Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I can't ride standing

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I can't ride standing

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-12, 01:09 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1453 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff
No you don't.
You don't have to be able to take a drink while riding;

You don't have to be able to eat while riding;

You don't have to be able to take off or put on clothing while riding;

You don't have to be able to ride one handed, or no handed;

You don't have to be able to stand while riding.

But the ability to do all these things will make you a better rider, help you ride longer, make your cycling faster, and more enjoyable.

and in the standing case help avoid erectile dysfunction.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-11-12, 01:45 PM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
UUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh! Somebody's feelings are hurt. Should we call an ambulance?
More like a WAAAAAMBULANCE!!!
Old 06-11-12, 02:18 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
as others have noted, hills take a lot more power than flat ground, especially if you are heavy.

the mistake most people make is going too fast. then they implode and suffer up the hill at a snail's pace, or stop and go back a different way. most people have problems with perceived exertion and also lack power meters, so they don't know that they are going way too hard until it's too late, and they pop.

it depends on what kind of hill we're talking about, mainly how steep and how long you will be climbing it. for a short hill that you spend less than 2 minutes climbing obviously you can dump a whole bunch more power into it than you can afford to do if you're climbing for 30 minutes.

if you don't have a power meter, you might get some use out of riding with a buddy who does have one. the power number itself won't help you, but you can watch them hold 150, 250, or whatever number of watts when transitioning from flat to climbing and watch the speed plummet.
Old 06-11-12, 04:24 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Farmer Dave
More like a WAAAAAMBULANCE!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Whambulance.gif (15.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 06-11-12, 05:22 PM
sqroot3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as brian pointed out, standing seems to be overall less efficient (and certainly uses different muscle groups) compared to sitting, but instantaneous power seems much higher than sitting...but again, ultimately depends on technique.
Old 06-11-12, 08:35 PM
ericm979

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by thump55
Your comfortable cadence range will be much, much smaller while standing
Not for me. I have about the same comfortable cadence range as when I'm seated, only shifted down 10 rpm or so. I'm not special. Well ok, I am, but not in that aspect. I think that anyone can learn to pedal at a relatively wide range of cadences while standing if they work on it. It took me a while.
Then there's BMX racers, who spin their cranks at over 170 rpms while standing. I can't do that no matter what my body position is, but it shows that standing should not be an impediment to pedalling speed.

Also, modern shifters work while you're standing. So you shouldn't be "screwed" if you're standing and at the wrong cadence- just shift. It takes practice too.
Old 06-11-12, 09:15 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Generally, on "the steepest hills", I'm in my lowest gear and seated.

On a lot of moderate hills, I'll stand. That works a lot better now. When I started, I was fatter and my legs weren't built up as well, and I couldn't stand and pedal for more than just a few seconds. But now I can do it for a while.

It also makes a big difference how tired you already are. If I've been climbing all day, I can stand and suddenly don't have the energy to make anything happen and have to sit back down. When I'm fresh, things work a lot better.
Old 06-12-12, 05:58 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaker
Often it's good to mix up standing and sitting, but on long climbs, you'll probably sit more of the time. My guess is that you need to get used to using the different muscle groups you recruit when standing on a climb, and also don't wait until you're completely gassed to stand. Keep at it and it'll feel more natural.

Edit:no, it's not just for attacking. It can be really helpful to overcome a steeper portion of a hill, or just to change your muscle groups
All of that!
Old 06-12-12, 06:12 AM
hillcrawler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure if i should tell it or not after all the discussion but i'm not using clipless pedals. My bike has flat pedals and i ride it with running shoes. What about that? I think it changes a lot.

There are also some other things that i can't to while riding which i didn't mention yet. I can't look back, i can't reach to my water bottle, even if i can do that i can't put it back to its place, i can't point a danger to the group of people behind me (if there is any). But these are the things i can't do when i'm riding down the hill with a lot of speed (like 40 km/h which you can also do if you train hard). And you can ignore this paragraph, i know it'll get better by experience.

Last edited by hillcrawler; 06-12-12 at 06:25 AM.
Old 06-12-12, 06:17 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hillcrawler
I'm not sure if i should tell it or not after all the discussion but i'm not using clipless pedals. My bike has flat pedals and i ride it with running shoes. What about that? I think it changes a lot.
I had no clips at all when I started out and I don't remember not being able to stand up. Not an excuse. Practice and learn.
Old 06-12-12, 06:28 AM
hillcrawler

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spock
I had no clips at all when I started out and I don't remember not being able to stand up. Not an excuse. Practice and learn.
Maybe it's not an excuse but clips would help a lot when you get your ass of the saddle cos you'll have more power to pull.
Old 06-12-12, 06:34 AM
spock
Peripheral Visionary

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Maybe it's not an excuse but clips would help a lot when you get your ass of the saddle cos you'll have more power to pull.
They do help a lot to keep your feet in place and for pulling up, however, it's not a requirement when it comes to pedaling on your feet. One should have enough balance in the pedal stroke to pull it off without any toe clips or clip-less clips .
Old 06-12-12, 06:46 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

There are also some other things that i can't to while riding which i didn't mention yet. I can't look back, i can't reach to my water bottle, even if i can do that i can't put it back to its place, i can't point a danger to the group of people behind me (if there is any). But these are the things i can't do when i'm riding down the hill with a lot of speed (like 40 km/h which you can also do if you train hard). And you can ignore this paragraph, i know it'll get better by experience.
So,

1) Stay with it, and accumulate more miles;

2) Get clipless pedals, and cycling shoes; ( a decent setup is not terribly expensive)

3) Practice the various skills you struggle with, standing, drinking, looking back, etc.
Old 06-12-12, 07:34 AM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess there aren't any long climbs around here. Steep, but not necessarily long, or what's long isn't so steep. Or maybe I've found I'm significant;y more efficient in the saddle than out. Don't know.

One of these day's I'll make it to Black Mountain Rd and try that.
Old 06-12-12, 09:03 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As another poster said, the fact that standing uses a different muscle group means that, for those who can do it, standing a bit on a long climb gives the primary muscles used in seated climbs a bit of a break. Anyone who's ever taken a spinning class or used their bike on a trainer and included routines where they do sit/stand intervals or long periods of seated and standing climbs can identify with this situation. There are times when you actually feel better standing. One key trick is to shift into a slightly higher gear before standing so you'll generate the maximum power.
Old 06-12-12, 04:57 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
You don't have to be able to take a drink while riding;

You don't have to be able to eat while riding;

You don't have to be able to take off or put on clothing while riding;

You don't have to be able to ride one handed, or no handed;

You don't have to be able to stand while riding.

But the ability to do all these things will make you a better rider, help you ride longer, make your cycling faster, and more enjoyable.

and in the standing case help avoid erectile dysfunction.
Interesting that you didn't mention, "You don't have to be able to pee while riding." Ergo, you should be able to pee while riding.
Old 06-12-12, 05:38 PM
ursle
Rolling along

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the idea that when you are pooping your ass off while climbing the steepest hills it's a good idea to stand up and give yourself a boost. I tried that today and failed. My tighs hurt and sat back. Is it only useful when you're attacking to someone for a short period? On continous long hills should you stick to your saddle?
As there seem to be two types of body types, "sprinters and climbers" one should identify one's body type before administering opinions.
I like to be out of the saddle more then in it, flats are boring unless there's a stiff headwind, and hills are wonderful, the longer the better, I avoid humid days

First things first, without clips (pedals) you lose half the stroke, no up, really.
So after you get some, with nice orthotics underfoot, standing is more balanced, you're always connected, feeding yourself is safer, drinking is something you really need, try a camelback till you're comfortable with a bottle, but, let me point out, people that suffer Parkinson's are not bicycle riders, it's a balance thing,just sayin'
Old 06-12-12, 05:41 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Interesting that you didn't mention, "You don't have to be able to pee while riding." Ergo, you should be able to pee while riding.
For most people, this isn't a problem. The trick is being sanitary about it.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 06-12-12, 05:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Take it to the Tri forum for this topic.
Old 06-12-12, 06:03 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Take it to the Tri forum for this topic.
Oh come on now, roadies do it too. Bob Roll is just too classy to ever mention it during the Giro d'Italia.
Old 06-12-12, 06:34 PM
Eich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Heresy.

You need to be near death, or literaly falling over before voluntarily walking.
True! Real hard men die clipped in and they are buried with their bicycles still attached.
Old 06-13-12, 07:56 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8293 Post(s)
Liked 9,080 Times in 4,489 Posts

Just keep riding and practicing and a lot of things will get easier. It might help if you can ride with some experienced riders who can see what you are doing first hand.
As for the standing thing, most of us do it at some point but it comes easier for some.
I've seen a friend climb for miles while standing the whole way. I rode 10 miles with a guy who stood the whole time, chatting. He even stood while looking back to check traffic.
Old 06-13-12, 08:22 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
i know it'll get better by experience.
Yes you will and probably sooner than you might think. None of these skills are super difficult, they're just awkward for a beginner.
Old 06-13-12, 08:45 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Eich
True! Real hard men die clipped in and they are buried with their bicycles still attached.
See. e.g., Tom Simpson.
Old 06-13-12, 08:53 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Bob Roll is just too classy to....
There is never a proper end to this statement.

And we wouldn't want it any other way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.