Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What kind of performance should I expect from Avid BB7s?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What kind of performance should I expect from Avid BB7s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-12, 01:33 PM
pkulak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtirithon
Mine work great. I have the road BB7's with Sram Apex levers. My only complaint is they have howled and squeeled since day 1. No matter what I have tried. My LBS is going to look into it soon for me.
But what is "great"? Can you lock up the back wheel on the hoods? If you need to stop quickly, do you palms hurt after from exertion? There may be great "modulation", but that doesn't sound like good breaks to me. I'm starting to think BB7s have a great rep because of MTBs they are installed on. For road... meh. Cantilever are probably much better.
Old 04-22-12, 01:56 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Pkulak, I think all this 'breaking in' stuff is hokum. What you get out of the long break in period is used to how the brakes work and how to deal with their short comings.
Any credibility you ever had in my eyes was just flushed down the toilet. Unless you're kidding and my sarcasm meter is acting up.
Old 04-22-12, 04:44 PM
SnowJob
Dirt junkie.

Bikes: Surly Ice Cream Truck, Peacock Groove road bikem, Salsa Fargo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pkulak
But what is "great"? Can you lock up the back wheel on the hoods? If you need to stop quickly, do you palms hurt after from exertion? There may be great "modulation", but that doesn't sound like good breaks to me. I'm starting to think BB7s have a great rep because of MTBs they are installed on. For road... meh. Cantilever are probably much better.
This tells me there is something seriously wrong with your setup. My experiences with cantis are that you need to squeeze the levers with a large amount of force in order to get any braking power out of them. Locking up the tires is only possible, in my experience, with higher end cantis. And in the rain they have very little power.

If your BB7s are set up right, you won't need to use much lever force at all to lock up the tires.

I went on a "road" ride today. Did about 60 miles through dirt, paved roads, mud, and gravel and my BB7s functioned perfectly. I'm getting to the point where I can hit the front brake and rear brakes just right to bring me to a stop much quicker than cantis or calipers, and on par with quality v-brakes. And in the rain, the BB7s lose absolutely no power. That's saying a lot, as I weigh 220 and my bike's about 25 lbs.
Old 04-22-12, 05:39 PM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can skid with mine if i want to. I have done some steep single track drops with a full load of gear and had no trouble slowing my descent.
Old 04-22-12, 05:49 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've been running BB7's for over 5 years now, and I have some input:

1. With XTR cables, they feel as good as hydraulics (at least, to me).
2. There are ceramic pads available as replacements for the stock pads; they equal the stopping power of the sintered pads, and the modulation of the organics. Plus, they LAST! 3 years and going strong on the present set....

When I added these upgrades, it cost me an extra $50 for the whole-bike setup. It was well worth it!

BTW, I run 185's f/r; had 203 up front, but I went OTB too often....
Old 04-22-12, 07:44 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Any credibility you ever had in my eyes was just flushed down the toilet. Unless you're kidding and my sarcasm meter is acting up.
I don't think your sarcasmeter is broken. It's good to hear everyone's opinion, even if it doesn't sync up with my or most other's real world experience.
Old 04-22-12, 08:17 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
I have not used the BB7 road models, so I can only share my experience with BB7 Mtn calipers with compatible long-pull hooded levers (Tektro). My BB7's outperform any brake that I've owned in varied conditions (dry, wet, snowy, muddy). Lockup? Of course! If I want to. I prefer not to skid, though.
My points of comparison (excluding the ones that don't measure up) are:
- Avid Single Digit 7 V-brakes with salmon pads and SD-7 levers. These are great brakes. They offer similar stopping power and modulation in dry conditions (when set up the way I like them) to the BB7's. They do lose some effectiveness in the wet.
- Campagnolo Record (8 and 10 speed). Excellent brakes. Again, similar braking power to the BB7's in the dry, though the 23mm tires were the limiting factor there.

So, unless there is an inherently different performance level with the BB7 road setup, I think something is not right with your setup. Either the wrong levers, bad setup/adjustment, or flimsy cables.

If things haven't changed with Avid's specs, the easy way to tell which you have is the color of the calipers. Black=mountain calipers (long pull) silver=road calipers (short pull). Hooded levers are available for either.
Old 04-22-12, 08:20 PM
ESW116

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Braking in (or "bedding) brakes is absolutely not hokum. It is a must for new disc brakes.

As for the OP, have you tried cleaning your brakes? I have a feeling that, assuming they're actually set up and adjusted properly, a good cleaning of both the rotors and the calipers with rubbing alcohol will significantly improve performance. A lot of brakes out of the factory or new out of a LBS are actually dirty and covered with dust and oils, same with calipers.

Take a clean lint free rag and put some rubbing alcohol on it (70% or more by volume). Apply to the rotors and calipers, don't wipe it off once applied - just let it evaporate off, and voila, SUPER clean brakes. This also tends to get rid of squeaking.

I upgraded my MTB to shimano SLX hydraulics, and I felt the same thing as the OP. They didn't seem as strong as they should be, especially the front. I ended up cleaning the rotors/calipers and bleeding the brakes. The result was a HUGE improvement in power, feel and modulation.

Clean your brakes, folks.
Old 04-23-12, 08:09 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by whitecat
If the best response you can come off is “duh“, then maybe it would be good to refrain yourself from posting that. Because it is not informative at all, and in essence, meaning of that word is not defined.

I get that you are a die hard for obsolete technology -I can gather as much from your track record -but please dont try to convince me of that by using some twisted logic. It simply wont work.

Only real pity here is that you can, and probably will, confuse someone who is searching for good advice.

And, judging by the respones of others, wr can see just how ineffective discs really are. Go figure.
The response was "Huh?" as in "What are you talking about?" As in "You have no idea what you are talking about and are simply making stuff up." Your whole idea about v-brakes is completely off the mark and not within my experience nor have I ever read anything by anyone with braking issues that fits your description.

I have absolutely nothing against new technology nor do I have any particular love of obsolete technology. But I also don't go out and purchase new technology because it's new and shiny. I think the threadless headsets is among bicycling greatest invention. I think that STI brake/shifter levers rank right up there too. I think that external bottom bracket cranks do for bicycling what PVC pipe did for plumbing...i.e. any idiot with a hacksaw can do plumbing with PVC.

There are lots of other things about bicycling that I don't like...U-brakes (dumbest technology ever!), 10 (11, 12 or 28) speed cassettes without larger ranges, compact double cranks, integrated headsets, low spoke count wheels with proprietary parts, and, yes, disc brakes. It's not that I have a problem with these ideas it's just that they aren't really improvements nor are they significantly better than the technology they are replacing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-23-12, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by ESW116
Braking in (or "bedding) brakes is absolutely not hokum. It is a must for new disc brakes.

As for the OP, have you tried cleaning your brakes? I have a feeling that, assuming they're actually set up and adjusted properly, a good cleaning of both the rotors and the calipers with rubbing alcohol will significantly improve performance. A lot of brakes out of the factory or new out of a LBS are actually dirty and covered with dust and oils, same with calipers.

Take a clean lint free rag and put some rubbing alcohol on it (70% or more by volume). Apply to the rotors and calipers, don't wipe it off once applied - just let it evaporate off, and voila, SUPER clean brakes. This also tends to get rid of squeaking.

I upgraded my MTB to shimano SLX hydraulics, and I felt the same thing as the OP. They didn't seem as strong as they should be, especially the front. I ended up cleaning the rotors/calipers and bleeding the brakes. The result was a HUGE improvement in power, feel and modulation.

Clean your brakes, folks.
Here's what Avid says about breaking in discs

Brake pad break-in period

It may take anywhere from 20 to 40 complete stops to break in Avid pads. You may begin to notice an increase in braking power after the first ride. Brake noise can occur not only during the break-in period, but off and on though out the life of the brake pads. Noise is dependent upon factors such as brake set-up, rider weight, riding style, braking style, and riding conditions (i.e. dust, soil, etc. contamination of friction surfaces).
Notice it doesn't say that you have to ride them for 200 miles or brake 1000 times or offer the blood of a freshly killed chicken to the moon on the 3rd day after the day before a new moon or any of the other mumbo jumbo that people push as to what you have to do to get good braking out of your disc brakes. "Between 20 and 40 stops" should be easy to achieve on a relatively short ride.

"Brake noise" also means they are going to squeal no matter what you do. Yes, keep 'em clean but expect them to squeal.

And, yes, I did break in all of my discs. Even followed the mumbo jumbo. The difference between a new pad/rotor combination isn't really all that different from one that is 'broken in'. And, again, lever mushiness isn't going to be affected by any kind of breaking in period. That's a different issue related to a different part of the mechanism.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-23-12 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 08:42 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just changed the pads on mine and they were very soft for the first 100 miles or so - no matter how hard I squeezed I wouldn't get very good braking. Now it's broken in and working as it always has in the past - I can easily lift my rear wheel off the ground, and I'm riding a 45 pound bike.

I wouldn't be surprised if I only got 40 stops in 100 miles, so this is probably about right. My riding is a lot of miles with few stops.

FWIW these were cheap $5 Chinese brake pads. I've been running cheap pads off eBay for 4 years now and they've performed great and last about 2x as long as $18 Avid pads.

They get noisy in wet weather, but that's just what I expect out of discs. They still brake fine when wet.
Old 04-23-12, 08:46 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by SnowJob
This tells me there is something seriously wrong with your setup. My experiences with cantis are that you need to squeeze the levers with a large amount of force in order to get any braking power out of them. Locking up the tires is only possible, in my experience, with higher end cantis. And in the rain they have very little power.

If your BB7s are set up right, you won't need to use much lever force at all to lock up the tires.

I went on a "road" ride today. Did about 60 miles through dirt, paved roads, mud, and gravel and my BB7s functioned perfectly. I'm getting to the point where I can hit the front brake and rear brakes just right to bring me to a stop much quicker than cantis or calipers, and on par with quality v-brakes. And in the rain, the BB7s lose absolutely no power. That's saying a lot, as I weigh 220 and my bike's about 25 lbs.
Read pkulak's first post. It's a new bike. That means that it should be properly set up, it should have the proper levers matched with the proper calipers, have the proper cabling, etc.

As for cantilever brakes, I could...and can... lock up the wheels with cantilevers on 13 of the 32 bikes I've owned...including 2 tandems. If I couldn't, I adjusted them until I could or I replaced them. And, again, skidding is hardly a measure of braking effectiveness. I can skid a coaster brake equipped bike as could just about any 10 year old...and coaster brakes aren't a 'good brake' by anyone's standard.

Old 04-23-12, 08:56 AM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe

FWIW these were cheap $5 Chinese brake pads. I've been running cheap pads off eBay for 4 years now and they've performed great and last about 2x as long as $18 Avid pads.
What brand are these cheap pads? I'm curious to try them for that price and if they hold up like you say. Thanks!
Old 04-23-12, 09:43 AM
cyccommute 

Look at it this way, 200 miles by bicycle is from 10 to 20 hours of operation. In an urban environment that's going to be hundreds of stops. If something isn't working properly until it's been used for that long, you aren't waiting for it to 'break in', you are waiting until you get used to it.

Old 04-23-12, 09:48 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
I'm with Cyccommute on this...it's obvious the brakes are not set-up correctly, if only for the fact the OP can't lock up the wheels. It's also clear that this isn't a break-in issue, and again I think cycco is correct, because disc break in is never that big an issue.

I've got a BB7 equipped 700c Novara Buzz that I've been riding since '05, and the brakes have always been great, phenomenal in snow and rain. Sure, my old XTR V-brakes are awesome, too, but don't have the all-weather performance of the BB7 Discs. I have Haye's hydro discs on my Santa Cruz, and they're okay, but I prefer the feel of the BB7s, making them easier to modulate at the edge, IMO.

Aside from bad setup, I'd bet there's also a component mismatch going on here, either lever/caliper, or caliper/bike.

Did the OP confirm they've got the right model BB7 installed? Does the OP know how to adjust the pad/rotor distance, because that might be all it takes.
Old 04-23-12, 10:10 AM
antonyfhilliard

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
My guess is the brake cable ends weren't prepared properly. If the cable is cut and left as-is, the housing stubs will flex and squish the ferrule. This will give 'spongy' brake performance.

Check those.
Old 04-23-12, 10:29 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Look at it this way, 200 miles by bicycle is from 10 to 20 hours of operation. In an urban environment that's going to be hundreds of stops. If something isn't working properly until it's been used for that long, you aren't waiting for it to 'break in', you are waiting until you get used to it.
But they do need to be broken in. That's not hokum. It's a fact. It wasn't me though who said that it requires 200 miles, that indeed was an exaggeration, but it's definitely more than the 20-40 stops mentioned in Avid instructions. It usually takes a few days for me, maybe 20-30 miles at most or one long ride. Also, I don't believe many bike shops know how to properly set them up and adjust the pads. I did try once to wear my Avid hydraulic brakes by riding around a parking lot and braking aggressively before going on the trail but I just ended up riding and they were fine by the end of the ride.

The bottom line is that BB7s on my heavy commuter with fat tires will lock my wheels. However, the ability to lock the wheels isn't a defining quality of brakes, modulation is, and I much rather not lock my wheels.
Old 04-23-12, 10:37 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It could be any number of things. Like everyone said, they need to break in. This means slow, deliberate stopping where the pads and rotors "bed in." If you or the mechanic just hauled ass down a steep hill, that's not cutting it (and is actually worse).

Some questions:
  • Are the rotors straight/true?
  • Are the calipers positioned correctly?
  • Are the cables/housing of good quality and routed smoothly?
  • Which levers are you running?
  • Are the BB7s the road or mtb version?

BB7s are good brakes that are easy to set up. Unfortunately, some folks just don't "get it," and you end up with poor performance.
Old 04-23-12, 10:37 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Disc brakes don't need to be "broken in" to work effectively. However, as thay are broken in, their stopping performance will improve slightly. This is due to a mismatch in the new pad surface and new rotor surface. Over a short period of time, they will wear into each other, providing improved contact and stopping performance.
Old 04-23-12, 10:44 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtirithon
What brand are these cheap pads? I'm curious to try them for that price and if they hold up like you say. Thanks!
Brand? What is this "brand" you speak of?

I just went to eBay, searched for BB7 pads, and bought the cheapest ones that came up. They came two pads and a spring in a tiny ziploc bag, tossed into a padded envelope.

A few years ago I bought some the same way, those actually came vacuum wrapped onto a retail hang package for the same price. I don't really care one way or the other.

They're probably all made in the same place. They didn't have the same material as the original Avid but they're semi-metallic and they work well wet or dry, last a long time and don't wreck the rotor so I don't know what else you could ask.
Old 04-23-12, 10:50 AM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
I can not speak of a brake in (bad pun I know), because I bought the bike used.

But what I will tell you is that BB7s I have will stop on a dime and give change.
I ride a Co-Motion city view with the road BB7s and it stops this VERY heavy bike very quickly.
So quickly I need to be aware of it, fot it stops almost to quickly.

Better than my Pauls, or my Camy chours. MUCH better.
Old 04-23-12, 10:55 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by alan s
Disc brakes don't need to be "broken in" to work effectively. However, as thay are broken in, their stopping performance will improve slightly. This is due to a mismatch in the new pad surface and new rotor surface. Over a short period of time, they will wear into each other, providing improved contact and stopping performance.
I'd expect the same from a new wheel/new pad situation for rim brakes. The braking improves slightly upon wearing glazing on the pads off and wearing down the polished surface of the wheels. Slightly is the key here. If you have to go for the various distances and number of stops reported here and resort to black magic, you aren't breaking the system in, you are waiting until you get used to how it performs.

Old 04-23-12, 11:04 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Eugene has a Bike CoOp on 1st st, go there and learn how to work on your bike,
there are people there to show you how to use the tools.
Old 04-23-12, 11:05 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koolstop makes cheaper and good pads for BB7s. You probably don't want some cheap knockoff from eBay made of pewter
Old 04-23-12, 11:09 AM
MileHighMark
Old. Slow. Happy.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Koolstop makes cheaper and good pads for BB7s. You probably don't want some cheap knockoff from eBay made of pewter
I haven't tried the Kool Stop pads, but I always replace the stock BB7 pads with Avid's organic pads. Much better feel, and virtually silent, too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.