Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rackless packless commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-16, 09:30 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts

Rode today with a Revelate Designs Terrapin bag. The holster part stays attached to the saddle and seatpost, and the bag slides in and out. Previously only used this for bikepacking style touring, but no reason not to use for everyday commuting.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...-bags/Terrapin

Works great as a summer setup, where there is no need for extra capacity to carry morning ride clothes home in the evening. Didn't pack a lunch today, but the bag is only half full, so plenty of room to spare. Nice to remove the rack for a change and go with a lighter and more aero setup. The bag is a waterproof drybag and fairly heavy duty. Backpacks are out of the question for me, especially in the summer.

Old 06-06-16, 10:10 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it, a lot in fact.

I use one of those 'give-away' draw-string backpacks and simply drop it in a trunk-bag.
The same concept, just clunkier with a seat-post rack and trunk bag.
Old 06-06-16, 10:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea. Perhaps something to consider for the future if I ever shed my dependency on my backpack, which also has a fluorescent green + reflective stripes cover for hi-viz.
Old 06-06-16, 10:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7352 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Like the old English saddle bag, made modern.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-16, 11:13 AM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds cool! Looks kind of narrow and round-ish. Would you be able to squeeze a decent sized laptop into that setup? I'm thinking with a laptop, my only likely options are using my rack, or hauling it on my back. And like you, I can't stand hauling stuff on my back, especially in the summer.
Old 06-06-16, 11:24 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by andyprough
Sounds cool! Looks kind of narrow and round-ish. Would you be able to squeeze a decent sized laptop into that setup? I'm thinking with a laptop, my only likely options are using my rack, or hauling it on my back. And like you, I can't stand hauling stuff on my back, especially in the summer.
Not likely to fit a laptop. The drybag is basically a tube that opens on one end with a rolling closure. Just enough room for a change of clothes, other small items, and lunch. The lower or front half of the bag is compressed fairly tightly to keep it from swinging.
Old 06-06-16, 12:03 PM
andyprough

Bikes: Motobecane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Not likely to fit a laptop. The drybag is basically a tube that opens on one end with a rolling closure. Just enough room for a change of clothes, other small items, and lunch. The lower or front half of the bag is compressed fairly tightly to keep it from swinging.
Well, cross that one off the list then!
Old 06-06-16, 12:05 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Why shuttle laptops back and forth to work, anyway?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-06-16, 12:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
My workplace issues me one computer. My home computer is old and decrepit.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-06-16, 12:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Originally Posted by noglider
My workplace issues me one computer. My home computer is old and decrepit.
So you bring yours home for personal use?
RUSA #7498
Old 06-06-16, 12:43 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

So you bring yours home for personal use?
Yup. I work at a college, and it's not against the rules. I save money this way, but the "cost" is a bit of lugging. I usually leave it at work Monday through Thursday nights and bring it home on the weekend. On weeknights, I use my tablet.

Old 06-06-16, 12:45 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Originally Posted by noglider
Yup. I work at a college, and it's not against the rules. I save money this way, but the "cost" is a bit of lugging. I usually leave it at work Monday through Thursday nights and bring it home on the weekend. On weeknights, I use my tablet.
Not judging (I'm technically using my work computer for personal use right now ), but I was curious what reasons people might have.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-06-16, 12:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Not judging (I'm technically using my work computer for personal use right now), but I was curious what reasons people might have.
Yeah, there you go. Sometimes I don't want to carry it, so I choose not to, and I rarely really need to carry it. And when I do, it's not terribly burdensome. It's probably worse on days when I don't ride, because that means I'm wearing a backpack and riding the subway.

Old 06-06-16, 01:28 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I provide after hours support. Only company owned laptops are allowed to use the VPN to communicate with the internal network. Not for technical reasons as much as political and practical.
If I ran things... I'd have a company virtual machine image I could run on a home computer, and that image could access the internal network. I can understand that's a lot of work just so you don't have to haul a laptop back and forth.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 06-06-16, 02:16 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
To work from home the next day.
Old 06-06-16, 02:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by SloButWide
If I ran things... I'd have a company virtual machine image I could run on a home computer, and that image could access the internal network. I can understand that's a lot of work just so you don't have to haul a laptop back and forth.
Actually, it's an excellent idea, and I think it would be worthwhile for the IT department, but who am I to spend their money? IT should have complete control over the VM so they can trust it.

Old 06-06-16, 03:20 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
I've been thinking about getting something like that myself. I've seen where ultra light touring folks use a large version of that type of bag in addition to others. Lately I commute with just a top box type of bag on a way too heavy rack. I'm not a weight weenie but ditching a 6 lbs. rack would be nice.
Old 06-06-16, 03:38 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by takenreasy
I've been thinking about getting something like that myself. I've seen where ultra light touring folks use a large version of that type of bag in addition to others. Lately I commute with just a top box type of bag on a way too heavy rack. I'm not a weight weenie but ditching a 6 lbs. rack would be nice.
You can double the size by not rolling up the bag as much. Also have straps to attach another small drybag to the top. Here is the same setup with the bag at full size, plus other bags for touring.

Old 06-06-16, 04:18 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
You can double the size by not rolling up the bag as much. Also have straps to attach another small drybag to the top. Here is the same setup with the bag at full size, plus other bags for touring.

I dunno, Alan. At this point I might just strap it onto a rack. Or use small panniers.
Old 06-06-16, 04:38 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I dunno, Alan. At this point I might just strap it onto a rack. Or use small panniers.
On that trip, I had two days of riding into 25-30 mph winds in the Florida Keys, and was glad to have a minimal profile. The bike handled surprisingly well. Everything was very secure with little to no movement, giving very predictable cornering and great stability. I anticipated having the weight up high would have an adverse effect, but it didn't. Considering the bulk of the rider's weight is even higher, I guess it makes sense. As set up, that is fully loaded touring, including a 2-person tent, cooking stuff, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. Keeping the weight down by not using racks and panniers worked out great. But I agree, if you are carrying a laptop, winter layers and other stuff for commuting, probably too limited in capacity for most, including me.
Old 06-06-16, 04:39 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rode today with a Revelate Designs Terrapin bag. The holster part stays attached to the saddle and seatpost, and the bag slides in and out. Previously only used this for bikepacking style touring, but no reason not to use for everyday commuting.

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...-bags/Terrapin

Works great as a summer setup, where there is no need for extra capacity to carry morning ride clothes home in the evening. Didn't pack a lunch today, but the bag is only half full, so plenty of room to spare. Nice to remove the rack for a change and go with a lighter and more aero setup. The bag is a waterproof drybag and fairly heavy duty. Backpacks are out of the question for me, especially in the summer.

You sure you don't want a ridiculously overpriced carbon rack so you can commute without the extra "hassle" of an extra pound?
Old 06-06-16, 04:43 PM
alan s 

Originally Posted by corrado33
You sure you don't want a ridiculously overpriced carbon rack so you can commute without the extra "hassle" of an extra pound?
A carbon fiber rack on a steel bike? No, but I do have a CF water bottle cage to save 3 grams.
Old 06-07-16, 08:10 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's no steel bike...that's titanium! How much did the bag end up weighing? I have a carbon seatpost and am concerned it would put stress on it. A carbon fiber rack now...that's genius! Especially if it is a quick release rack so one could take it on and off at will.
Old 06-07-16, 10:05 AM
alan s 

Originally Posted by bmthom.gis
That's no steel bike...that's titanium! How much did the bag end up weighing? I have a carbon seatpost and am concerned it would put stress on it. A carbon fiber rack now...that's genius! Especially if it is a quick release rack so one could take it on and off at will.
Not sure which bike @corrado33 is referring to. In either case, I don't see a CF rack in my future.

As far as weight is concerned, think about how much weight your body puts on the seatpost. An additional 10 pounds or so is not going to break it. All attachments are velcro and nylon straps, which help absorb any shock. The only issue with CF is clamping something to it, which puts all the stresses in a small area. Not generally an issue with bikepacking bags, but a seatpost rack on a CF seatpost or a standard rack clamped to CF seatstays is generally not advisable.
Old 06-07-16, 10:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I think I like the idea of this more than I'd like the reality of it
Genesis 49:16-17

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.