Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Budget bike computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-18, 05:15 PM
amazinmets73

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Budget bike computer

I'm looking for a computer with a max budget of $150. Willing to go new or used.

A strong navigational system is a priority
Old 09-25-18, 09:48 AM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
You will have to spend some time shopping to find one under $150 like I did. Look at "IGPSPORT IG618. It does a lot for the price and I have had excellent response from their support team.
Old 09-25-18, 10:34 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ about $20, you get a wired time, speed and distance calculator ..
based on wheel rotation counting

it's the GPS for navigation .. that will cost you..
Old 09-25-18, 11:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
@ about $20, you get a wired time, speed and distance calculator ..
based on wheel rotation counting

it's the GPS for navigation .. that will cost you..
Or you could buy the bike computer for $20, and get a mount for your smart phone for $50 more to navigate.
Old 09-25-18, 03:44 PM
rmueller

Bikes: Catrike Villager with Golden Motor Magic Pie Edge

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on IGPS units. You can buy them cheap on eBay (almost half of what you pay on Amazon), but they ship from China.
Old 09-26-18, 01:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I use my phone plus a $60 Quad Lock mounting system plus the paid version of ridewithgps (~$50/year) plus a $20 external battery to keep it powered all day long.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-26-18, 01:28 PM
daveg22152

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$150 for a bike computer takes me out of the "budget computer" range, but then again I'm a cheapskate. Along those lines, can anyone recommend a good basic computer for around $50 USD maximum? I'm looking for a reliable easy to read unit that is wireless and displays current and average speed, ride time, trip distance, odometer, and clock time. I'm not interested in GPS.

Thanks, all!
Old 09-26-18, 01:35 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by daveg22152
$150 for a bike computer takes me out of the "budget computer" range, but then again I'm a cheapskate. Along those lines, can anyone recommend a good basic computer for around $50 USD maximum? I'm looking for a reliable easy to read unit that is wireless and displays current and average speed, ride time, trip distance, odometer, and clock time. I'm not interested in GPS.

Thanks, all!
The $3 wired computers on ebay work flawlessly for years. I'm not kidding. I've installed many of them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-26-18, 02:44 PM
daveg22152

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The $3 wired computers on ebay work flawlessly for years. I'm not kidding. I've installed many of them.
That does bring up a good point on the premium one pays for having the name brand stamped on the unit, warranty and implied quality assurance notwithstanding
Old 09-26-18, 03:27 PM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use my phone plus a $60 Quad Lock mounting system plus the paid version of ridewithgps (~$50/year) plus a $20 external battery to keep it powered all day long.
What battery do you use and where do have it place at ?
Thank you
Rick
Old 09-26-18, 04:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

The $3 computers are a design possibly 30 years old, probably not patented or copyrighted, debugged and made efficiently.

I use an Anker Astro E1 battery, lashed onto the top tube with rubber bands and Velcro, just behind the stem. I use a 1-ft cable.

Old 09-26-18, 04:38 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Watch off by a minute after 2 days, screen crowded invisible in sunlight, screen disappearing when it gets cold, computer stopping when it rains, all accumulated readings disappearing when you change battery, obnoxious menus with useless functions that you need to toggle through to get to an elementary function, etc. When you have money to waste you can hardly go wrong with $3 computers off Ebay
Old 09-27-18, 05:50 AM
rick47601

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The $3 computers are a design possibly 30 years old, probably not patented or copyrighted, debugged and made efficiently.

I use an Anker Astro E1 battery, lashed onto the top tube with rubber bands and Velcro, just behind the stem. I use a 1-ft cable.
I guess, I know what i be ordering . I like listening to music , After 2 hours iphone is almost dead
Thank you
Rick
Old 09-27-18, 07:39 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by rick47601
I guess, I know what i be ordering . I like listening to music , After 2 hours iphone is almost dead
Thank you
Rick
Yeah, I use my iphone heavily, and the internal battery is in bad shape. I have to charge it several times a day. With this external one, I can leave the screen on for ours and not deplete the internal one at all. The external battery has so much capacity that I don't have to charge it every day, but I suggest that you do anyway. This way, you don't have to think about it.

Old 09-27-18, 07:43 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by 2_i
Watch off by a minute after 2 days, screen crowded invisible in sunlight, screen disappearing when it gets cold, computer stopping when it rains, all accumulated readings disappearing when you change battery, obnoxious menus with useless functions that you need to toggle through to get to an elementary function, etc. When you have money to waste you can hardly go wrong with $3 computers off Ebay

OK I know this stuff happens sometimes, but it hasn't happened to me. Sure, you shouldn't expect much when you spend $3. More importantly, you don't have to spend a lot. Cateye has been in the bike computer business for a long time, and if you buy one of their computers, you can't go wrong. I imagine a $20-50 model will be rock solid.

Old 09-27-18, 07:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Riding a bike ain't running a railroad. If you need accurate time to within 30 seconds, you'll have to look elsewhere.

But $20 or so will get you a proven design.
Old 09-27-18, 11:31 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

OK I know this stuff happens sometimes, but it hasn't happened to me. Sure, you shouldn't expect much when you spend $3.
Well, you spend little and say, oh that was bad luck and sure it does not cost a lot to roll the dice again and maybe twice. They do not cost $3, but a bit more and I now have a full bin, presumably 10 or so for quite a bit of money. Only one got mounted for a more obscure use and even that one operates with a better magnet, presumably costing more than the whole computer itself, since to get a reading with the original really required 0.5mm distance from the sensor. It was a waste of time and money and all that bin has zero resale value. If you buy a better computer and do not like it, you can at least sell it back on Ebay.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Riding a bike ain't running a railroad. If you need accurate time to within 30 seconds, you'll have to look elsewhere.
Oh yeah, sure, who cares whether you are late for work or class. There was once a survey of wrist watch accuracy of passers by in the street. In some countries the watches turned out to be accurate down to 15sec (I guess Switzerland). In other they were commonly off by 15min (Mexico I think). I tried to find a link for that survey but failed so far. While people have their phone times set by the carrier, it is interesting to note that in some countries and carriers those times can be still off by 2-3min .

Originally Posted by pdlamb
But $20 or so will get you a proven design.
After the spew of purchases of cheap computers on Amazon/Ebay I spent ~$30 on a Sigma and did not need to go back to the problem since.
Old 09-27-18, 12:39 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

OK fair points! My point of view is providing these to people such as my wife who can't even remember to zero hers before a ride. I spend $3 and am pleased it works at all. But now you make me feel silly for recommending them, because I'm sure @amazinmets73 wants his to work reliably. And I've been down that road with bike headlights and phone mounts and realized I shouldn't have been so damn cheap in the beginning. I've spent a lot on those things, largely because I was so cheap so many times. Now I finally spent the big money, and that has paid off.

Old 09-27-18, 01:10 PM
2_i 

My point of view is providing these to people such as my wife who can't even remember to zero hers before a ride. I spend $3 and am pleased it works at all.
I's not so different here . The mounted computer is a solar powered one, as I thought that this provided a venue for its continued operation - the bike owner presumably would not change the battery once it drained.
Old 09-27-18, 05:15 PM
Jarrettsin

Bikes: 2016 Trek FX7.4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Where do you keep the extra battery while the phone is in the Quad lock do you mount it also?
Old 09-27-18, 08:35 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I had used relatively expensive wired Cateye and sigma computers with cadence sensor. they all have similar problems:
- the magnet needs to be very close to the receiver. I had to build up quite a contraption on the chainstay or the fork to get the receiver close enough (wasn't possible with the included material). that magnet that gets attached to the spokes is just too small. Occasionally the magnet turns and needs to be re-adjusted.
- the cadence magnet slips on the crank with the included rubber. one even fell off. i ended up buying a large molybdenum magnet and glued it on the crank with epoxy.
- every once a while one of the signals (cadence or speed) doesn't display because the computer needs to be re-reinserted in the base.
- One of my bikes lost the cadence, sensor must have failed

So, wired and expensive brand also doesn't give you painless computers.

The newer BT/ANT cadence are much better and don't need a magnet, they just use an accelerometer. IMHO speed can just be derived from GPS. Yes in deep canyons this may be spotty. But an rpm-based speed has its own problems. You need to measure the wheel circumference exactly and account for pressure and tire-sag. Wheel swaps and sue on different bikes makes an even better case for GPS-derived speed.

If speed is all you need, there are $50 GPS speed computers. No fuss with wheel sensor etc.
Old 09-28-18, 05:53 AM
2_i 

Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
- the magnet needs to be very close to the receiver. I had to build up quite a contraption on the chainstay or the fork to get the receiver close enough (wasn't possible with the included material). that magnet that gets attached to the spokes is just too small. Occasionally the magnet turns and needs to be re-adjusted.
- the cadence magnet slips on the crank with the included rubber. one even fell off. i ended up buying a large molybdenum magnet and glued it on the crank with epoxy.
- every once a while one of the signals (cadence or speed) doesn't display because the computer needs to be re-reinserted in the base.
Indeed mounts tend to be problematic. If I decide that the computer stays, I make my own stainless steel mounts for the computer and sensors. The latter stay on the bike at all times and the mounts prevent their slipping and any easy removal. Since there are contacts involved for the computer my respective mount integrates what the manufacturer provided and my own contraption.
Old 09-28-18, 07:51 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Jarrettsin
Where do you keep the extra battery while the phone is in the Quad lock do you mount it also?
I think I better take pictures and make a blog post, because many have asked me. Maybe that means it's a useful invention.

I strap the battery onto the top tube, right behind the stem. I use a velcro strap, a very thick rubber band which I use as a bumper between battery and frame, and a ball bungee. It's quick to insert and remove the battery, and the battery is secure while I ride. I use a very short, 1-ft cable between the battery and the phone.

Another way to do this is to use a top tube bag. There are very small bags that go on top of the top tube, right behind the stem.

Old 09-28-18, 07:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Calculating speed from GPS has its own problems. Some computers and phone apps use both GPS and sensors, and this combination improves accuracy.

My app was set to use a small sampling period for displaying speed. As a result, the speed it displayed went up and down wildly, showing speeds I know I wasn't hitting, both too high and too low. I increased the sample period to 50 seconds, and that solved that problem, but now I don't know how fast I've been going for the last 15 seconds. It's too bad. I strongly suspect that when I end the ride, software on the server recalculates speed from all the data points I've provided, because it looks about as accurate as possible. But one problem which can't be fixed is that I ride in NYC where there are many tall and dense buildings. The buildings create reflections, and it shows me zigzagging through buildings and onto the river, which I am definitely not doing. The bigger the deviation, the higher the incorrect speed. It has even shown me to make bursts of speed up to 50 mph while on flat ground. Because these bursts are short, they probably don't throw off my average too much, but max speed becomes a useless metric.

Old 09-29-18, 05:12 PM
amazinmets73

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Went out for a spin today. Locked in bike navigation in the maps app on my smartphone, threw it in my jersey pocket and put on a pair of headphones. Easy peasy.

So it seems I'm set as far as navigation. Just looking for speed, mileage, and possibly cadence. Anyone have any options for $60 or less? Much appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.