Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Prescription glasses for cycling?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Prescription glasses for cycling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-23, 07:00 PM
13ollocks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
What prescription glasses are folks wearing for cycling? Curious to know what is out there and folks experience. Searching online I see Oakleys are recommended, and they look like they have a big field of view, but what are some first hand accounts of whatever you are using?
I have a couple of pairs of prescription sunglasses - Ray-Bans - a casual pair with mild “shade” that could be worn anywhere and a darker more obviously “sporty” pair that I bought for sailing but work well on the bike. Which ones I wear depends on the brightness I'm encountering
Old 12-25-23, 02:43 PM
Jay Turberville

Bikes: 1995 Trek 990 (configured for road), Hotrodded Dahon folder, Trek 1400 (not ridden any more), Iron Horse 3.0 homebrew e-bike, 1984 Trek 770 (trying to resurrect)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinnems
What prescription glasses are folks wearing for cycling? Curious to know what is out there and folks experience. Searching online I see Oakleys are recommended, and they look like they have a big field of view, but what are some first hand accounts of whatever you are using?
I just use my regular day-to-day glasses. I used to use Bolle sunglasses that had a prescription insert behind the lens. But It was just too much hassle/expense to keep the prescription up-to-date given that my regular glasses seem to work fine. I do use a visor that I 3D printed to be extra long to help when the sun is low on the horizon and shield my face from harsh sunlight in summer.
Old 12-26-23, 12:05 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I googled the Tifosi reading sunglasses and like the looks of that solution if I do get cataract surgery. My eye doc said I was looking at that in the not too distant future and I haven't been back for a checkup for three years so I may be due by now. I don't want to rush into a surgery, but that one sounds like a good thing. I think some of my brothers had it by about my age (71).
For years I used my regular glasses to ride, with photo gray and then transitions lenses.

5 years ago I had cataract surgery. I’m sure lenses have improved since then, but I ended up with 2 different lens mfg that gave me a bit of monovision.

My right eye can see clear beginning at around 18”, but has a bit of midrange (4ft-10ft) clarity gap. But my left eye starts a little further out and picks up the midrange. Both are great at distances. Together this gives me pretty seamless clarity, with the exception of close range. That kinda stinks for wrenching, but I’ll use readers when I need to.

I now ride with Nike wrap around sunglasses.

John
Old 12-27-23, 03:41 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1965 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Contacts.
Likes For Yan:
Old 12-27-23, 07:04 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
I see this thread is rolling around again about the time I am about due for another trip to the eye doc. My Wiley X Twisted glasses are now about a year old. They are not cycing specific glasses but I have been pretty happy with mine. I wear an old pair of aviators in an old prescription (close enough that I don't notice any difference in the distance prescription and the reading one is close) when I need clear lenses.

I guess I will see what the doc recommends at this next visit wrt cataract surgery. Mine are ripe enough that it is an option and I am pretty sure he'd recomment it if I was complaining about night driving. I have mixed feelings about it and will get it when he recommends it. That will mean a complete reshuffling of my glasses setup.

If I wind up needing to spend a bundle replacing all my new glasses to upgrade my prescriptions this go round I may consider just going ahead with the surgery now. I might have to compare the costs in deciding. I won't cheap out, but it may be a factor in which way I go. The flexibility of not needing a prescription lense to ride would be a great plus on that side of the equation. It would be so nice to have nonprescription lenses that could be swapped for different conditions.

Last edited by staehpj1; 12-27-23 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-27-23, 11:29 AM
Trek1100FeltZ5

Bikes: Felt Z5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
When I first went to bifocals, I had a pair of sunglasses configured to the just the distant correction, thinking that would be all I needed on a ride. Boy, was that stupid!
Old 12-27-23, 03:21 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I just wear my regular prescription glasses with sunglasses which clip on to them.
I did that on my previous prescription, but it seemed to scratch the front surface of the lenses. I’ve just worn this prescription plain and they are doing great.

I use a basic Trek helmet with a visor so the sun is generally not an issue. And most all eyewear blocks UV. It costs extra to get lens materials that pass UV.

Otto
Old 12-27-23, 06:06 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek1100FeltZ5
When I first went to bifocals, I had a pair of sunglasses configured to the just the distant correction, thinking that would be all I needed on a ride. Boy, was that stupid!
This is what I have done so far, and it has worked for me, but my prescription and need for up-close adjustment has changed enough that my next pair of sunglasses may have the bifocal just as my regular glasses do. I had to get computer glasses this time around, which sucked because I didn’t have the money to get those and a new pair of regular glasses or sunglasses and had to continue with the old ones. Does make the daily office work less straining on the eyes, though.
Old 12-29-23, 10:55 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
There are so many choices out there. Oakley is only one.

I wear the P-17 glasses.

https://www.wileyx.com/prescription
I am curious about these glasses. I have two pairs of Oakley and don’t like either one.
On one of them the arms come up too high and are very rigid. When I put on my helmet it pushes on the arms causing the frames to push against my face. Do you find the P17 have enough clearance for your helmet? Also I use a bike peddler clip on rear view mirror. It looks like the arms on the P17 might work with it. On my other pair of Oakleys it does not stay on and had to use silicone tape to keep it in place.
Old 12-29-23, 10:58 AM
PaulJensen

Bikes: 1970 Peugeot PX-10 - Ibis Cousin It tandem - Zizzo Liberte folding bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
My prescription glasses have the auto-darkening feature, but not polarized… After a long ride on a bright day my eyes were so tire because the darker lenses caused my pupils to be bigger, but the lack of UV protection let in rays that hurt… I switched to a pair of prescription *sunglasses* that were a few years old but really filter the bad rays nicely…
Old 12-29-23, 11:15 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
OP would seem to be talking about near-sighted correction lenses. Some have replied regarding far-sighted correction (bi-focal or progressive). I use these bi-focal safety glasses available on Amazon and many other sources. Quite reasonable, polycarbonate lenses, various strengths, in grey or brown lens for sunny days (I prefer the brown for improved contrast). There is a Yellow lens option that is actually quite good for improved contrast and reduced haze on overcast & hazy days.
Old 12-29-23, 11:35 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by geneg
Any updates for 2023/2024? Any non overprised sugestions? Thanks
I've had good luck with Zenni Optical online. I have a fairly straightforward Rx ( that's been stable for many years) and had the measurements of a good -fitting existing pair, so I'm pretty confident that a pair ordered online will fit correctly.

They have a pretty good selection of frames, and the lenses are fairly reasonable.Lot of tint colors are available as well as polarized/mirrored and photochromic options (for a little more $$)

I have several pairs, both sunglasses and daily wear glasses, and depending on the options, they came out between $80-$110 per pair
Old 01-01-24, 12:37 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by geneg
Any updates for 2023/2024? Any non overprised sugestions? Thanks
I have a pair of Bliz glasses for XC skiing because the don't fog easily. The lens coverage is huge which is good if it's snowing. I haven't checked into prescription lenses (the lenses are replaceable), but I do put stick-on cheaters on them. Haven't used them for cycling since the Oakleys I mentioned in 2022 above are still in good shape.
Old 01-07-24, 05:28 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Tri Focals from Sears.
Those look great! Still an Optical Department under Sears?
Old 01-07-24, 06:01 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 756 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
I am curious about these glasses. I have two pairs of Oakley and don’t like either one.
On one of them the arms come up too high and are very rigid. When I put on my helmet it pushes on the arms causing the frames to push against my face. Do you find the P17 have enough clearance for your helmet? Also I use a bike peddler clip on rear view mirror. It looks like the arms on the P17 might work with it. On my other pair of Oakleys it does not stay on and had to use silicone tape to keep it in place.
My Wiley X are the Twisted model. They look like they would be similar to the P17 in regard to how they would interface with the helmet and mine heve not had any issues with interfering with their fit because of the helmet (Smith Forefront 2). The Twisted have a real wide earpiece that probably wouldn't work with your mirror, but the P17 looks like it would be fine. Best to verify by trying them on though.

This is where buying local has an advantage. Take your helmet and mirror with you when choosing. Or order them in and try before commiting if possible. I probably paid more by buying locally from the eye doc, but could try them on with helmet before choosing since they had a variety of Wiley X models in stock. My eye doc is a mountain biker and recommended them or I wouldn't have even heard of the brand, but as it turned out I liked them.
Old 01-07-24, 12:04 PM
flan48

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 2

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
I've had good luck with Zenni Optical online. I have a fairly straightforward Rx ( that's been stable for many years) and had the measurements of a good -fitting existing pair, so I'm pretty confident that a pair ordered online will fit correctly.

They have a pretty good selection of frames, and the lenses are fairly reasonable.Lot of tint colors are available as well as polarized/mirrored and photochromic options (for a little more $$)

I have several pairs, both sunglasses and daily wear glasses, and depending on the options, they came out between $80-$110 per pair
I just learned about Zenni very recently. I ordered bifocal glasses from them, as a back-up, and specifically for cycling and exercise in general. I also have a couple of pairs of "sunglasses over glasses". One can get them from "Cocoons", rather expensive, or a knock off from Walgreens, CVS, etc. They do a good job of blocking wind, and the frames are the right thickness for the attachment of mirrors such as Third Eye.

Best regards
Old 01-07-24, 12:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Those look great! Still an Optical Department under Sears?
According to Wikipedia, there are only 13 locations remaining.

I was shocked to see this one near Newport, VT in 2022. As the sign notes, it was in the process of closing.

Old 01-09-24, 12:00 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 288 Posts
I've been using Oakley's Flak Jacket prescription glasses for years. I have the clear lenses for dark rides and the prism lenses for sunny conditions. I love the fit and the clear, undistorted field of vision they provide...

Old 01-14-24, 12:11 PM
dmanders

Bikes: 14 F8, 21 F12

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Maui Jim progressive lens in brown work perfectly for me.
Old 01-16-24, 11:48 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I bought wrap around frames with progressive bifocal lenses from opticalfactor.com. I got the Gabe model frame. The prescription was accurate. They only cost $92 with a first time buyer discount.

I get adds for reks.com on Facebook also. They have several wrap around frames.

I bought Oakley half jacket frames 3 years ago. They've been great, but from sportrx.com they now retail for $977 with progressive bifocal lenses. I'd need a big discount to buy those again. I paid under $400 with some help from VSP. VSP vision insurance provides little discount with sport Rx.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 01-18-24 at 10:15 AM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-16-24, 12:06 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
I don't like wearing my regular glasses while riding. They are too fragile and, in the cold, the metal frames cause problems. Also, if riding on dusty gravel or similar, the lenses can get scratched.

When I don't need sunglasses (i.e., riding in the dark, overcast days, rain), I wear my Rudy Project glasses without the shaded lenses - just the prescription inserts. Works great.
Old 01-17-24, 08:42 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
I use prescription sun glasses with progressive lenses. The lenses are polarized and supposed to be shatter proof.
Old 01-22-24, 10:56 AM
andydallas

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My main hobby is flying remote control airplanes, you HAVE to have great glasses for that (yes the planes can be very big but the bigger they are the farther you tend to fly them from you. I have sunglsases in 3 different shades and then clear, but glasses are very cheap compared to planes. I bought two pair of 'cycling' sunglsses from a website I have used before, about $120 each, but ince I have had cataract surgery a few years ago, my prescription tends to stay the same for a long time. Polarized are generally better, but there are times a light tint is better based on plane color and clouds,,,lets face it for cycling we need to see, but I can ride without perscription if I have to
Old 01-25-24, 01:56 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
My distance vision is still good but because of astigmatism, I cannot read distant signs, which is more relevant for the night time driving in unfamiliar areas. For reading, for a while I could manage by moving paper farther away until my arms got too short. Hence the need for progressively ground lenses.
Do you play with battery operated model planes or are some of them gas powered too?
Old 01-26-24, 12:30 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I was lucky in that SportRX is located nearby.
Went there and they have a great selection.
I went with Bolle Anaconda and got a $50 discount.
These replaced my Oakley Fives Squared which were problematic.
Really happy with the glasses and they work well with my clip on mirror.
Cost was about half of the last pair I got through my optometrist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.