Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Carrying a fishing pole on your bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-23, 08:03 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts

I went online and noticed several types of "holder" that bolt or clamp onto the rear in various ways. I have a rack back there so not really sure what will fit. I thought that I recalled at some point seeing a sort of tube that would attach to the top tube, but even at that type I would have to check to see if the rod would fit inside it.

There is a local park with paved paths throughout that also has a decent pond. I off and on see a lot of folks fishing there so it is either a good spot, or a fished out spot, but I want to give it a go anyway.

Ideas welcomed. Thanks.
Old 06-19-23, 08:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,437 Times in 2,763 Posts
You might look for hints among the many golf club solutions posted here. My fly rod breaks down and fits, reel attached, into a 2.5' case. Could easily fit on a rear rack.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-19-23, 08:48 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
I carry handlines like a Cuban yoyo reel or Tenkara Japanese fly rod Kabar kaster is another option. The handlines. Fits easily in a trunk bag. The Tenkara rod is collapsible and I bogo tie it to the top tube
Old 06-19-23, 09:01 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
Carrying fishing rods - Bike Forums
Likes For freeranger:
Old 06-19-23, 09:10 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
I carry a longer pole for shore casting in the bay. Broken down it is still 5' long. It rides on my top tube with a bungee cord but would also do well with a couple of velcro straps.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 06-19-23, 09:16 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 976 Posts
Here is what you need:

Likes For alcjphil:
Old 06-19-23, 09:16 AM
Breadfan

Bikes: Niner RLT 9, 1972 Nishiki Road Compe, Jamis Renegade, Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 39 Posts
I mounted a PVC rod holder on my fork and it worked great for me. The places I went didn't have overhanging trees so I had no worries there where you may have some. If you have a 2 piece rod and the PVC was big enough to hold both pieces, it may work if you are going through the woods.
Old 06-19-23, 09:57 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
They still make them. I have one some where.
when I was an early teenager in the seventies I roamed around the area where my dad grew up. There were a lot of Abandoned farms the old folks had passed away and the kids didn't want to live like there parents. It was traditional to drop a bluegill in the well if you weren't going to use it daily. I would carry a pocket fisherman and a jar of pickles crickets and fish the wells . I caught many hugh bluegill
Likes For plumberroy:
Old 06-19-23, 10:19 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by freeranger

Thanks, this gives me some good ideas even if the product links are hit and miss being that old.
Old 06-19-23, 10:38 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 441 Posts
When I was touring I carried a telescoping rod and it worked fine. Something like this:

Eagle Claw Pack-It Telescopic Spinning Rod, Yellow, 5-Feet 6-Inch
Old 06-19-23, 11:27 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 373 Posts
I've never figured out if I am a cyclist who fishes, or an angler who cycles, correct answer is 2 piece rod rubberbanded together in a back pack ( cause you need one for tackle anyway) with the zippers meeting 2" from the top and held together with a bread twisty thing so they don't come open. Oh and Revlon nail file is the best hook sharpener there is.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 06-19-23, 12:08 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by wheelreason
I've never figured out if I am a cyclist who fishes, or an angler who cycles, correct answer is 2 piece rod rubberbanded together in a back pack ( cause you need one for tackle anyway) with the zippers meeting 2" from the top and held together with a bread twisty thing so they don't come open. Oh and Revlon nail file is the best hook sharpener there is.
I think I have become more along the lines of a guy that would rather ride my bike to the various spots on this particular reservoir than to walk. I haven't ridden regularly in so long as to use the cyclist tag would be misleading (so to speak).

I recently discovered that ALL of my fishing gear came up missing after moving it to the attic to be out of the way. Couldn't find one stick of it, so I went out and picked up a cheap rig just to see if I am going to make it a habit. The pole that I have is about 3' plus and inch or two broken down and likely around 6' together. I have no plans as of yet to get another, and really never have liked those 'mini' rigs.

Looking at all this I think my first outing is likely to be using some velcro straps or similar that I already have on hand and see how that works out. Will adjust from there accordingly. Thanks all very much for the great replies and suggestions.
Old 06-19-23, 01:15 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
I have strapped mine to the top tube, disassembled in 2 or 3 pieces, I forget.
just leave enough slack in the line to move the 2 or 3 pieces. then on arrival, insert all pieces & take up the slack
Old 06-19-23, 03:59 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 820 Times in 412 Posts
As a kid I carried a fishing pole on my bike by tying it to the frame. I used the same technique to carry my .22 rifle, my grandfather’s old Cavalry saber, and golf clubs. I got into the most trouble with the golf clubs.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-19-23, 04:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
In your pocket.

Old 06-20-23, 03:29 AM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I don't fish so I don't know anything about the equipment. Is it something you could put in a pannier or something like that? I have carried two 4ft shop lights home inside a pannier before. (They are LED so they only weigh 2-3lb each with the box.) They stuck out, but I used straps to tie them down so they did not fall over or move too much.

Maybe you can do something similar?
Old 06-20-23, 03:36 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 140 Posts
This guy, Russ, on https://www.pathlesspedaled.com/ fly fishes.
He's posted a lot on youtube.
I haven't looked but I imagine he's talked some on carrying his gear.
Old 06-20-23, 05:34 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I bike and I fish but only twice have I biked somewhere to fish. Nonetheless, when I fish I use telescopic rods (that collapse down to less than 2ft) for any fishing that doesn't require my 2-piece 10' and 11' surf rods. Telescopic rods come in various lengths (I like 2.4m and 2.7m for casting distance; I primarily fish saltwater) but are limited to ~3oz casting weight. When collapsed down they fit into a backpack or pannier bag (roll top with the top open), or you can just strap it to a rack.
Old 06-20-23, 01:49 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 122 Posts
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sougayila...vel/1804917659
'
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-set?a=2246735
'
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Leo-Porta...-Kit/744167458
'
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lixada-Po...iABEgJIY_D_BwE
Old 06-21-23, 10:42 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Back in my youth I biked to fish often. I have used rubber bands to hold both sections of a spinning rod together and just held on top of my handle bars. However there was way less traffic in those days and it was all city street to my fishing spots. I also attached a piece of pvc conduit to my top tube and carried a short two piece fly rod in that. That worked. Fast forward to today and I have not biked to fish but if I did i now have 4 piece fly rods and they would be easy to carry in a day back. Modern fishing rod manufactures have nearly perfected the multi piece rod, and they have been on the market for decades. For example I have a 8.5' Orvis HLS Adams 4 piece 4 weight that I used to be able to cast nearly a full fly line with, of course back when I was in practice. Even better than that I once watched Left Kreh doing a casting demonstration at the Seattle Sportsman Expo (in the King Dome!) cast with a 9 piece rod a full fly line while removing sections from the butt one at a time until he had about 5 sections left.

A warning though about carrying a rod in a pvc tube that is vertical. My youngest son was given my late father's custom fly rod from my mother along with a custom made pvc tube. He was carrying on his bike attached to his rack in a vertical position and hit overhead branches with it and thus breaking it. He was emotionally distraught for a bit after that and rightfully so.

Last edited by Black wallnut; 06-21-23 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-21-23, 11:43 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1610 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,225 Posts
If you ride with a pole longer than the bike, make sure you have the extra length and tip out front. You dont want to swing your leg over and catch the pole.