Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novara - Safari is being discontinued. New models out early 2017

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-16, 03:45 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So says an REI rep when answering this question,

"Red Rover · 19 days ago
Why is this bicycle on sale? Is there a new model coming out?

REIservice · 18 hours ago
The Safari bike is being discontinued. REI will have new bike models coming out in early 2017."

https://www.rei.com/product/874998/n...fari-bike-2016

I'm curious to know if the model is actually being discontinued, or if it's just that a new version is being released. Perhaps this is the end of the road for the Safari after all of these years. I just bought one, and I really love it so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
novara_safari_2.jpg (42.7 KB, 559 views)
Old 08-10-16, 06:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 15,560 Times in 7,332 Posts
I was no English major in college, but it sounds like it has been discontinued.
Old 08-10-16, 08:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I'd guess the odds are 50/50. I've heard similar things about the Randonee a few times, and at least so far when new bikes came in the next spring, they were in the shipment.
Old 08-10-16, 09:00 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
No idea, but they are probably taking up valuable space on the floor. MTBs, hybrids and road bikes fit the bill for 99% of the market. Last time I was at REI, the bike mechanic looked flustered. He had the task of assembling dozens of MTBs for an upcoming sale, and didn't have time to work on bikes.
Old 08-10-16, 09:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My guess : 'Mazama' will be the touring bike from them.
Old 08-10-16, 09:19 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Three touring models is probably too many for a store brand, and they do conflict
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-10-16, 09:25 AM
chintanjadwani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully they'll have a 26" version too in the new line up!
Old 08-10-16, 10:43 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
REI seems to periodically closeout and redesign the Safari model (and its other bikes). Fashion & merchandising are a large part of what drives retailers and REI is no exception. The Mazama seems a nod to the rise in popularity of no-longer-boutique bike-packing style rigging. I'm guessing you'll see a continued merchandising differentiation with a somewhat redesigned Safari as a pannier oriented rig.
Old 08-10-16, 02:14 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by BigAura
REI seems to periodically closeout and redesign the Safari model (and its other bikes). Fashion & merchandising are a large part of what drives retailers and REI is no exception. The Mazama seems a nod to the rise in popularity of no-longer-boutique bike-packing style rigging. I'm guessing you'll see a continued merchandising differentiation with a somewhat redesigned Safari as a pannier oriented rig.

Now if REI could just manage to build the Mazama(and other bikes) to handle more than 250# of total weight.
Rider plus gear limit of 250# really limits a lot of what is already a small segment of the market.
Old 08-10-16, 07:56 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Now if REI could just manage to build the Mazama(and other bikes) to handle more than 250# of total weight.
Rider plus gear limit of 250# really limits a lot of what is already a small segment of the market.
I'm sure that's nothing more than an "artificial limit" set by their legal team. I think a minimum limit of at least 280 would be more realistic.
Old 08-10-16, 08:10 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
I'm sure that's nothing more than an "artificial limit" set by their legal team. I think a minimum limit of at least 280 would be more realistic.
Probably. Or maybe just perhaps.
Thats the thing, you are guessing.

Without such a sticker, i wouldnt even consider rider+pack weight to be an issue, but its slapped on there clear as day.

You mention its the legal team. Ok, maybe. But Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, etc dont have that weight limit.

I bought a Black Mountain Cycles frame last month. Butted cromoly tig welded from Taiwan frame. No weight limit listed.

Trek and Specialized are at 300# for their adventure/touring bikes. But tig'd cromoly Novara bikes are only 250#. A shame.
Old 08-11-16, 08:37 AM
BigAura

Bikes: all steel stable: surly world troller, paris sport fixed, fuji ss

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
I tend to agree with:

As far as REI is concerned, they may be dealing with more customers asking bike weight vs carry capacity. Bike weight seems to be carryover from the racing world and a common checked-point with new bike purchasers. I'd guess REI's content to leave your "small segment" to others.

Surly is a manufacturer that over-builds their bikes with little to no emphasis on the weight of the bike. They state that 300lbs carry-weight is fine and my guess is 350 is probably realistic. Of course they also make the Big Dummy that is set to take on virtually any load.
Old 09-24-16, 03:53 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
It seems it's not the only discontinued Novara model. Apparently, REI is replacing/rebranding all their Novara bikes:

https://gearjunkie.com/rei-bike-brand-co-op-cycles
Old 09-24-16, 05:32 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
Couldn't they come up with a more elegant name for the bike line other than Co-Op? Marketing gem right there for sure.

Q: "What kind of bike is that?"

A: "It's a Co-Op."

"Oh" thinking to himself, what a tightwad, "Do you go by robow?"
Old 09-24-16, 06:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by robow
Couldn't they come up with a more elegant name for the bike line other than Co-Op?
Thought the same thing. They want to market the barnd at a higher level...co-op just doesnt do that in my mind. Ill still probably like their offerings, just like i did the Novara products, but i wont hear that name and synonymously link it with upper end.

Originally Posted by AlanK
It seems it's not the only discontinued Novara model. Apparently, REI is replacing/rebranding all their Novara bikes:

https://gearjunkie.com/rei-bike-brand-co-op-cycles
Mindblown. Hopefully they keep many of the features that made bikes like the Mazama and Randonee such great products.
Old 09-24-16, 11:16 PM
AlanK

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Couldn't they come up with a more elegant name for the bike line other than Co-Op? Marketing gem right there for sure.
I agree. It might be spot on, but in terms of pizzazz and being memorable, it falls flat.

It terms out there's already a thread for this topic, started about 3 days ago, so we should probably continue the discussion there:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cy...op-cycles.html
Old 12-12-16, 02:02 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I have a hard time believing that a chrome moly frame, 36 spoke wheels, and 700 x 48c tires can only handle 250 lbs (rider plus gear). I don't find this to be a credible limit.
Old 12-12-16, 02:15 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by bikemig
I have a hard time believing that a chrome moly frame, 36 spoke wheels, and 700 x 48c tires can only handle 250 lbs (rider plus gear). I don't find this to be a credible limit.

Some group got them to create a weight limit and talked em into it being very conservative...heh heh.

But yes I totally agree. It should easily hold more than the legal stated limit.
Old 12-14-16, 12:03 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I don't quite understand the issue with a 250lb weight limit. I don't Think most people weight more than 200. Maybe I'm wrong. That leaves you 50lb for gear. That's a hell of a lot of gear weight. I certainly wouldn't want to be close to that. I shoot for less than 25lbs personally.

Edit: I just checked and the average weight of a US male is 190lbs. That still leaves a pretty big gap to 210 with 40lbs of gear before you hit 250lbs. I bet their weight limit covers the large majority of the population.

Last edited by 3speed; 12-14-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-14-16, 12:28 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a 2014 Randonee, I weigh 260 and have toured with 4 panniers and a rack pack, roughly 40 pounds of gear 1,800 miles so far without a problem. That weight recommendation is conservative lawyer speak.
Old 12-14-16, 12:36 PM
1Mule

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, '92 Trek 520, Novara Randonee, '89 Allez, Schwinn Sierra beater

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bought my girlfriend a Safari last year for her birthday, I had to instal one of those stem risers on it for her, swapped out the crankset for a 42/32/22 and added Surly Nice Racks front and rear, it's her "go-to" bike for running around town now, she loves that bike.
Old 12-14-16, 12:47 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by 3speed
I don't quite understand the issue with a 250lb weight limit. I don't Think most people weight more than 200. Maybe I'm wrong. That leaves you 50lb for gear. That's a hell of a lot of gear weight. I certainly wouldn't want to be close to that. I shoot for less than 25lbs personally.

Edit: I just checked and the average weight of a US male is 190lbs. That still leaves a pretty big gap to 210 with 40lbs of gear before you hit 250lbs. I bet their weight limit covers the large majority of the population.
Its an issue because, by what most here can see, the limit is absurdly low.
Its low compared to the competition.
Its low when considering the materials used.
Its low considering the average weight of a male user.

REI's adventure and touring bikes are really great products as they are overally well designed and spec'd for the price. This weight limit is a glaring mark against them though and may push buyers elsewhere. Thats the issue.

Yes, the average male is 190. Look around- there are a whole lot over that weight...right about half of all men, actually.
A 6' tall 220# man shouldnt have to even take overall weight into consideration when packing 30# of gear(racks, bags, water, clothes, camping gear, etc) on a cromoly bike with 36 spoke wheels. That person shouldnt have to think whether or not he will exceed the warrantied weight limit of the bike. That just isnt an excessively large man and excessive gear.
Old 12-14-16, 01:01 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Couldn't they come up with a more elegant name for the bike line other than Co-Op?

Well REI is a Consumer Co Op , why are you hung up over branding ?, they didn't burn one in your skin..

Old 12-14-16, 01:44 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
REI has a host of problems, including their wrestling with their "Novara" brand for years. I believe they were set for a major brand overhaul a few years ago, then ran into problem when the new branding strategy wasn't vetted properly. Is "Co-Op" more hi-end? Humm...

One more set-back, and more to come. It's tough to be your hometown co-op, and a national retailer with 12K employees and 6Mil members at the same time. Of course, a significant number of those 6Mil members are pets of members registered to score additional annual coupons...another REI eccentricity.

'Homeless and starving' Seattle employees demand REI union
Old 12-14-16, 02:00 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts

Q: "What kind of bike is that?"

A: "It's a Co-Op."

"Oh" thinking to himself, what a tightwad, "Do you go by robow?"
Reminds me of Netflix's failed Quickster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.