Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What can I do with old bike chains?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-18, 02:33 PM
realperson

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Raleigh One Way, Gary Fisher Aquila

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

What can I do with old bike chains? I replaced a chain on my Schwinn Super Sport. Now I don't know what to do with it. I feel silly throwing it away but I don't know what to do with it. Any ideas?
Old 03-11-18, 02:38 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Other than using it to beat the crap out of bike thieves you can take them to the local metal recycler, donate to a bike co-op where a worn but usable chain is better than no chain for many folks, find people who make art and jewelry out of old chains. Hopefully more ideas will be coming in...............
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 03-11-18, 02:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
+1) drop it at a bike co op, or shop & they will add it to their recycle pile..

new steel imports will have a Tariff , on them, if you read the news..
Old 03-11-18, 03:23 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
I volunteer weekly at my local Co-op. Do not donate your old chains. While I'm not around, some misguided client will install and try to use that old chain. They will then suffer for several days of frustration with poor shifting and cog jumping. Then I'll be faced with 30 minutes of explaining the problem and ultimately installing a new chain.

Similar scenario: a local downtown homeless shelter calls and says they have 10 'leftover' bikes to donate, but we have to pick them up. Right - thanks but no thanks. Why should we waste our resources picking their crap up only to then have to make an hour-long beeline straight to the dump?
Old 03-11-18, 03:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Degrease 'em thoroughly. I use mineral spirits followed by 90% isopropyl alcohol. Some folks use ultrasonic jewelry cleaners. I don't use gasoline and strongly recommend against using it for cleaning.

Then dip 'em in melted wax/paraffin and let soak for at least 15 minutes (takes a little time for the wax to wick into the friction areas). I use a Little Dipper that came with my large Rival crock pot. Perfect for chain waxing chores.

When the chain is cool enough to handle, but still warm, wipe down with a rag moistened in mineral spirits.

The chain will feel clean, not waxy, and will resist rusting and won't accumulate gunk like an oiled chain. Store in a ziplock bag, labeled "Old chain, not for use on bicycle", etc.

Find a local artist, theater, musician, someone creative and donate the chains. Those chains might find a second life in sculpture, industrial wind chimes, as a stage set piece or clothing accessories.

If I still lived in my large rural home, I'd use 'em along with worn out freewheels, cassettes, chain rings and cranks, to construct fidget spinner sculpture pieces for the outside deck. Just for a laugh. Family kids visiting would get a kick out of that sorta thing.
Old 03-11-18, 05:01 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Well, with the addition of a piece of aluminum bar stock, you could make chain whips. At least they would be useful that way.
Old 03-11-18, 05:02 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I just put an old chain in the metal recycling. Simple.
Old 03-11-18, 05:24 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Make Fidget Spinners! I have made five at this point. My grandkids loved them. My son's wife's brother works at a bike shop and he got one for Christmas. I made a nice wooden stand for it, so it can be on the counter

Old 03-11-18, 05:56 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I just put an old chain in the metal recycling. Simple.
+1 End of problem.
Old 03-11-18, 08:24 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I volunteer weekly at my local Co-op. Do not donate your old chains.
Probably best to ask your local Co-op. Some can make good use of the chains for people too poor to buy anything and just need any old chain to get their bike working.
Old 03-11-18, 08:39 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Make a key chain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20180311_213504514.jpg (605.7 KB, 408 views)
Likes For MidTNBrad:
Old 03-11-18, 10:10 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 712 Times in 380 Posts
Resource Revival accepts them from bike shops: https://www.resourcerevival.com/page...our-bike-chain . Maybe you can find out who is doing this locally and donate to them.

FWIW, here's what they do with them: 20 Coolest recycled bicycle chain creations ever made ? Planet Custodian

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-12-18, 05:00 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I volunteer weekly at my local Co-op. Do not donate your old chains. While I'm not around, some misguided client will install and try to use that old chain. They will then suffer for several days of frustration with poor shifting and cog jumping. Then I'll be faced with 30 minutes of explaining the problem and ultimately installing a new chain.

Similar scenario: a local downtown homeless shelter calls and says they have 10 'leftover' bikes to donate, but we have to pick them up. Right - thanks but no thanks. Why should we waste our resources picking their crap up only to then have to make an hour-long beeline straight to the dump?
Here in Gainesville Florida if someone asked to come to the homeless shelter to pick up, would be down in a heartbeat. I see everything from junker WalMart bikes to decent Treks and name brands. Somewhere would be a couple. But then, we do have the homeless camp with a near new Mercedes which is parked by one of the tents.
Old 03-12-18, 06:22 AM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Forge weld them together and make a knife or other object.
Old 03-12-18, 06:40 AM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bnewberry
Forge weld them together and make a knife or other object.
You beat me to it.

Old 03-12-18, 08:29 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Back in my old neighborhood kids loved to throw them over power lines.
Old 03-12-18, 08:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Free your inner sculptor:

https://goo.gl/Vvr6AH
Old 03-12-18, 08:42 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I read that acid loving plants (blueberries, azaleas, etc.) often need iron. So I buried parts of old chains under my bushes.

I've run out of bushes, but still generate more worn-out chains. :/
Old 03-12-18, 09:11 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How much storage space do you have?

I just helped my son move this past week end. One thing that I observed is a tendency to store a lot of crap that we never use and that doesn't bring us joy - we just fill up our storage space with it because we own it. When we move, we move it with us to the new location and only then do we throw it away when we realize we don't have a good place to store it.

I have an acquaintance who is a hoarder. His house was so full of crap that I couldn't even walk through the living room. Don't be like that.
Old 03-12-18, 11:05 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
You could make a hat, a broach, a pterodactyl

Old 03-12-18, 09:34 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
use for hanging planters
Old 03-12-18, 10:46 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
Probably best to ask your local Co-op. Some can make good use of the chains for people too poor to buy anything and just need any old chain to get their bike working.
Right. We accept everything offered to us, just to be courteous. After an inspection, we have to chuck 90% of the donations, because they are unsafe, dysfunctional low-end crap. I estimate that half of the total volunteer resources at our Co-op are consumed on evaluating, breaking down and then discarding worthless donations.

Even worse are the folks who knowingly donate subtly broken components or bikes, in which we spend many hours per month installing these parts, only to find on a road test that:
  • The derailleur has a crack in the casting, or has a funny bend that cannot be fixed.
  • The frame that looks nice until we find it is corroded out from the inside. Or has a stuck seatpost or stem that will take us days to extract.
  • The STI shifters that look good superficially, but have cracked bodies underneath the hoods.
  • The hubs that have pitted cups or the rims with stress cracks around the nipples
  • Bent chainrings and worn-out cassettes.

So to all of the prospective bike and parts donors out there: thanks a lot for wasting our time while we drown in piles of broken and useless department store bikes, that will cost more to repair than they can be bought for new.

And thanks for the broken parts that lead to hours of frustration to install or the risk of someone killing themselves when your donated bars or stems or wheels fail.

This goes for used chains too. Every single time I've attempted to use a 'recycled' chain from our bin, it has been a frustrating waste of time, in that it is absurdly worn-out, or has bent/twisted links that cannot be fixed and cause all kinds of shifting problems.

We are a non-profit - basically a charity. In being too lazy to drop your stuff at the dump, you are materially harming our ability to service low-income clients who need bikes just to live..
Old 03-12-18, 10:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You could hang wind chimes from a few sections, attach them to an old chainring, just to be different.
Old 03-13-18, 02:31 PM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Right. We accept everything offered to us, just to be courteous. After an inspection, we have to chuck 90% of the donations, because they are unsafe, dysfunctional low-end crap. I estimate that half of the total volunteer resources at our Co-op are consumed on evaluating, breaking down and then discarding worthless donations.

Even worse are the folks who knowingly donate subtly broken components or bikes, in which we spend many hours per month installing these parts, only to find on a road test that:
  • The derailleur has a crack in the casting, or has a funny bend that cannot be fixed.
  • The frame that looks nice until we find it is corroded out from the inside. Or has a stuck seatpost or stem that will take us days to extract.
  • The STI shifters that look good superficially, but have cracked bodies underneath the hoods.
  • The hubs that have pitted cups or the rims with stress cracks around the nipples
  • Bent chainrings and worn-out cassettes.

So to all of the prospective bike and parts donors out there: thanks a lot for wasting our time while we drown in piles of broken and useless department store bikes, that will cost more to repair than they can be bought for new.

And thanks for the broken parts that lead to hours of frustration to install or the risk of someone killing themselves when your donated bars or stems or wheels fail.

This goes for used chains too. Every single time I've attempted to use a 'recycled' chain from our bin, it has been a frustrating waste of time, in that it is absurdly worn-out, or has bent/twisted links that cannot be fixed and cause all kinds of shifting problems.

We are a non-profit - basically a charity. In being too lazy to drop your stuff at the dump, you are materially harming our ability to service low-income clients who need bikes just to live..
Thank you for validating my suspicions. I've scrapped several crappy old "bike shaped objects" that were unusable for various reasons, and one of my friends said "you should have dropped them off at the local co-op!" Yeah, so they can use... the plastic platform pedals? Seeing as how those were about the only parts that were anything close to serviceable condition.
Old 03-13-18, 09:00 PM
fixedweasel

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Make a chain whip or bottle opener.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.