Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear shifting woes - running out of options

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 04:37 PM
hazzak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My rear derailleur isn't shifting very consistently, particularly across the smaller 5 cogs on the 10 speed cassette. What I've tried so far

- checked rear hanger alignment with Park Tools alignment tool as well as removing it and checking it on a flat surface
- new inner cable and checked it was moving smoothly through all the housing
- cleaned rear derailleur and made sure it was moving smoothly
- checked wheel alignment and that the cassette was tight on the wheel
- adjusted cable tension but can only get either reliable shifting up or reliable shifting down but not both

I'm running out of ideas for what could be causing my shifting problems. I've managed to get it to the point where it shifts through most gears apart from a couple of the middle cogs where I need to move the shifter until it clicks and then give it a little extra nudge, before it gets to the second click, to encourage it to shift up.

By the process of elimination, assuming the cable and derailleur are fine then it must be the shifter, however it appears to click through all 10 positions fine both up and down. I've read about lots of cases of Shimano shifters jamming up and not clicking through at all but never of one having uneven cable pull between indexing positions?

Anyone have any other ideas as to what else it could be?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1548.JPG (80.0 KB, 12 views)
IMG_1549.jpg (80.1 KB, 12 views)
IMG_1550.jpg (90.3 KB, 11 views)
IMG_1557.jpg (80.7 KB, 13 views)
IMG_1558.JPG (93.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by hazzak; 01-25-14 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-23-14, 04:47 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 3,940 Times in 2,347 Posts
The only thing left is cable casing to replace. Are the casing ends in good shape? What you describe sounds like friction issues. Is the cable run internal? How worn is the chain and cassette? When you cleaned the der did you remove the pulleys? If so it's possible to get them wrong on reinstall. Is the cable properly routed at the anchor bolt.

But I suspect cable friction. Andy.
Old 01-23-14, 04:51 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Need some more clarity and info first.

When did the problem start, and did any incident or repair procedure precede it?

You refer to shifting "up" but that's not clear. Does the problem occur when shifting to larger or smaller cogs - or in both directions?

Is the problem the same on the large chainwheel and next smaller?

How consistent is the problem, and are there any variables you have not mentioned?
Old 01-23-14, 04:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5900 Post(s)
Liked 2,768 Times in 1,546 Posts
Before you take up heavy drinking, try a diagnostic experiment.

Adjust the trim, so you get nice crisp down shifting (to larger sprockets). Now down shift until you get to one of those shifts that hang. Pluck the bare wire at the down tube like a guitar string (pluck hard). Do this a number of times in various problem shift situations. If it generally completes the shift after plucking, your issue is sluggish cable return via the RD return spring.

The cause could be thick lube in the housing, a worn liner - probably in the rear loop, or some other source of friction like bad alignment where the housing enters a fitting. It could also be a lever issue where internal friction is a bit high for the RD spring.

A very common cause is a rear housing loop cut short and entering the RD fitting at an angle because it's pulling upward. You can test this easily enough using a rubber band to tighten the radius or the rear loop's curve adjusting it until it enters the fitting straight on.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 01-23-14, 05:01 PM
hazzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fitted a new groupset a few weeks ago and shifting was OK initially but degraded recently. When I say "up" I mean shifting to a larger cog on the cassette. I can either adjust the cable tension to shift better to smaller cogs or better to larger cogs but can't get it perfect for both.

The problem occurs ~75% of shifts over the problematic area (middle of the cassette in particular).
Old 01-23-14, 05:12 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by hazzak
I fitted a new groupset a few weeks ago and shifting was OK initially but degraded recently. When I say "up" I mean shifting to a larger cog on the cassette. I can either adjust the cable tension to shift better to smaller cogs or better to larger cogs but can't get it perfect for both.

The problem occurs ~75% of shifts over the problematic area (middle of the cassette in particular).
I read the OP, and other than having up and downshifting reversed, my answer is still the same. Try the guitar string test, and see if plucking changes anything.

BTW- in the bicycle world, the terms up and downshifting are used the same as with cars. Upshift means to a higher gear, or toward a smaller rear sprocket. Not that this changes anything here.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 01-23-14, 05:14 PM
hazzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I read the OP, and other than having up and downshifting reversed, my answer is still the same. Try the guitar string test, and see if plucking changes anything.

BTW- in the bicycle world, the terms up and downshifting are used the same as with cars. Upshift means to a higher gear, or toward a smaller rear sprocket. Not that this changes anything here.
Apologies for the confusion. I was just clarifying for cny-bikeman. Will give the guitar string trick a go and report back with what happens.
Old 01-23-14, 05:22 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 515 Posts
This is a bike with the aero STIs, right?

I'm running out of ideas for what could be causing my shifting problems.
Shimano is causing your shifting problems. This system isn't reliable; it requires the condition of the cable and housing to be between perfect and almost perfect. The previous 10s stuff was pushing it, and then they added friction by routing the cables under the tape without increasing cable pull, although they did change it slightly and broke compatibility.

If you really want to kick it in the arse, Ergos and a Shiftmate.
Old 01-23-14, 05:40 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Kimmo
This is a bike with the aero STIs, right?

Shimano is causing your shifting problems. This system isn't reliable; it requires the condition of the cable and housing to be between perfect and almost perfect. .
Be nice. Yes, the RD spring could be stronger and assure a more consistent cable return on upshifts, but the problem isn't as bad as all that. The vase number of clients enjoy clean, crisp, and reliable shifting (as long as the housings are clean and in good shape).

OTOH, maybe Shimano is intentionally making this a bit finicky, hoping folks will move away from "unreliable" cable to electronic shifting.

Old 01-23-14, 07:37 PM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The way I remember it is "up" refers to speed. Smaller rear cog, bigger front cog.
Old 01-23-14, 10:11 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
shifting slow at middle of cassette ? compared to extremes ends?
notice cassette profile is concave towards middle ; increased gap at middle = less response

bring derailer closer to cogs
b-tension out, and check housing loop isn't too tight
Old 01-23-14, 10:51 PM
techie2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a similar issue. I tracked mine to a neglected chain. You don't mention checking it so, have you? Mine was pretty dry but a bit of oil cleared up my shifting issues.

Joe
Old 01-24-14, 08:46 AM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by techie2
Had a similar issue. I tracked mine to a neglected chain. You don't mention checking it so, have you? Mine was pretty dry but a bit of oil cleared up my shifting issues.

Joe
Thanks for bringing this up. Better lubrication makes a chain more supple, and improves shifting. This is probably the easiest thing to check since it doesn't involve taking anything apart, and the chain could always use fresh lube. On my bikes I consider finicky shifting to be the first hint that it may be time to re-oil the chain.

Anoter consideration is that with wear chains become more flexible sideways and this can mean more overshift is needed for the chain to make the jump. The issue is worst when the jockey wheel sprocket distance is greatest, so it's usually felt at the small end of the cassette.

Old 01-24-14, 01:10 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Make sure the cable is connected to the correct side of the pinch bolt. It makes a big difference in shifting. bk
Old 01-24-14, 03:00 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
The way I remember it is "up" refers to speed. Smaller rear cog, bigger front cog.
That's right, just like on a car, upshifting means to a higher gear ratio, as in "high gear". You can go any speed you want though on a bike in any gear. It is the auto engine that can't accommodate a wide range of gears at different speeds.
Old 01-25-14, 02:48 PM
hazzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The chain and cassette are both pretty new (<200 miles). I've just changed the inner, outer and all ferrules which didn't improve things.

FBinNY: I've tried plucking the gear cables and it didn't seem to help with the upshifting. However, I did notice that on the problematic gears the first time I click the STI lever the rear derailleur moves by almost the correct amount (not enough to complete the shift, obviously) but if I subsequently downshift and then upshift in that position there is almost no movement of the rear derailleur. Could this be indicative of some kind of friction issue?
Old 01-25-14, 02:54 PM
FBinNY 

The chain and cassette are both pretty new (<200 miles). I've just changed the inner, outer and all ferrules which didn't improve things.

FBinNY: I've tried plucking the gear cables and it didn't seem to help with the upshifting. However, I did notice that on the problematic gears the first time I click the STI lever the rear derailleur moves by almost the correct amount (not enough to complete the shift, obviously) but if I subsequently downshift and then upshift in that position there is almost no movement of the rear derailleur. Could this be indicative of some kind of friction issue?
Yes, good trim in the pulled direction and poor trim in the spring direction is a solid indicator that the cable friction is too high for the spring. Given that plucking didn't help, I suspect the likeliest source for excess friction is in the rear loop (chainstay/RD).

Take a good look at the loop, especially where it enters the RD fitting. Often loops are cut short, and end up entering the fitting at an angle rather than straight on. Or possibly it's just wear. Find a length of housing to replace, and cut it so the lead to the fitting is straight on. --- To determine the right length, I fit the loop into the RD fitting, and lead it toward the chainstay fitting, pulling forward or back until it naturally makes the turn and enters the fitting straight on. This is most obvious if you leave off any tight fitting ferrule so the housing is free to leave at an angle.

Old 01-25-14, 02:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
Die drawn cables are a big improvement, because they are slicker on the outside surface..

the die flattens the outside of the cable.
Old 01-25-14, 03:00 PM
hazzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried replacing the rear loop with a longer piece of housing that gives a straighter entry into the derailleur and that didn't help. If it was purely a friction problem would there not be shifting issues across the whole cassette?

Also, is it reasonable to assume that if the shifter is clicking through each position properly then it isn't malfunctioning? Has anyone experience unreliable shifting over just a few gears as a result of a faulty Shimano STI lever?
Old 01-25-14, 03:05 PM
FBinNY 

I've tried replacing the rear loop with a longer piece of housing that gives a straighter entry into the derailleur and that didn't help. If it was purely a friction problem would there not be shifting issues across the whole cassette?

Also, is it reasonable to assume that if the shifter is clicking through each position properly then it isn't malfunctioning? Has anyone experience unreliable shifting over just a few gears as a result of a faulty Shimano STI lever?
Sometimes mechanical issues just need a fresh pair of eyes. If you list your area of residence, someone might be able to refer to a skilled mechanic who might spot something not obvious over the net.

Old 01-25-14, 05:07 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What drive train is this guy talking about? How many speeds? model? etc? Bicycle type and model?
Old 01-25-14, 07:00 PM
hazzak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame with a Shimano 105 5600 10 speed groupset. The bike originally came fitted with a 9 speed 105 group and I recently changed it out for the 5600, which is what I'm currently having problems with.

I've updated the OP with some photos of the drivetrain. I noticed that the cable goes through a bit of a kink over the BB shell which might add friction, however from what I can tell it's always been like that even when the gears shifted properly.

I'm in Oxford, UK. Been working on the bike at the local bike co-op with a couple of bike mechanics and they've pretty much suggested the things that have come up in this thread.

Last edited by hazzak; 01-25-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-25-14, 08:22 PM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
I'll just throw this one out there. I had a poorly shifting bike once. Drove me nuts. Then I noticed that a previous owner had used brake housing for the loop instead of shifter housing. Not to insult your intelligence, but just thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-25-14, 10:43 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
hazzak, Grasping at straws here, but the jockey wheel on the RD should have a little 'wobble' to allow the chain to fall onto the cog. I have had a shifting issue in the middle of a cassette on the upshift (to a smaller cog) that depended on the RD's spring to actuate. I can only guess in my case is that is where the closest ratios were. The cause for me was too short a housing run to the RD, the housing in your photo certainly looks long enough. Your problem is on the downshift (to a larger cog) where you provide the shift pressure. Is it possible that the cable housing isn't properly seated in the STI's body? Again, grasping at straws.

Brad
Old 01-25-14, 11:53 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bkaapcke
Make sure the cable is connected to the correct side of the pinch bolt. It makes a big difference in shifting. bk
+1
If the cable is attached to the wrong side of the derailleur pinch bolt the actuation ratio will be wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.