Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best Cities for Commuting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Best Cities for Commuting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-13, 05:58 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anywhere you consider will have both good and bad bike routes. Boulder was one of the worst bike towns I ever lived in, due to the high levels of commuter traffic, occasional helllish winds, and the huge swath of open "green space" separating it from the surrounding communities. Fancy bike trails are only useful if they go where you want to go.
Old 07-24-13, 05:59 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
For me personally I think that the conversation would have stopped at Hawaii.
It doesn't even enter the conversation. You don't want to bike commute here unless you live pretty close to your job. Terrible infrastructure and nuts drivers.

Last edited by bkrownd; 07-24-13 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-25-13, 05:22 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mustridebikes
I'll vote for my former city of Denver, CO, for obvious reasons. Hundreds of miles of bike lanes and trails just within the city proper, and the surrounding metro area are all coming on board with bike infrastructure as well. As a new resident of Wilmington, NC, I'll say that riding in the south is very different, and that infrastructure is virtually non-existent.
Except centennial, where I work. It's got to be the most unfriendly bike area I've seen. You can count the bike lanes in the whole city on one hand. There was one road I used to take with a bike lane that was great, very little traffic, two lane residential road that connected two major roads and a bike trail. Well, all of the sudden they up and REMOVED the bike lane. Why? Because enough local residents complained about it to the city. Let's be clear, there was no valid reason. Never any traffic, bikes were out of the way and didn't impede traffic. When they removed the lanes they didn't add in extra vehicle lanes. It's just the attitude that exists in this wealthy suburb. Makes me kind of upset actually.

Aurora, on the other hand, has a pretty decent set of trails. To be fair Centennial has some nice trails, but also some idiotic things like two trails that are less than a mile apart from each other across a field that they won't connect. I work in maybe the most bike unfriendly area of all of the Denver Metro area.

But there are some GREAT mountain rides and climbs around here, I love living here for that reason.
Old 07-25-13, 05:30 PM
mel2012

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sacramento. Unless you live in the far eastern suburbs, we have no hills to speak of. You can ride all winter long--while there are an average of 60 "days" of rain, there were maybe 10 days last winter where it was actually raining during the morning or evening commute. The heat can occasionally be brutal in the summer, but on the upside we have extremely low humidity. Infrastructure is unfortunately very mixed depending on where you live and work. If you live and work along the American River Parkway you can commute on an exclusive use trail with no stop signs, lights, cars etc. Other bike routes are more spotty.
Old 07-25-13, 08:41 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by MattFoley
I gotta give a shoutout to the DC area, particularly Arlington County. With the exception of a few weeks in the summer and winter the weather is decent, the cycling infrastructure is some of the best you'll find, and there's an extremely active cycling and bike commuting community.

https://www.bicycling.com/ride-maps/f...ashington-dc-0

https://www.bicycling.com/ride-maps/f...3-arlington-va
Gotta come in on this! I live in Falls Church (on Lake Barcroft) and commute through Arlington to the Pentagon rain/shine (no winter yet). Weekends I do a long ride or two, using the well developed paved trail system and sometimes jaunt over into the city. DC is a great urban area for cycling and commuting on a bicycle.
Old 07-26-13, 08:41 AM
kevmk81

Bikes: Trek Allant 9.9s

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anyone know if St Louis is any good for bike commuting?
Old 07-26-13, 09:54 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I think you can make commuting work in just about any city. Although cycling infrastructure is nice, there are other more important factors -- such as job availability in your field, cost of housing (and living), cultural amenities, climate, scenery -- thank make a place livable. My city (Raleigh, NC) has virtually no bike paths or lanes that are usable for commuting and the urban sprawl typical of large metro areas. Yet I have been able to work out a decent commute route that is reasonably safe and free of traffic. I am able to commute year-round, and summer is actually the most difficult season for riding due to heat, humidity and frequent thunderstorms. We have a large network of MUTs but they aren't very convenient for commuting because they are designed for recreation and follow streams, so they don't go where the jobs are unless you get lucky. It's no biggie for me because I am used to riding in traffic and take precautions that make it safe -- such as good lighting, bright clothes.

My observation is that many if not all of the most "livable" cities are very hard to find employment in and/or affordable housing. I have visited many cities where I was tempted to move to because they were so scenic, pleasant and vibrant -- until I checked out the cost of homes and the availability of jobs. Some examples that come to mind are Boulder, CO; Santa Fe, NM; San Diego and San Francisco, CA. There are also cities that are very desirable in many respects but have one or more glaring problems -- such as the winters in Minneapolis, MN; Boston, MA; and Madison, WI and summers in the Southwest and Southeast.

Last edited by tarwheel; 07-26-13 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-26-13, 10:13 AM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I think you can make commuting work in just about any city. Although cycling infrastructure is nice, there are other more important factors -- such as job availability in your field, cost of housing (and living), cultural amenities, climate, scenery -- thank make a place livable.
I kind of agree and disagree all at once. Let's face it, compared to some European nations our cycling infrastructure sucks, even in the best cities. After you move presumably you want to settle down. What happens if you need to change jobs? It could be you are in the best cycling place in the country but you only find a job in the middle of a terribly dangerous and hard to get to office. That definitely exists in the US, by the way. Or even in the worst cities if you find the right home and office location you could have a great commute. I would say it's hard to just pick a city for a good commute without knowing where you'd live and where your office is. If you're really into cycling you might pick a city with great infrastructure or rides for the weekends or evening but just know that commuting is kind of a crapshoot.

I speak from experience, after changing jobs here my office is in one of the most cycling unfriendly places in the area. Having said that, I still commute. I "break the rules" and travel along a wide sidewalk to pass under an interstate along a very busy and fast road. I had to get very creative and increase my commute time in other ways, but I mostly make it work. But I love the weekend climbs in the mountains near Denver.

Last edited by ericcc65; 07-26-13 at 10:13 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 07-26-13, 10:45 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mel2012
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Sacramento.
I'll second this. I recently started commuting from Sacramento to Davis and both places are different "pro-bike commuters" especially Davis. On my 13 mile (each way) commute, I'm always in a clearly defined bike lane or bike path and on any given weekday morning will see anywhere from 10-12 other commuters on their way to and from work.
Old 07-26-13, 03:43 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcc65
Except centennial, where I work. [..snippage..]

Aurora, on the other hand, has a pretty decent set of trails. To be fair Centennial has some nice trails, but also some idiotic things like two trails that are less than a mile apart from each other across a field that they won't connect. I work in maybe the most bike unfriendly area of all of the Denver Metro area.
Denver is very hit-and-miss, but not a surprise in such a large city. I loved living in Park Hill, which was an extremely easy neighborhood to bike and walk in.