Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Are we (cycling fans) naive and expecting the impossible?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Are we (cycling fans) naive and expecting the impossible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 04:39 AM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My comments about just letting them all dope weren't, of course, serious. Although it might prove to be safer all around for the riders to dope in a controlled, monitored way, rather than whatever is going on now. I believe there are very few truly 'clean' riders on the pro circuit. there's too much pressure and too much money at stake. That includes SKY. Like US Postal / Lance, they've just been smarter about it. My understanding is, the real time to look at someone you suspect is doping is 3 to 6 months prior to the event(s) they're targeting, as they're doing the doping thing in conjunction with the training and buildup to the events. During the events themselves, there may well be very little doping occurring (except for the stupid or the desperate). Cheating is cheating is cheating, and I'm certainly not the person who has the answer.
Old 07-18-12, 05:46 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Let them dope, despite all the obvious legal issues, is a frequent serious refrain from folks.
Old 07-18-12, 05:54 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Let them dope, despite all the obvious legal issues, is a frequent serious refrain from folks.
With some reason. The main issue, for me, would be kids. In a world in which parents are prepared to push doctors to prescribe growth hormone for their normal-sized children, there'd be too many of them ambitious enough to encourage their little darling to dope.

I've sometimes toyed with the idea of rigorous testing for junior competitions, with the UCI imposing a lifetime ban on any under-eighteen found doping. Then a free-for-all for adults, with any legal substance being allowed. Not going to happen, of course.
Old 07-18-12, 06:06 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
My comments about just letting them all dope weren't, of course, serious. Although it might prove to be safer all around for the riders to dope in a controlled, monitored way, rather than whatever is going on now.
That isn't going to work.

If you can't stop the riders from doping, how could you possibly keep track of their taking PED's within specified limits? E.g. if they allow EPO use within a specified range, but ban stimulants, the riders are just going to figure out a way to take the stimulants and mask it from the tests.

I also think that riders getting popped obscures how doping has changed since '87. Back then, it's virtually certain the teams were encouraging riders to dope, and the peloton would go on strike when a rider or team was accused. The sense of an entitlement to dope is pretty much out the window.

Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
My understanding is, the real time to look at someone you suspect is doping is 3 to 6 months prior to the event(s)....
Cycling already has out-of-competition tests, and profiles riders year-round to look for abnormalities.
Old 07-18-12, 06:34 AM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The big problem I have with doping is that if one person does it, then you are either forcing everyone else to do it just to remain competitive, or forcing them out of the sport if they don't want to risk it.

It's stupid. Don't dope.
Old 07-18-12, 06:48 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Originally Posted by chasm54
So the question is, what do we decide is cheating? What is the difference between doping and medication, for example? If an athlete is treated with pharmaceuticals to speed their recovery from injury, is that doping?
If you require medication which might have a performance-enhancing effect, then you get a TUE.

Lines do get a little fuzzy, but as long as the policies are clear, then the doctors and riders can be viably held responsible for their actions.

where is the line drawn between injury and the wear and tear that is to be expected in a stage race?
EPO, HGH and synthetic T are not normally prescribed for road rash or ITBS.

If I discovered that a naturally-occurring, widely-availanble foodstuff boosted my ability to tolerate training, would it be unethical to eat it?
If you're talking about "chocolate milk," then it's ethical.

If you're taking a hormone that occurs naturally, but is conveyed in shots, and you're taking it with the intent to enhance your performance, not so much.

What turns it into an ethical issue is the rules. We decide, pretty much arbitrarily, what is permissible and what isn't. and if you are going to make a rule, you'd better be confident that you can enforce it consistently, or the unfairness increases rather than decreases.
No active pro cyclist has a genuine medical reason to take EPO. Frank Schleck does not have lymphedema. Ricco had kidney failure, admitted to the doctors that he transfused 25 day old blood, and still denied he was blood doping. Where's the ambiguity here?

Life is full of fuzzy lines and borderline cases. Thus try to be as clear as possible, and have safeguards like the CAS. No system is perfect, and the current anti-doping could be better; but the solution is to improve the system, not dump it in the trash. Especially since even if you allow it in some form, riders will be motivated to find some other way to cheat.
Old 07-18-12, 07:20 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

With some reason. The main issue, for me, would be kids. In a world in which parents are prepared to push doctors to prescribe growth hormone for their normal-sized children, there'd be too many of them ambitious enough to encourage their little darling to dope.

I've sometimes toyed with the idea of rigorous testing for junior competitions, with the UCI imposing a lifetime ban on any under-eighteen found doping. Then a free-for-all for adults, with any legal substance being allowed. Not going to happen, of course.
Why define the line at 18 and under? What about the 22 year old NCC rider chasing a USA crit title and dreams of racing in europe? What happens when his team has to race against euro pro teams that come to the states for the big races? And what of the 19 and 18 and 20 year olds, not to mention 45 year old guys like me that have to race against that guy when he's around doing any one of the 100 races he'll do in a season. Not to forget there would be no way to tell how good any of these kids would really be in the pro ranks because the pros are a drug league and every one else is being tested.
Old 07-18-12, 07:37 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe

EPO, HGH and synthetic T are not normally prescribed for road rash or ITBS.
No. But HGH and testosterone gel might be very useful for recovery, while doing little or nothing to actually enhance performance.

If you're talking about "chocolate milk," then it's ethical.

If you're taking a hormone that occurs naturally, but is conveyed in shots, and you're taking it with the intent to enhance your performance, not so much.
Too simplistic, in my view. Everything a professional athlete does is done with a view to enhancing their performance. There's nothing wrong with that. And there's no difference in principle, and no clear difference in practice, between "occurs naturally" and "conveyed in shots". Natural is not synonymous with good. The issue is how we choose to frame the rules.

Life is full of fuzzy lines and borderline cases. Thus try to be as clear as possible, and have safeguards like the CAS. No system is perfect, and the current anti-doping could be better; but the solution is to improve the system, not dump it in the trash. Especially since even if you allow it in some form, riders will be motivated to find some other way to cheat.
Or, have fewer rules, and make them rules you can actually make stick. That's the way to have a level playing field. Having rules that can be evaded is the surest recipe for cheating.
Old 07-18-12, 07:48 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Why define the line at 18 and under? What about the 22 year old NCC rider chasing a USA crit title and dreams of racing in europe? What happens when his team has to race against euro pro teams that come to the states for the big races? And what of the 19 and 18 and 20 year olds, not to mention 45 year old guys like me that have to race against that guy when he's around doing any one of the 100 races he'll do in a season. Not to forget there would be no way to tell how good any of these kids would really be in the pro ranks because the pros are a drug league and every one else is being tested.
Yeah, well, I agree. It's a mess, and nothing we can do will resolve the problem in a way that is cut and dried.
Old 07-18-12, 07:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Yep, it's a mess. And I want big name guys to fall hard for it. I don't care if it's rational or not. I want Armstrong living in a cardboard box beneath a footbridge, and I hope someday that fall from grace acts as a deterrent. Without it true sport is utterly lost.
Old 07-18-12, 08:03 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, it's a mess. And I want big name guys to fall hard for it. I don't care if it's rational or not. I want Armstrong living in a cardboard box beneath a footbridge, and I hope someday that fall from grace acts as a deterrent. Without it true sport is utterly lost.
Oh, I'm a bit less pessimistic than that. The kids I sometimes help with are just as keen and idealistic and full of belief in their own potential as we were, and there's plenty of room for most f them to fulfil that potential, and enjoy the sport, without worrying about what it might tak to climb the Alpe d'Huez in less than half an hour.

Edit: OK, less than forty minutes...
Old 07-18-12, 08:16 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Admittedly, I'm pretty tired of racing against dopers.
Old 07-18-12, 08:21 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Admittedly, I'm pretty tired of racing against dopers.
I sympathise. And it may explain our difference in mood. The calibre of racing I do is so poor that if anyone were doping, you'd be more inclined to pity than resent them. LOL.
Old 07-18-12, 10:03 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Tom Simpson is all the reasons you need why doping can't be allowed.
And Fabio Carsatelli, Andrei Kivilev, and Wouter Weylandt are the only reasons you need why descents can't be allowed in bike racing!
Old 07-18-12, 10:28 AM
benlees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
The big problem I have with doping is that if one person does it, then you are either forcing everyone else to do it just to remain competitive, or forcing them out of the sport if they don't want to risk it.

It's stupid. Don't dope.
Agreed. You let everyone dope, and to be totally serious: why bother having the race? The winner is the one whose body best metabolizes whatever drugs they were given. Why bother? That ain't sport. And there will still be cheats. Gotta be vigilant. Have to make the risks of cheater greater than the reward. The old balance of shame and glory.
Old 07-18-12, 10:30 AM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
True sport was lost when they started allowing professionals into the Olympics. Not that the Olympics were any cleaqner than pro sports, but it crossed a line that can't be re-crossed. Roger Federer and LaBron James in the Olympics is a travesty. Poor Jim Thorpe. If only he'd known.
Old 07-18-12, 01:48 PM
jeffpoulin

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yeah, I was trying to be snarky and show that it's a very old problem in the same post. I believe it was Anquetil, but I'm not positive. Sounds like something he'd say.
It was Anquetil, but your quote is not exact. In 1967 he said (on TV, no less) "on ne fait pas dauphiné Bordeaux-Paris en marchant à l’eau claire" (one doesn't win Bordeaux-Paris by running on mineral water). He could have said the same about the Tour, and probably did at some point, just not on TV.
Old 07-18-12, 02:20 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
It is a mess folks. No easy answer, I guess the current system is the best system.. If you allowed open doping then all professional cyclist would be forced to dope to be competitive. Teams are punishing riders big time for doping these days and while the system will never be perfect, it is a system. Out of 192 riders, 2 have been caught doping this year I think...

Outside of perhaps some lifetime bans, I don't know more what to do.
Old 07-18-12, 02:53 PM
ramuntxo

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50, Single speed Centurion Lemans

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The issue isn't really about doping, it's about cheating. Yes, Coppi did a lot of amphetamines, Anquetil made the famous mineral water remark, lots of the early guys were boozed up to the eyeballs to anaesthetise themselves through prodigiously long stages on fixed gear bikes. But it wasn't against the rules. And the rules change. Drugs (including caffeine) move on and off the banned list.

So the question is, what do we decide is cheating? What is the difference between doping and medication, for example? If an athlete is treated with pharmaceuticals to speed their recovery from injury, is that doping? Most people would probably say no, if what we are doing is restoring them to fitness rather than enhancing their level of performance. But where is the line drawn between injury and the wear and tear that is to be expected in a stage race? Is it OK to help people recover, as long as we aren't helping them do things they couldn't do before? If yes, then some of the chemicals now banned would be OK. If no, then the line between legitimate and illegitimate won't be clear.

These are murky waters. If I discovered that a naturally-occurring, widely-availanble foodstuff boosted my ability to tolerate training, would it be unethical to eat it? I think not. Would it be unethical to avoid telling my competitors? Again, I'd say no. I'm under no obligation to reveal the details of my training regime to them, it is perfectly reasonable that I should seek an advantage. And is there any moral difference between a chemical that grows in the ground as opposed to being synthesised in a lab? No, the vitamin C in a multivitamin is no more evil than the vitamin C in an orange.

So the question of doping is far from cut and dried, ethically speaking. What turns it into an ethical issue is the rules. We decide, pretty much arbitrarily, what is permissible and what isn't. and if you are going to make a rule, you'd better be confident that you can enforce it consistently, or the unfairness increases rather than decreases.
+1
Old 07-18-12, 03:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

No. But HGH and testosterone gel might be very useful for recovery, while doing little or nothing to actually enhance performance.
Not really seeing a difference between "artificially enhancing your recovery" and "enhancing performance."

Too simplistic, in my view. Everything a professional athlete does is done with a view to enhancing their performance. There's nothing wrong with that.
There is, when the rules explicitly bar those actions.

Riders who take PED's aren't engaging in civil disobedience against a profoundly unfair system. They're looking for an edge to win the game (or just stay in it).

Taking a drug isn't much different than a pro hiding a 1 pound weight on his bike to get it up to 15 pounds, and surreptitiously shedding it at the bottom of a climb. Even if the 15-pound UCI rule strikes you as arbitrary or a poor choice, you don't have the right to break the rules.

here's no difference in principle, and no clear difference in practice, between "occurs naturally" and "conveyed in shots". Natural is not synonymous with good.
If your body can't produce enough testosterone, then injecting an artificial supplement is significantly different both in practice and principle.

Or, have fewer rules, and make them rules you can actually make stick. That's the way to have a level playing field. Having rules that can be evaded is the surest recipe for cheating.
The problem isn't that the rules are "too complex."

The riders, their doctors, and team management know very well what's on the WADA Prohibited List, which is updated annually.

So, the rule is simple: Don't take prohibited substances. Is that really so hard?

Further, it's well-known that there is an arms race between cheaters and testers. The cheaters do things like blood doping, or take masking agents, take drugs that are nearly undetectable, or take PED's that they know their sport doesn't test for (e.g. EPO use by track & field sprinters) specifically in order to evade the rules. As soon as a substance or technique becomes detectable, they find another one.

The "surest recipe for cheating" is just "being human." I'm not sure what will actually stop people from cheating, but I am fairly sure that relaxing rules is not going to do it.
Old 07-18-12, 03:28 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its also an evolution, not a static situation. Doing the best, fairest thing at any point in time is the best we can hope for.
We'll always get attempts to play outside the rules because fatigue is a biochemical state, not a bio-mechanical one and thus so tempting to artificially alter.
Old 07-18-12, 03:41 PM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Not really seeing a difference between "artificially enhancing your recovery" and "enhancing performance."
Really? You don't see the difference between helping someone recover from illness, injury or fatigue, and enabling them to do something they could not normally achieve when healthy and fresh?

I think you, and many others, are hung up on an illusory distinction between what is "natural" and "artificial". Having foam rollers to massage your quads isn't "natural".

If your body can't produce enough testosterone, then injecting an artificial supplement is significantly different both in practice and principle.
If you have asthma, you are entitled to an exemption and can use drugs that are banned for others. How is that different from being unable "naturally" to produce as much testosterone as one's competitors?

The "surest recipe for cheating" is just "being human." I'm not sure what will actually stop people from cheating, but I am fairly sure that relaxing rules is not going to do it.
You are missing my point - probably deliberately. I was observing that if one has rules one cannot reliably enforce, that makes matters worse, because those who wish to play fair will observe them while cheats prosper.
Old 07-18-12, 04:11 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

It's pretty difficult to actually get a TUE. Guys who don't know think that a DS can just write one and it's all ok. It's a bit more complicated.
Old 07-18-12, 05:18 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Really? You don't see the difference between helping someone recover from illness, injury or fatigue, and enabling them to do something they could not normally achieve when healthy and fresh?
I see a difference between working hard to train your body and your mind to compete in a stage race, and taking a drug to induce recovery above and beyond what you could possibly ever achieve with training.

I think you, and many others, are hung up on an illusory distinction between what is "natural" and "artificial". Having foam rollers to massage your quads isn't "natural".
I'd rather be hung up on the idea of "natural" and "artificial" (which, really, isn't that hard to figure out) than make excuses for cheaters.

Again: Yes, there are fuzzy borders; something like a hyperbaric chamber skates a fine line. That makes those specific cases problematic, and have no effect on other aspects. EPO, for example, is clearly going to boost your hematocrit far beyond what you could ever achieve with hard work and intelligent training -- so much that it can kill you in your sleep. And if not taking EPO means you're slower after 14 days of constant riding than another rider whose genetic structure gives them a higher hematocrit, and you can't outsmart them by conserving your energy, and you don't get lucky, then you lose. In fact, you're supposed to lose.

There is nothing "natural" about taking EPO, HGH, synthetic T, CERA, diuretics, or ozone. Don't fool yourself about that, 'cause you aren't fooling me.

If you have asthma, you are entitled to an exemption and can use drugs that are banned for others. How is that different from being unable "naturally" to produce as much testosterone as one's competitors?
Asthma is a medical condition; there is nothing "natural" about the inability to breathe, and you can't relieve it with training. More importantly, the cutoff for salbutamol is well below any possible performance-enhancing effects, but is still clinically effective. There's also considerable debate about salbutamol; some docs say it shouldn't be allowed at all, while others say there is little evidence it has any effects on performance at all.

It's perfectly normal for men to produce less testosterone as they age. Normal, natural, inherent, pick a word -- any word. The reality is that as you get older, you lose certain physical aptitudes. If you can't make up for that with tactics and experience and knowing your body better and mental toughness, then you lose. That's the nature of sport.

You are missing my point - probably deliberately. I was observing that if one has rules one cannot reliably enforce, that makes matters worse, because those who wish to play fair will observe them while cheats prosper.
What you said is "have fewer rules, and make them stick." Go read your own words.

But the problem is not a surfeit of rules, or too much complexity. It's that riders are very, very good at cheating.

The UCI already does extensive testing, far more than most other sports -- including required testing for stage winners and category leaders, random year-round testing, year-round tracking of test results (the "biological passport"), criminal investigations of dirty doctors, and occasional searches of hotel rooms and team vehicles.

What more are they supposed to do -- give them polygraph tests? 24/7 chaperones? Mandatory searches of hotel rooms and team vehicles? Polygraphs can be beaten; chaperones can be bribed; riders can have someone not on the team transport their drugs.

The reason why it's difficult to have effective tests is not because the rules are too complex or poorly thought out. It's because the riders and their doctors are expending significant resources to develop doping techniques that cannot be detected. A test for EPO is developed; the riders switch to CERA. A few riders get popped for CERA; riders stop using it. They develop a test for residual phthalates from blood bags, docs will either figure out how to filter those out, or switch to glass, or who knows.

When black-hat hackers zing a credit card processor, the solution is not to transmit credit card information in the clear. It's to toughen up security and enforcement -- even though you know the hackers will turn right around and look for new vulnerabilities and other weak spots in the armor.

Relaxing or lifting the rules against PED's is not going to reduce the amount of PED's in use, and it's not going to make it safer for the riders. They'll continue to push the boundaries, even if it jeopardizes their health and safety. Sponsors would flee, law enforcement would pop half the riders, municipalities would cancel events.

So you tell me. What rules should be eliminated? What rules are too complex for the riders to figure out? How would removing tests actually improve the situation? How do you ensure rider safety, when they still have the exact same incentives to push the boundaries and use undetectable drugs to get an otherwise unavailable advantage?
Old 07-27-12, 10:27 PM
caotropheus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice article this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18921784

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.