Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Dry bag for commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Dry bag for commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 09:53 AM
cyrmanj

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Epic HT and Langster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dry bag for commuting?

Hi all,

I am currently commuting to work and in my country rainy season is starting, which is fine by me except for soaking my belongings on my backpack! I am considering using a dry bag such as the 20 liters Adventure Lion Premium Waterproof Dry Bag, I canīt post the amazon link yet but you can check it.

So my concern is, how comfortable would it be to use a 20 liters dry bag that only comes with one shoulder strap? Has anyone used a loaded dry bag to pedal for relatively short distances? Any feedback or advice would be appreciated. My average commuting distance is of about 9 miles and occasionally I will need to bring my laptop plus clothes and shoes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-18, 10:02 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I use 2-gallon ziplock bags, if my wife can find them, or smaller if otherwise. I don't see how that can possibly be less effective than a waterproof/resistant carry bag.
Old 04-09-18, 10:11 AM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I use 2-gallon ziplock bags, if my wife can find them, or smaller if otherwise. I don't see how that can possibly be less effective than a waterproof/resistant carry bag.
Thanks, so you put all your stuff on the ziplock bag and then it on a backpack? Thatīs a simpler and more effective solution indeed. I asked a fellow commuter and he also gave me this advice, so I am also considering it as an option.
Old 04-09-18, 10:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrmanj
Thanks, so you put all your stuff on the ziplock bag and then it on a backpack? Thatīs a simpler and more effective solution indeed. I asked a fellow commuter and he also gave me this advice, so I am also considering it as an option.
Yep. Or the ziplock inside a nylon bag transported inside my trunk, or inside what I use for a laptop bag, as the case may be.
Old 04-09-18, 10:36 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I have always carried a rain-cover for my water-resistant panniers and trunk bags. Even with those, I have still put my electronics into ziplock bags, as a second layer of security.
Over the weekend, I found this pannier for 25% off at REI and gave it a shot:
https://ortliebusa.com/product/bike-shopper/
Oh my. This is my favorite bag ever! It hangs a bit lower than my old pannier. This makes for a bit more stable ride. The seal is beyond watertight. When I got to work and "unzipped" it, air from my house escaped (I'll have to remember to flatten it before sealing it). I've always carried by laptop on a low-profile backpack that can go under my raincoat, but this new pannier is big enough and watertight enough that I can take that weight off my shoulders now.
There are a couple of pockets inside, so I have a place for my wallet, house key and bike lock. This is my first bag with the Ortlieb Quick-Release system and it is quite impressive also. I can't say enough about this bag (and I've only used it once).
Old 04-09-18, 10:46 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Why not get a drybag backpack?
Old 04-09-18, 10:47 AM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks,

My current set up is a revelate designs small pika seat bag and a regular jansport backpag. I haven't considered panniers yet due to the need of adding the frame to my bike. I am commuting on a singlespeed Specialized Langster.
Old 04-09-18, 10:50 AM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Why not get a drybag backpack?
Reviews of some have shown me that are not as effective as a dry bag and usually are more expensive. Do you have any particular recommendations? Thanks!
Old 04-09-18, 11:14 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If that was my only bike, I’d look at getting a frame bag. Backpacks are awful. At least around here with the heat and humidity.
Old 04-09-18, 11:29 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
If that was my only bike, I’d look at getting a frame bag. Backpacks are awful. At least around here with the heat and humidity.
I was thinking of a frame bag. But the two drawbacks are small size (6L or less) and cost (many over $100). I'll have to revisit them since my current backpack is several years old and pretty beat up (one strap is fairly chewed up). Or maybe another option is a seat bag?
Old 04-09-18, 11:45 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks,

My current set up is a revelate designs small pika seat bag and a regular jansport backpag. I haven't considered panniers yet due to the need of adding the frame to my bike. I am commuting on a singlespeed Specialized Langster.
I did mention my low-profile backpack. It really does fit under my raincoat. I don't carry anything in it but a thin laptop and 2TB external drive. The bag really is that small, so you'd need another solution for more items. However, it is fully reflective, so when it is not raining, I would wear it out where cars' would light it up and see me.

https://www.betabrand.com/mens/more/...aptop-backpack

Even though it goes under my raincoat, I still would put my laptop inside a large ziplock, just in case.
Old 04-09-18, 12:11 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Reviews of some have shown me that are not as effective as a dry bag and usually are more expensive. Do you have any particular recommendations? Thanks!
No specific recommendations. IME a backpack is much more manageable on a bike than a single strap bag.
Old 04-09-18, 12:33 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
I generally dislike carrying much in backpacks, hate one strap bags (sliding around is what they do, especially if you get out of the saddle to go uphill) and love riding with the weight in front LowRider racks and panniers. And there are very good, fully waterproof panniers. (This was not true when I started cycling, but Ortlieb did the cycling world a huge favor by showing how it could be done. Now many others, inspired by them, make good waterproof bags and panniers. I still use the Ortliebs. The pair I bout 19 years ago hasn't worn out yet and the 9 year old pair look almost new.

I believe Ortleib now makes and I know some of their competitors make panniers with shoulder straps so you can carry them on the bike, then lift them off and sling over your shoulder when you lock the bike. My older Ortleibs have carry straps and I actually prefer to carry my dirty bags off the bike on wet days to throwing them over my shoulder.

Ben
Old 04-09-18, 12:47 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
I have always carried a rain-cover for my water-resistant panniers and trunk bags. Even with those, I have still put my electronics into ziplock bags, as a second layer of security.
Over the weekend, I found this pannier for 25% off at REI and gave it a shot:
https://ortliebusa.com/product/bike-shopper/
Oh my. This is my favorite bag ever! It hangs a bit lower than my old pannier. This makes for a bit more stable ride. The seal is beyond watertight. When I got to work and "unzipped" it, air from my house escaped (I'll have to remember to flatten it before sealing it). I've always carried by laptop on a low-profile backpack that can go under my raincoat, but this new pannier is big enough and watertight enough that I can take that weight off my shoulders now.
There are a couple of pockets inside, so I have a place for my wallet, house key and bike lock. This is my first bag with the Ortlieb Quick-Release system and it is quite impressive also. I can't say enough about this bag (and I've only used it once).
An excellent philosophy and one that save me when I would get caught out in the open in one of Florida's torrential downpours. I had my computer double wrapped with the seam pointed down (water can still drip in when it gets really soaked).
Originally Posted by alan s
It was a nightmare when I lived in south Florida or any other hot, humid location. I got a Topeak with a quick release. If I ever did it again, I'd get a pannier.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-15-18 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-09-18, 12:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There are also drybag panniers, which I believe are extremely effective at keeping the water out. Ortlieb. But, a few other brands too.
Old 04-09-18, 05:18 PM
OmegaWolf
on your lawn

Bikes: 1995 Trek 370, 1997 Trek 800 Sport, 2013 Specialized Crossroads Elite, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR5, 1991 Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I just ordered a waterproof mountaineering backpack. It's supposed to get here Thursday and heavy rain is in the forecast for Friday. I'll let you know how it works and post the info after I've tried it.
Old 04-09-18, 05:52 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Another option is a roll top bag that fits inside the backpack. I have a Banjo Bros replacement water proof liner that fits inside one of my panniers, but I know they make some for backpacks as well, and they are pretty cheap ($10.)
Old 04-09-18, 06:19 PM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered a waterproof mountaineering backpack. It's supposed to get here Thursday and heavy rain is in the forecast for Friday. I'll let you know how it works and post the info after I've tried it.
Cool, good luck and let us know!

Thanks to all for the ideas.
Old 04-09-18, 08:32 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Do what many hikers/backpackers do. Line your pack with a heavy plastic bag. Put your stuff in and roll the bag top down to create a water proof seal. Most use a "contractors bag. It's simple, cheap and it works.
Old 04-10-18, 10:44 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
Do what many hikers/backpackers do. Line your pack with a heavy plastic bag. Put your stuff in and roll the bag top down to create a water proof seal. Most use a "contractors bag. It's simple, cheap and it works.
+1

I'm currently using the plastic shopping bags for my clothing inside the backpack trick. A little more ghetto than the contractor's bag but still fairly effective. I also take a second plastic bag and tie it around my seat. Put the knot in the front of the seatpost so it doesn't obscure the rear tail light.
Old 04-10-18, 09:38 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks,

Spray paint the rack orange, get one purple pannier and one in metallic gold. Then it'll be hipster enough for you.
Old 04-10-18, 09:52 PM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Spray paint the rack orange, get one purple pannier and one in metallic gold. Then it'll be hipster enough for you.
Old 04-10-18, 11:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
Another option is a roll top bag that fits inside the backpack. I have a Banjo Bros replacement water proof liner that fits inside one of my panniers, but I know they make some for backpacks as well, and they are pretty cheap ($10.)
I use a sling bag that isn't as water repellent as I'd anticipated, so after seeing this suggestion I looked around and found some extremely cheap dry bags on Ebay that are light enough to use as a liner. Haven't bought one yet but don't see why one wouldn't work. The Banjo Bros liner looks fine but I didn't see any details on dimensions, which annoyed me enough to look elsewhere for equivalents.
Old 04-11-18, 05:29 PM
cyrmanj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
I use a sling bag that isn't as water repellent as I'd anticipated, so after seeing this suggestion I looked around and found some extremely cheap dry bags on Ebay that are light enough to use as a liner. Haven't bought one yet but don't see why one wouldn't work. The Banjo Bros liner looks fine but I didn't see any details on dimensions, which annoyed me enough to look elsewhere for equivalents.
And does the sling bag stays put? I have a feeling it will be dancing around as mentioned on one of the posts above due to only one shoulder strap.
Old 04-11-18, 05:30 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
And does the sling bag stays put? I have a feeling it will be dancing around as mentioned on one of the posts above due to only one shoulder strap.
I have a Kelty Spur bag, it has two straps so mostly stays put. Bought it more for traveling but found that it works good enough for commuting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.