Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Balaclava

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-19, 06:37 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Balaclava

I wore a Balaclava over my head and mouth today when I rode. The area on the device at the mouth is not an opening but a netted material..It caused so much moisture to build up that my whole lower face and jaw was covered in moisture from breathing. What recommendations does anyone have for covering their mouths in really cold weather This morning it was 20 degrees F.
Old 11-09-19, 09:04 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Use scissors to cut open a nice big breathing hole
Old 11-09-19, 09:28 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
I've stopped covering my mouth in all but the coldest of weather, meaning at least below 0°F. I used to try to keep covered when the weather got chilly, because i would develop 'skiers hack' and would be coughing for hours after a ride breathing the cool, drier air. I have since discovered that if i just ride with my face uncovered, after one or two rides in cool weather conditions, my body seems to acclimate and i no longer have trouble with the coughing after rides for the entirety of the winter. Keep in mind, i ride every day, all winter long, so this might not work for somebody who only rides in these conditions occasionally. I can ride comfortably with my non-bearded face exposed, skull cap under my helmet, standard riding glasses (not goggles), and softshell jacket down to about 5 or 10°F, depending on wind. Below that, i usually throw on a fleece neck gaiter, & goggles for the eyes. The balaclava only comes out in the coldest conditions (maybe -5 and below) and in those temps, the nose and mouth coverings freeze solid from the moisture in my exhale breath almost instantly, but will still keep you from getting frostbitten from the extreme cold (tested down to about -30 below last winter with wind chills around -50)
Old 11-10-19, 07:21 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
What about frostbite from riding in cold weather?
Old 11-10-19, 07:42 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by alloo
Learn to get out (pain-discolor) of the cold before first stages,chillbliss.+1 for balaclavas,there are some with a flap over the mouth to make breathing easier.riding in the elements is better than riding on a trainer most anyday,just prepare.
Old 11-10-19, 04:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Hands and feet are the most important to protect from frostbite. You need a proper insulated winter boots with wool socks. For hands I use gloves with mittens over it and it works well down to the coldest temps.
You need to be aware and make sure that you can feel your hands and feet and that you don't loose feeling and get numbness for too long. Awareness of how your body feels is just as important as proper clothing.
Old 11-11-19, 07:43 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
I wore a Balaclava over my head and mouth today when I rode. The area on the device at the mouth is not an opening but a netted material..It caused so much moisture to build up that my whole lower face and jaw was covered in moisture from breathing. What recommendations does anyone have for covering their mouths in really cold weather This morning it was 20 degrees F.

I have a few Balaclava`s made of different materials. Some build up moisture more then others.

I`ve gotten in the habit of pulling it up and down during the ride to stop moisture build up, but I think you`ll always have some.

One like this might help.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 11-12-19, 10:10 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by mdadams1
I have developed the habit of pushing my lips out (think "Donald Trump" ) as I exhale. This channels my breath through a small area of the balaclava, and little moisture condensation results. It's a little weird and took a day or two to get used to, but it works.
8 degrees F. this morning.
Old 11-13-19, 12:16 AM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
In my experience, you dont have to worry about this on your face until very cold temperatures....like below 0F cold. We are dealing with a cold snap in my neck of the woods, and the temp was hovering just above zero when i rode to work this morning. I had a skullcap to cover my ears, normal clear safety type riding glasses (not goggles), and a fleece neck gaiter (which did not get pulled up past my chin today), and i was quite comfortable. There is a lot of bloodflow in the cheeks & nose area, and unless you are taking some long, fast descents in your riding, you shouldn't need to worry about frostbite until the temperatures really start to dip.
Now the fingers and toes are another matter all together!