Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Purchasing decisions - Focused? Freeranging? Opportunistic? Egalitarian?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Purchasing decisions - Focused? Freeranging? Opportunistic? Egalitarian?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-20, 11:17 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Is irrational one of the choices?
Is it not part of all of them?
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 01-05-20, 11:36 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,023 Times in 665 Posts
So I think I have a plan. The hierarchy is first, is it cheap in my price range. Next is is it a an American brand, then was it made in the US.

After buying what I like over the years I have discovered that I tend to like American brands, or at least have a preference for them. My racing bike was a Serotta. I found that I had a lot of American brands, Schwinn, Cannondale and Trek right now.

This is one reason that I recently bought a Schwinn Continental. Of course, $25 asking price was a motivator as well. At some point, I would like to get a Trek 930 so that I can get a US make Trek.

What I am missing out on is the 70's French bikes that I have an appreciation for and the '80's Japanese bikes that I have had many and I know what a good value they are. I do have a Panasonic Sport 1000 Mixte for my wife.
Old 01-05-20, 11:40 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
I typically look for something interesting at an attractive price. I only used the "focused" approach on my Chicago Paramount and my two Prologues. I know "focused" means I will pay full market value, maybe higher.

I routinely use the "component-aholic" method, figuring I already have the frameset in hand. I am usually reselling the parts. I do keep a stash of a couple of groups for future builds.

The other thing I will buy is the orphan, battered, but interesting bike that "needs" a save. I did this with an early 1970s Raleigh Gran Sport. Everything was stuck, missing lots of parts, and lots of rust. But I just thought it could use a save. So I did it.

I've stopped buying the mid level road bikes. They do not have components useful for my stash or to sell, there is no return in my market anymore. Curiously, I have starting buying more 1980s MTBs. I never thought that would happen. But there were some interesting ones out there, and the parts have value that significantly exceed the purchase price.

Some 2019 purchases:

1973 Nishiki Safari: It was just too original and TOO funky to pass up. It was in the part out pile when I saved it.

1973 Nishiki Safari by wrk101, on Flickr
1972+/- Crescent 320:

Crescent 320 by wrk101, on Flickr

1972 Paramount in dreadful condition, picture doesn't show the flaws well enough:

1972 Paramount by wrk101, on Flickr

1987 High Sierra, as found, incredibly good condition. Roller cams, thumb shifters, lots of desirable parts. Sold complete for about what the wheels bring...

1987 Schwinn High Sierra by wrk101, on Flickr

Last edited by wrk101; 01-05-20 at 11:50 AM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 01-05-20, 11:42 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Is it not part of all of them?
Indeed! Last year I was at a seminar where the idea was raised of being skeptical of “the stories we tell ourselves” or those ways we rationalize a decision or try to explain a phenomenon from an egocentric point of view. Not that there’s anything wrong with that!
Old 01-05-20, 12:21 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,834 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Since there's not a Frugal or Obsessed category I'll take Focused.
I've got my favorite Ironman color scheme from each year '86 through '89.... However I'm missing '85.
The hunt continues....

Hey, you just made 2 more!
Frugal is not necessarily Bottomfeeder.
Obsessed is beyond Focused -
like SearchLighted with Blinders = as in -
i know it's a 19XX ______ in my color, in my size, but the saddle and rims aren't original!
or
Cobalto brakes or i'm not investing
or
NOS includes the box, darn you idioto!
or
Restored? That looks barely refurbished..... or properly cleaned...
Old 01-05-20, 12:35 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I think.... Chromed deserves a separate category?

Is 1 category enough for Chrome - not just frameset - full socks, headlugs only, even good chrome paint
Old 01-05-20, 01:01 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I think.... Chromed deserves a separate category?

Is 1 category enough for Chrome - not just frameset - full socks, headlugs only, even good chrome paint
I need chrome, even if it’s just on the drive side chainstay. I have a fully chromed 1972 Paramount and this Pinarello Gavia gives me plenty of chrome;

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-05-20 at 01:22 PM.
Likes For Barrettscv:
Old 01-05-20, 03:13 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Reading about the Buyers Market in vintage bicycles makes me wonder.
Checking available buying sources reveals many purchasing opportunities in appropriate size and at a multitude of asking prices - low and high.

So I wonder - since i don't 'need' another vintage roadie - or other bike...

What drives your purchasing decisions and what type of buyer are you?
Focused - Must have a Celeste Bianchi, or something close....
Freeranging - Hey that's Nice! or Baby, that's a New Ride...
Opportunistic - Based on that fuzzy pic, it might be a classic, or decent (or not)?!?
Opportunistic II - It's only a day's drive and would cost $100 more around here!
Egalitarian - I must save them all, or many
Egalitarian II - It would be unkind if I passed on this ...(Hetchins Curly, Columbine, Sachs, DeRosa, The Pope's Colnago, etc)
Bottomfeeder - self explanatory
Component-aholic - Campy Anniversay! Full DuraQce 1st gen
Component-aholic II - But I'm missing Pat74!; i could build a better bike around that crankset!
Color freaked - But it's RED! Molteni ORANGE! Cream Panels!

Who knows your category; not that one should be of monogamous cycling buying habits.

It's Winter and a New Year - Buy On!
​​​​​​ I
been all of the above, except the 2 "egalitarian" s.

I'm into race bikes, and the idea of going fast. It's where I stopped riding, Bitd. M
focus is on prospecting, rehabilitating and "creative building" (ha, ha) type projects. I have a feeling my old TT constructs will have to be reduced back to their component parts in order to sell, but building them and having them around meant a lot to me. I'm too old and slow to have done them Justice, but I felt good "warming up" on them. ​​​​​​
Old 01-05-20, 04:48 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Lately I've been more of a "Hey, I have this old bike in my garage/basement/storage/shed, you want it?" people.
Might be that I'm working on clearing a 60 year accumulated house, garage, barn, all of them full, estate and think I should downsize a bit.
Old 01-05-20, 06:01 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,141 Posts
As a former bike shop manager, I still see opportunity in a good bike, if it needs some TLC. But I have six bikes I hold in high regard and continue to work on restoring and riding. I am getting shorter due to age,and will likely need to size down, and change my ways. But as I work in my co-op I am more of a bottom feeder. Smiles, MH
Old 01-07-20, 07:10 AM
morri869 

Bikes: 1984 Lotus Classique, 1996 Cannondale T700

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 68 Posts
I am usually focused, and look for makes/ models that I am interested in riding myself. Or when looking for friends/family I find that one that fits their needs the best.

However.... I have a soft spot for those opportunistic mystery frames. Repainted and with a random mix of components but with the potential to be a diamond in the rough? Count me in! I feel like that's how I have learned most in this forum, asking questions and hearing from the vast cycling knowledge that is here. 😁
Old 01-07-20, 07:41 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I have a bucket list or desirable list that is all Italian. That does not preclude others. It is a priority list for me. I am selective about each. Chrome is highly desirable for any. Campagnolo or Superbe Pro is also a deciding factor. Purpose also is a consideration, i.e. I NEED a gravel grinder and a touring bike. I also need a fat bike!
If I had to choose between the bucket list item and any other, the bucket wins.
Old 01-07-20, 08:57 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,601 Times in 1,764 Posts
Opportunistic bottom-feeder, I suppose. Although there is some focus creeping in, driven by a lack of storage space.

But if its is cheap, my size (or mrs non-fixie's for that matter) AND interesting, I'll find it hard to resist.

Latest example below. Rare brand, looks nicely made (and it says "Pro" and "handgearbeitet"!), interesting tubing, perfectly sized, €40. "Yes, I'll have that, please".

Old 01-07-20, 11:31 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Maybe there should be a Bonehead category for me. Since it happens periodically.
I'm clearly not Egalitarian - not trying to save them all.
Bottomfeeder could apply, but not exactly.
Or maybe the category is "It might be worth it"

Old 01-07-20, 12:01 PM
Hajo

Bikes: Several Gazelle Team steel bikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 32 Posts
A few years I bought a frame every 2-3 months, rebuild it and got it sold. As I do not have a large garage I can't keep them all. So I now only have Gazelle bikes with a proven history (2x Team from a genuine team and 1x Special from a very well known former world champion ice skating) and I have to sell everything else. Still regret selling my Chesini Precision though but it is not a Gazelle.

Allthough I am on the verge of buying a really nice Vitus 979, but that is only because I still have a NOS Dura Ace first generation groupset in stock to put on it.

So I may be a specific buyer for a single brand, I prefer Shimano over Campagnolo, do not mind driving a few hours to pick up an interesting bike, frame or parts, also I buy a lot of parts from all over the world.
I love higher end frames or something less common, but most of all I absolutely love all the people I have met during the last few years buying and selling bike related stuff. Almost all passionate lovers of vintage stuff, long conversations over coffee, always a joy to do so, and I certainly will for many years to come.
Old 01-07-20, 12:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
I guess opportunistic bottom feeder

I have 3 bike that meet my needs/desires (one just get on it and do errands bike, one eroica bike and one nice but everyday rider) and am not really looking to add (other than a Kirk custom in my dreams which would probably displace on of my bikes)

that said I don't have anything italian now, so if trip over something interesting, cheap i might bight (think really nice torpado super light in my size as interesting)

and a Miyata 1000 in super condition and my size would tempt me

Old 01-07-20, 01:44 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
How about Semi-focused?

I already have more bikes than I need or use, and have my wife's three to sell off. I could easily (sorta) part with a few of mine and settle on one to replace them.

One bike I would like to have is an '80s touring machine in 24"/62cm that will ride rock steady when loaded with four panniers and stuff. Trek 5/6/720, Nishiki or Miyata or Specialized or whatever. That's the "semi" part of the focus. Focus is the type, brand not so much.