Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

So how does Trek's reputation come through all of this?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

So how does Trek's reputation come through all of this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-12, 11:40 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
... not gonna pick a bike based on who promotes them.
This!
Old 11-05-12, 12:43 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
I haven't seen any real innovation from Trek since their Y-frame MTBs in the mid to late 90s. I'll take a current Santa Cruz over a Trek MTB anyday.

As for their road bikes, they had OCLV when all Specialized had was the aluminum Allez and a "Roubaix" suspension fork. Don't know what happened... I'm sure the Madone is a fine frame, but the current offerings from Specialized, Cannondale, Cervelo, etc are just a lot more appealing. Not sure why... maybe it's the excessive Bontrager stuff on the Treks.

Maybe Trek should've concentrated more on continuing their lead in innovation than kissing LA's ass.
Old 11-05-12, 11:25 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Is this a serious question? Some of you guys have the biggest hard-ons for Lance Armstrong it's hilarious. Never knew one man could provide so much obsession of hate. Because the man rode bike brand X, it is now blacklisted by certain people who foam at the mouth when they hear his name? LOL, please... to all of you THIS far down the Armstrong rabbit hole, I implore you, get a life. You can't avoid certain sports wear, beers, postal services, electronics stores, sunglasses, cancer foundations, and TV channels your whole life.
Old 11-05-12, 11:45 AM
cruiserhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
Is this a serious question? Some of you guys have the biggest hard-ons for Lance Armstrong it's hilarious. Never knew one man could provide so much obsession of hate. Because the man rode bike brand X, it is now blacklisted by certain people who foam at the mouth when they hear his name? LOL, please... to all of you THIS far down the Armstrong rabbit hole, I implore you, get a life. You can't avoid certain sports wear, beers, postal services, electronics stores, sunglasses, cancer foundations, and TV channels your whole life.
Old 11-05-12, 02:00 PM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
You can't avoid buying a Trek? Walnut Creek may be under-served in terms of bike shops.

And if you don't think your dollars represent any kind of political action on your part, your naivete is shocking.
Old 11-05-12, 02:51 PM
Pug
High Modulus

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
Even the notion that Carmichael was fronting as a coach just adds to the deception.
The real deception is Carmichael's coaching having anything to do with LA's success. It didn't. To use Floyd's term, Carmichael was a "beard", no more.
Old 11-12-12, 08:46 PM
BykOfALesserGod
Pretty rigid member

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5, IF Crown Jewel, QR Kilo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of us Trek owners just want to ride. I don't even know who won the Tour this year.
Old 11-19-12, 10:11 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Well let's see some of the riders who endorse the other brands: Specialized has Contador (banned), Vinokourov (banned), and Tom Boonen (recreational drugs off season); Cannondale has Ivan Basso (banned); Bianch had Marco Pantani (banned and OD'ed). I think I'll buy a Jamis.

The irony is that Trek was loosing market share on the bikes Lance was winning on, mainly because they were a difficult fit for non-racers. They had to wait until 2005 to start designing the current series ('til 2012) Madones. At the time Scott was making the lightest, most durable carbon bikes, and 2006 Madones show this.
Old 11-20-12, 11:25 AM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BykOfALesserGod
Most of us Trek owners just want to ride. I don't even know who won the Tour this year.
So, I guess they'll be no shiny new Pinarello under the tree this Christmas?
Old 11-20-12, 12:16 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Trek's statement said they were disappointed in the USADA findings, not that they were disappointed with Lance. Big difference.

Trek sales in our shop are down in Oct and Nov, Trek is saying we're not alone...
Old 11-20-12, 01:00 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Okiecardinal
What role, or perhaps backlash, does the Trek corp deserve?
None.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 11-20-12, 01:39 PM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Well let's see some of the riders who endorse the other brands: Specialized has Contador (banned), Vinokourov (banned), and Tom Boonen (recreational drugs off season); Cannondale has Ivan Basso (banned); Bianch had Marco Pantani (banned and OD'ed). I think I'll buy a Jamis.

The irony is that Trek was loosing market share on the bikes Lance was winning on, mainly because they were a difficult fit for non-racers. They had to wait until 2005 to start designing the current series ('til 2012) Madones. At the time Scott was making the lightest, most durable carbon bikes, and 2006 Madones show this.
Surely you don't think it's about the doping.
Old 11-20-12, 03:26 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mconlonx
Trek sales in our shop are down in Oct and Nov, Trek is saying we're not alone...
Is Trek sales down, while other brands are up?
Old 11-20-12, 03:35 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
Is Trek sales down, while other brands are up?
We're Trek-only and I am not privvy to other shops in the area or other brands in the industry. But yes, that would make a difference...
Old 11-21-12, 11:20 PM
oldbobcat

We sell Trek, Bianchi, Scott, and Raleigh, and road bike sales are down for all of 'em. Hybrids and MTBs are still trickling out the door, but those buyers are pretty oblivious or indifferent to what's happening in pro road cycling. The gigantic Lance photo-fresco in the back of the shop raises a few humorous comments each week, and Trek had someone measuring our wall for something new.

We really haven't seen a Lance factor since at least 2009. Buyers are basing their selection on merit (fit, ride, appearance, warranty & reputation, stuff that counts), not endorsements. There are two road-bike buying seasons, late winter and early spring for those who want the new models, and late fall for bargain hunters. Except for Domanes, the 2013s have been slow to trickle in, so there's no hurry to push the '12s out the door yet.
Old 11-21-12, 11:30 PM
oldbobcat

Originally Posted by Commodus
Surely you don't think it's about the doping.
I think that once a non-racing non-fanboy customer compared the fit of a Lance-era Madone or 5000 OCLV with a Tarmac or Roubaix or similar bike, the Trek usually lost.

The fanboys were a small group and they never believed the doping stories anyway.
Old 11-22-12, 07:32 AM
FriendlyFred

Bikes: BMC Team Machine, BMC Road Racer, BMC Streetfire, BMC AlpenChallenge

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No matter what your opinion is of Lance Armstrong or Trek, the pair of them brought cycling to a LOT of people who otherwise might not have discovered the joy of getting out there cranking miles on a bike. Do I ride a Trek? No, not anymore. All my bikes are BMCs. But I started on a Trek, and still remember the absolute pride and joy when I got my first carbon road bike, a Trek 5200. Over time, I evolved and found I enjoyed the look and ride of BMCs more than Trek, but I'm not going to belittle anyone who's riding, whether it's a Trek, Specialized, or a Wal-Mart special, If you want to get on your moral high-horse, there are damned few products or companies that you can't find something to boycott or be fist shaking angry over if you so choose. Life is too short for continued anger and witch hunts.

edited to add: if you're pissed at Trek because Lance doped, exactly what bike ARE you going to ride? They ALL have had dopers ride them. Think Sky is clean? Think again. What does a bunch of guys doping on the pro circuit have to do with YOU pedaling miles for fun and exercise? Do you like the NFL? Well THAT sport is full of wife beaters, drunk drivers, dopers, murderers and disgusting dog torturers. Do you rail against Budweiser? Ford? Sprint, or any of the other companies who sponsor support or sponsor the NFL? At this point, I don't give a darn about doping. I'm not sure Cycling, or any sport, has ever been clean. If someone can get an advantage they will. If you think they're clean, they aren't, they're just ahead of the testing curve.

Last edited by FriendlyFred; 11-22-12 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-22-12, 09:56 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
I think that once a non-racing non-fanboy customer compared the fit of a Lance-era Madone or 5000 OCLV with a Tarmac or Roubaix or similar bike, the Trek usually lost.

The fanboys were a small group and they never believed the doping stories anyway.
So this was....what? Colour commentary?
Old 11-22-12, 10:00 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
No matter what your opinion is of Lance Armstrong or Trek, the pair of them brought cycling to a LOT of people who otherwise might not have discovered the joy of getting out there cranking miles on a bike. Do I ride a Trek? No, not anymore. All my bikes are BMCs. But I started on a Trek, and still remember the absolute pride and joy when I got my first carbon road bike, a Trek 5200. Over time, I evolved and found I enjoyed the look and ride of BMCs more than Trek, but I'm not going to belittle anyone who's riding, whether it's a Trek, Specialized, or a Wal-Mart special, If you want to get on your moral high-horse, there are damned few products or companies that you can't find something to boycott or be fist shaking angry over if you so choose. Life is too short for continued anger and witch hunts.

edited to add: if you're pissed at Trek because Lance doped, exactly what bike ARE you going to ride? They ALL have had dopers ride them. Think Sky is clean? Think again. What does a bunch of guys doping on the pro circuit have to do with YOU pedaling miles for fun and exercise? Do you like the NFL? Well THAT sport is full of wife beaters, drunk drivers, dopers, murderers and disgusting dog torturers. Do you rail against Budweiser? Ford? Sprint, or any of the other companies who sponsor support or sponsor the NFL? At this point, I don't give a darn about doping. I'm not sure Cycling, or any sport, has ever been clean. If someone can get an advantage they will. If you think they're clean, they aren't, they're just ahead of the testing curve.
Once again, for the latecomers: No one is pissed at Trek because Lance doped. We're pissed at Trek because they're a **** company who supported the biggest ******bag in sports history and helped him damage the lives of several honest, decent people.

Some folks don't care about that kind of thing, I happen to put my dollars into companies I feel good about supporting. We all vote with our dollars, and we vote our conscience. There are other bike companies out there.
Old 11-22-12, 09:01 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by FriendlyFred
You would be surprised at the power of people in the age of electonic social media, especially now that companies are gauging their sponsorships on the reactions posted to Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Big companies like those you talk about indeed do get railed against, especially when special-interest groups start targeting them for the antisocial behaviour of those they sponsored.

You only have to look at the likes of Rabobank withdrawing from pro cycling sponsorship to understand how important these issues do become to the reputations of these companies.

Sort of discounts your argument when you look at it like that.
Old 01-16-13, 04:48 AM
AC1074

Bikes: 2019 Trek Domane AL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, from what I understand Trek has already dropped Armstrong and probably should start doing some damage control along with other sponsors like Nike. It's not really Trek's or Nike's fault they just backed someone whom they thought was legit.
Old 01-16-13, 05:12 AM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RedC
My first road bike was a Lemond I bought the year Trek divorced Greg for saying what we now know to be true. After 4 years and 20,000 miles I broke it and Trek replaced the frame with a Madone 5.9.. I don't think who doped and who knew 10 years ago will affect my future purchases. It's hard for me to be upset with the company that replaced the frame on my $1800 bicycle with a $2500 frame
you're not upset they sold you an $1800 bike that broke after 4 years?
Old 01-16-13, 09:21 AM
Rodimus_Prime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any bike can "fit" given its close to the proper frame size for you, one brand doesn't fit any better than another

Theres different types of geometry, theres race, theres more upright comfort, etc, every major company offers several models
Old 01-16-13, 11:31 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by frantik
you're not upset they sold you an $1800 bike that broke after 4 years?
Stuff break all the time. Even the space shuttles that had some of the smartest engineers in the world working on it failed twice.

My attitude about "equipment" in general is hoping for non-catastrophic failure when in failure-mode,and that the manufacturer stand behind their product.
Old 01-18-13, 02:23 AM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1) Trek will probably be fine but they really should think about changing the name of the Madone. That place is now seriously infamous for all the wrong reasons - if you follow my double negative... Check Tylers' book.
2) If you believe Tyler and Floyd, Chris C was a very distant part of the operation. The name they heard most every day was "Michele", even more than "Kik", Armstrong's wife. Chris was not part of the game according to these guys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.