Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need recommendation- Diamondback bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-14, 06:57 PM
bjnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, new to biking. I want to get a good, basic bike just for running around, getting some exercise, etc. Not going to be a serious bike person, just want to enjoy riding around, maybe explore a trail or two. One local shop sells Diamondback bikes that look good, and I read just a little online and know that some get good reviews. I don't know the exact model number of the bike I looked at the other day, but it was a hybrid for about $330. Looked really solid, but then, I don't know diddly about bikes.

I want some advice: mostly I'll be riding on street, but occasionally it would be nice to be able to get out on a dirt trail...nothing real challenging or technical, nothing serious, just some dirt, etc. I know I can't subject a standard road bike to such abuse, so I figured a hybrid would be a good choice. I also have no intention of going out on some rough trail that I'm not equipped or prepared for.

Can someone give me some advice based on this? Specifically on Diamondback brand, on hybrid vs. road bike pros and cons, trade-offs......?
I know that "you get what you pay for," but I'd rather not spend $600+, and I'd rather not order something online and have to assemble it.....

Thanks!

Last edited by bjnick; 02-16-14 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-16-14, 11:08 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
bjnick, Only one of my daughters had a Diamondback mountain bike and it was stolen. It was well made and I had no complaints.

Very generally:
Hybrids are probably more the class of bicycle you're looking for. Hybrids are a Jack of all Trades, Master of None. This is good when one isn't looking for a particular performance profile from a bike. They're great for their versatility and ruggedness.

Road bikes are basically based on or are racing bicycles. Seldom rode off of pavement by choice.

Brad
Old 02-17-14, 12:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
other than it's a kind of rattle snake with a venomous bite.

Diamond Back, old company, made a brand reputation, then, I think, they sold the brand name .

it happens a lot these days ..

now brands of many names are applied to bike frames by big factories

making a dozen brands each..

who you buy it from , the bike Shop matters more than the name on the frame.

Last edited by fietsbob; 02-17-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-17-14, 02:15 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are ok, no brand name recognition, and if you buy online and assemble it yourself, you are **** out of luck if you need warranty support of any kind.
Old 02-17-14, 02:42 PM
BruceHankins

Bikes: Shogun 400 ('83), Kuwahara Newport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had a diamondback bmx in the early 90s when they were very popular and a well respected brand. Held onto it till 2007ish when it got stolen. Very durable and dependable.
Old 02-17-14, 02:59 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Diamondback Edgewood to work everyday. About 5000 miles since May 2012.
My only problems have been with tires/flats.
Old 02-17-14, 03:03 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For your type of riding, that hybrid Diamondback would work just fine.
Old 02-17-14, 05:57 PM
Fastfingaz

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts
I have a diamondback sorrento, have for a few years now, I think the bike is good, mine has front shocks, a little spongy but thats OK, for what you want to do, get it ,,If it's got the same quality as mine it'll be good for you!!!MHO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 02-17-14, 11:39 PM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bjnick
Can someone give me some advice based on this? Specifically on Diamondback brand, on hybrid vs. road bike pros and cons, trade-offs......?
When I was a kid, more specifically in the 1980s, Diamondback BMX bikes had an above-average reputation around the elementary school. They weren't top of the heap, but they weren't cheap department store bikes, either. Today, Diamondback (like a lot of bike brands) is just a name owned by a bigger company. As best I can tell, they sell the Diamondback brand into the low-to-midrange price/quality range, which I'd say is where your price point puts you.

As for making comparisons when shopping, I would pay more attention to components than the name on the frame. Mass-produced frames are generally built to a price point by a handful of Chinese/Taiwanese companies. Bikes in the same price range, even from different brands, may have been built from the same materials by the same people in the same factory. To help you differentiate between models, check the shifters, derailleurs, wheel hubs, and the like. The more of them that are made by Shimano, the better. (Shimano's not the only maker, but even their less-expensive stuff is pretty decent quality, and they may be the only "top tier" manufacturer you'll find in your price range.)

And seconding something that's already been mentioned, buying at a bike shop is preferable to buying at a big box store. Odds are much better that a bike shop will assemble and tune the bike properly. Competent assembly will make just about any bike rideable, but careless assembly and tuning can make even the best bike ride downright awful. And besides, most bike shops will offer post-sale adjustment & tuneup support, which comes in really handy if you don't feel comfortable turning your own wrenches.

As for pros & cons of hybrids versus road bikes... Road bikes are built for speed on paved roads. They'll be light, they'll have narrow tires to reduce rolling resistance on pavement, and they'll generally have drop bars (curved handlebars) so you can crouch into a more aerodynamic posture and cut through the wind. They'll almost never have any kind of suspension since the weight penalty and pedaling energy they absorb would outweigh any benefit on pavement. Between the riding posture, comparatively harsh ride, and typically firm saddles, casual recreational riders may find road bikes to be uncomfortable. Hybrids won't generally be as light, which gives hybrids a pricing advantage since lighter components are generally more expensive. Hybrids are also aimed at more casual riders who won't necessarily want to ride fast enough or long enough for aerodynamics to be a big issue, so they'll have straight handlebars for a more upright riding posture. Hybrids will also generally have wider tires and maybe a light duty suspension fork for some offroad or gravel trail use. And they'll typically come with a wider/softer saddle to be comfortable without needing padded shorts.

Last edited by SkyDog75; 02-17-14 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-18-14, 01:01 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
hybrids combine the weakest features of road and mtb
road bike's limited off road ability, mtb's limited speed
only advantage being un upright posture that is befitting someone who is not interested in either of the above areas lacking

cyclocross bike or a domesticated mtb would better combine features
Old 02-19-14, 08:41 PM
nymtber

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a DiamondBack Podium 2 road bike (2012 model). I got it on close out for $625 brand new. I have not really read a bad HONEST review on them, and you won't get anything but positive from me! The wheels are a little lacking, but its a road bike, and I'm a clyde, so I need stronger wheels (building them soon, actually). For anyone under 200lbs, the wheels are fine.

$600 for a bike of any brand is going to get you a LOT more bike. Case in point, my Podium 2 was originally $1050...

But, if you can test ride whatever you looked at, and like it, and the shop includes some free tune ups, might be worth it? WE can't tell you that!
Old 03-01-14, 05:33 PM
bjnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey everybody, I really appreciate all these responses. Great information, makes it easier for me to decide. I think at this point, judging by what people have (mostly) said, I'm going to get the Diamondback hybrid from my local shop. I think it'll be just fine for my purposes. If it turns out that I become an enthusiast and really want to stretch more, I'm sure the need for a higher-level bike will make itself obvious. When I took up a special musical instrument a few years ago, I got one for $300.....when I realized I was serious and that the "beginner model" was woefully inadequate, I quickly moved to purchase a $3000 model. I would do the same with a bike. Thanks again to all of you for your generous advice!