Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Whoa, wait, it shouldn't cost THAT much to do a bike tour, right?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Whoa, wait, it shouldn't cost THAT much to do a bike tour, right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-14, 11:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7354 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,443 Posts
Yes, I'm OK with it. As I said earlier, get angry if you want. I don't want to.

and you don't offer any information on what kinds of work he has done thus far, so I assume you don't know. But would you like to venture a judgment on that? Then you can say whether it offsets his food stamps.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-08-14, 11:59 AM
Cyclesafe

Bikes: IF steel deluxe 29er tourer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
OK, get angry if you want to. Lots of people take advantage of offerings when things are down. There's a good choice he'll eventually get a tax-paying job and replenish whatever he took, many times over. I have relatives who escaped the Soviet Union and were put up by charities and the welfare system when they arrived. They are extremely productive and high-earning now, thanks to the head start they got. I think the system works.

If you think most welfare recipients make a lifestyle out of it, you are mistaken.
How dare you compare those who, through circumstances not of their making (your relatives), got a needed boost to a whiny American millennial parasite who intends to suck into those same scarce resources. The OP is a perfect example of those few who make a lifestyle out of welfare.
Old 04-08-14, 12:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

My relatives could have stayed in the Soviet Union. They were not, unlike our common ancestors, fleeing for their lives. It was a choice they made willfully. I don't know if taking advantage of programs was in their plan.

i don't know this fellow's long term plan, either. And neither do you. How long will he be traveling?

To me, it looks like he feels he has overstayed his welcome and is setting out on his own without wealth. Sounds brave to me. I bet he will acquire valuable skill and knowledge. I predict he will become a contributing member of society, if he isn't already, which we do not know.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 04-08-14, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18447 Post(s)
Liked 15,682 Times in 7,372 Posts
Yes, I'm OK with it. As I said earlier, get angry if you want. I don't want to.
I never said I was angry. In fact, I think he's simply trolling. I was addressing the concept, which I think is pathetic.

The theoretical plan is to get food stamps solely to support his tour. That would be an abuse of the letter and the spirit of the plan's guidelines, regardless of what employment he may have had or how much he may have paid into the system. That's not an arguable point.

If this guy is for real, how about sending him some cash directly so the tax payers don't get stuck with paet of his vacation tab?
Old 04-08-14, 12:16 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Wish you the best of luck, but while touring by bike can be economical, you still need some money. For food, lodging, campground fees, laundromat, and bike repairs. You don't want to put yourself in harms way just to prove to yourself that you can do a tour with no money. It isn't much of a plan to hit the road with no funds and no plan for earning money. In the depression, they called that sort of person a hobo. And it could end very badly for you. If you don't feel like much of a man living with your parents at 30, imagine how you would feel calling home asking them for money to pay for a bus ticket or food.

As for hitting the road to get away from your parents and neighbors, I hear that. But there is an old saying, you take your tuchus with you.
Old 04-08-14, 12:22 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
As someone who grew up with low self esteem my first bike trip gave me a sense of accomplishment.
I tried a cross country tour a couple years later without much money and a crappy bike.
When I finished the trip I had even more confidence in myself. I wasn't afraid of anything.
It was hands down the best thing that ever happened to me.

I say shut the **** up and encourage this guy!!!!

Edited by Moderators

Last edited by Juha; 04-08-14 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Bypassing censor
Old 04-08-14, 12:36 PM
hurricane harry

Bikes: Novara Randonee/DRZ400S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RadfahrDavid281
No, I do not have a job. But one reason for doing this trip is, you never know what contacts and potential employers I could meet by going around the country on bicycle! I HAVE TO get out of my parents' house. My Dad is recovering from cancer surgery and there's just not enough space. I'm tired of my neighbors as well. (At least on a bike tour, my "neighbors" would change every day.) 29 going on 30 is MUCH too old to be living at home. Many guys my age have a job, car, house or apartment, and oftentimes, a WIFE AND KIDS. Heck, my friend's daughter is almost two years old! I'm a guy who WANTS kids, but just can't find Ms. Right. Again, I just might find that Ms. Right on a bike tour! The point is, I can't take my parents' house anymore. I'm ridden in all types of weather (including downspours, snow, sleet, freezing cold, and boiling heat) on probably all types of terrain. I've taken day trips of 30-50 miles. So no naysayers please.

The point of this thread is to emphasize that the best things in life are indeed free, and that should hold true for a bike tour. If anyone agrees, feel free to post.
Your trip can be done, but it would be a whole lot easier with even a small amount of money.
Old 04-08-14, 12:36 PM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
OK everyone, calm down please and keep it civil. OP might be trolling (after all he hasn't returned to the thread), but it might still lead to an interesting discussion.

--Juha, a Forum Mod

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 04-08-14, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The expensive part is keeping housing costs paid up while you are not there , and then adding the tour cost on top of that.
Old 04-08-14, 01:14 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I rode some with a young dude pedaling from CA to FL who had food stamps(don't know how.) He survived in many of the same ways the OP(troll?) has proposed, including a bit of charity from me. It certainly can be done. Will he learn anything that will turn him into a productive citizen? I doubt it. But likely no harm done.

Touring cyclists tend to get whatever assistance they need from trail angels. Makes the angel feel good and keeps the cyclist moving along. Win-win.
Old 04-08-14, 01:27 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot of growing up to do, regardless of the food stamp thing. Do yourself a favor and do a lot of thinking while you're out on this tour. And I don't mean daydreaming about the amazing girl who's totally gonna be into your kidlike thought process, food stamps, and is gonna absolutely fall for you on your first date to the local food pantry. Think about real things. Things that are actually happening. What's actually important. On the plus side, I think lots of time spent pondering what's really important can help a person grow up.
Originally Posted by RadfahrDavid281
Another option is, I have heard that even homeless vagrants can get food stamps (EBT cards). There is a process involved in getting those food stamps, so being a "touring cyclist who just wants to... probably would NOT qualify me to get food stamps. I could be wrong though. I don't know till I try.
So you're going to take food stamps so that you can go on a bike trip? Wow. That's pretty much the kind of attitude that create the problem we have. Make sure you buy some booze and cigarettes with those hard earned food stamps too while you're out there. I'm glad to be able to work every day to pay for my hard earned bike tour and then help you pay for yours, since you'd rather do that than figure something out, work, and earn your way out of your current situation.
Old 04-08-14, 01:31 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I had lunch one day in a park where the Prague Czechoslovakia Hare Krishna's had a bit of food available .
Old 04-08-14, 02:20 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
OP
I am planning my first one week tour for May, and I expect to spend $700-900. So I agree, it really doesn't cost that much to tour.
Old 04-08-14, 03:04 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
OP has enough cognitive ability to post here, and physical strength to ride long distances, so I'd say get a job and save up for your vacation. It's the best way to go, IMHO.
Old 04-08-14, 03:14 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
It's a wind up.
Old 04-08-14, 03:39 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
Even if you stealth-camp - a subject which I will not go into right now - you'll still need at least $10/day for food. On the 1000-mile 12-day 'tour' I rode (Cleveland OH to Madison WI and back) 35 years ago, I ate one hot meal per day at a greasy spoon, diner or burger joint, and bought fruits and veggies to munch on from roadside stands along the way. Even back in the days of 35c burgers - 3-burgers, a small fry, small coke and a pie was around $3.
Old 04-08-14, 03:51 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 93 Posts
Well, if you know where to look - there are lovely places to camp - for free and in the open.
Such as along the Delta River in Alaska - -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
AK27_Delta_Sunset.jpg (87.9 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-08-14, 06:20 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Don't be a leach. Get a job. Even a crappy job. You are too old to be a baby.

+100000000000

OP,

You should be ashamed of yourself for considering such selfish adventure at this time. Your family need you more than ever at this time. A man (or woman) steps up and puts their own personal needs aside and helps their family the best they can. That said I know how hard it can be to convince parents that they need help. You will always be their little boy or girl no matter what. But you need to help out regardless of what they say. Go out get a job, help the family the best you can. If there is a little left over then you can save it up. Once your father gets back on his feet you can do your tour with your head held high knowing that you were able to do it with your own hard work.
Old 04-08-14, 06:54 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Liked 2,072 Times in 1,086 Posts
I don't know why everyone has to be so hard on the guy. If affording meals is difficult for him, why shouldn't he take advantage of soup kitchens? That's what they're there for. I've volunteered at a soup kitchen, and I never considered anyone coming in to be a freeloader. They're just people who happen to be hungry. That's no crime.
I've noticed that people who actually interact with people in need are much less judgemental than people who do not. I don't know which is cause and which is effect. My personal experiences, whether I knew the cause of distress or not, lead me to think that compassion comes from getting close enough to recognize someone's humanity.

The OP's plan, whether real or a troll, seems high risk to me. I've met the modern equivalent of hobos, and it's a tough existence. Staying put in a locale where food sources and shelter are known is hard enough. But add the unknowns of traveling and the increased caloric need of cycling, and that's a whole new game. Your overhead is low, but your margin of error is slim. There are alternate lifestyles to the rat race, but as the comments above indicate there is little tolerance from society as a whole. In reality, the OP is laying out a plan that's harder than an 8-5, mortgage, and club membership.
Old 04-08-14, 07:18 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
The OPs family needs him/her right now and all he wants to do is run and on someone else's dime. Sorry but that is just plain childish and selfish to me.
Old 04-08-14, 08:20 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
maybe OP could say he's doing the bike ride for charity! you know, he could
print up (okay, steal some flyers from the church...) some brochures showing
little brown children with big ol' bellies. really photogenic! pull them heartstrings!

don't gotta say WHICH charity you're doing it for, right? sensative, kumbaya
types will assume it's "for the chillins." yeah, and maybe bill gates will sponsor
you, too.

sure, 90% of whatever you collect will go for your expenses..............food, spare
parts, lodging, crack, hookers.............but i'm sure there'll be something left over
at the end of the tour (is there an end?), maybe a couple bucks you can throw in
a salvation army kettle......for charity......to feel good about yourself.
Old 04-08-14, 09:02 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

I stand corrected in my post above - -
I don't think you are yet in a position to appreciate Alaska.
Old 04-08-14, 09:11 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked 837 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
I've noticed that people who actually interact with people in need are much less judgemental than people who do not. I don't know which is cause and which is effect. My personal experiences, whether I knew the cause of distress or not, lead me to think that compassion comes from getting close enough to recognize someone's humanity.
I believe you are correct. I've been volunteering at a program called Manna, a program that provides dinners to anyone 3 times a week for the last couple of years. I only wash dishes there a couple of times a month, but I get as much or more out it as the people we serve.

Their number one rule is: do not to be judgemental! It is hard sometimes, even though we are constantly reminded. But, treating all people with respect works really well.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-08-14 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-08-14, 09:35 PM
jamawani 
Hooked on Touring

Humans make judgments - every hour of every day.
To say that we should not be judgmental is to pretend some false neutrality.
That does not mean to offer one's opinion where it is clearly not needed or wanted -
But when a person requests feedback - then if it is done fairly, but honestly, it is appropriate.

When we give out children everything - it loses all value.
When a person is 30, he or she should be on their own even in difficult economic times.
I can understand a person who has a financial setback - but I don't think this is the case here.
For parents, keeping a child dependent can also be an attempt to forestall becoming older.
It goes both ways.

Our poster here has many thing to deal with - far more than any bicycle tour would address.
If jobs are hard to come by, then volunteering in a soup kitchen daily would go far.
I love touring - but showing up every day for someone else is something that is far more valuable.
Old 04-08-14, 09:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

On your own is an illusion. We are all interdependent.

i agree the OP's plan is dangerous. Either he is skilled at this, or he will leave that it's hard or impossible. What better way to learn?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.