Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike fit question on Tarmac

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 03:18 PM
todayilearned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 6'0''-6'1'' throughout the day and cycling inseam is 33''.

I had a 2011 Comp SL2 58 before but even with a 90mm stem the TT length was a bit too long for me. There was also no clearance between my crotch and the TT at all when I stood up (I can't remember the proper term right now). The legs were perfect though. There was a slight offset in the stock seatpost and the Romin Saddle was pushed back to the max mark.

I ended up getting a 2012 Elite SL3 56 and now the TT length is PERFECT but I'm having issues with legs. Once I get the seat post up where I like it with my leg at a slight bench when the crank arms are at 12-6 o clock. Once I'm at 3-9 I get a slight issue where my knee is slightly in front of the ball of my foot causing me slight knee/hip pain.

I have a 25mm offset seatpost and the seat is a Toupe all the way back too...

Both cranks are 175mm.

Is there a big difference in 58 and 56 that would cause this issue? I've adjusted my cleats to see if I can move my feet a bit further but then I get numbness.

I'm wondering if the Tarmac isn't for me and I need a size 58 in another frame or could it be bigger crankarm length?

I'm planning on getting fitted soon anyway but would like some advice beforehand so I know if I should look for another frame.

Edit: I can move the seatpost up slightly more. It just bothers my a little when I stop that I have to be on my tippy toes or slant the bike a bit but it's more comfortable when I ride.

Last edited by todayilearned; 02-16-12 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 03:39 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
We are the same height only I have longer legs and therefore a shorter torso...but probably longer arms to match my longer legs. I would be on a 58. I think you need a fitting. I rarely suggest that, but you have a lot of questions and you say a few things that don't make a lot of sense and no reason to go into the nuances of fit on the web.
You can ride either 56 or 58 Tarmac and should be able fit pretty close on both...only with a bit more drop on the 56 which you can tolerate because your legs aren't that long. The Tarmac is a fantastic bike and I wouldn't seek another bike or another geometry without a a fitting.
Be very weary of somebody directing you to another bike...they just want to sell you something.
I ride a 58 Roubaix btw but could ride a 56 as well...only with more drop and one reason I chose the Roubaix was its tall head tube to achieve less drop.
I too ride a Toupe btw. You shouldn't need more than a 25mm offset post and shouldn't have to push your saddle all the way back either. Set your saddle in the middle of its rails. Don't get the tippy toe comment. All riders can barely touch the ground with their toes when the saddle is at the proper height. Get a fitting.

Last edited by Campag4life; 02-16-12 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-16-12, 03:46 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
First of all, I personally care very little about KOPS. Others agree with me, some vehemently defend KOPS.

1. Pictures of you on the bike would help tremendously.

2. Your saddle sounds very far back if you're on a 25mm setback post and you have it to the max on the rails. There are a few people who need this, but not many. So my immediate suspicion in the absence of pics is that you're too far back. If you come forward and the reach feels wrong, get a longer stem. Get a cheap one like a FSA OS-190 if you are afraid about dishing out for a new 120-140mm stem.

3. When you stop, do not try to stay in the saddle. Doesn't matter if it's a short pause or a long stoplight, move forward and standover the frame. This might let you adjust the saddle height to where it out to be, if you're running it low just to be able to stay seated when you stop.
Old 02-16-12, 04:55 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm going to get some pictures of myself on the bike when my brother gets home. He's what I have so far:

Ok, so my Toupe isn't all the way to the back. It was my Flite seat. This one is kinda centered:
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the current position of the seatpost. Sitting on it I can get the ball of my foot on the ground.
Old 02-16-12, 05:08 PM
I <3 Robots

Bikes: Cervelo S2, Workswell 062, Banshee Spitfire

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You shouldn't be able to get the ball of your feet on the ground if your saddle is at the correct height.

Nice bike btw!
Old 02-16-12, 06:23 PM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts
How much of your foot it any. On my tiptoes I can sit on the seat..sort of, that is it. My fitting is my own of course but after years I know what I need.
Old 02-16-12, 06:33 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice chain, do you live at the top of a hill?. .

assuming your seat is the right height it sounds like your body is too "frogged" up: hands too far out and down or your seat too far back, making your torso and legs to scrunched up with your thighs hitting your nipples and over stretching your IT band which is pulling on your hips and knees. That is my theory, so please dont take it 100%. You would feel the scrunchiness most when in the drops and hammering at 25+. Not even gonna speculate as too how you should fix this becuase its the internets.
Old 02-16-12, 06:46 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
Nice chain, do you live at the top of a hill?. .

assuming your seat is the right height it sounds like your body is too "frogged" up: hands too far out and down or your seat too far back, making your torso and legs to scrunched up with your thighs hitting your nipples and over stretching your IT band which is pulling on your hips and knees. That is my theory, so please dont take it 100%. You would feel the scrunchiness most when in the drops and hammering at 25+. Not even gonna speculate as too how you should fix this becuase its the internets.
I was messing with the shifters checking something. I've already made an appointment with a local fitter who is highly recommended.

I was going through my old pics and here is an 09 Allez I had... I know it doesn't mean much since the standing of the bikes wasn't the same but it was a 58 and the seat is about 1 inch higher when I compare it to the door handle position:

Old 02-16-12, 06:53 PM
climber7

Bikes: 2010 Jamis Xenith Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, see a fitter. but you've made an appointment already so i think you're all set. also, you shouldn't care about touching the ground from the seat. get out of the saddle and put a foot down when you stop, unless you're right next to a curb.

Originally Posted by todayilearned
I know it doesn't mean much since the standing of the bikes wasn't the same but it was a 58 and the seat is about 1 inch higher when I compare it to the door handle position
height from the ground is totally irrelevant. measure from the center of the bottom bracket. but if you're concerned about being able to touch the ground from your seat, wouldn't your old bike have been worse in that regard?
Old 02-16-12, 07:16 PM
tcwayne

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3, 2013 Sram Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Love the frame. Looks fantastic. SRAM in red/black would have blown me off my chair but close.
Old 02-16-12, 07:25 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcwayne
Love the frame. Looks fantastic. SRAM in red/black would have blown me off my chair but close.
What do you think of those touches of yellow?
Old 02-16-12, 07:37 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcwayne
I paid $1,350 for the SRAM Force groupset at my LBS just because I wanted to build a relationship with them. I just saw the thread about Ribble groupset sales and for that much I could have gotten SRAM Red Black...

Originally Posted by Pinkbullet3
There's always a person making fun of me for forgetting to take the safety stickers off. If you mean the wheels... it's the mavic logo.. can't do much about it.
Old 02-16-12, 08:02 PM
tcwayne

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Tarmac SL3, 2013 Sram Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just the inside of the fork? No problem.
Old 02-16-12, 09:02 PM
lazerzxr

Bikes: Colnago C59 Italia Di2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice bike.

for the first time ever I agree 100% with what campag4life said in post 2 so +1 to all his comments.

I think you say a few things that demonstrate you are a little lost with where to start so a bike fit would be beneficial. If you dont like the result of the fit give it time and make sure you write down all the measurements so you can come back to it later if you want to. Then make small adjustments until you feel better, or go back to the fitter if you are not happy.
Old 02-16-12, 09:08 PM
Pinkbullet3
   

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's always a person making fun of me for forgetting to take the safety stickers off. If you mean the wheels... it's the mavic logo.. can't do much about it.

Still a good looking bike, though.
Old 02-16-12, 10:55 PM
todayilearned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Still a good looking bike, though.
Damn right it is...

Just one thing... I was told it was a 2012 Elite but I can't find this color scheme on the website. Anyone know why?