Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Climbing - Stand vs. Sit (yet again)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Climbing - Stand vs. Sit (yet again)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 10:40 AM
txags92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
Although this isn't the point of my question, this still begs the question "depends on what".

IMHO, this is not well established in the cycling world (as in there in no broadly accepted agreement). But (again IMHO) there should be a broadly accepted agreement as this should be answerable via equipment that is readily available to the more elite cycling teams, equipment manufacturers, etc.

dave
I think you have answered your own question. With the mountains of data available to them, you don't see various teams settling on one thing or the other. What you see is each rider has a different style that suits them. If any team or teams had figured out a "broadly accepted agreement" that one way was better than another, you would see every rider on that team doing it the same way. The fact that you don't see that is strong evidence that the answer you are rejecting (it depends on the individual) is in actuality the "broadly accepted agreement" that you are seeking. If you had a database of rider heights, weights, leg length measurements, power numbers, heart rate numbers, etc. you could probably work out some pattern in why certain methods work for certain riders, but the fact is that a lot of that data is such a closely held secret to the point that you could never build a large enough database for a meaningful comparison.
Old 09-03-14, 10:53 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I don't really stand while climbing on the mountain bike,

but it's got an 18" low gear.

Wait, what was the question?
Old 09-03-14, 11:50 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
Unless you weigh as little as Contador the comparison is not valid. It is amazing how he can stand for miles. His effort in the Dauphine this year was one of the most amazing I have seen. That said, Nibali's seemingly effortless climbing in the Tour this year looked much less exhausting. From a survival standpoint, if you are on a long hilly ride and uncertain of your ability to finish without bonking, sit as much as possible. If you resemble Contador and are confident of your climbing abilities, stand as much as you like. I tend to do both, as they use different muscles, but I have evolved into sitting mostly.
Old 09-03-14, 02:15 PM
Nick94804

Location: A quiet place devoid of nazis telling me how I may express myself

Bikes: An ultra heavily moderated custom Merlin.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ony any grade of a decent distance, I sit and spin, then every half mile I go up a couple or three gears and stand for 100 full revs...and yeah I count, its kind of a mantra. Then I sit and spin, gradually shifting down for the next half mile until its time to stand again...ad infinitum. On reaally steep pitches...I just stand until its done, blowing through my LT and suffering. Its what works for me. YMMV.
Old 09-03-14, 02:43 PM
Cyclosaurus

Bikes: 1993 NOS Mt Shasta Tempest, Motobecane Fantom Cross CX, Dahon Speed D7, Dahon Vector P8, Bullitt Superfly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the right answer is to sit while cycling, except those times when you stand. You can never be wrong if you follow this simple rule.
Old 09-03-14, 02:45 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclosaurus
I think the right answer is to sit while cycling, except those times when you stand. You can never be wrong if you follow this simple rule.
Idiot. As Saint Eddy has taught us, you are to stand when climbing, except when you sit.

He added: Should you feel pain or desperation, HTFU and push harder.

Sheesh...

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Last edited by bbbean; 09-03-14 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 03:03 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with the pro comparisons is they are racing. They want to go as fast as they can but within personal limits of the race. They might be much more efficient sitting but they want to do well.

I know in a race situation I'm much better than most standing and faster than those sitting. So I stand as much as I can because it generated more power and I am conspiracies faster.
Old 09-03-14, 03:24 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
If my cadence drops below ~ 50-60RPM I tend to get out of the saddle. I must be one of those "uses 25% more energy standing vs. sitting" though, because I cannot seem to stand on the peddles for long before HR is through the roof.

Also I tend to stand a bit more when towards the end of a ride, as the back starts to complain. Standing is a good way to stretch things out.
Old 09-03-14, 03:33 PM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by totalnewbie
Could these guys have much more energy reserve (like 25% more reserve) than the others? I don't think so. Could these guys have a different physiological makeup such that the muscles they use standing up don't drain the energy as fast as the wattage difference dictates?
I don't think it's the physiological difference so much as a) they're not riding at their max so they don't fade and b) they train that way and are used to it.
Old 09-03-14, 03:59 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Answer: It depends
It do indeed!

I've been riding the same Hill Country routes for 30 years, what gear ratio will be used whether standing or sitting couldn't be predicted for any pitch up any hill in advance.
I do what feels right, some of this & some of that as required.

Riding a fixed gear on the road does promote a powerful high cadence pedaling style w/ grunt & spin on demand and a calm purposeful out of saddle style if one wishes to improve technique. Old School and very effective.

There is an enormous difference even in amateur racing in attacking/holding-on-desperately on a challenging climb and riding it solo, one does what one must.
To climb well one must climb a lot, there is no substitute. Cycling is not an academic pursuit.

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 09-03-14 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 04:15 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Do what you gotta do to get up and over. Better yet, emulate your favorite pro cyclist. You should hear the things I say to myself when climbing.
Old 09-03-14, 04:24 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
I climb like Pantani did. Usually standing, hands always in the drops. But at a small fraction of his speed.
Old 09-03-14, 04:24 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by txags92
I think you have answered your own question. With the mountains of data available to them, you don't see various teams settling on one thing or the other. What you see is each rider has a different style that suits them. If any team or teams had figured out a "broadly accepted agreement" that one way was better than another, you would see every rider on that team doing it the same way. The fact that you don't see that is strong evidence that the answer you are rejecting (it depends on the individual) is in actuality the "broadly accepted agreement" that you are seeking. If you had a database of rider heights, weights, leg length measurements, power numbers, heart rate numbers, etc. you could probably work out some pattern in why certain methods work for certain riders, but the fact is that a lot of that data is such a closely held secret to the point that you could never build a large enough database for a meaningful comparison.
Re: THE BOLD PART

That is the information that I really did expect to find (and didn't). I was surprised at that. But then again I am an engineer by training, so data and analysis is what I 'run on' (whether it is important or not).

FWIW, despite not being anything near a lightweight (5'10" and 160 to 165 pounds) I seem to just a naturally pop out of the saddle on a regular basis when climbing. And I'll sometimes peddle 10 to 20 straight minutes out of the saddle on my personal spinner bike (where I do a good bit of 'riding') just because.

Maybe I'll design and do a personal experiment someday - I can imagine such an experiment being a great climbing training session. Now that I have typed this - seems like a REALLY good idea.

dave
Old 09-03-14, 04:28 PM
ovoleg