Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Explain to me again what's wrong with V-brakes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-18, 08:13 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So I wanted to get an adventure bike (think 40+mm tire clearance, slack geometry, disc brakes, higher stack) brother to my CAAD12. But they are rather expensive and I'm not sure how good the adventure trails are around where I now live.

So I converted a hybrid I had as a psuedo adventure bike. It doesn't have the high stack and it has v-brakes which allow clearances for 40+mm tires.

I was shocked how good the v-brakes were.

On a side note. Nothing beats 35mm tires for road buzz absorption!
They were $15 Shimano Acera brakes (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025TWGX8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so quite inexpensive. They stopped on a dime with no squeaking or squealing. The stopping power was equivalent to my 5800 brakes.

So what were the problems with v-brakes? Modulation and performance in the wet? My 5800 brakes aren't amazing at modulation but do a reasonable job of stopping in the wet.

Last edited by raria; 08-26-18 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 08:32 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
They represent an astounding improvement over canti brakes, but I think C&V people dislike them because they didn't come out until 2000 or so.
Old 08-26-18, 08:54 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
According to Sheldon Brown, these brakes requre levers with a different pull ratio to work properly. I'm not sure any road bike levers are made to work with these then. So, parts commonality probably drives this.

Plus, with good pads, cantis and dual pivot brakes are more than capable of locking up the wheels or sending you over the bars, so more braking power really isn't going to help.
Old 08-26-18, 09:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
You do need the right levers for them to work right, linear pull I believe. That can be frustrating because i don't know of any linear pull road bike, drop bar levers.
Old 08-26-18, 09:10 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
They came out in '96. The first day my bike shop in Hawaii had them I got a set of XTR's and put them on my MTB which obviously had canti's. I was stunned at how powerful they were. And stupid easy to set up. I still love them. I always hoped they would start coming on road race bikes, I like them better than calipers.
Old 08-26-18, 09:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 1,373 Posts
V brakes were a huge improvement over cantilever because they didn’t require a cable stop that moved along with the swing arm of a MTB. It’s nice that they work really well too. They are long cable pull because the arms need to be tall enough to clear a balloon tire plus maybe a fender. I have some of the short ones that work with road levers on my XR800 because the cantis interfered with the kid seat. They’re also lovely.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-26-18 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-26-18, 09:41 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I've always wondered why they call it a "V"-brake, when it looks more like an "h"?
Old 08-26-18, 10:56 AM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
I'm running TRP 9s V brakes on a cross bike with Campy road brifters. These brakes are incredible - better than all of the mechanical discs I've tried.

Downside: you'll be running the pads close to the rims, so you need to keep your rims true.
Old 08-26-18, 01:30 PM
Caliper

Originally Posted by Lazyass
always hoped they would start coming on road race bikes, I like them better than calipers.
V brakes aren't aero enough. They force the cable housing to come out at right angles to the frame. They also may need a stronger stay because the attachment point of the lever arms is being pushed outward with a fair amount of force.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I've always wondered why they call it a "V"-brake, when it looks more like an "h"?
Sheldon Brown called then U brakes. V may sound cooler than either U or H though.
Old 08-26-18, 02:18 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
V brakes aren't aero enough.
I know but I still wish it would have happened. The negative aero effect wouldn't affect 99% of cyclists.
Old 08-26-18, 03:13 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,842 Posts
The aren't cool.

Pretty much.

Purists can argue for rim brakes, modernists can fight for discs ... there is no "V-Brake" clique.

Oh, you mean the actual hardware and whether they work or not?

Nothing wrong with V-brakes ... except the people who hate everything everyone else has.
Old 08-26-18, 04:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3899 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,391 Posts
V-brakes are great. They stop our tandem just fine. In fact, many tandems used them before disc brakes were adopted. They work perfectly with all road levers if one adds Travel Agents: https://problemsolversbike.com/produ..._agents_-_6416

They fit right into the V-brakes and are very solid. Cable changes are a bit of a PITA, but not all that bad.
Old 08-26-18, 04:56 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,878 Times in 3,166 Posts
Replaced a set of cantis with direct pulls on a commuting bike. They were, as expected, worlds better at stopping the bike, but the clearances were so tiny that even a bit of rain grit on the rims caused a rub. The set I had were recalled, so I went back to the cantis.
Old 08-26-18, 04:57 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by raria
So I wanted to get an adventure bike (think 40+mm tire clearance, slack geometry, disc brakes, higher stack) brother to my CAAD12. But they are rather expensive and I'm not sure how good the adventure trails are around where I now live.

So I converted a hybrid I had as a psuedo adventure bike. It doesn't have the high stack and it has v-brakes which allow clearances for 40+mm tires.

I was shocked how good the v-brakes were.

On a side note. Nothing beats 35mm tires for road buzz absorption!
They were $15 Shimano Acera brakes (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) so quite inexpensive. They stopped on a dime with no squeaking or squealing. The stopping power was equivalent to my 5800 brakes.

So what were the problems with v-brakes? Modulation and performance in the wet? My 5800 brakes aren't amazing at modulation but do a reasonable job of stopping in the wet.
If they work for you, why should anyone convince you otherwise??? And why would you want anyone to explain what's wrong?
Old 08-26-18, 05:38 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
The aren't cool.

Pretty much.

Purists can argue for rim brakes, modernists can fight for discs ... there is no "V-Brake" clique.
Yep, they are ugly as sin. And I am skeptical that they necessarily are able to stop any better than any other rim brake.

But they are very simple to set up and adjust, and they do work well.
Old 08-26-18, 05:54 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,488 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
If they work for you, why should anyone convince you otherwise??? And why would you want anyone to explain what's wrong?
As I understood his question, he was more asking, Why doesn't anyone else seem to like these brakes? Everyone dismisses them, and focuses on disc or rim (multiple-multipage silly threads)? Am I missing something? Am I the only one who found the only working set in the universe? it seems odd to me--any thoughts?"
Old 08-26-18, 06:03 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tektro makes road levers with long pull for v-brakes. They work well and are cheap.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Tektro...or-Linear-Pull
Old 08-26-18, 07:51 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
They are ugly brakes with ugly cable routing, more prone to juddering, self centring action isn't that great, require minimal pad/rim clearance.
Yes you can make them work well, but normal callipers are just better if you don't need the tyre clearance, and if you do they lose out to discs.

Last edited by Dean V; 08-26-18 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 08:15 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
People seem to assume that if most people don’t use a certain type of brake any more, there must be something wrong with it. Take center pull brakes for example. Between really prolific knockoffs that were simply poorly made, and that they are a lot more work to set up than calipers, they got a bad reputation. I have a set of the Compass centerpulls and they are awesome. Same with cantilevers: there were many poorly made ones, and they are as hard to set up as centerpulls. But once done, they work great.

I had a road frame built once specifically to use those cyclocross V-brakes, because I wanted more brake power (I weigh 220# lean). My biggest complaint about V-brakes was that they were very powerful initially, but pulling harder didn’t seem to slow any faster. My levers often hit the bars, even with the correct cable pull. Canties seem a little more linear, but with less initial bite. But if they work, they work, and in a ride or two, the ramp rate is lost in muscle memory anyway.

My favorite brake ever, way over hydraulic disks? Paul moto-BMX cantis, frame built for 26” wheels, but with 700c wheels installed. The cable pull matched the road levers perfectly, and the feel was firm, linear, and powerful.
Old 08-26-18, 09:24 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
I always thought V-brakes were rim brakes?
Old 08-26-18, 10:08 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I'm running TRP 9s V brakes on a cross bike with Campy road brifters. These brakes are incredible - better than all of the mechanical discs I've tried.

Downside: you'll be running the pads close to the rims, so you need to keep your rims true.
I am runnning Tektro RX5s which have 85mm arms with Campy shifters on my gravel/cross bike and they brake like champs.
Old 08-27-18, 07:47 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by catgita
People seem to assume that if most people don’t use a certain type of brake any more, there must be something wrong with it. Take center pull brakes for example. Between really prolific knockoffs that were simply poorly made, and that they are a lot more work to set up than calipers, they got a bad reputation. I have a set of the Compass centerpulls and they are awesome. Same with cantilevers: there were many poorly made ones, and they are as hard to set up as centerpulls. But once done, they work great.

I had a road frame built once specifically to use those cyclocross V-brakes, because I wanted more brake power (I weigh 220# lean). My biggest complaint about V-brakes was that they were very powerful initially, but pulling harder didn’t seem to slow any faster. My levers often hit the bars, even with the correct cable pull. Canties seem a little more linear, but with less initial bite. But if they work, they work, and in a ride or two, the ramp rate is lost in muscle memory anyway.

My favorite brake ever, way over hydraulic disks? Paul moto-BMX cantis, frame built for 26” wheels, but with 700c wheels installed. The cable pull matched the road levers perfectly, and the feel was firm, linear, and powerful.
99% of the time, there was something wrong with whatever we don't use anymore, but sometimes it isn't something we are aware of so much. Production costs vs benefit and other integration issues often kill an otherwise competitive invention, or it just doesn't provide enough of a gain to justify the switch.

The problem here is that a lot of cable pull is needed due to the lever ratio of the V brakes. That lever ratio makes the wheel end of the braking system quite powerful, but requires a large amount of cable pull. But, you only have so much reach for your hands from the bars to pull that cable. So, long pull levers fix the cable pull issue, but then decrease your mechanical advantage at the lever, basically canceling out the advantage of the brake setup. Shorter pull brake levers can be used, but then you are either running out of lever travel and the levers hit the bars or having to run the pads very close to the rim, causing other issues. So, you can run special brake levers and have parts that aren't compatible with any other brake levers out there, or run standard levers and have a finicky setup. Really, I'd say disc brakes came along and killed the idea of V brakes. Cantis are compatible with decades worth of vintage bikes, brake levers and spare parts the world over and provide enough power to lock the wheels so why pursue a new type of rim brake when all the cool kids want disc anyways?

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
I always thought V-brakes were rim brakes?
They are. Just another way to skin the proverbial cat.
Old 08-27-18, 11:09 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks.

Glad to hear so many people love them.

The only two downsides I heard were:
i) Aren't compatible with STIs
ii) Need to be run very close to rim.

For i) I thought the mini v-brake solved that problem.
For ii) I run mine at 1cm from the rim and they work great. But I don't have mini v-brakes and I do have regular MTB brakes.

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer

Originally Posted by jitteringjr

I am runnning Tektro RX5s which have 85mm arms with Campy shifters on my gravel/cross bike and they brake like champs.
Originally Posted by CO_Steve
Tektro makes road levers with long pull for v-brakes. They work well and are cheap.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Tektro...or-Linear-Pull
Originally Posted by Lazyass
They came out in '96. The first day my bike shop in Hawaii had them I got a set of XTR's and put them on my MTB which obviously had canti's. I was stunned at how powerful they were. And stupid easy to set up. I still love them. I always hoped they would start coming on road race bikes, I like them better than calipers.
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Replaced a set of cantis with direct pulls on a commuting bike. They were, as expected, worlds better at stopping the bike, but the clearances were so tiny that even a bit of rain grit on the rims caused a rub. The set I had were recalled, so I went back to the cantis.
Old 08-27-18, 11:22 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,878 Times in 3,166 Posts
I think some of my clearance problem was due to the fact that the set I had were hard (perhaps impossible) to center—mismatched springs or something.
Old 08-27-18, 12:15 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1374 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr

Thanks. My TRPs have 90mm arms, hence the powerful braking; but I have to run the pads very close to the rims. I may try the shorter arms on the RX5s.

Brakes are very simple machines. The longer the leverage of the brake arm, the greater the braking power, at the expense of greater lever travel and having to run the pads close to the rims. So it is a compromise.

I did a measurement of some XTR V-brakes, and the arms are 100mm. These are very powerful brakes, and extremely well made. The best rim brakes I've ever used were Magura hydraulics, except for the times they lost their fluid on some epic descent, and as the bike started to run away, I had to bail or face inevitable death.

Digging through my brake parts stash, I discovered a 20-pound bag of new Tektro 'Mini-V's with 80mm arms. I'm always finding new stuff. I will try these with Campagnolo levers as well. This may be the best balance between mechanical power and rim clearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.