Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 08:01 PM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
So, I'm finally ready to join the party. This is my Specialized Stumpjumper Sport.
What tire/wheel combination is that, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 03-07-13, 09:52 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer T-Serv Protex 1.5" wrapping Sun Rhyno Lite rims with Sapim Race spokes and 36h Tiagra 4500 hubs. The original wheels were toast.
Old 03-08-13, 09:14 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Thanks! Nice-looking.
Old 03-09-13, 07:29 AM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris_in_Miami
I missed that debate earlier in the thread, beg pardon. You're correct in that it did have u-brake studs front and rear (though it probably came with roller cam brakes originally.) when my friend bought it, the front studs had already been hacked down to little nubs, so we added the BMX caliper.

Have you had any luck identifying your frame?
Man, if you were careful with the heat, and prep work beforehand, you "could" weld a new set of studs on that fork? Grind it down to the base of the mount, drill them out, and weld in a new set of screw in studs from the back side. The chrome might foul the welding up though, and turn blue if overheated. Anything would be better than the weakness of that caliper on the front. That pretty much killed any offroad riding that bike would ever see. I'd hunt down the person that did this, and rub their nose in it.,,,,BD
Old 03-09-13, 08:23 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Man, if you were careful with the heat, and prep work beforehand, you "could" weld a new set of studs on that fork? Grind it down to the base of the mount, drill them out, and weld in a new set of screw in studs from the back side. The chrome might foul the welding up though, and turn blue if overheated. Anything would be better than the weakness of that caliper on the front. That pretty much killed any offroad riding that bike would ever see. I'd hunt down the person that did this, and rub their nose in it.,,,,BD
Or maybe just get a new fork with cantilever studs, or a better front brake.
Old 03-09-13, 02:13 PM
Bone Machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
These conversions are fun. Here's my second attempt. I used Sora brifters, and 105 triple crankset with the large ring removed (it interfered with the Ubrake). I like this one better than the Grizzly I posted earlier. It's a smaller frame, and fits me better.

Old 03-09-13, 02:17 PM
Bone Machine

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Old 03-09-13, 02:19 PM
RFC

Bikes: many

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Very, very nice. And the cracked paint is beautiful.
Old 03-09-13, 02:31 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
+1 - great looking paint

Old 03-09-13, 02:48 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well here is my parts bin special. I got the frame from someone on CL from whom I got a pile of other parts. I had the STI shifters, and then just dug around and found other bits and odds and ends to put it all together. The paint is not the best but now that its all together, it doesn't look half bad. I am going to find a better set of doublewall rims but these work for now.

Yeah, yeah, I know, I didn't trim the cables yet. I will do that. I just leave them long until the build is completely finished and tuned up, then I trim.
Old 03-09-13, 07:29 PM
Bikedued

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
True, but somehow the value of these Ross mountain bikes is at an all time high. Originality being key, a repair might keep it original, and fix the horrible brake problem at the same time. A quality caliper brake in that size doesn't really exist anymore, and it's debatable that one ever has? Replacement fork is certainly an option, but case in point the horrible luck I am having at selling my Grand Record. Replacement forks are severely frowned upon, even if nothing is wrong with the frame.,,,,BD
Old 03-09-13, 10:05 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
I'd probably replace the fork if it was mine, but the caliper brake is beefier than it looks and it stops very well.
Old 03-10-13, 09:19 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by bobotech
Well here is my parts bin special. I got the frame from someone on CL from whom I got a pile of other parts. I had the STI shifters, and then just dug around and found other bits and odds and ends to put it all together. The paint is not the best but now that its all together, it doesn't look half bad. I am going to find a better set of doublewall rims but these work for now.

do you ride in the drops much? looks like braking would be tough anywhere but the hoods..
Old 03-10-13, 09:36 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Originally Posted by Bone Machine
These conversions are fun. Here's my second attempt. I used Sora brifters, and 105 triple crankset with the large ring removed (it interfered with the Ubrake). I like this one better than the Grizzly I posted earlier. It's a smaller frame, and fits me better.

looks like fun.. and loving that paint
Old 03-10-13, 10:18 AM
SeanBonham

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check, 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are those Small Block 8 tires?
Originally Posted by Bone Machine

Old 03-10-13, 12:39 PM
Bone Machine

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SeanBonham
Are those Small Block 8 tires?

They are 1.8" Kenda Dred Tread folding tires.
Old 03-10-13, 02:47 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Love those Kuwaharas... built up my new touring wheels on Friday and just have to build up a freewheel.

Old 03-10-13, 02:54 PM
striknein
Goes to 11.

Bikes: 2015 Soma Double Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd love to know more about those front racks. I have a set of Axiom Journey lowriders that are canted way off-axis due to the mounting setup.
Old 03-10-13, 03:13 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by striknein
I'd love to know more about those front racks. I have a set of Axiom Journey lowriders that are canted way off-axis due to the mounting setup.
Mine are Blackburns... took me a while to complete the trifecta and they fit up perfectly with very little trouble and have been great.

Was thinking that I might build custom racks at some point and if I ever decide to refinish the frame (it is 26 years old) will integrate them into the rear and improve the front by using our own design that sets the load farther back and makes for an even more stable bike.
Old 03-10-13, 04:57 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
do you ride in the drops much? looks like braking would be tough anywhere but the hoods..
No I do not ride in the drops much at all except for when I'm going down a long hill which isn't often. I normally just ride stretched out on the hoods. However these pics were taken just after I finished the bike and the handle bars were still turned up too much. I will lower them and then I should be fine.
Old 03-10-13, 08:49 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 965 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by RFC
+1,000,000 Its a stunner!!
Old 03-11-13, 12:10 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
This weekend, I joined you guys with my own drop bar creation. It's still pending completion due to the need for a shifter solution.

I started with a circa 92 Specialized Hardrock Cruz in my size. It was terribly neglected and left outside for a long period. All the rubber and plastic/vinyl bits were cracked. And the mostly steel parts were all rusted orange. Only the spokes were without rust. I was asked to throw it into a trash bin, and gladly agreed since it looked terrible. Front rim warped, frameset scarred with rusty scratches, stem and bar covered in rust. I was ready to give it the heave ho, when someone noticed it has horizontal dropouts and said I should keep the frame since it would make a nice single-speed. That caused me to take a 2nd look. Saw a Direct Drive Tange Cr-Mb tubing sticker, found no dents, and next...loosened both steel seatpost and stem to determine if they were seized. Nope. So I took pity on it and dragged home this orphan 2 months ago. Stripped it of the ruined Suntour parts and seized chain and tossed it aside.

This thread is a bad influence on those inflicted with N+1. :-P
I started with the limited parts on hand that were donated and scavaged, and came up with a build plan.
The hubs were still good. The rear rim true and the front I managed to straighten out.
This heavy beast needed to go on a diet. So, it got an aluminum bar and post, a Ti railed road saddle, and a Sugino 94mm BCD single crank running a 42t ring. It's going to run 1x6 or 1x7. I had a bunch of 6 speed Shimano freewheels on hand, and a 6-speed uniglide chain. It sports a 14x28t now, because I only have a 80s 105 road derailleur donated from Doc Cannondale. Unfortunately, he forgot to include the tension pulley. I will need to scrounge one up. This and the shifter are the only hold up to completion.

I needed a 1" stem appropriate to a drop bar. The aluminum bar came with a matching Zoom aluminum stem with a 90 degree offset....perfect, BUT it's missing its binder bolt. Darn! So, I defaulted to the original stem. At first it didn't appear to fit a road bar. Disappointment set in. Dug out a flat bar.
I sanded and wire-brushed the rust off and clear-coated it. (It will look pretty for a few months and then rust again.) When it dried, I tried the road bar and behold, it got on there! I mounted a pair of brake levers off a GMC Denali, mounted Deore DX cantis from a Diamondback Apex that was ran over by a car.
Wrapped the bars with yellow Cinelli cork tape from Gomango. Installed Mavic clipless pedals from Doc Cannondale. But stalled on shifter...as the Deore thumb shifter won't mount on road bars. And a NOS Shimano SIS 6spd stem shifter is missing its mounting hardware.
(I may drill and tap the steel stem and bolt it directly to it.)
It has a pair of used 1.95" gumwalls on there now. Front being a Specialized Crossroads III.
I will swap on a pair of yellow cages to accent the yellow theme.
Total cost = $0.00

(Thanks to irvri for the freewheels, bars/stem/seatposts, cages, stem shifter.)

I've nicknamed her the Specialized 'Hardlife', due to the way it looked when I got it. It's full of scars and I'll probably leave it that way. Itching to discover how this Frankenbike rides.
It's noticeably lighter than stock. Will take it to canal paths for testing.

Pics to follow...flickr isn't uploading this morning!

edit....

Last edited by WNG; 03-12-13 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-11-13, 05:58 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

^ nice.. you could use that thumbie on the drop bar.. the steel band can be bent to fit the larger size. i'd put it under the bar wrap tho
Old 03-11-13, 06:52 PM
jdefran

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
While that shifter picture is right there...anyone know where to to get the black plastic cover piece the housing feeds into?

This velobase photo shows it more clearly:
Old 03-11-13, 08:57 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

you're probably going to have to find a whole new shifter or a broken one for parts. one thing to keep in mind the 6 speed and 7 speed shifter mounts are very similar but the plastic part you're looking for is shaped differently depending on if it's 6 or 7 speed. I learned this when i went to put 6 speed shifters on 7 speed brackets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.