Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter Gloves .....

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter Gloves .....

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-18, 11:20 AM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Winter Gloves .....

Which gloves would you recommend for very cold temperatures .... warm down to at least Zero degrees F. ?

My fingers got frostbite this morning !!!

I cycle around 20mph, with morning temperatures in the low-mid 20s F.
Old 11-15-18, 11:54 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Not gloves - mittens! I use "chopper mitts" (deerskin wood chopping mittens with liner mittens inside. Been using that combo for 50 years. It works. 40 years ago I rode the 12 miles to work one week with -5F at the house every morning when I left. Now, at 65 yo, my hands would not be able to take that combo for that ride. I would probably re-install my fairing. That would allow those mitts easily. (The rest of my body is having the same issues. I'm also having to turn up the house heat and/or wear thermals just to get by. As they say, the only thing worse than getting old is the alternative.)

But to get back to those mittens - chopper mitts do rule! Buy the largest size you can get, I get XXL. The leather is so soft and grippy that,while you cannot use some of your split finger summer positions, other positions open up that would be too hard with the slippage in the summer. I can't tell you anything about operating brifters with those mitts as I have never run them. DTs are easy. Most of my winter riding is done on fix gears anyway. Another huge plus of the choppers is that taking them on and off is easy. So easy you can pull one riding to reach into a pocket, then pull it back on. And with you fingers together, they will warm back up after being seriously cold after you repair a flat.

Google "chopper mitts". As far as I know, all the hits will be for the same mitts; at radically different prices. Dress the leather once a year with Snowseal and they will last a long time. REI has some good inner mitts.

Ben
Old 11-15-18, 01:44 PM
vja4Him
GadgetJim57

Bikes: Yuba Sweet Curry eBike, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Chopper Mitts

I

Would these chopper mitts be good for zero degree F. weather ?
Old 11-15-18, 03:02 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
My warmest cycling gloves are Giro 100 Proof lobster gloves. They work well enough with brifters, etc. Built-in pocket for hand warmers.
Old 11-15-18, 04:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Frozen in Fresno? Look for Bar Mitts
then your gloves dont have to both, block the air (DIY wind chill @ 20mph) and keep them hands warm..
Old 11-16-18, 05:30 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I use trigger mitts. Army surplus inside leather trigger mitts shell. You maintain some manual dexterity with the index finger when you lock and unlock your bike while keeping the gloves on.
Old 11-16-18, 10:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Swany

https://www.swanyamerica.com/gloves/mens/

Their gauntlet style gloves or mittens with chemical warmer pockets will be very warm. I prefer gloves over mittens for shifting and braking but that's my preference. Either way, with chemical warmers you won't have a problem.

The X-Change is their most popular. They are very durable. Mine have lasted many years. If you don't want to mess around then the X-Cell is probably their warmest. The X-Alt 3in1 look nice too.

If these aren't enough then get electric heated gloves.

-Tim-
Old 11-19-18, 12:04 PM
crazyravr

Bikes: 1 for road & 1 for gravel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 28 Posts
I am just going to say, skip all the glove advice if your hands get cold easy. I have tried many many gloves and nothing would really work when the temps dropped below 0C.
I finally bought bar mitts. My life changed.
Last night went for a test ride at -3C. All I had was think liner gloves on my hands for just over an hour out and only then I started to get cold. I then put on my PI lobster gloves and one toasty for another hour out with no chill what so ever.
Highly HIGHLY recommend.
Old 11-19-18, 12:45 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
I concur with 79pmooney's suggestion. Of course the style of glove I use depends on the temps I'm riding in. Below 50F down to about 40F...I can get by with fleece gloves. But for temps down into the 20sF...Mittens! As long as the liner is also a mitten and your fingers are all together. "There's strength in numbers." I have the Pearl iZumi lobster glove/mitten. They were very good years ago when I got them. But I too in recent years have experienced numb fingers in the very cold more and more. Finally, last year I grabbed a pair of nylon-windprood-water resistant-long sleeve mittens at the local discount store for just $10.00. For the really cold temps they're better that the lobster gloves, and way better than regular gloves.

Dan
Old 11-19-18, 01:54 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
I'm a big fan of my Dakine gloves. I have the women's version (Sequoia); the men's version, Titan, is basically the same thing.

They come with an insulated shell with Goretex that is water resistant, windproof, and breathable (it's fun when the sweat beads up on the outside) as well as an inner liner. I really don't use the inner liner until it gets down to ~ +15 to +20F, and an additional thin silk liner glove keeps me going as low as it gets here (usually -5 to -10F). It's not perfect, but I can still operate brifters with the gloves - I do winter "road cycling" on a gravel bike on filthy roads.

Before I had these, I had some cheap ATV hand warmers that I used for deep winter. They've been in the basement since I got my new gloves about two years ago.
Old 12-12-18, 02:14 PM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
No matter which suggestion you take , I`d add 100% SILK Glover liners and a heat pack to them. Buy one size larger then you would normally take. Even two size larger. You want plenty of room, with NO constriction of blood flow!

https://wintersilks.blair.com/p/unis...iners/9613.uts

https://hothands.com/
Old 12-13-18, 09:13 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
been using these lately with my barmitts in high 20sF. after about an hour I switch to thinner gloves so maybe these would be good in the same temp w/o the barmitts? anyway, they are legit cycling gloves. I'm using the XXL size & I wouldn't consider any smaller

Pearl Izumi - Ride Men's Elite Softshell Glove