Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Very scary - Exercise kills

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Very scary - Exercise kills

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-18, 02:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
.... people die of heart attacks shoveling snow in the winter because it's an activity they seldom do.
I wish I lived in an area like that.
Old 07-05-18, 08:18 AM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I agree that quality of life is more important than quantity. I intend to go out riding and hiking, dancing around and whooping it up and living life, not sitting on a couch or nursing my latest aches and pains.

I'm 59, and most days I have some aches and pains. Sometimes my wife says "... since that's bothering you, maybe we should not go (cycling, hiking, etc)". But if I sit out every time I "don't feel like it", it's going to be a downward spiral. The more I sit out, the worse I'd feel. Exercise keeps me going. I understand the need to rest and recover, and that some injuries or illnesses may put me out of commission at times - but as soon as I can I will be back in the saddle and living life to the fullest extent I can, until they plant me and cover me over.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
If I can Walk a marathon at 80 ,,, let alone run one ... and I have to be carried off the course after finishing, I will laugh long and loudly at anyone saying "You might have taken years off your life."
Old 07-13-18, 08:51 AM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Rje58
I agree that quality of life is more important than quantity. I intend to go out riding and hiking, dancing around and whooping it up and living life, not sitting on a couch or nursing my latest aches and pains.

I'm 59, and most days I have some aches and pains. Sometimes my wife says "... since that's bothering you, maybe we should not go (cycling, hiking, etc)". But if I sit out every time I "don't feel like it", it's going to be a downward spiral. The more I sit out, the worse I'd feel. Exercise keeps me going. I understand the need to rest and recover, and that some injuries or illnesses may put me out of commission at times - but as soon as I can I will be back in the saddle and living life to the fullest extent I can, until they plant me and cover me over.
Thank you. I needed to hear that. My back is killing me but I need to go on a ride.

Old 07-13-18, 10:37 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts

I'm 59, and most days I have some aches and pains. Sometimes my wife says "...

Sounds like, going to bed with all the intention in the world about going for a ride but the next day, waking up having a different attitude... if so, something so simple may be so effective it'll become a new daily routine...

… conclude the usual shower activities with a cool-down-- there's a lot of research about how effective it is to health and wellbeing (written about here) and, it's easy because, it's not the cold so much as it is the change from hot to cold. So, it doesn't have to be an icy-cold shower to effect a positive new outlook on the day.

If interested, I'll fetch the link.
Old 07-13-18, 11:52 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Well yes, of course it would be! We'd all like to have those sorts of negatives out of our lives, or at least know what to avoid. Unfortunately, current medical practice (I'm not being facetious) is to diagnose heart problems by means of a heart attack. ...
8 months later, I haven't seen the point of medical stress tests without some symptom presenting itself. I also see no reason to moderate intensity, as long as you ramp up in order to prevent injury, and monitor yourself during and after these efforts.
Old 07-13-18, 08:48 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa!

We don't do things like stress tests in asymptomatic people because we don't know what to do about positive results. Everything we know about how to interpret and act on the results of these tests assumes that those results come from people in whom there is a good reason to suspect cardiac ischemia. The same findings coming from a healthy person are much more likely to be false positives and the problem is no one knows how much more likely because the tests were developed and validated in patients. Medical data are full of borderline values, ambiguous squiggles, and funky images that come and go depending on the mindset of the examiner. These things are bad enough when the clinical situation is unambiguous. They are downright dangerous when it isn't.

As an example of what happens when you start messing around with stress tests, I had a crazy training partner when we were both in our 40s, an elite triathlete, who was a raving hypochondriac. He just freakin' had to tell someone he had chest pain one day, so he gets a stress thallium, they see "something," and he ends up on his back in the cath lab, at risk for a huge list of complications. Of course, he has a completely clean cath and has been fine ever since.
Old 07-15-18, 08:51 PM
Rje58

Is this as simple as taking a hot shower - and ending with cold water? If it's more complicated than that, yes, i'm interested in reading more about it.

Sounds like, going to bed with all the intention in the world about going for a ride but the next day, waking up having a different attitude... if so, something so simple may be so effective it'll become a new daily routine...

… conclude the usual shower activities with a cool-down-- there's a lot of research about how effective it is to health and wellbeing (written about here) and, it's easy because, it's not the cold so much as it is the change from hot to cold. So, it doesn't have to be an icy-cold shower to effect a positive new outlook on the day.

If interested, I'll fetch the link.
Old 07-15-18, 09:08 PM
McBTC

Is this as simple as taking a hot shower - and ending with cold water? If it's more complicated than that, yes, i'm interested in reading more about it.
The latest research suggests we benefit by simply ending a hot shower with cold for 2-3 minutes. For me it's simply dialing it down over a count of 60 and finishing up with washing the conditioner out of my hair. And, it doesn't have to be polar cold– a temperature of 68°F (likened to jumping into the ocean in southern California) is enough change to jump start the system., especially if you ordinarily take a really hot shower to begin with.

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...-work-etc.html
Old 07-15-18, 09:35 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I took a stress test because it made my doctor happy. Would have been really surprised if I had seen anything out of the ordinary
Old 07-16-18, 05:56 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
The latest research suggests we benefit by simply ending a hot shower with cold for 2-3 minutes. For me it's simply dialing it down over a count of 60 and finishing up with washing the conditioner out of my hair. And, it doesn't have to be polar cold– a temperature of 68°F (likened to jumping into the ocean in southern California) is enough change to jump start the system., especially if you ordinarily take a really hot shower to begin with.

The Finns and others have known this for centuries. The hot-cold treatment make me feel great, but also hungry, horny, and, ultimately, sleepy, viz. hyper-normal.
Old 07-16-18, 07:35 PM
Rje58

Thanks! I'll give it a go, starting tomorrow morning.

Old 07-16-18, 07:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
The Finns and others have known this for centuries. The hot-cold treatment make me feel great, but also hungry, horny, and, ultimately, sleepy, viz. hyper-normal.
I got it from some book about Yoga, back in the 70's. The book could have been bogus New Age nonsense for all I know, but the idea's been around for a long time.
Old 07-16-18, 08:31 PM
McBTC

Thanks! I'll give it a go, starting tomorrow morning.
I'm fairly skeptical of fads and most claims by others of any sort that seem too good or too easy or too self-serving to be believed. I've been ready, going on a year now, to concede that my estimation of the benefits may have been skewed by simple wishful thinking. No, the cool-down does not lead to increased hair growth but, every time I step into the shower feeling like a used rag and ready to succumb to a bone-deep, will-sapping lassitude, despite the previous evening's big plans for a bike ride, feeling as never before like I will discover it's was all just a big, self-deluding illusion, I remain amazed every time how I step out of the shower with an attitude of such great expectations and ready to undertake any challenge-- big winds, hot, humid, cold, looking like rain... bring on the hot coffee!