Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

To buy or not to buy, that's the question.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-17, 04:06 AM
DTG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I figured to put it here since the bike at hand would get more use commuting.

Anyway, have you ever wanted something but just can't get around to buying it for yourself? You figure after time, the thought will go away but in actuality, it doesn't. My situation is from the moment I saw the Jamis Renegade Elite, it's been on my mind non stop. That bike checks off so many things I want in a bike, hell, things I thought I had with my 2015 Diverge Comp Carbon. Don't get me wrong, I still love and cherish my Diverge but that Jamis is on another level with the things you can do with it.

In short, what do you do in those trying times of wanting something but not pulling the trigger? The money for the bike and few upgrades isn't the issue. I'm just trying to justify it overall even though I have in my head multiple times. I'm torn and at a crossroad. What would you do or what have you done when faced with this dilemma?
Old 05-10-17, 04:59 AM
john_mct

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They're both too freakin nice to be commuters, first of all...my heart really goes out to you struggling with this decision. Buy it if it will make you happy, it probably won't though...there will be another awesome bike in three years. The Jamis is a bike, that you can pedal places, just like the one you have...there is no other level of what one can do on a bike, especially when comparing two that are so very similar...
Old 05-10-17, 05:18 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Stop over thinking it. One bike is all you need, all the others are wants. If you want it then you should buy it, especially if money isn't an issue.
Old 05-10-17, 05:21 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
SWMBO: "It's always been up to you. Don't worry, I can make the budget work. It will just have to come out of the vacation fund. I just want you to be happy."
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 05-10-17, 05:32 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG

Anyway, have you ever wanted something but just can't get around to buying it for yourself? You figure after time, the thought will go away but in actuality, it doesn't.My situation is from the moment I saw the Jamis Renegade Elite, it's been on my mind non stop.

Tha
t bike checks off so many things I want in a bike, hell, things I thought I had with my 2015 Diverge Comp Carbon. Don't get me wrong, I still love and cherish my Diverge but that Jamis is on another level with the things you can do with it.

In short, what do you do in those trying times of wanting something but not pulling the trigger? The money for the bike and few upgrades isn't the issue. I'm just trying to justify it overall even though I have in my head multiple times. I'm torn and at a crossroad. What would you do or what have you done when faced with this dilemma?
I have posted,
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
. As almost all bike lock threads admit, no lock is fool-proof….

My bikes are perfectly suited to me, so besides the expense of buying a new bike, the hassle of just shopping for a new one with my limited time to shop would be intolerable.…
I hate to shop, but I much prefer to buy something important for myself rather than by someone else. Furthermore if I really needed/wanted it I would not expect my yearning to disappear.

My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing."

Regarding buying the bike,
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Stop overthinking it. One bike is all you need, all the others are wants. If you want it then you should buy it, especially if money isn't an issue.
Whenever I’m asked about buying a bike my questions are what do you want it for, and how much to spend? IMO bikes of similar quality by brand names stratify in groups of about approximately $US 200 intervals.

I don’t comment on specific brands /components…but I have lived a cycling lifestyle for 40 years, including decades of a year-round minimal 14-mile one way commute in Boston.

With that in mind, last year I bought a bike that might be ideal for your [@windywheels'] situation: The Diverge [Elite] is my equivalent of a Lexus.
…After 40 years of cycle commuting on a year-round minimal one-way 14 mile route, I have this year finally assembled IMO, the perfect bicycle fleet
  • One nearly year-round dry, clean-road bike (carbon fiber road bike,except for deep winter with lingering salt)
  • One year-round wet,dirty-road bike (aluminum road bike, just recently acquired [Diverge Elite, outfitted with 30 C studded tires for winter, trunk bag with fold–out panniers, computer, clipless pedals and fenders]
  • One winter bike for anything (steel mountain bike with Marathon Winter studded tires always on, for the least possibility of ice; I could use it for trails without the studs, but I don't do that kind of riding).
The first two bikes are smooth, easy riding,and easy to carry up stairs; the third is a heavy and significantly tougher ride…

Now
the Cannondale is reserved completely for miserable studded-tire riding,and I'm happy about that, and my riding needs are completely met. I liken my three bikes to a Lamborghini, a Lexus, and a Humvee.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-10-17 at 06:23 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 05:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
SWMBO: "It's always been up to you. Don't worry, I can make the budget work. It will just have to come out of the vacation fund. I just want you to be happy."
I had to look up SWMBO.
...BTW, after I recovered from my cycling accident that put me in the Hospital for 6 weeks, totaled my steel Bridgestone RB-1, and I was riding my heavy MTB, I wanted to get a carbon fiber bike, figuring about $2k. I boldly asked my wife to spend $4k, and she was OK with that.

Good thing I did, because my LBS got me a $8k bike, year-end model for half off.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-10-17 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-10-17, 08:44 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Spending is good for the economy.
Old 05-10-17, 08:56 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
Originally Posted by DTG

Anyway, have you ever wanted something but just can't get around to buying it for yourself? You figure after time, the thought will go away but in actuality, it doesn't.
That's a great question. I try to be aware of that all the time, and it's one of my gates for buying something, especially something expensive. I try to avoid impulse purchases. If I forget about it, then I didn't really want it or need it. So wanting something for a long time is an indicator that something may be worth buying.

In my case I've been commuting on a CrossCheck for 4 years now. After one more school year I'm sending a kid off to college, and I was hoping to send my commuter with him and use that as an excuse to upgrade. I'm thinking Volagi Viaje (hey what happened to Volagi.com -- did they go out of business?!), or some cheap Ti. Problem is, my kid doesn't like my bike, so I got some marketing to do...

However in your particular case, I have a hard time distinguishing what's so amazingly great about the Jamis that the Diverge is lacking. I mean, that Jamis is a kickass bike, but so is the bird in the hand. I would definitely not want to own both of those bikes, they're so similar.

So here's what you do. Take the price you paid for the Diverge, and cut it in half. That's what you can reasonably expect to get for it on Craigslist. Subtract that from the price of the Jamis. Add the price of the intended upgrades. If that total price is something you can afford, and are willing to spend, then go for it.
Old 05-10-17, 10:53 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this is a dilemma i deal with constantly. how do i solve it? luckily, i can work overtime. at which point, i'm either too tired to care for buying the thing i wanted anymore or i can't wait to get it and i love it forever. i let exhaustion do the talking.

but mostly, like others have stated above, i start with the most expensive offering and work my way down the list of features of things that i can do without and things that i cannot compromise on.

i looked at the Jamis too - also for commuting.

i ended up getting a GT Grade Sora because ultimately, i was going to be commuting on it and the GT had all of the the things i wanted and none of the stuff i didn't plus it was a holdover from last year that fit me well and so it was a great price. i ended up using the money i saved to upgrade the components and make it more comparable to the jamis but only in places where it mattered most to me personally (new TRP spyres and discs and new tiagra components).

either way, if its eating at you like that, just do it, you'll regret it later. the jamis is a nice bike...
Old 05-10-17, 11:21 AM
Jim from Boston

"To buy or not to buy, that's the question."…I hate to shop, but I much prefer to buy something important for myself rather than by someone else. Furthermore if I really needed/wanted it I would not expect my yearning to disappear.

My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot ofprice/value
Originally Posted by srestrepo
this is a dilemma i deal with constantly.how do i solve it?…

but mostly, like others have stated above, i start with the most expensive offering and work my way down the list of features of things that i can do without and things that i cannot compromise on….
Just his morning, same as my post, I became intrigued with the idea that I could use a videocamera for biking.
Old 05-10-17, 12:36 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just his morning, same as my post, I became intrigued with the idea that I could use a videocamera for biking.
nothing like wondering how much better that castelli jacket is over the one i presently have... surely there has to be some tangible difference in quality and feel that would improve my life in some enormous way... also jim, i wish i had the chance to ride around boston daily. i'm in springfield and let me tell you - its a battlefield out here. we barely have any bike infrastructure or people accustomed to riding our here like you might in boston.
Old 05-10-17, 12:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

@Jim from Boston well it does help if you have a compelling story and you've hit max out-of-pocket on your insurance plan!
Old 05-10-17, 01:08 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by RubeRad
I'm thinking Volagi Viaje (hey what happened to Volagi.com -- did they go out of business?!)
Founder and chief engineer had a wreck last year and suffered a TBI. News since then has mostly been about his recovery, not the bike business.
https://www.google.com/search?q=vola...volagi&tbm=nws
Old 05-10-17, 05:34 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 2,539 Posts
wow, that's terrible!
Old 05-10-17, 06:35 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Yep. Jamis Renegade is the #1 bike on my list. However, as nice as it is, I'm not willing to fork out the dollars. I have an excellent commuter (ebike) that gets the most ride time. I have a road bike that has been getting hardly any miles lately because of the weather (and when we get the rare nice day, I've been choosing to use that time for some golf that has also been rare this year.) I guess I'm not in the market... but if I were, it would be a Jamis Renegade.
Old 05-11-17, 04:39 AM
DTG

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Stop over thinking it. One bike is all you need, all the others are wants. If you want it then you should buy it, especially if money isn't an issue.
As much as some people believe that, I could never get on board with that line. The same could be said about jeans, shoes, etc. I know you have more than one pair of shoes, right?
Old 05-11-17, 04:40 AM
DTG

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I like the way you think good sir!
Old 05-11-17, 04:53 AM
DTG

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad

However in your particular case, I have a hard time distinguishing what's so amazingly great about the Jamis that the Diverge is lacking. I mean, that Jamis is a kickass bike, but so is the bird in the hand. I would definitely not want to own both of those bikes, they're so similar.
On the outside, it seems they are the same bike but in actuality, they are not. Things are significantly different. The Jamis is in fact an upgrade, the carbon frame is superior to the Specialized, group set, Shimano 805's, dropper seat post compatible, Jamis did the stress testing of the frame and fork.......25 lbs up front and 25 lbs in the back (lowriders and/or a rear rack), tubeless compatible tires out the gate, and bottle mounts on the underside of the downtube.

As I've said, the Diverge is a great bike, the Jamis is just overall better. I've gone bikepacking with the Diverge but I would never go beyond bikepacking bags since I wouldn't want to test the Carbon in that regard. Some would say no biggie but that's easier said than done. With the Jamis, they have already done the R&D as well as the stress testing, so it's a given what you can actually do compared to what you think you might be able to do.
Old 05-11-17, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

I hate to shop, but I much prefer to buy something important for myself rather than by someone else. Furthermore if I really needed/wanted it I would not expect my yearning to disappear.

My shopping strategy for something important is to look at the high end (expensive) models first, just to know what’s available and then whittle downwards to find what’s acceptable, the so-called sweet spot of price/value.

I’ve participated in several popcorn threads on BF about the value of “expensive” bikes (I have one), and my last word is "At least I have no buyer's remorse about what I may be missing."
this is a dilemma i deal with constantly. how do i solve it? luckily, i can work overtime. at which point, i'm either too tired to care for buying the thing I wanted anymore or i can't wait to get it and i love it forever. i let exhaustion do the talking.

but mostly, like others have stated above, i start with the most expensive offering and work my way down the list of features of things that i can do without and things that i cannot compromise on.
nothing like wondering how much better that castelli jacket is over the one i presently have... surely there has to be some tangible difference in quality and feel that would improve my life in some enormous way...

also
jim, i wish i had the chance to ride around boston daily. i'm in springfield and let me tell you -its a battlefield out here. we barely have any bike infrastructure or people accustomed to riding our here like you might in boston
Hi @srestrepo,

Thanks for your reply, I’m not familiar with Castelli jackets, but actually for such an important item like a jacket, my wife bought mine for me as a gift, and it was a good choice (she has good taste and bought it at my trusted LBS...and it was an offer I could not refuse, from SWMBO ).

I didn’t note originally that that you are from Western MA (Springfield). I’ve only ridden far west of I-495 on one short tour about as far as Westfield, and one weekend ride in the Berkshires. Do you know Boston? It is indeed a great place to cycle. As I have posted on a few threads,
... I personally enjoy showing visitors around Boston, and I have offered some open-ended invitations on a few Forums to look me up if visiting Boston, for advice or to meet up. I do usually need a couple days notice to alter my schedule…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-11-17 at 06:02 AM.