Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Installing rack on Cannondale

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-19, 09:57 PM
mooooo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased Topeak Explorer rack for 2019 Cannondale Quick 7.

My problem is that provided screws won't fit inside the hole near rear wheel although screws are perfect fit for holes below the seat.
Anyone know the size of screws I need?
Old 07-24-19, 10:44 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Any paint clogging up the threads on the frame?
Old 07-25-19, 05:40 AM
mooooo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that seems to be the problem. I don't get it. why not put a pair of screws just like in other places. why leave holes?
Old 07-25-19, 03:08 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by mooooo
that seems to be the problem. I don't get it. why not put a pair of screws just like in other places. why leave holes?
The upper mount screws go in to inserts in the frame (ie: holes)
You need to keep them closed (by putting screws in them) so that dirt/moisture/spiders don't have an easy way inside the frame tubes.

The mounts on rear dropout are holes through a solid metal plate, no need to seal them off. Also, a bolt that's long enough to go through the rack and the dropout may be too long when installed without a rack, and interfere with the smallest sprocket.
Finally, it is a cost saving to the mfgr. Why include rack mounting hardware with the bike, if not every owner will install a rack? (And racks typically come with mounting hardware) Yeah, it's only a buck or two extra per bike, but if you're making tens of thousands of bikes per year, it adds up.

To clear the threads on your bike, you need what's know as a 'chasing tap' It's designed to clear paint, dirt, light damage from a threaded hole (rack mount) without trying to re-cut new threads. Most likely an M5 metric thread.
You can get these at most auto-parts houses, or your LBS / co-op probably has one. Only takes a couple of minutes.
Old 07-14-20, 08:10 PM
erf60657

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you ever find out the size of the screw needed? I have the exact same problem!
Old 07-15-20, 07:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Money, lack of need and the lack of demand. Bottle boss (and to a degree some stay/blade rack bosses) are open holes into the frame's interior, the BB and such. Thus are best closed via a plug (as Trek uses for their rack bosses) or a bolt as with most bottle bosses. But drop out eyes are open holes with no interior to collect grime or water. The few pennies saved with each bolt not included (and the manhours to install said bolts) will add up over the many thousands of bikes that are produced.

Some might say this is penny foolish but how much more would one pay for a bike with those extra bolts installed when new? I suggest the market place has voted on the need and willingness to pay already.

I'll bet a beer or two that the dropout eyes are M5 thread. If this was a concern when the bike was bought a simple request of the retailer to chase the threads and install place holder bolts likely wouldn't have cost anything at the time of sale. Andy
Old 07-15-20, 08:54 AM
erf60657

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will try an M5! Thank you so much.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Money, lack of need and the lack of demand. Bottle boss (and to a degree some stay/blade rack bosses) are open holes into the frame's interior, the BB and such. Thus are best closed via a plug (as Trek uses for their rack bosses) or a bolt as with most bottle bosses. But drop out eyes are open holes with no interior to collect grime or water. The few pennies saved with each bolt not included (and the manhours to install said bolts) will add up over the many thousands of bikes that are produced.

Some might say this is penny foolish but how much more would one pay for a bike with those extra bolts installed when new? I suggest the market place has voted on the need and willingness to pay already.

I'll bet a beer or two that the dropout eyes are M5 thread. If this was a concern when the bike was bought a simple request of the retailer to chase the threads and install place holder bolts likely wouldn't have cost anything at the time of sale. Andy