Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The commuter thread for the rest of us!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The commuter thread for the rest of us!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-15, 04:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like riding one of my road bikes to work sometimes. I like riding my commuters as well. It just depends. I know in winter, I'm sure as heck riding a bike with fenders, a lighting system, and studded tires.
Old 06-09-15, 05:39 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a couple of older carbon S-works bikes, a Tarmac and a Tricross with full fenders. I also have an aluminum Bianchi that's used for backup. I put lights on whatever bike I'm riding for about 6 months of the year between Oct and Mar. Other than fenders there isn't a big difference between the bikes I ride. I mounted a set of 28mm tires on the cross bike but haven't tried them yet as we haven't had any rain in the the last couple of months. I don't really need wide tires but I thought I would give them a try.
Old 06-09-15, 05:52 PM
Hugh Morris

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wow this thread got smug in a hurry.
I will never understand cyclists having disdain for how other cyclists choose to commute.
Really? For the sake of discussion, would you ever understand disdain for cyclists who choose to commute against traffic and flip the bird to anyone who says anything about it?

and i-like-to-bike is right, this whole topic started on a smug foot.
Old 06-09-15, 06:49 PM
hardboiled718

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
^ I think he was mainly referring to what bike someone chooses to ride. Commuting against traffic or being a general ass isn't associated with one type of bike, it's based on the person.

I will never understand cyclists having disdain for how other cyclists choose to commute.
This. Who cares what you ride as long as you're out riding it. Whether or not it's the best bike for the job is not based solely on technical aspects, some people choose to ride a certain bike because it's more fun for them. I sometimes get jibes for riding my bike because it may not be a traditional commuter but isn't a commuter bike just a bike you ride to work? I'm glad to be out there rain, snow, or shine.
Old 06-09-15, 07:05 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ride the bike you like, the way you like to ride it.
Old 06-09-15, 08:38 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
The "rest of us"? You mean roadies who haven't figured out the advantages of a commuter bike?
I commute on my 18 lb carbon fiber bike so it is *BY DEFINITION* a commuter bike

One less car.
I just bought a car and anyone with a modicum of common sense who rides a bike would want many more people like me to drive cars.
Old 06-09-15, 08:40 PM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrownd
Ride the bike you like, the way you like to ride it.
This is the appropriate way to end ~70% of comment threads here.
Old 06-09-15, 11:24 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Fairweather commuter? Hardly. Here is the winter ride.

And yes, that was a ride home and no there is nothing holding the bike up other than the snow that was still coming down and it was a foot deep in most places. No panniers, no racks, just fattie goodness that is slow and wide.
Old 06-10-15, 06:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by spare_wheel
I just bought a car and anyone with a modicum of common sense who rides a bike would want many more people like me to drive cars.
Why is that? Are you something special like the OP and "the rest of us"?
Old 06-10-15, 06:51 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5790 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
This is where the rest of us go. The commuters who don't run fenders or racks, no panniers, no Dynamo hubs, no milk crates bungeed onto a DIY fender made from recycled milk jugs, no high viz green safety vests, no internally geared hubs, etc. We may not ride the most conventional bikes or have the most conventional ideas, but we ride to work. We use backpacks, messenger backs, laptop bags, and we almost always have a sweaty back. Join us!!!.....
Good try!

It seems that the "real" commuters out there don't get your intent, or insist of telling us we're doing it wrong.

Like you I ride bare bones sport bikes (one road bike, one converted rigid mtn bike) and carry very little, ranging from a thumb drive to a messenger bag if I'm planning on doing some shopping on the way home.

One blessing of riding light fast bikes is that I can do my 6 miles in going to work, and enjoy a nice evening ride ranging up to 40 miles coming home, depending on whim and weather.

So, despite riding to work and back daily just about year round, I'm not a real commuter, just a cyclist who chooses to commute by bike.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-10-15 at 07:32 AM.
Old 06-10-15, 06:59 AM
highrpm

Bikes: Huffy Sienna Cruiser

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was planning to ride my old beater bike to work through the winter months last year. I bought some cheap fenders in preparation. After the first few rides to work in 30 degree weather, I realized that I wasn't having any fun. My hands were freezing despite wearing gloves. The more I thought about it, a 10 mile ride in the Michigan snow and cold just didn't seem like fun to me.

That was the turning point where I admitted to myself that I am a fair weather cyclist for now. This is also the reason that I didn't add fenders or a rack to my new bike. I ride with a backpack and enjoy how light my bike feels under me as I ride.
Old 06-10-15, 08:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh Morris
Really? For the sake of discussion, would you ever understand disdain for cyclists who choose to commute against traffic and flip the bird to anyone who says anything about it?

Of course I would understand disdain for commuting against traffic and tossing up their middle finger to any who complain.

But that isn't in any way relevant to the thread topic or to my previous post.
Old 06-10-15, 08:40 AM
Hub Spanner

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, 2014 Raleigh Sojourn, et al

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There is no "rest of us." There is just "us." It is a huge tent, with room for all.
Old 06-10-15, 08:41 AM
TenSpeedV2

Nothing smug about it. Not everyone that commutes has to have fenders, panniers, IGH, etc. Some of us choose to go bare bones and enjoy it just as much. I don't look like a commuter nor do I want to. I just want to ride my bike.
Old 06-10-15, 09:12 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

What's smug in any kind of way about trying to start a thread dedicated to people who choose to ride light? Nothing was said negative about people who don't.

Meanwhile the "real" commuters like you had no problem being derogatory about the light riders here, and trying to set them (us?) right.

It's a bicycle, you turn the pedals to make it go. If you do so, you're a bicycle rider. If you do so, to get to work or school and back you're a bicycle commuter. There is no right way or wrong way, it's simply about turning pedals to get to work.

I can't see any reason to put people down or offer suggestions of better ways unless asked.

The thread was started to celebrate light commuting. If that's not your cup of tea, that's OK, don't post here.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 06-10-15, 09:15 AM
spare_wheel

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why is that? Are you something special like the OP and "the rest of us"?
I drive with the extreme caution that a dangerous machine merits and, when doing so, I do not pollute the environment or harm human health.

Last edited by spare_wheel; 06-10-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 09:29 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
AKA fair-weather commuters. They come out in droves on the first nice spring day and hibernate at the first sign of cooler weather. Too wet, too cold, too hot, too windy, and they mysteriously vanish.
Fenders aren't going to magically make people want to ride when it is cold. Nor are dynamos, panniers, IGH or any of a number of other items. People don't ride in the winter because they think it's too cold. For some, it is.

I have 8 bikes that I can commute on (and have commuted on each one). None of them fit the mold of "commuter" bike that some feel is "necessary" for commuting. I don't always agree with spare wheel but if I'm riding it to work, it's a commuter bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-10-15, 09:33 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by highrpm
I admitted to myself that I am a fair weather cyclist for now. This is also the reason that I didn't add fenders or a rack to my new bike.
Now this is what I'm talking about. Someone who is not pretending.
Old 06-10-15, 09:51 AM
Brennan

Bikes: Surly X√, Trek Earl

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
A stripped-down, lightweight bike can be a better option for some commutes. I'm thinking of people who commute with a combination of bike and transit. Most subway stations won't allow bikes on the escalators, so you either have to use the elevator (limited/slow) or carry the bike up long flights of stairs. I know what kind of bike I'd rather use in that situation.
Old 06-10-15, 09:59 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have a track bike set up almost identical to yours (I use bullhorns on the road), which I usually use on the track. I do commute on it sometimes just for fun, although 23mm tires are not my first choice for a commute.

49x15? Seriously? I that is my track gear which gets me 30mph at 100rpm. On the road I use 49x18. That gives me a cruising speed of about 21mph at 100rpm. I'm going to suggest that your acceleration, braking, and average time to work will be much better with lower gearing.

But the fast bike for me commuting is a 1990's steel Specialized race bike (aka American Flyers). The track bike really doesn't like cracks in the pavement.

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
This is where the rest of us go. The commuters who don't run fenders or racks, no panniers, no Dynamo hubs, no milk crates bungeed onto a DIY fender made from recycled milk jugs, no high viz green safety vests, no internally geared hubs, etc. We may not ride the most conventional bikes or have the most conventional ideas, but we ride to work. We use backpacks, messenger backs, laptop bags, and we almost always have a sweaty back. Join us!!!

Post up your ride and how you ride it.

My commute is a 17 mile round trip mix of MUP's, bike lanes and actual roads where I take the lane. I ride a fixed gear track bike that is a 49:15. I am not afraid to take the lane and own my spot on the road. I use bike lanes when they are available. I wear a helmet and run a rear blinker 24/7, and a front light at night for the ride home

My current favorite ride which I will be riding in today very shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jamis.jpg (85.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 06-10-15, 10:57 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
49x15? Seriously? I that is my track gear which gets me 30mph at 100rpm. On the road I use 49x18. That gives me a cruising speed of about 21mph at 100rpm. I'm going to suggest that your acceleration, braking, and average time to work will be much better with lower gearing.
I wasn't going to "go there" in this thread, but totally agree. 72" is faster off the line than 86", and won't hold you back unless you need to spend a lot of time on the other side of 25 MPH or so.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-10-15, 11:08 AM
Hugh Morris

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Consider my 'smug' comment retracted then; it's funny how easily people misinterpret or project tone onto forum posts. Myself and a lot of y'all included.

Of course I would understand disdain for commuting against traffic and tossing up their middle finger to any who complain.

But that isn't in any way relevant to the thread topic or to my previous post.
but that's how some people choose to commute! And so directly relevant to your previous post, which stated you can't understand disdain for how some people choose to commute. My point is that everyone draws the line somewhere, everyone can get put off by something another cyclists does. Relevant to the thread, it's hilarious when it's over something as trivial as equipment choices.

@FBinNY - when did I call myself a real commuter, put anyone down, or try to 'set [anyone] straight'? You think I'm against this thread? I very fondly reminisced on my days of commuting via brakeless bmx bike. i think that's very much in the spirit of the thread, unless it aims to be roadie specific.
Old 06-10-15, 11:13 AM
TenSpeedV2

Originally Posted by chas58
I have a track bike set up almost identical to yours (I use bullhorns on the road), which I usually use on the track. I do commute on it sometimes just for fun, although 23mm tires are not my first choice for a commute.

But the fast bike for me commuting is a 1990's steel Specialized race bike (aka American Flyers). The track bike really doesn't like cracks in the pavement.
Heck yeah 49:15. I took all the parts off of this, and that is what came stock on there.

Old 06-10-15, 11:43 AM
FBinNY 

Consider my 'smug' comment retracted then; it's funny how easily people misinterpret or project tone onto forum posts. Myself and a lot of y'all included.

@FBinNY - when did I call myself a real commuter, put anyone down, or try to 'set [anyone] straight'? You think I'm against this thread? I very fondly reminisced on my days of commuting via brakeless bmx bike. i think that's very much in the spirit of the thread, unless it aims to be roadie specific.
My comments about the attitude of some of the folks here wasn't directed at you in particular. I only quoted your statement that said ILTD was right and the thread was smug from the get go, which was IMO an unfair characterization.

BTW- I never understood why people had to choose sides or be for or against anything (please no strawman arguments based on a broad reading of "anything"). We're here to talk about bikes, ostensibly because we enjoy riding them, and for some, maybe because they don't have a choice. As someone posted it's a big tent, we all ride for our own reasons and according to our own preferences, and there's no reason to think that any way is better than another.

If someone asks for help or advice, we should offer it, but that shouldn't include license to step in to "correct" people who are happy doing it differently. As we used to say on the streets in the Bronx "if you can't say something nice, STFU".

Last edited by FBinNY; 06-10-15 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-10-15, 11:47 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
I tried to go bare bones but the police said I had to wear shorts...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.