Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How long should Gatorskins last?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How long should Gatorskins last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-11, 10:24 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
All tires square off. They still work fine when square.
However, tires do become less reliable with wear. Not only is the outer layer thinner and more prone to flat, but often the sidewalls will begin to show some minor damage too.

Getting 3000 miles out of a rear and 4000 miles from the front is good enough for me.

Why use a tire that is well past its prime? $40 to 55 for a fresh tire is affordable.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 11-16-11, 10:26 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sqharaway
I don't know if that figure is quote right? I've heard the front brake has twice the stopping power, which would make it 66% of total braking power.
It depends on the rider and how hard you're braking. As you brake hard weight goes forward. The rider can resist some of that force and keep weight rearward, but the limit for braking will be when your weight transfer lifts the rear tire off the ground.

On dry tarmac, you absolutely cannot lock up the front tire on a road bike without first lifting the rear in the air. It won't happen.

In rain, gravel, etc this is a different story.

I stick to my first post-- check Sheldon Brown's site for affirmation. Don't touch the rear brake on dry pavement. You don't need it and as the OP noted you can skid all the tread off a section of your rear tire in a single incident. This is not a BMX tire.
Old 02-09-20, 09:10 AM
Olie J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=mm718;13497073]I am new to road biking and could use some direction on tires. I picked up some Gatorskins a couple of months ago and I've had 4 flats in 1200 miles. Today, I noticed that there is about a 1.5 inch piece of tread missing on my rear tire. (Right down to the Kevlar or whatever that next layer is). I have skidded a few times but it's not something I am in the habit of doing...

Should Gatorskins last longer than this? What do you make of the missing tread? Shouldn't I be doing a little better as far as punctures? Should I move on to another brand or give Gatorskins another shot? Thanks.[/QUOT

3000 miles

Use thornproof tubes
Old 02-09-20, 09:34 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
3500 on the rear, maybe 5000ish on the front. This is on the Gator Hardshells.
Old 02-09-20, 09:43 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
The OP asked started the thread 11/15/11, so he probably figured it out by now.