Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New tires... What do you all recommend?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-12, 02:56 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The other day, I was near my favorite LBS and I noticed some slight dry rot cracking around the sidewalls on my tires. So I headed down there, and the mechanic said the cracking is not a problem, but he noticed a sidewall tear in the front tire. He found a lightly used Conti Gatorskin in 700x23c for me to use (free!). It corners much better than the old Kenda Kadence. But I still have the original Kenda on the rear. I would like to get a new set of tires, but I'd like to know what you all would recommend. Another Gatorskin to match the front? Two new tires?

I want puncture protection, folding bead, and good cornering. 700x23c highly preferred.
Old 07-08-12, 03:00 PM
vandarye

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm loving my Conti GP4kS's. They replaced a set of Vittoria Zaffiro Pros. Smoother ride, better cornering.
Old 07-08-12, 03:02 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vandarye
I'm loving my Conti GP4kS's. They replaced a set of Vittoria Zaffiro Pros. Smoother ride, better cornering.
I knew that would be recommended, but they're a little on the expensive side for me. Gatorskins would be pushing the budget.
Old 07-08-12, 03:05 PM
adefeatedman

Bikes: 2012 Giant Defy 1, 2013 Giant Revel 29er 0, Ritchey Road Logic custom build

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Found a set of Michelin Prorace 3 for cheap. Only other road tires I've tried are the original Giant brand tires that came on the bike, as well as Specialized Armadillos which are more urban flat resistant tires that I use on my single-speed. Try the Michelins.
Old 07-08-12, 03:14 PM
Flying Foot Doc

Bikes: Giant eStance2, raised carbon handlebars , dropper post & Raceface Ride pedals

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
3rd flat on the rear of my Michelin Pro race3's. Just ordered Pro race 4's. Ask me in a few months, but the write up of the Pro race 4's is that they're supposed to be more flat resistant. I know of a set of 500 +/- miles Pro Race 3's available cheap, if you would like Andy
Old 07-08-12, 04:49 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread is lacking recommendations, but full of personal experiences. Should I just stick with gatorskins?
Old 07-08-12, 04:58 PM
hokie cycler

Bikes: 2018 Giant Stance 1, 2011 Trek Madone 3.1, 2004 LeMond Nevada City, 1980 Peugeot Course single speed, 1978 Peugeot AO-8

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Michelin Lithion 2 are on sale at Performance. They are a folded bead with puncture resistance and I just put one on my rear wheel today. I have no idea if it's any good. It got a decent review on Competitive Cyclist.
Old 07-08-12, 05:01 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
This thread is lacking recommendations, but full of personal experiences. Should I just stick with gatorskins?
If buying at your LBS, yes.

If willing to wait 7-14 days for UK shipping, go for the GP4000s from one of the online sellers like probikekit or ribble, etc. If you shop carefully and use the 10% off coupon, you can often get a PAIR of them for 75-80 bucks, shipped.
Old 07-08-12, 05:02 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Recommendation:

Maxxis Re-Fuse 700x23; kevlar folding bead; built-in Aramid flat protection layer; 120 PSI

In 2011 put 5,600 miles on the Re-Fuse tires (on tandem and single bike) and had ONE puncture.
I can install/remove those tires without using tire tools (and I am 80 years old).
Pedal on!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 07-08-12, 06:52 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
If you have found a tire with a ride that you like that is affordable than stick with it. Gatorskins have a great durability reputation so I don't think you will be disappointed there.
Old 07-08-12, 06:52 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote just running the current rear tire until replacement is needed due to wear or failure, then just get a matching Gatorskin. The rear tire will wear so much quicker than the front, so you probably won't have mismatched tires for too long unless you don't ride much.
Old 07-08-12, 07:20 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
HANDS DOWN my favorite tire to this day is the vredestein tricomp. hands down. Been bomb proof!
Old 07-08-12, 07:25 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought the conti gp4000s, and been underwhelmed. I prefer the schwalbe ultremos zx. With coupons and discounts got four for 32 each.
Old 07-08-12, 07:55 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will be buying tires from the lbs, not the Internet. They gave me a free gatorskin, so they deserve my business. Even if I spend a little more than I would on the Internet, that is fine because I will be supporting the local economy.

I think I'll stick with gatorskins. I'll get a pair of them and keep the free one as a spare.
Old 07-08-12, 09:10 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg
I will be buying tires from the lbs, not the Internet. They gave me a free gatorskin, so they deserve my business. Even if I spend a little more than I would on the Internet, that is fine because I will be supporting the local economy.

I think I'll stick with gatorskins. I'll get a pair of them and keep the free one as a spare.
lots of people love them. I wetn through 4 sets with nothing but sie wall blow outs. I'm not saying its a bad tire, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth. Plenty of other tires out there that I would ever buy before having to settle for gatorskins.
Old 07-08-12, 09:16 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
I have had good luck with Vittoria Rubino Pro Slicks. Get rid of that Kenda back tire ASAP. Get some real tires.
Old 07-08-12, 09:22 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pdedes
I bought the conti gp4000s, and been underwhelmed. I prefer the schwalbe ultremos zx. With coupons and discounts got four for 32 each.
I've heard at least one other person say this.

How is the cut resistance of the ultremo zx? I thought about the ultremo DD for daily use, but chose the Conti GP 4000S instead.
Old 07-08-12, 09:33 PM
rdtompki

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
NP with Gatorskins, but you need to ride more if your sidewalls are showing age before the tread wears out.
Old 07-08-12, 10:45 PM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rdtompki
NP with Gatorskins, but you need to ride more if your sidewalls are showing age before the tread wears out.
It was due to a defect that had been in the tire since new. See the thread about it here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...kay?highlight=

The tire only had 1300 miles on it. The bike was bought new in April. The rear tire is fine, but starting to get squared off on the contact patch. I'm hoping for at least triple the amount of mileage these tires have provided when I get Gatorskins.

Another option I have is to get Serfas Seca tires. I had them on my hybrid and I loved them! Very puncture resistant and fast rolling. Though it was a wire bead (kevlar beaded Secas are more expensive) and they were very tread cut-prone.

I think I'll get Gatorskins.
Old 07-09-12, 12:18 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I have Michelin Pro 3s that I'm loving. I've used that family/it's predecessors since the Axial Pros. I think it's a Pro 4 now. Good puncture resistance, cornering. Feels grippy, supple.
Old 07-09-12, 05:17 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
I've heard at least one other person say this.

How is the cut resistance of the ultremo zx? I thought about the ultremo DD for daily use, but chose the Conti GP 4000S instead.
Not as good as the conti. However, measured width is about a mm more than the 23 stamped on them, and the ride and road feel substantially better than the contis which are now on the backup bike.
Old 07-09-12, 05:45 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I put about 4000 KMs in 4-4.5 months on my Gatorskins(28 mm on my CX), no problems for me.
Not a flat yet(knock on wood), I picked them up off a buddy who's an avid cyclist,& I have no idea how many KMs he put on them.
I ride specialized turbo pro on my new build, & rode over pretty sketchy road the 1st 2 rides.
They held up to the abuse I put them through, I'm planning on getting a pair of either Gatorskins,GP4K,or Ultremo ZX. I've heard mixed reviews for the Michelins Pro 3s I can get them pretty cheap, buy am hesistant. I'm willing to spend a lillte extra $$$ for piece of mind.
Old 07-09-12, 06:01 AM
dave1442397

Bikes: 2014 Boardman SLS 9.4 Di2, 2011 CAAD 10 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've put around 2200 miles on my GP4000S tires and had a couple of flats, but both were caused by running over sharp metal objects.

I was riding with a guy yesterday who has the Gatorskins and said he loves them.
Old 07-09-12, 09:25 AM
Debusama

Bikes: Elephant custom road bike, 08 Redline D440, Motobecane Fantom cross Uno.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Michelin crylion carbons are on sale all over the internet right now for around $30. I have been using them as my road race/race season training tire for a while now because I got sick of flatting out during open-course road races on flimsy race-specific tires. I don’t notice any difference in weight or rolling resistance, but I do notice that I almost never get flats anymore and I can use the same set of tires through a whole season. I’ve never had an issue with traction, but to the touch they don’t feel as grippy as the race tires I’ve used, so I don’t use them for crits.
Gatorskins are great tires too though, and if you are looking to save money and you already have one, you would only need to buy one more for a matching set.

Edit: here ya go:
https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...82_-1___202471
Great tire, very puncture resistant.
For a little more grip at the expense of some durability
https://www.jensonusa.com/Bicycle-Tir...p-Folding-Tire

Last edited by Debusama; 07-09-12 at 11:11 AM. Reason: adding links
Old 07-09-12, 09:33 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I rode Gatorskins for about 50kms...very harsh, and very slow. I suppose they're more durable, I wouldn't know and I'm not going to find out. My suggestion is to try some decent performance tires, you may decide that the ride and speed improvements are worth carrying a tube around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.