Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you prefer solo rides to group rides, and why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 09:50 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by iterax
Those chance encounters and conversations on the road with other solo riders are ace and may be worthy of its own thread on BF: someone comes alongside you, you roll along for x kilometers and do small talk, and then you head your own separate ways, each one feeling a little bit better about the world.
For all the talk, by some solo riders, about how they don't like groups because they have to put up with the personalities of others, I'll say that the vast majority of cyclists that I've met in real life have been pretty cool, accepting, and easy-going. About the only cantankerous person I've crossed on the road was a guy that got upset with me for announcing my pass.
Old 03-08-21, 10:59 AM
nagakuraruan

Bikes: 2020 Julianna Quincy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Solo! You get to set the pace.
Old 03-08-21, 11:20 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
For all the talk, by some solo riders, about how they don't like groups because they have to put up with the personalities of others, I'll say that the vast majority of cyclists that I've met in real life have been pretty cool, accepting, and easy-going. About the only cantankerous person I've crossed on the road was a guy that got upset with me for announcing my pass.
I've ran into all kinds. I ride C&V bikes with toe cages and straps Stiff soled cycling shoes tend to give me Plantar Fasciitis. I'm currently giving cycling shoes/clipless yet another try. I have to find some without uber stiff soles. Anyway, the most frequent conversation starter from chance encounters is, "You really need to go clipless. It will greatly improve your cycling!"
To which my reply is, "Ding, ding, ding, winner winner, chicken dinner! You're the XXXX(the number changes) person to tell me that. Tried them before. They gave me medical problems."

The funniest encounter was when 2 scrawny climber types caught me at the top of a hill. It was a century ride with a halfway turn around lunch stop. We crested the hill and the terrain flattened out. I went through the gears and began to leave them in the dust. They started whining/crying and asking for help. I slowed down and said I would work with them. I asked them for a speed number then we began to work. We were rolling along and everything was hunky dory. Then we hit another decent hill. They quickly tried to drop me like a bad habit. I said, "Hey, what happened to this working together so we can get down the road faster biz?" They said, "if you can't keep up, that's your problem." They then dropped me. Over the next 15-20 miles the terrain would change from flat to hilly constantly. I would catch and go by them on the flats and they would do the same on the hills. We caught a longish hill and they left me. I topped the hill and the turn around spot was off in the distance. Then I spotted them. They had about 200 yards on me. They turned and spotted me and the race was on! I was closing fast and they were out of their saddles giving everything they had as was I. At the end, I ran out of real estate. I had closed to about 2 bike lengths when we hit the turn around spot. We all dismounted and glared(the look) at each other as we stood in the lunch line. It was one of the better times I've had on a bike.
Old 03-08-21, 12:17 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Solo.
I'm kind of loner, and it's so much easier to only have my own schedule.
I've been on some group rides and enjoyed them, but alas: I'm also one of the very slowest, every time and that's a factor too.
But I actually do enjoy the solitude of rides and getting a chance to be alone with my own thouoghts (i SURE don't put on earphones!)
Old 03-08-21, 12:17 PM
bblevens
Senior Age Man In Lycra

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I wouldn't say that I avoid group rides, but almost all of my riding is solo, for many reasons. I can ride on my own terms, at my own pace (slow), choose my route, and largely avoid disrupting traffic. Also, I'm a sociable person, but riding gives me a chance to be by myself and clear my mind of thoughts.
I ditto this.
I much prefer solo. My Jersey from Cycology says ‘Miles are my Meditation’. That is not far from true.
My friends that ride like to go all out fast all the time. I ride to enjoy the scenery and wildlife. And think.
And nothing better for me then to stop, look around, and think - now where am I and how did I get here.
Old 03-08-21, 12:19 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Who has time to gather even one other rider? And, what are the odds of finding one who rides at the same speed, likes the same routes, and so on? Given those, what's the purpose of riding together? Is it easier to converse if everyone has to stop and breathe, allowing others in?
Old 03-08-21, 12:37 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by TricycleTom
Who has time to gather even one other rider?
You could have texted or emailed another rider in the time it took you to write your post.
Old 03-08-21, 12:40 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Solo. I’m anti-social.
Old 03-08-21, 01:03 PM
Ford

Bikes: Riders: Bianchi sport/tourer and '73 Colnago Super - Also many fully restored Italian steel frame-sets for sale.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I much prefer riding with two or three others rather than a group for reduced complexity of decision-making about stops, routes, etc. I enjoy riding with different friends of varying abilities. Every ride is different, not a race, not necessarily a "training ride." Just A Ride.
Old 03-08-21, 01:04 PM
gofish44

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I think you'll find most people in the world are quite happy riding in 20° weather.
Agree. I could add that my wife prefers it when I give her age in Celsius!
Old 03-08-21, 01:21 PM
355Mono

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Groups. I like the com-Ride-ery.
Likes For 355Mono:
Old 03-08-21, 01:22 PM
bbberlin

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Prefer solo

Originally Posted by kirbyx
Does anyone out there prefer solo rides, and avoids group rides. Why do you have that preference?
I do some small friendly group rides but I prefer solo. I do mostly touring and I like the solitude and the opportunity to think aloud. Plus I am not a fast rider. I’m in no hurry and I’m not training for a race. I ride at Party Pace and take the time to observe and appreciate my surroundings.
Old 03-08-21, 01:44 PM
TricycleTom

Bikes: Jeunet 12, Car-Cycle X-4, Aerovironment Charger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You could have texted or emailed another rider in the time it took you to write your post.
I don't even know another rider around here.
Old 03-08-21, 02:40 PM
Ed333

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hit Factor
I prefer to ride with my wife. The two of us is the biggest group I've ridden with.
I ride with my wife, but I wouldn't call us a group. I once had a tandem, and quickly sold it, that was a divorce bike.
mostly I don't want to be Old and In the Way, so solo it is. I gave up on trying to prove anything a long time ago. In my 9th decade, who'd of thunk it.
Old 03-08-21, 02:59 PM
WhyFi

I get a chuckle out of the responses along the lines of, "no, I don't like group rides, I just like to go out with 1-5 of my friends."

Old 03-08-21, 03:07 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4946 Post(s)
Liked 8,087 Times in 3,826 Posts
I get a chuckle out of the responses along the lines of, "no, I don't like group rides, I just like to go out with 1-5 of my friends."

I kinda get it. I wouldn't really call my ride yesterday with 3 friends a "group" ride, even though we all stack up into a tight single or double line formation out of habit. I'm not exactly sure where the "group" line is, but it's more than 4 (IMO, YMMV).
Old 03-08-21, 03:09 PM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I ride solo mostly, I belong to a club and would ride with them but their rides are all in the morning. I have too much to do in the morning and don't like to get up early anyway. So I ride solo and set my own pace and route and enjoy the solitude.
Old 03-08-21, 04:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Eric F
I kinda get it. I wouldn't really call my ride yesterday with 3 friends a "group" ride, even though we all stack up into a tight single or double line formation out of habit. I'm not exactly sure where the "group" line is, but it's more than 4 (IMO, YMMV).
If you're riding with someone else, it is, by definition, a group - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/group

God, I hate being the guy that posts a link to a definition..
Old 03-08-21, 04:23 PM
RonE

Bikes: 2010 Giant Rapid - Trek 820 - 1968 Schwinn Continental

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Solo. But, I am an introverted loner.
Old 03-08-21, 04:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

If you're riding with someone else, it is, by definition, a group - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/group

God, I hate being the guy that posts a link to a definition..
Yes, anything more than one is technically a "group". In my experience with cycling, "group rides" have a different feel that comes with it being more than just a few folks riding together. This is my opinion, and yours might be different...which is why I included "IMO, YMMV".

Just because you can be pedantic, doesn't mean you need to be
Old 03-08-21, 04:29 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
I've tried group rides but slowing my pace or having people wait for me is just not for me. Solo touring and the idea of overcoming difficulty on your own is where the sense of accomplishment and joy come from for me.. Mass rides are a different matter. They feel more like an informal race and there's no need to stick together. I think it's a matter of personality.
Old 03-08-21, 04:34 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed333
I ride with my wife, but I wouldn't call us a group. I once had a tandem, and quickly sold it, that was a divorce bike.
mostly I don't want to be Old and In the Way, so solo it is. I gave up on trying to prove anything a long time ago. In my 9th decade, who'd of thunk it.
Interesting. Having my wife as stocker put her at my direction without discussion or argument and changed our dynamic at least for the length of the ride. We both liked it. I finally got the last word.😅
Old 03-08-21, 04:40 PM
WhyFi

Yes, anything more than one is technically a "group". In my experience with cycling, "group rides" have a different feel that comes with it being more than just a few folks riding together. This is my opinion, and yours might be different...which is why I included "IMO, YMMV".
Yeah, I absolutely agree that big group rides have a different feel than small group rides, but that doesn't mean that two people isn't a group or, heaven forbid, is a "solo" outing.

Just because you can be pedantic, doesn't mean you need to be
You must be new, here.

Old 03-08-21, 04:54 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Yeah, I absolutely agree that big group rides have a different feel than small group rides, but that doesn't mean that two people isn't a group or, heaven forbid, is a "solo" outing.
You must be new, here.
We definitely agree that "solo" is one, and only one. What do we call two "solo" riders riding next to each other?

Yes, I'm new(ish) here, but I've spent way too much time over way too many years burning through my work days on other discussion forum sites. Every site has that pedantic guy.
Old 03-08-21, 05:27 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by TricycleTom
I don't even know another rider around here.
That's a different issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.