Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gear 6 and 7 "work" but don't change the cycling difficulty.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 06:41 PM
M.arie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello!

I've been searching for answers to a problem with my gears recently, but can't seem to find one, so joined this forum in hopes that someone will understand what this problem is.

My bike has 7 gears, but over the last two days, the 6th and 7th have felt like they are in 4th. I checked that the chain is moving along all 7 gears and it is. However, gear 6 and 7 seem to not be working. I have to cycle slowly because of this, and can't build up speed for a slope

On the other handlebar, I can also change something. I was told that it's the chain tension, but a friend told me they're front gears (cranks?). There are three of these. He watched me while I cycled and said they are changing, but the chain rattles loudly and feels slack, so I don't like using them.

From what I've researched, I have the opinion, it could be to do with chain tension, but I thought I would ask on here first before I do something wrong. If it is the chain tension, could this be the cause for gear 6 & 7 not working, even though the chain is moving?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-30-11, 07:05 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
The following image shows gear combination's that Shimano doesn't recommend you use.

Old 09-30-11, 07:29 PM
M.arie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
The following image shows gear combination's that Shimano doesn't recommend you use.

Thank you, Cobba! I'll try it in the morning and let you know the results.
Old 09-30-11, 07:32 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
All the sprockets are on a common block with no moving parts (except when you coast), so if the chain is on a larger rear sprocket, you're definitely getting better leverage. It might not feel that way on a hill because you're also slowing down and tiring.

If the gears change and the chain doesn't slip (you'll know for sure if it does) your bike is fine, but it sounds like the engine could use some work.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-30-11, 07:41 PM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With a triple in front, put it on the middle chainring and see if you get all 7 speeds in the rear. If not, check the limiting screw adjustment, derailleur not bent, der. hanger not bent.
Old 09-30-11, 07:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by RavingManiac
With a triple in front, put it on the middle chainring and see if you get all 7 speeds in the rear. If not, check the limiting screw adjustment, derailleur not bent, der. hanger not bent.
I suggest you reread the OP, esprcially here where he says the chain changes to all seven sprockets.

......I checked that the chain is moving along all 7 gears and it is. However, gear 6 and 7 seem to not be working.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 10-03-11, 06:59 AM
RavingManiac

Bikes: 90 Raleigh Chill MTB, 92 Trek 1200, 2004 Trek 2300, 67 Sports, 70 Sports, 71 Philips, Lotus Challenger, 74 Super Course, Univega Gran Tourismo, Nishiki Seral

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I suggest you reread the OP, esprcially here where he says the chain changes to all seven sprockets.

......I checked that the chain is moving along all 7 gears and it is. However, gear 6 and 7 seem to not be working.
I read, and comprehended that the first time I read it. However, it seemed unlikely that the chain could actually be riding those cogs to no effect.
Old 10-03-11, 10:02 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
one of my peeves, 'speeds' added are not necessarily an advance,
its just stacking in another cog, maybe one tooth different from its neighboring ones.

the Range matters , more, difference between outermost cogs.
the bigger low gear.. more teeth around the circumference of a larger cog,
will lower the Ratio,
as will reducing the size of the chainring that the pedals turn.

Pop Quiz! ..
23:53 versus a 34:22, which will make going up a hill easier?
Old 10-03-11, 10:45 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Your question indicates a certain amount of cluelessness, so I suggest you visit Sheldon Brown first, to read up on the basics.
Old 10-03-11, 03:25 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Your question indicates a certain amount of cluelessness, so I suggest you visit Sheldon Brown first, to read up on the basics.
Guy posts an honest question, no need for internet dickheadedness.

It will make a difference when you change gear ratios. May not be a lot or enough. The left hand shifter is for the front 3 chainrings. Assuming it's a mountain bike, you won't be using the smallest front chainring very much. Practice shifting. All the sprockets are there for a reason. Bike might be needing some adjustments. Don't worry overmuch!
Old 10-03-11, 03:49 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
Guy posts an honest question, no need for internet dickheadedness.
If you've read Dabac's posts in the past, you'd know that he's not in any way an internet dickhead. His post was a sincere attempt to point the OP to a source that might help him understand derailleur systems in general, and his problem in particular.

Part if the problem is that the OP is describing an impossible situation wherein the chain changes sprockets, yet the ratio doesn't change. Also his vague understanding of multiple chainrings & front derailleurs reinforces Dabac's conclusion.

There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, and we all want to help, but often the best help we can offer is to point someone to a published source that will give a good general background, so he can pinpoint and better describe the problem, if not solve it himself.

For my part, I don't think there's anything wrong with the bike, just that the OP was never taught how to use his gear system effectively.

Old 10-03-11, 04:12 PM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you've read Dabac's posts in the past, you'd know that he's not in any way an internet dickhead. His post was a sincere attempt to point the OP to a source that might help him understand derailleur systems in general, and his problem in particular.

+1

Part if the problem is that the OP is describing an impossible situation wherein the chain changes sprockets, yet the ratio doesn't change. Also his vague understanding of multiple chainrings & front derailleurs reinforces Dabac's conclusion.

There's nothing wrong with being a newbie, and we all want to help, but often the best help we can offer is to point someone to a published source that will give a good general background, so he can pinpoint and better describe the problem, if not solve it himself.

For my part, I don't think there's anything wrong with the bike, just that the OP was never taught how to use his gear system effectively.
Bit sensitive these days to rudeness, perceived or otherwise. Mechanics is one of the more civil forums.

Koom-buy-yaw.
Old 10-03-11, 04:36 PM
ZManT

Bikes: 2010 Trek FX 7.2, 2006 Felt F80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"cluelessness" is a sub-optimal noun to describe someone seeking education . .. .
Old 10-03-11, 04:57 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear OP:

Please specify what the GEAR RATIO is between FRONT:REAR.

From the post, it sounds like you may be riding with small chain ring up front on the crank set (where the pedals are) and you're shifting through 7 gears in the back. Also, when specifying "slope" you need to be specific - are you going "UPHILL" or "DOWNHILL" on the slope?

The problem here is one of nomenclature and ability to communicate withOUT ambiguity, even if you do NOT know the lingo. For example, to be specific about the gear, you need to reference whether you are specifying gear #6 and #7 as indicated on your shifter WHILST riding, or if you mean the SMALLEST and 2nd SMALLEST cogs in the rear? Or do you imply and inverted gear scale where gear #6 and #7 refer to the 2nd LARGEST and LARGEST cogs in the rear, respectively? Which is it?

If I read your post correctly, you seem to imply that you can NOT go fast on a DOWNHILL slope even in gear 6 or 7 in the rear (the 2 smallest cogs) and you thought maybe the chain tension was the issue. My suspicion is that your friend was correct. You are "cross-chaining" which is where you are riding in the small ring up front on the crankset. What this means is that you've limited your maximum gear ratio so you cannot really ever pedal that fast, so in essence, 4th gear is not much different than 6th or 7th.

What I think your friend was trying to tell you was to switch to gear 13 or 14 or gear 20 or 21, which we might think of as designations for the next set of gear ratios when you shift the front to the middle and then to the biggest outside chainrings. Of course, you noted that this makes a noise which is probably the chain rubbing against the front derailleur cage. That happens for several reasons:

a) the FD is incorrectly adjusted
b) you need to make an incremental "half shift" up or down to "trim" the Front Derailleur so it doesn't rub
c) you have an incorrect combination of Front Derailleur, Shifter, Chainring combination
d) some combination of (a), (b) and/or (c).

But do the Math. Determine the gear ratio of FRONT:REAR and the higher that is, the more speed you can achieve pedaling at a given fixed RPM of your feet.