Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Seatpost or Other Advice on Positioning

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 03:13 PM
Frankthetank727

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I currently have a Fuji Roubaix 2009 model road bike and I have been struggling to get comfortable on this bike for a while now. A couple months ago I went through a professional fit that seemed to get me in the right place, however, after some more riding this has not been the case. At this point, I am trying to go more by feel instead of technology, so here is my main grief:

I used to have terrible sit bone pain, but as of late, the saddle seems to be ok and now low back pain is the culprit. I am 5 foot 11 and have a pretty long inseam (about 85cm) and not that long of a torso. The bike has a seat tube angle of 74cm and the bike frame is a 54cm. What I notice riding is that I feel like I am too far from the handlebars, however, I have my saddle as far forward as I can and I am still feeling like I am straining and "behind" the pedals, therefore overusing my back and not getting optimal power. I also noticed the seatpost has quite an offset, so anytime I adjust saddle height, I am also either pushed forwards or backwards. This all being said, what are some of my next things to try? Would a zero offset carbon seatpost be more appropriate for someone with my body geometry? I also am currently riding a 120mm stem with a 7 degree angle upwards. I just have never been able to pinpoint the issue, and while the person who fit me was convinced that it was my saddle, I, by feel, do not believe that this is the case. Any advice would be extremely useful. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-04-11, 03:50 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
First of all, while every bike can be different, I would say 54cm sounds pretty small for 5'11" 33" inseam. I cannot fit a 56cm frame comfortably and I am 6'0" 33" inseam. (I could do it with the stem negative, but I choose not to ride in the 'pro' position.)

But yes. If you feel behind the pedals a straight seatpost could help. I would try a cheap aluminum one first; ideally, see if your LBS will let you test fit one. I assume you've already tried moving the seat fore and aft on its rails?
Old 08-04-11, 03:59 PM
Frankthetank727

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried just about everything. Seat fore and aft, saddle height, the works. I was also wondering if my bike was actually too small before, but yeah like I said, long legs and a short torso and I do feel like the offset is really just not allowing me to put myself in a proper position because its like I put the saddle forward but then I need to raise the saddle, yet the offset ends up just moving me back again so it always just cancels out. Obviously I don't think I can get a new bike at this point so maybe I should just give the seatpost a try...
Old 08-04-11, 04:05 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Your idea of a zero offset seat post is one worth while trying since you mention a 74 degree seat post which puts you well back quite a bit if as you say, your torso is not that long. This is an easily reverseable change so there is little reason not to try it. Also a 100 mm stem would be worth a try and also easily reverseable.
Old 08-04-11, 04:05 PM
monkeyevil
I wave to Freds

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Size your bike by your tt length. Since you have a short torso I would assume a 54 is in your size range.

I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam and I ride a 54 as well.
Old 08-04-11, 06:46 PM
Frankthetank727

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
Your idea of a zero offset seat post is one worth while trying since you mention a 74 degree seat post which puts you well back quite a bit if as you say, your torso is not that long. This is an easily reverseable change so there is little reason not to try it. Also a 100 mm stem would be worth a try and also easily reverseable.
I am assuming it would be better to do one of these first and not both at the same time? I have been looking at seatposts, and I also had another question: the original seatpost is 300mm in length and this one I am looking at is 410mm. Does this matter? Like will a certain seatpost be too long or too short for the bike?
Old 08-04-11, 07:39 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Flip the stem to get the weight well distributed, then play with the offset because sure the fitter give you a seat back based in KOP and if you moved it now everything is off. The stem length looks like right to me but it is hard to tell w/o seeing you (im a tiny shorter than you but my legs arent that long). The other factor in the back pain is that probably the OP is trying to ride with 53x12 all the time and thats why he feels long and w/o power after the fitting. That could explain too the back pain. Flexibility??? Some guys cant stretch at all. Other ones cant ride with a flat back, many factors that are hard to guess w/o seeing you.

If you move the saddle to the front you have to get the saddle upper a few mm. I'm sure u did not move the saddle height, right? No equilibrium again... back pain.

Good luck.
Old 08-04-11, 08:05 PM
igknighted

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A bike fit is rarely a one-time deal. A fitter makes changes and expects you to come back with complaints. As he/she learns how you react to the changes, the fit gets more and more dialed in. Have you gone back to the fitter to discuss these issues? If not, why not? You paid for follow ups (at least in most cases) when you paid for the fit, I'd make sure I got my money's worth.