originally Posted by mcours2006
At the risk of not giving the OP what was originally asked, those shoes are a bit of an overkill for Vancouver winters. Seriously!

$350-$400 is a lot of money to spend on a pair of shoes for commuting. I get the water proof part, but Extreme Winter for 10C? C'mon.

If you have your heart set on them and you've got the cash, go for it. But there are alternatives that are a lot less costly and equally effective.
Ya extremely expensive, completely agree. The current SPD shoes I've used for almost 5yrs now are basic Pearl Izumis that cost me $100, and have now seen better days, so I figured I'd invest in the next pair.

Originally Posted by Lanovran
Ah, ok... In that case, I wouldn't recommend winter shoes/boots at all. At 50°F (heck, even down to 32°F, depending on your tolerances), I'd recommend one of a few different options, depending on the specific situation:

• Lightweight, waterproof, cleat-compatible shoe covers.
• A double-layer of socks for extra insulation (still prone to getting soaked, though).
• Insulated, waterproof socks.
• My favorite on this list: water- and wind-proof oversocks, which are worn (as the name implies) over your socks, but inside your shoes. I have a pair of these and I really like them a lot more than shoe covers.
Like above, the waterproof system needs to be multitasking, and in addition to riding, could also be used to walk around off the bike. Thats how I got fixated on a high quality shoe/boot, as opposed to covers/extra socks etc. Maybe I'm thinking of a bike shoe utopia, but I'd like to wear a single pair of socks, and ideally only switch out the shoe at work... too much to ask for?
Old 11-17-15, 12:27 PM
alan s 

Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I agree overall with people saying 0-10deg C isn't winter, and I should have clarified. No snow, just cold-ish and wet all the time. Since moving to the West Coast I've forgotten what real winter is, and never have been a real winter rider. Good for those who put on the real boots and commute, but that's not my situation.
Yeah, when you said winter boots and linked to winter boots, that threw me off for sure. You need rain gear. I use Sugoi Resistors Sugoi Resistor Bike Booties - REI.com for rain over either summer or winter shoes, depending on the temperature. Your feet would be soaked with sweat from winter cycling boots.
Old 11-17-15, 12:31 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Your feet would be soaked with sweat from winter cycling boots.
Yes, cycling with those shoes at 10C or warmer, you don't have to worry about rain water getting your feet wet; the real threat is from inside.
Old 11-17-15, 01:58 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I recently bought some Giro waterproof thermal shoe covers. Had high hopes of them working for colder winter temperatures this year.

Nope. They work great for when it's raining. But Friday morning it was about 38-39F and I used thick merino wool socks, my MTB shoes with thermal aerogel insoles (which I had to grind down the plastic "lugs" under the heel of the shoe to get the shoe covers to fit, and only just barely), and then the thermal covers. Nope. Toes still cold after 45 minutes and borderline numb after 75 minutes. And it wasn't even down to freezing yet.

Ridiculous. My stupid long@$$ toes I think. I guess the only thing that would work for me is those electric heated insoles. But those cost as much as some of those winter SPD boots.
Old 11-18-15, 12:41 AM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
Are people not reading or what? OP asks for SPD shoes for temps around the 50's. Two people now have suggested regular winter style boots. At 50° I would think that most peoples feet would be drenched wearing winter boots to ride in, which of course, are not SPD.
You would be wrong :-) My feet get cold easily. It was mid 50s today at the end of my slow paced bike ride (I am riding all the streets in Santa Clara) and my feed were getting cold. I have wool socks. I have been riding a lot more this year and I am going to need to figure out how to keep my feet warm. I have the rest of the winter riding issues solved.
Old 11-18-15, 09:39 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
You would be wrong :-) My feet get cold easily. It was mid 50s today at the end of my slow paced bike ride (I am riding all the streets in Santa Clara) and my feed were getting cold. I have wool socks. I have been riding a lot more this year and I am going to need to figure out how to keep my feet warm. I have the rest of the winter riding issues solved.
People react to cold in many different ways and have a wide range of comfort zones...although 50°F is warm to have problems with cold feet. I would suggest a barrier sock or a shoe cover if your feet are getting that cold at 50°F because your problem is related to wind heat loss. The Hydroskins work well inside the shoe and there are any number of shoe covers to use.

One thing I'd suggest is that you get a shoe for winter that is a larger size then your normal summer shoe. Trying to jam a thick sock into a close fitting shoe can result in cutting off the circulation and the result is colder (feeling) feet. I'd also suggest that you insulate the bottom of the shoe (after you get a larger shoe). Insulating the sole of the shoe has made a huge difference for me at much colder temperatures. I've added these insoles to all of my winter shoes as well as using aluminum furnace tape under the insole. The furnace tape reflects heat back towards the foot and the insoles trap a lot of air. The result is reasonably warm feet even at stupidly cold temperatures.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-18-15, 04:00 PM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had two pairs of the Northwave Celsius boots. The first pair I bought back in 2008, and I used them for several winters commuting in NY happily. It tends not to drop below 20 degrees F in NYC in the winter, and I found them to be great around freezing temps.

I got a second pair of the extreme version of the boots a couple of years ago. They are much warmer than my old ones, which is great when is really cold, but not so great when it's warmer. Both sets are very waterproof.

They are both pretty stiff soled, walkeable but stiff.

I stopped riding clipless, or I'd still be using them.
Old 11-18-15, 04:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Ooh, I like the idea of those sheepskin insoles!

I do have one or two pairs of extra large shoes just for that purpose. I can insert insoles and still wear two pairs of socks.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-15, 09:06 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Snipped
What do you guys use for those really heavy/wet days? I may end up biting the bullet and spending so much on these shoes, especially if they really keep your feet toasty and dry like they claim. Snipped
S.
I use pedals with toe-clips and loose straps. Footwer for the last few years is a pair of rubber boots like farmer's wear (black with a red-tan accent) with good quality Merino wool socks. Completely waterproof foott and shank and comfortable throughout a Toronto-like Canadian winter. They're also quite comfortable to walk in if needed.

Cheers