Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ultra light bike packing where to store fuel canister

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 03:20 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I do not bike tour but I do frequently go on overnight bike packing trips with friends. I have done one 4 night trip in South Dakota not too long ago and may have another in the future. I do not use pannier bags or pull behind trailers. I have a rack on the back of my bike and I have frame bags and I use salsa anything cages on my front forks as well as a Revelate Designs harness under my Jones bars. I have always used alcohol stoves of my own creation in the past and everything fit inside my camp pot which all sat neatly on one of my fork legs. But just today I pulled the plug and ordered my first isobutane stove in the form of a Snow Peak giga power stove. I have yet to buy a fuel canister and I’m wondering where do you guys carry fuel canisters when they won’t fit inside your camp cook pot? If I buy a bigger camp pot then it doesn’t fit inside my anything cage very well so I’d like to stick to my smaller Stanley pot that I have been using for the last couple years.
Old 03-29-18, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Alcohol stoves are pretty small & light

got room in your big bike-packing bag behind the saddle?

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-31-18 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-29-18, 03:34 PM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Alcohol stoves are pretty small & light
I know and I like them but just wanted a little more power and reliability. Alcohol stoves are awesome but depending on so many real world factors they get affected badly by wind and other factors. I have had decent luck otherwise. I got to thinking after I posted my question that I could stack the canister on top of my pot and put it all inside a stuff sack to strap to my fork. I never thought of this before I posted but still would be interested to hear about other ways to carry one on your bike.
Old 03-29-18, 03:46 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
SP Giga +1

They've been around for ~23 years in the USA, fuel not terribly hard to find. On the small/light side, there are a number of ~700ml size pots that will hold a Giga + fuel (comes in two sizes, the largest is 4" diameter). Should fit in an Anything Cage.
Old 03-29-18, 03:59 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Hauled MSR's Internationale around.. they burn unleaded pump gas , fuel tank went in that 3rd bottle cage under the downtube..
Old 03-29-18, 04:39 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
Does not need to be packed in your cook kit. Pack it any where you want.

The butane mix type canisters (Snow Peak, MSR, Markhill, Optimus, Primus, Gaz, Jetboil, Etc.) will fit pretty much anywhere you want. Variety of sizes, the smallest one on a cost per gram of fuel basis is pretty expensive, the next larger size (around 220 or 230 grams) is better, but anything bigger than that might not be the best size for bikepacking. In the photo I am using a 450 gram cannister, that is likely twice as big as you would want for bike packing. (I use panniers.)

If you have a highly accurate kitchen scale that measures in grams, weigh the canister when new and mark the weight on it. Then later when you are at home and packing up for another trip, and you wonder how much fuel is left you can weigh it again and see how much you have used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP2670.JPG (362.5 KB, 149 views)
Old 03-29-18, 06:44 PM
trail_monkey

I am thinking the 8 ounce size seems to be the most popular for this stuff. It’s tough to know anything by looking online until you are familiar with what your shopping for (which right now I am not). After I can hold some in my hand and get an idea for how big they are, and use some until empty a few times, I will then know better in the future what size is best for me.

Oh and by the way I have seen that some canisters have marks on them and you can float them in water to see how empty or full they are?

Last edited by trail_monkey; 03-29-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 03-29-18, 07:45 PM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Like seeker333 said, Snow Peak makes a 700ml pot that is designed to hold a 4 oz/100gram cartridge and a GigaPower stove. Drop the canister in with the valve at the bottom of the pot, and there's room for the stove in its plastic case. Snow Peak also makes a 900 ml pot that will hold an 8 oz cartridge. Both pots are titanium, so a good bit more expensive that the OP's Stanley steel pot.

trail monkey, the MSR canisters have the marks on them that you mentioned. JetBoil will sell you a specially calibrated scale so true weight weenies can weigh their canisters and find out exactly how much fuel is left.

The 8 oz canisters seem to hit a sweet spot between cost, bulk and cooking time. Interestingly enough, according to the Snow Peak website, the 8 oz canister will not burn twice as long as the 4 oz cartridge, more like 70% longer. Makes the 16 oz/450 gram cartridge look like less of a bargain.
Old 03-30-18, 04:22 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by markf
Like seeker333 said, Snow Peak makes a 700ml pot that is designed to hold a 4 oz/100gram cartridge and a GigaPower stove. Drop the canister in with the valve at the bottom of the pot, and there's room for the stove in its plastic case. Snow Peak also makes a 900 ml pot that will hold an 8 oz cartridge. Both pots are titanium, so a good bit more expensive that the OP's Stanley steel pot.

trail monkey, the MSR canisters have the marks on them that you mentioned. JetBoil will sell you a specially calibrated scale so true weight weenies can weigh their canisters and find out exactly how much fuel is left.

The 8 oz canisters seem to hit a sweet spot between cost, bulk and cooking time. Interestingly enough, according to the Snow Peak website, the 8 oz canister will not burn twice as long as the 4 oz cartridge, more like 70% longer. Makes the 16 oz/450 gram cartridge look like less of a bargain.
Thats an interesting statement. I am sure there's a reason why double the capacity does not equal double the burn time but I can't think of what it would be can you?
Old 03-30-18, 07:26 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Mine will fit inside my cook pot. I usually wrap it with a paper towel before sitting it in the pot so that it doesn't rattle. That goes inside a mesh bag with my Pocket Rocket stove along with a lighter. Very compact.
Old 03-30-18, 07:38 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Mine will fit inside my cook pot. I usually wrap it with a paper towel before sitting it in the pot so that it doesn't rattle. That goes inside a mesh bag with my Pocket Rocket stove along with a lighter. Very compact.
What is the dimensions of your pot? And are you referring to a four and ounce or 8 ounce fuel canister?
Old 03-30-18, 07:48 AM
WNCGoater

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
What is the dimensions of your pot? And are you referring to a four and ounce or 8 ounce fuel canister?
I'll be glad to measure it tonight when I get home. I actually have two pots they will fit in and the 4 or 8 oz canisters are the same diameter so either will fit. I'll measure this evening and get back to you, maybe add a photo or two.
Old 03-30-18, 07:57 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Snow peak ti pot will hold the canister and burner and fit in the everything bag/anything cage.
Old 03-30-18, 09:56 AM
trail_monkey

I'll be glad to measure it tonight when I get home. I actually have two pots they will fit in and the 4 or 8 oz canisters are the same diameter so either will fit. I'll measure this evening and get back to you, maybe add a photo or two.
Thank you.
Old 03-30-18, 09:58 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by alan s
Snow peak ti pot will hold the canister and burner and fit in the everything bag/anything cage.
Yes I seen a review on that pot. There’s lots of pots that will fit everything. I’m just trying to decide what’s the best for my uses. Some of them pots aren’t huge but at the same time they’re a lot bigger than anything I would probably ever have the need for so why carry all that extra bulk. But in the end, like I said earlier, we’re just gonna have to do some testing and see what works best
Old 03-30-18, 11:26 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thats an interesting statement. I am sure there's a reason why double the capacity does not equal double the burn time but I can't think of what it would be can you?
I've been trying to figure that out too. I know that the gas pressure in the canister has to be higher than atmospheric pressure by enough to push the gas up out of the canister and to the burner. I also know that gas pressure depends on the volume of the container and the amount of gas in the container (PV=nRT, just like they told us in high school chemistry). I suppose if anyone feels like doing the math they could work out exactly what is happening here.

I've done a little research on gas cartridge stoves, and it's been interesting. Turns out that the cheap ($20-$25) gas cartridge stoves aren't nearly as fuel efficient as the better quality ($40 +) stoves like your GigaPower. It also seems that the GigaPower using Snow Peak cartridges is more fuel efficient than the MSR Pocket Rocket with an MSR cartridge.
Old 03-30-18, 12:49 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
...I usually wrap it with a paper towel before sitting it in the pot so that it doesn't rattle...
Yep, paper towels really cut down on trail noise, and are super handy as... paper towels!

Originally Posted by markf
I've been trying to figure that out too... I suppose if anyone feels like doing the math they could work out exactly what is happening here...
Math says the 250 has 178% of the actual fuel capacity of the 110, with a starting weight 174% that of 110. When they're empty (you have to carry out trash when backpacking) they weigh 148 and 88g, respectively. Snow Peak corroborates this 178% fuel difference in stating burn times on high are 85 and 50 minutes, respectively.

I took the igniter off my "auto" Gigapower many years ago, and instead carry a more versatile mini-lighter. I also have a SP windscreen, which does help a wee bit on boil time / fuel conservation, but it's hard to justify adding a 58g windscreen to a 92g stove. You can save more fuel by simply not heating X cups of water to a rolling boil when 212 degree F is not necessary to prepare food - or choosing vermicelli instead of spaghetti for it's shorter cook time.

OP, the pot I linked in #4 will hold either SP fuel (the fatter 250 has a 4.0" OD). If you are diligent, you may find 3 or 4 alternatives to this pricey Ti pot in approximately the same diameter and capacity, at lower cost and perhaps with more features and higher thermal conductivity (Al >> Ti).

https://snowpeak.com/collections/sto...iant=671129241

https://snowpeak.com/collections/sto...iant=671129541

https://snowpeak.com/collections/sto...nt=47116997775

https://snowpeak.com/collections/sto...iant=671126577
Old 03-30-18, 02:00 PM
WNCGoater

Still not home yet.
But , as mentioned above, the canisters will fit into a snowpeak titanium 1 liter size. I used that combo a while, but several years ago ran across an Olicamp XTS from another forum discussion:
https://www.amazon.com/Olicamp-Hard-...licamp+xts+pot

As you can see, it has "heat exchanger" "fins" that supposedly more efficiently utilize the heat from the stove.
This saves time in boiling water, which translates into fuel savings.

I ordered one and I, as well as some others on that forum, did some testing on the pot. I ended up with a 1-2 minute savings on boil times using the XTS over the Snowpeak Titanium. That was with a Pocket Rocket stove. That is a significant savings in fuel consumption!
One person at that time, also bought this pot, but found no time savings. He was using a Snowpeak Giga stove. We decided it must be the side flame holes on the Giga burner, which gives a bit more of a spread flame, as opposed to the top only flame holes on the PR, which directs right onto a more concentrated area.

Anyway, a canister will fit in this pot as well with room to spare.

Here is the thread from the other forum when we were testing this pot with some differing stoves.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...pics/8603507/1

On about page 3-6 of that thread, you'll see us testing. (My user name is Snubbie on that forum) Unfortunately, Photobucket's greed has erased many, many pictures from forums, including that thread.
Old 03-30-18, 04:46 PM
WNCGoater

@Trail monkey
The inside diameter of the 1 liter Olicamp XTS pot is a hair under 4 1/2", maybe 7/16". The diameter of the fuel canister, on the bottom rolled seam is about 4 3/8" So there is a bit of room there that a paper towel will just take up. I assume a Snowpeak Titanium pot is about the same diameter because I carried this all the same way when I used it. The XTS pot shown is 5" tall 1 liter and my SP Ti pot is a 25 oz and 4" tall.
Also, I don't have a Salsa Anything but I do have a Blackburn Outpost and as you can see, it will fit it just fine. Also in the mesh bag I have the Pocket Rocket (red container) and a baggie with a scouring pad.

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2024.jpg

IMG_2025.jpg

Last edited by WNCGoater; 03-30-18 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-30-18, 04:50 PM
WNCGoater

My gosh those pictures are huge. Sorry, thought they were a bit smaller file size.

And I'm not sure but I believe the Giga stove is a bit smaller than the Pocket Rocket and I know the Micro Rocket is smaller. With the canister flipped upside down (bottom is concave) and the stove out of the case, it may fit inside the pot with the canister.
Old 03-30-18, 04:54 PM
trail_monkey

Thank you to all for the advice and links and pictures.
Old 03-30-18, 04:55 PM
trail_monkey

@Trail monkey
The inside diameter of the 1 liter Olicamp XTS pot is a hair under 4 1/2", maybe 7/16". The diameter of the fuel canister, on the bottom rolled seam is about 4 3/8" So there is a bit of room there that a paper towel will just take up. I assume a Snowpeak Titanium pot is about the same diameter because I carried this all the same way when I used it. The XTS pot shown is 5" tall 1 liter and my SP Ti pot is a 25 oz and 4" tall.
Also, I don't have a Salsa Anything but I do have a Blackburn Outpost and as you can see, it will fit it just fine. Also in the mesh bag I have the Pocket Rocket (red container) and a baggie with a scouring pad.

Attachment 605268

Attachment 605269

Attachment 605270
Thank you!
Old 03-31-18, 10:20 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Thank you to all for the advice and links and pictures.
And here's the best advice of all:

If you want to be truly ultralight, then leave the stove at home.
Old 03-31-18, 11:52 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by NoControl
And here's the best advice of all:

If you want to be truly ultralight, then leave the stove at home.
That’s an interesting perspective lol. 👍
Old 03-31-18, 12:49 PM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Toaks pots are lighter, cheaper and better designed than SnowPeak. The 650ml will fit a small 110g canister and BRS3000 stove. The 700ml fits a 220g canister but not the stove. I carry the canister wherever there's room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.