Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How was your Cycling 2023?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-23, 06:40 AM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Thanks Noglider.
Strength I have, It´s the peace I need.
Not sleeping well, the meds my doctor prescribed, so far, not working so great.
Hope springs eternal.

fat biker
Old 12-03-23, 10:18 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
It will probably wind up a little short of my distance goal -- in part because I once again took it easy for a month while my wife was recuperating from surgery, and in part because I'm stuck back in NYC for ~3 weeks right now where the weather is not cooperating for cycling -- and I'll definitely wind up a little frustrated in my Cooperative Group Cycling goals, which is entirely due to the fact that the cyclists in my new abode have no concept of what that term even means.

But I still rode a lot, and any year when I can say that is a good year.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 12-03-23, 10:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
It will probably wind up a little short of my distance goal -- in part because I once again took it easy for a month while my wife was recuperating from surgery, and in part because I'm stuck back in NYC for ~3 weeks right now where the weather is not cooperating for cycling -- and I'll definitely wind up a little frustrated in my Cooperative Group Cycling goals, which is entirely due to the fact that the cyclists in my new abode have no concept of what that term even means.

But I still rode a lot, and any year when I can say that is a good year.
I also have no concept of what the term "Cooperative Group Cycling goals" is supposed to mean. Please enlighten me. What am I missing by riding every day while being so ill informed?
Old 12-03-23, 10:52 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 246 Posts
Other than riding around the neighbourhood and the local MUP's.....Cycling 2023 was non-existent for me.
Even my golf dates suffered. Going back to work full-time is over-rated.......
Old 12-03-23, 11:22 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts

crappy.
Old 12-03-23, 06:18 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I also have no concept of what the term "Cooperative Group Cycling goals" is supposed to mean. Please enlighten me. What am I missing by riding every day while being so ill informed?
Here's the hint: The operative word in that phrase is "Cooperative" ...in other words, riding in such a way as to make it a better ride for everybody else in the group.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 12-04-23, 02:15 AM
Small cog

Bikes: Vintage Raleigh and more modern Roberts

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
A mixed year which started well with a coast to coast ride across Southern India from Chennai to Cochin on my Brompton followed by some winter sunshine in Goa, cycling in India is not for the faint hearted but I was given a good low traffic rural route to follow.

A good trip to the US mostly travelling in the northeast with a friend in their car but included a ride up the C&O canal which I recommend but I had one head on collision with another rider who pulled out to overtake other riders without looking going straight into me and a scary night in a camping area when someone came creeping around my tent in the middle of the night waking me when they put their hand under the fly sheet and disturbed my cooking pans. I was also surprised by the amount of hostility I received from other road users in the 10 miles or so I did on the road there, more so than in the UK.

In July I was knocked off by a car driver who misjudged the width of their VW Golf by a door mirror and ignoring the rule that you give cyclists at least 1.5 metres clearance breaking four ribs and damaging my Raleigh Royal, both are now repaired the bike at the expense of the driver's insurance and I am hoping any compensation I receive will pay for another trip next year as the accident put paid to any other tours this year. This is the second VW Golf to hit me like this in two years, the previous one clipped me while I was pushing up a hill with no damage done except to the car.
Old 12-07-23, 09:08 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Got a few more potential riding days left before year-end so might be adding to 2023 total of 2500 miles, which is about 500 less than previous low since started spreadsheet tracking a decade plus ago. Hit 5000 in 2019, first year of retirement and a pre-pandemic year, at that. Not quite as much free time more recently since spouse/stoker and I started watching grand-kids several days a week. But, not complaining! Have ridden 223 days so far this year. Lots of short rides, but did manage back-to-back 50 mile rides on Saturday and Sunday of the Amishland and Lakes Tour in LaGrange, IN in July. Enjoyed the Midwest Tandem Rally in Fort Wayne, IN Labor Day Weekend. (Home of Sweetwater musical gear selling world headquarters. Bought a set of guitar strings when we stopped there.) We mostly ride the tandem on tandem club rides or when prepping for tandem rides. Most of my miles are on my Bacchetta single recumbent.

Last edited by JanMM; 12-07-23 at 09:11 PM.
Likes For JanMM:
Old 12-10-23, 08:20 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
It sucked. I was found not that far from death on New Year’s Eve. Had a brain bleed, three minor strokes and major heart surgery and didn’t walk for over two months. Managed a total of 44 miles this fall.

But I’m already planning a spring tour.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-10-23, 08:25 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
Rode over 2000 miles in 2022, including my 62 mile birthday ride.
I had about 600 miles in thru April, and then fractured my hip (totally healthy to that point). Right Total Hip replacement in mid-July. Got back on the bike in September,but it's been a slower than expected journey. Currently sitting at 400 miles since surgery, mostly 15 -18 mile rides on Zwift. But, more fortunate then many, so I'll shoot for a better 2024 and count my blessings.
Old 12-11-23, 06:14 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I remain on track for the most consistent year I have ever had. I have only missed 11 days so far this year. Every other day I have gone out for a morning trail ride. The mileage won't be impressive, but I am 72 and it is all trail mileage so it is a bit better than it sounds. At least I tell myself that.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-11-23, 07:30 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
despite an accident in June and being off the bike for four weeks, I have surpassed the goal I set for myself on Strava. yay!
Old 12-11-23, 10:05 AM
cram501

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I hadn't ridden a bike in over 20 years and probably 30 years with some consistency. I've only gone about 1500 miles, starting this summer, as I get back into shape. So far it has been good.
Likes For cram501:
Old 12-12-23, 05:00 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It sucked. I was found not that far from death on New Year’s Eve. Had a brain bleed, three minor strokes and major heart surgery and didn’t walk for over two months. Managed a total of 44 miles this fall.

But I’m already planning a spring tour.
That must have been very difficult. Hope you're getting better and best wishes for 2024.
Old 12-12-23, 08:51 PM
Leebob69

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus X 3.0, Trek 700 MultiTrack,Specialized Alibi,Benotto ?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 51 Posts
2023 was a new beginning for me on a bike. My neighbor gave me a cruiser with a coaster brake. So I rode it around the neighborhood some. Then I installed a new chain. Then a bit more riding. Ended up dismantling the coaster brake to give it a clean and some grease. In August I bought a Gravity Dutch hybrid from BikesDirect. I bought the size recommended by them as per my height. Turns out it was a bit small for me but it taught me a lot. First off it arrived in a box so I learned how to assemble it. How to adjust seat height, bars, levers ect. Honestly I can say I don't regret buying that bike. It was a start. Plus I found that I liked riding way more than I would have ever guessed. By mid September I ordered a Specialized Sirius x 3.0. Now I had a bike that fit me. I think I might swap in a different stem but it's pretty good as is.
I since have picked up a 1992 Trek MultiTrack which I like a lot. A few weeks later I found a Specialized Alibi dirt cheap on CL.(both of these bikes were well under $100) I at first thought it would be a parts bike but I have since vetoed that. It now sports new tires, as does the Trek. The cruiser and Gravity hybrid were gifted to my brother and his son.
I also learned (with help from the great members here) how to rebuild my BB on my 40+ year old Benotto. That repair is complete but still lots more tinkering to be done.
I also learned about Strava but switched to Ride with GPS. I use my phone mostly now in a bar mount. Mainly to track my routes and mileage.

Still hope to get some good rides in before 2024 but I must admit 2023 has been pretty good. It has been wonderful to learn new tricks at the age of 69.

Happy Holidays
Hope you all a very good year ahead

Lee

Last edited by Leebob69; 12-12-23 at 11:25 PM.
Likes For Leebob69:
Old 12-12-23, 10:53 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
I'm at 3370 miles for the year and have some holiday travel coming up so not sure how much more I'll get. Odd that I'm riding less since I retired. Between Grandkids and other activities, I'm finding it hard to get in a lot of riding days. Recently I've been trying to get in shorter rides on days where I have other things going on and that helps. 20-30 miles is better than none. Still enjoy the heck out of it though and that is what is important.
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 12-12-23, 11:40 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
at a little over 1,800 miles for the year. a bit disappointing within the context of usually hitting 5,000 miles a year for the last 20 years. work was a beastie and will continue to be.
thinking my days of 5k+ are over for the near future. still enjoy being out on the road but have less energy to wake up at 4am to drive 2+ hours/train it to hit somewhere else. what's the saying? the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak? will be bringing the bike to tucson in january for a few, quickie 30-milers. best ride of the year was renting an overly heavy mtb in cadaqués,
spain (in the costa brava region) and doing a blessed 25-miler on coastal roads screaming for a road bike.

biggest hangup is remembering going harder/faster on roads when in decent shape and being disappointed when recent/similar rides don't match up.
better to be out and about than in and munching.

Last edited by diphthong; 12-12-23 at 11:45 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 12-13-23, 07:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
That must have been very difficult. Hope you're getting better and best wishes for 2024.
Thanks. It did. I was in the hospital or rehab for the first 3 months of the year (which included the Super Bowl and my birthday) and was fed through a tube in my stomach. until March 7th. Used a walker and then a cane until early July. Had the stairlift removed in August. Hoping to retire on April 1st of next year, which will make the one-year anniversary of me waking up in my own bed for the first in 2023.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-13-23, 10:32 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I hope you get better and keep doing what you love. I had a rough year as well, but not as bad as yours.
Good luck on your recovery and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-18-23, 04:54 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 53 Posts
For me, it has been my best year ever.
  • About midway through the year, I saw that I was on track to ride 3000 miles this year, so I made that a goal, which I have achieved.
  • I pulled off my first century.
  • My climbing ability has come a long way, and I am able to handle climbs that I wasn't able to do before.
  • My metabolism has changed substantially in ways that help my endurance rides (and my health).
  • I did all that without buying any new bikes this year!
And next year? I think I am going to concentrate less on miles and more on climb and speed and power. I don't know how to put objective numbers on those goals, because I don't really know what kind of improvement is possible, or in what time frame. Oh, and I need to do some bikepacking next year.

Last edited by UnCruel; 12-18-23 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Forgot one
Likes For UnCruel:
Old 12-22-23, 01:04 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
It’s still in progress…indoors unless there is a warm-snap between now and year end, but am exceeding my annual goal.

Hope others having crappy years can make up for it in 2024.

Old 12-23-23, 06:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I mentioned mileage goals and consistensy and I am still on track there. I'll also say that I have really enjoyed just getting out in the woods early every morning. Seeing the seasons, the weather (both good and bad), and the varied wildlife has been great. I have also been enjoying a new full suspension MTB. Taking care of a wife and a geriatric dog both of whom have had health issues this year has limited my chances to travel, but those rides in the woods every morning are a great substitute.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 12-23-23, 07:24 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 63 Posts
Given that our office is still on 100% telework, my riding is a fraction of what it was. Still, there are several trips a week for lunch at cafes and shopping. Looking forward to commuting again.
Old 12-24-23, 11:28 AM
woodway
Squeaky Wheel

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 50 Posts
Bad: Got hit by a car in January 2023. Separated my AC.

Good: Bike was OK. Shoulder has mostly healed. Got plenty of riding in: Road, Gravel, MTB. Made my 5000 mile goal for the year. Grateful for my health.

Looking forward to 2024.
Likes For woodway:
Old 12-26-23, 05:12 PM
JustaJoe

Bikes: 2022 Kona Dr. Dew, 2022 Specialized Vado

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
2023 was an illuminating year for me, and therefore a very good one! I only resumed riding a few years ago on an ebike, and this year decided to transition to regular bikes. I ended up going through, I think, 4 bikes until I found The One. Thankfully each bike was either purchased used and resold for my cost or better, or "trials" from LBS who allowed me to return them.

Unsure of mileage for the year, likely north of 2500mi purely recreational riding. No comps, no tours, just riding around my area on hybrid bikes. I am confident I have achieved the level of fitness and the bike fit/comfort I need to do longer rides, which is my goal for '24 - short tours (still working, have to ration PTO), car-based camping homebase and ride some new areas from the campsite. I now use my ebike for easy rides when I ordinarily wouldn't feel like riding, so maybe 1-2 rides per week.

The physical health improvement has been welcome, the mental health improvement has been astounding and is my motivator.

fat biker and indyfabz I hope the new year is peaceful for you - your experiences this year really hit a nerve.
Likes For JustaJoe:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.