Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Living on a MUP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-19, 12:28 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
Another friend abuts the bikeway, with a far larger back yard, but has put a gate in their back fence, and technically did some landscaping on the "wrong" side of the chain link fence, even putting out a bench for people to sit on. They "just" walk on the bikeway.
I've always appreciated people like that! If I went with this, I'd have to do some landscaping to actually take bikes to the trail (I stopped by and did some quick poking around, no one currently lives in the house and we don;t see it til the weekend) but there didn't seem to be any path built to access it from the house. If I were to build a trail, I'd probably stick a bench out there, or something else nice to mark "mine"

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
My last house was across the street and about a block from a trailhead. To me, that was better than being on it. The houses on the greenbelt cost more, but they have a parade of people looking into the backyard and either the walkers' dogs are barking at the house or the owners' dogs are barking at the walkers.
Ah, dogs are a good point I hadn't considered. We don't own pets, but I don't like others letting theirs run loose.

Originally Posted by Riveting
Living on a MUP (potentially with the homeless), must still be somewhat safer than living on a golf course. I currently live 180-200 yards down the 1st hole fairway, with my back patio being right in the typical "slice zone". No near-misses, yet.... The silver lining is an ever replenishing supply of brand new balls (since it's the first hole, most of these lost balls have only been hit once!)
Heh, there is an option on a golf course I want to consider, but it is about #4 or #5 on the list. I wouldn';t mind a course and a bar and grill in my back yard either, but I can't fathom people chipping out of my backyard!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
The same sort of fear is often the true motivation (although not always voiced) behind opposition to mass transit proposals....
Yeah, that unfortunately goes on here as well.
Old 04-10-19, 01:33 PM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
As long as it's in the back then it's cool. the Razorback Greenway in NW Arkansas runs through a crappy part of town in Springdale, the literally stole 8 feet of a row of houses' front lawn. This makes it miserable for them, their driveways are now too short and it's bad for riders too because they often park ON the MUP. On the other hand thee are uppity neighborhoods around that have houses on or near it, there it's mostly great. I've heard of a few people who still gripe about it, and even the fact the MUP exists.
Old 04-10-19, 02:26 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
I've always appreciated people like that! If I went with this, I'd have to do some landscaping to actually take bikes to the trail (I stopped by and did some quick poking around, no one currently lives in the house and we don;t see it til the weekend) but there didn't seem to be any path built to access it from the house. If I were to build a trail, I'd probably stick a bench out there, or something else nice to mark "mine"
That might be worth some real contemplation - if you've already got some woods as buffer, having to go a block or two out of the way to get on the MUP yourself at an existing entrance might be worthwhile to maintain the privacy.

I have relatives who are across the street from an overgrown unofficial MUP entrance; there's been idle talk of clearing the brush and rebuilding a failed 3-foot creek bridge, but they seem content to go two very low traffic blocks further to get on it and actually for short dog/family walks mostly use the part on the other side of an intersecting street than the part that runs back by them. When they pull the bikes out - one kid now independent, the other on a trailer tandem it's no issue to get to the path in either direction.
Old 04-10-19, 02:58 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Many people objected to a new trail in the 'burbs, in part because they saw it as a way to give "thugs" access to the area. The trail was built anyway. It's now so popular with local residents, many of whom walk it with their dogs, that I won't go near the thing on a bike on nice weekends.
We're in that process too; the city is planning to build a network of trails to connect various parts of the city so folks can get to work and shopping without having to own a car or walk along/across some scary busy roads. The section in process passes by an elementary school, so the NIMBYs immediately started hollering that the trail would be a "homeless highway" and would give pedophiles easy access to our precious children, because of course pedophiles don't know how roads work.

Every time, every time a trail goes in the neighbors holler 'over my dead body!' A couple years later, if you offer to take the trail out, the response is 'over my dead body!' Every single time. It's kind of hilarious.
Old 04-10-19, 03:00 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 917 Posts
Sounds like more positives than negatives

Trail is indeed secluded from the house, even this time of year when the foliage is minimal you can't see it from the back yard. It is an acre and a half narrow lot, all wooded in the back, so not really worried about privacy. Area is generally upper middle class type township housing, somewhere I can run air impact wrenches at 10PM and no one is going to complain, the nearby towns are small and somewhat decent incomewise. No real transient population in this area.

Its currently our 1B option, 1A only winning out because it is significantly cheaper and already refinished inside (albeit with far less land in a proper subdivision), but the bike path seems to be a huge selling point to us.
Heck, if you don't want it, I'll take it!

(Not really, mid-western weather weenie.)
Old 04-10-19, 03:18 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Isn't a near-miss a hit?
no. That’s why missiles have proximity fuses. Otherwise they’d be hittles.

Aerospace humor!
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-10-19, 04:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
if i'm thinking of the right house, it seems like a good location that shouldn't take a dump in the next 5ish years.
Old 04-13-19, 07:54 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
We have a mup a house and street on the other side of that house, away. When we moved here that street was a dirt road with a sizable hump where a stream passed underneath. Now it's a beautifully well lit mup running the length of the street and most of the way down the half mile to the Mississippi. At the other end of our block is a golf course with a decent driving range I used to walk to. These certainly upped the value of the area. At least the snow is melted off the street. A few more days and we should see the lawn again as well. Which, right there, is one reason (of several) I'll be moving from here in the next two-ish years.
Old 04-13-19, 08:11 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Have heard that the risk of colon cancer is slightly higher if you live on a MUP.
Old 05-02-19, 02:18 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Well, we didn't buy the house on the MUP. That said, we bought a house less than a mile down a lightly traveled dirt road from a nice MTB trailhead. Guess I gotta expand my fleet variety and riding style a bit
Old 05-02-19, 02:26 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Anyone here live on a MUP? How do you like the experience overall? We've been house shopping and stumbled on one that checked all of our boxes, with the addition of having a bike path run along the back of the property. At first I thought it would be an awesome bonus, but I'm curious if anyone experiences any drawbacks. The trail itself is separated by decent forest coverage for some privacy, but is there any concern about the public by your lands?
You wanna live on a MUP... come on out to Los Angeles.... it's free!
Old 05-02-19, 02:29 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
It's not how you feel about the trail, but how the market feels when you sell.
Old 05-02-19, 02:54 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Eh, not in Detroit proper, out in basically outskirts farm land, unincorporated township area. It is an abandoned railroad grade. When the last couple links of this are finished over the next few years, it should have 50 or so miles on it that I could go to the east, and ten or so to the west, and it connects to a few other trails. Haven't ridden on this part specifically, but I have ridden other large chunks of the realized route regularly.
I would do it. No cars, no neighbors in your back yard.

If it is near downtown Pontiac - well that is where the homeless live (near the Home depot specifically)
If it is near downtown Rochester - that is like a MUP highway.

Anything else would be great.

Ask for a discount. Every time we try to put in or extend a bike path around here, it gets canceled or postponed because the neighborhood gets up in arms about the idea of people riding a bicycle down their street (really???).

We had 3 sites for velodromes - and the backlash was ape-sh*t against having people on bicycles near by. The funniest one was in an near abandoned area of Detroit. Empty fields, crack houses, liquor stores everywhere (Gratiot in the D). Heaven forbid we put a velodrome in the neighborhood - that would really drive housing prices down and ruin the neighborhood. They were successful in cancelling the planned development.
Old 05-02-19, 03:38 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I thought this was one of those "MUP Gripes 2019"
Old 05-02-19, 06:56 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
We have a total infrastructure in my town, all 300,000 of us live within a quarter mile of an MUP, most live within 200yds of one.

It's called the redway system and I only have to cross the street outside my flat to get on it. I can go anywhere in the city without riding on a road. It's not always ideal for 1in tyres though - it helps to adapt. Road bikes are for roads. They're not popular here at all.
Old 05-03-19, 07:05 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Houses along the main MUPs in our area are very expensive. Recently a cluster of small homes went in on an odd-shaped piece of land next to one MUP and they were priced at about $750k USD. Back in 2001 when I bought my home which is not near a MUP, I tried to buy one near the MUP but it sold for for well over the asking price (and my budget). I long to live in an area where I could conduct most of my daily business by cycling or walking. Being on a MUP that actually goes somewhere would be useful toward that goal. As I look around the country for potential spots to live, I find that many MUP , often rail-trails, go nowhere. They are nice recreational paths but little more.
Old 05-06-19, 01:47 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho
Being on a MUP that actually goes somewhere would be useful toward that goal. As I look around the country for potential spots to live, I find that many MUP , often rail-trails, go nowhere. They are nice recreational paths but little more.
Train tracks have long been associated with less desirable parts of town, so yes, many rail trail rides end up being a tour of industrial lots and the backsides of strip malls. But those are also presumably someone's workplace, and they may run between towns and within a few blocks of housing.

The NYC end of "my" 49 mile MUP has connectivity issues but there are parts further up that go places - saw a high school kid hop off the school bus and start up a section of it for example. Granted that was at Yorktown Heights, somewhat uniquely a spot where it really goes through the center of a village rather than skirts it. It also picks up one town library (former train station), two town pools, one large supermarket, two bike shops and just misses some big box stores.

My recollection of the Minuteman northwest of Boston is of it tying together some nice areas, both the central business area of Arlington and a lot of residential areas further out.

While I'm yet to ride the Farmington Canal trail in CT I know from memory of the area it passes a block behind the main Street in Simsbury and on a map looks to pass through some possible housing areas.

The three trails that meet in Northampton MA go a lot of interesting places including town centers, housing, outside of downtown shopping, etc.

Also I think sometimes it's not immediately clear what a trail goes near unless you look on a map - railroad surveyors threaded between the hills that later uses built on or on the far side of, woods have been allowed to grow back up as privacy screening, and of course interstate highways tend to segregate parcels of land, though trails are often ways over or under them. Catching a ride on the interstate somewhat paralleling my MUP through lower Westchester was eye opening as I saw all the nearby commercial development hidden by the hills and trees.

Last edited by UniChris; 05-06-19 at 01:53 AM.
Old 05-06-19, 05:25 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
The three trails that meet in Northampton MA go a lot of interesting places including town centers, housing, outside of downtown shopping, etc..
I have good friends that live not far off one of the Northampton trails and have bicycled the area several times. As you wrote above, proximity to the MUPs in that area are desirable areas to live due to their linking the college towns along with business districts and even close to strip malls housing big box stores like Wal-Mart. It seems to come closest to the type of area I desire to live in for being able to accomplish a great deal of life via bike or as a pedestrian without being a large city.
Old 05-06-19, 12:20 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
We actually bought in the neighborhood we did because of its proximity to a number of MUPs. Our house itself isn't on the MUP, but the MUP is across the road from our neighborhood entrance. We did look at a house which backed up to the MUP, but didn't buy it for unrelated reasons. The area directly across from our neighborhood entrance is owned by the county, and is part of a multi-hundred acre county park. It's currently being developed as part of the park's master plan, which includes a parking area, a bath house, and an outdoor gym (asphalt loop with exercise stations I presume). Future plans include a few dog parks and other facilities which would supplement the rest of the park, which is a mix of developed areas with ball fields and soccer fields, and undeveloped areas through which a lot of unpaved trails pass, with a fishing lake, etc. The MUP across from our neighborhood connects us to all of that by bicycle, and the continued focus on this county park resource should continue to drive interest in this area (home values).