Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

What about the bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-13, 07:25 PM
900aero

Bikes: Pinarello FPQuattro, Giant XTC 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What about the bike?

Why is it that cycling commentary and rider interviews never discuss the bike? It seems to be a taboo subject which cannot be mentioned unless its a very peripheral, passing remark. Most other sports where equipment is used (motor racing, yachting...) there is regular and often detailed discussion of the gear, whats working, whats not.....pro cycling is mostly silent. Some magazines will do an analysis of pro-team kit now and then but rarely with a rider interview as well. Having said that, I'm more thinking about the TV coverage than print.

This seems odd as most people who tune into watch cycling races or buy magazines are fairly focussed (?obsessed? boarder-line compulsives? ) on their bikes, technology and everything related. Its not like the audience would be offended or may not understand the conversation if it dwelt on the bikes for a minute here and there. Nevertheless, the only reasons I can think of are:
  • Its somehow seen as too technical by the broadcasters in their desire to appeal to a wide (ie uninformed) audience.
  • No-one wants to discuss gear in case they say the wrong thing and upset their sponsors/patrons
  • Somehow everyone has decided that really, all the bikes are the same and there is no point comparing.

Neither of these really hold water to me. Anyone care to offer thoughts? Enlightenment?

thnx
Old 01-24-13, 07:51 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
or you don't pay close enough attention

for example

https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/...elo_testeam_s3
Old 01-24-13, 08:34 PM
900aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
or you don't pay close enough attention

for example

https://autobus.cyclingnews.com/tech/...elo_testeam_s3
Possible. I definitely missed that one article from 2008. Nevertheless its true that online media does take time to look at tech - however, actual rider interviews still seem thin on the ground. My question is predominantly about TV coverage though. When did Phil/Paul/Matt last name a bike mfr or go into any detail of their merits? Ask a rider how their bike helped with their performance?

Last edited by 900aero; 01-24-13 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Additions
Old 01-24-13, 09:29 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I really don't give a crap about Phil Liggett's opinion of bicycle brands. Their commentary is bad enough without them constantly shilling for manufacturers or appealing to gearheads.

I don't care to hear it from pros, either. They ride what they are paid to ride; they promote what they're paid to promote. That doesn't indicate credibility.
Old 01-24-13, 11:41 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usually it's just some segment where some product manager is giving a dumbed down summary of what's awesome about a particular pro's bike.

I'd be more interested in more coverage of what the mechanics do. There's a good bit in A Sunday In Hell.
Old 01-25-13, 01:25 AM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 900aero
Why is it that cycling commentary and rider interviews never discuss the bike?
Its not about the bike.
Old 01-25-13, 01:29 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
Usually it's just some segment where some product manager is giving a dumbed down summary of what's awesome about a particular pro's bike.

I'd be more interested in more coverage of what the mechanics do. There's a good bit in A Sunday In Hell.
+1! There was a bit of an homage (or perhaps coat-tail standing) in Overcoming, which opens with a mechanic spraying CSC's carbon Cervelos with a pressure-sprayer.

The beauty of bicycling is that the motor & pilot are far more crucial & interesting than the mere dumb materials that make all the difference for Nascar or Sailing.
That still doesn't stop us cycling consumers (many of whom could stand to lose 20 pounds or more) from lusting after the latest titanium bottle cage bolt or carbon-fiber geegaw that will shave 20 grams from our machines.
Old 01-25-13, 07:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
My question is predominantly about TV coverage though. When did Phil/Paul/Matt last name a bike mfr or go into any detail of their merits? Ask a rider how their bike helped with their performance?
On NBC Sports coverage of the TDF, there are always little feature pieces about various new bikes, pieces of equipment. Usually these are just thinly veiled ads.

Asking a rider about his bike in an interview during a stage race would be next to worthless. You'd either get a plug for the team's equipment sponsor or not much at all.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 01-25-13, 08:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Old 01-25-13, 09:05 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At that level, all bikes are really the same. Cav, Wiggins, Contador, etc can win with any of those bikes and many other bikes not in the Tour.
Old 01-25-13, 09:39 AM
eduardo76

Bikes: Scott Foil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think i know what you are asking, OP (specially if you compare to F1 racing, etc); but i think the reasons you mentioned, when combined, pretty much explains this phenomenum:
1. Its somehow seen as too technical by the broadcasters in their desire to appeal to a wide (ie uninformed) audience. (PLUS, AS YOU MENTIONED, WE ARE ALL OBSESSED WITH EQUIPMENT, AND PHIL WOULDN'T MENTION ANTHING NEW ABOUT THE NEW TREK DOMANE THAT WE HAVE NOT READ ABOUT ALREADY)
2. No-one wants to discuss gear in case they say the wrong thing and upset their sponsors/patrons (PLUS, IF THEY DID DISCUSS ANY GEAR, IT WOULD BE JUST ADVERTISEMENT TO THE SPONSOR - "THIS BIKE RODE BEAUTIFULLY ALL DAY, JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF STIFFNESS AND COMFORT")
3. Somehow everyone has decided that really, all the bikes are the same and there is no point comparing. (PLUS, THEY MOSTLY ARE THE SAME - THE UCI MAKES SURE OF THAT - AFTER ALL, EVEN THE BOTTLE CAGES ARE REGULATED - IF THE UCI ALLOWED FOR EXAMPLE DISC BRAKES, I AM SURE THE ISSUE WOULD COME UP ON ANY ATTACK DURING A HIGH SPEED DESCENT. )
Old 01-25-13, 11:15 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by eduardo76
Somehow everyone has decided that really, all the bikes are the same and there is no point comparing.
Yeah, that's because in terms of performance, they basically are all the same.

The sport isn't about how Machine X is so supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. It's about athletic ability, tactics, teamwork and suffering. I.e. human beings.

By the way, the riders are almost as conservative as the UCI. Disc brakes are legal for 'cross, but have not been adopted by riders across the board. (see https://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-brakes_263893) It's a conservatism that, in at least some cases, has a good basis (e.g. https://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...ona-mud_271112). Sometimes, it's better to stick to the devil you know.
Old 01-25-13, 12:51 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few weeks ago I found myself riding behind a domestic-based pro (H. Clarke). I struck up a conversation and ended up asking him a question I've always wanted to ask a pro: can he really tell the difference between brands of bikes. He paused for a quick second and said a bit sheepishly that he could. I took it to mean that while he could tell differences between different models, those difference were minute. He then said, what just about every other knowledgeable, or even somewhat knowledgeable, cycling enthusiast says: wheels make the biggest difference in performance.
Old 01-25-13, 02:52 PM
byhsu

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
: wheels make the biggest difference in performance.
weight wise or shape (more aerodynamic)?
Old 01-25-13, 09:30 PM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by byhsu
weight wise or shape (more aerodynamic)?
Both.
And I should have said: biggest/most importantdifference/factor in performance is the engine; wheels are a distant second. =)

Last edited by Cat4Lifer; 01-25-13 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-26-13, 04:34 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Why is it that cycling commentary and rider interviews never discuss the bike? It seems to be a taboo subject which cannot be mentioned unless its a very peripheral, passing remark. Most other sports where equipment is used (motor racing, yachting...) there is regular and often detailed discussion of the gear, whats working, whats not.....pro cycling is mostly silent. Some magazines will do an analysis of pro-team kit now and then but rarely with a rider interview as well. Having said that, I'm more thinking about the TV coverage than print.

This seems odd as most people who tune into watch cycling races or buy magazines are fairly focussed (?obsessed? boarder-line compulsives? ) on their bikes, technology and everything related. Its not like the audience would be offended or may not understand the conversation if it dwelt on the bikes for a minute here and there. Nevertheless, the only reasons I can think of are:
  • Its somehow seen as too technical by the broadcasters in their desire to appeal to a wide (ie uninformed) audience.
  • No-one wants to discuss gear in case they say the wrong thing and upset their sponsors/patrons
  • Somehow everyone has decided that really, all the bikes are the same and there is no point comparing.

Neither of these really hold water to me. Anyone care to offer thoughts? Enlightenment?

thnx
According to Sean Kelly the only important part of any racing bike is still the engine.
Old 01-26-13, 05:26 PM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
Its not about the bike.
Right. His comment may sound weird at first, but when you really get down to it, all teams ride pretty comparable equipment, just from different brands. The different brands may work hard to impress you with different test numbers and such, but in reality the same level of equipment is not that different.
Old 01-26-13, 05:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Why would a cyclist want to admit that a piece of gear won the race for them?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-26-13, 08:22 PM
jbenkert111
Coffee Stud

Bikes: Fuji ALOHA TT, Scott Speedster 35, Nashbar Road Bike, Marin MTB, Dolomite Fat Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Why would a cyclist want to admit that a piece of gear won the race for them?
I agree, talking to a rider about his bike would be useless, however, I think it would be interesting to model themselves after NASCAR. All the drivers say is "my DuPont Chevrolet "Trek" ran good today. Ocassionally though, A auto engineer/Crew chief will use a cutout section of race car (not mentioning the make) and explains how the mechanics of the car (bike) contributed to a breakdown, an accident, or how it helps in speed or cornering. I think this could be done and be interesting.
Old 01-28-13, 04:48 AM
900aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbenkert111
I agree, talking to a rider about his bike would be useless, however, I think it would be interesting to model themselves after NASCAR. All the drivers say is "my DuPont Chevrolet "Trek" ran good today. Ocassionally though, A auto engineer/Crew chief will use a cutout section of race car (not mentioning the make) and explains how the mechanics of the car (bike) contributed to a breakdown, an accident, or how it helps in speed or cornering. I think this could be done and be interesting.
THis is kind of what I'm thinking of - but I disagree that riders would only endorse their bikes in brainless marketing speak. Think of how the MotoGP guys will speak to the media after a practice session. if they're off the pace, they say so. If they don't like their tyre choice, brake setup etc.....Or if the bike is great, they say so - & why. its not that hard.

Some of the questions you other guys have posed above are fair - some are nonsense. IN terms of adding technical depth to TV commentary, there is a great opportunity in my view but I guess if I can't even get the interest of an internet forum, its never going to happen.
Old 01-28-13, 07:40 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

THis is kind of what I'm thinking of - but I disagree that riders would only endorse their bikes in brainless marketing speak. Think of how the MotoGP guys will speak to the media after a practice session. if they're off the pace, they say so. If they don't like their tyre choice, brake setup etc.....Or if the bike is great, they say so - & why. its not that hard.

Some of the questions you other guys have posed above are fair - some are nonsense. IN terms of adding technical depth to TV commentary, there is a great opportunity in my view but I guess if I can't even get the interest of an internet forum, its never going to happen.
"Cannodale makes the Best Bikes"

Mario Cippolini circa 1996. It's highly doubtful that was a true statement at time, and it's even more doubtful that Cippollini, being Italian, believed it.

In a sport that's almost completely dependent on sponsors, you expect the riders to give candid, public, assesments of their sponsor's products?
Old 01-28-13, 08:39 AM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The only way to know the truth is to check their personal bikes when they retired. Even some after retirement dont ride a bike no more and probably dont even own one. All the equipment is given, they cant complain at all eventhought sure they have opinions about the stuff, doubt we will hear anything of those opinions ever.
Old 01-28-13, 08:47 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Originally Posted by Cat4Lifer
wheels make the biggest difference in performance.
And watching Pro Races, you'll see a variety of wheel choices on any given race/stage.

I think it would be interesting on a day when some riders are using shallow rims, aluminum or CF, and others are using deep sectioned CF, to ask thing like why did you choose the 404's today instead of the 303's.

And on very mountainous stages, when a rider chooses to use a compact or a triple, that would be a subject for discussion.

But for the most part in a UCI regulated world with a 14.9lb weight limit, there just isn't much if any difference between one bike setup and the next.
Old 01-28-13, 11:24 AM
Cat4Lifer
Velo Club La Grange

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
And on very mountainous stages, when a rider chooses to use a compact or a triple, that would be a subject for discussion.
remember when a 42 was standard? christ
Old 01-28-13, 12:24 PM
Gordy748

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Think of how the MotoGP guys will speak to the media after a practice session. if they're off the pace, they say so. If they don't like their tyre choice, brake setup etc.....Or if the bike is great, they say so - & why. its not that hard.
Err.... no. When Moto GP riders are criticizing or praising their set-ups or their tires, they are not blaming their Brembos, Ohlins or Pirellis on letting them down. They are blaming exactly what they are talking about; the set-up or human choice. Suspension, for example, involves a balance of spring rate, spring tension, fast and slow compression damping and fast and slow rebound damping. All those need to be dialed in just right for each track, and failure to do so is the result of human error, not product. I've never heard of any riders say "yes I won today because my Showa rear suspension rebounds so good". It's always the set-up (unless it's le Mans and they have so much more horsepower they blow past everyone on the straights).

Likewise for cyclists. At the top end, the difference between a Colnago with Campy, a Trek with Shimano and a Giant with Sram is virtually non-existent. But what you will hear quite frequently is someone like Cavendish blaming poor big ring choice for losing a sprint, or Contador bemoaning his mountain cassette gear ratios.

In both sports, it's not about the machinery as much as it is about the human element.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.