Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seatpost shims - any particular disadvantages?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-18, 01:31 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, I have a CX bike with alu frame and 31.6mm seatpost diameter, currently using an alu seat post. I love the bike, but, as you'd expect, the ride is a little harsh. So I've been contemplating the idea of getting a 27.2mm carbon seatpost and using it with a seatpost shim to soften things up a little bit.

Do you think it'll be worth the effort? And are there any potential drawbacks to such a setup?
Any advice much appreciated, thanks!
Old 01-31-18, 01:43 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4426 Post(s)
Liked 4,534 Times in 3,032 Posts
I am wondering the same thing. All my bikes have 27.2 seatpost and I have a Boris X7 FatBike on the way with a 30.4 searpost. I have a few higher end seatposts in my parts bin that are 27.2 and a shim is cheap but I wonder if it would comprise strength and stability or just rattle and not seat properly.
Old 01-31-18, 06:21 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
How much compliance do you think you are going to get from a carbon seat post? I'm thinking very, very little if any.
Old 01-31-18, 06:43 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
I tend to agree, unless its very long. Have any tests been performed with an accelerometer? Maybe a plastic shim may add to the compliance. Im betting a more compliant seat and fatter tyres with lower pressure is likely to do more for comfort. At least that is what my experience tells me.
Old 01-31-18, 06:53 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I used one on my mtn bike for a bit then swapped it to my GF's CX bike so she could use a nice Thompson i had sitting around. It works fine and you won't notice it's there unless you think about it. weather the other post will help or not is up to you. cheap to try though.
Old 01-31-18, 07:19 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Seatpost shims are generally OK. Heck, I even have a bike (a '72 Peugeot UO-8) that came from the factory with one.

But... With a shim, the load from the seat post may be concentrated at the top 2" or so of the seat tube. Without a shim, the post is likely to be in contact with the seat tube for a longer length, so it would be better supported and less likely to cause the seat tube to crack or bend.

For the CX bike, if you're going to purchase a seatpost, why not purchase one that's the right size?
Old 01-31-18, 07:48 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
They add another opportunity for 'mystery creaking sound'

and the seatpost feels harsh, because you're sitting on it for situations where you ought to be out of the saddle
arms and legs have way better compliance
Old 01-31-18, 10:56 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How much compliance do you think you are going to get from a carbon seat post? I'm thinking very, very little if any.
Exactly. Though there *is* the "placebo effect"...
The OP would be better off, IMO, getting a suspension seatpost such as the Cane Creek "ThudBuster". I have the "long-travel" (LT) version on my winter bike, and it does a pretty good job of smoothing out bumps. It's a little big, though, and I suspect the "short-travel" (ST) version would work as well. They are a little pricey, but there's a lot more compliance than a carbon fiber post would provide. This video gives an idea of how it works (strange point of view!):
Steve

EDIT: Also maybe look into lowering your tire pressure, or even fitting slightly wider tires.
Old 01-31-18, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have several bikes with seat post sizing shims, all nicely machined, my latest bike , a Bike Friday Season Tikit,

I used my 25.0mm seat post with a shim sleeve to 27.2, inside the existing, shim sleeve, so it has 2 in it.

It works very well ..

you may want a suspension seat post such as the Cane Creek Thudbuster, (2 of my bikes have those, 1,LT, 1, ST)

In Madrid, the EU, , German Air Wings posts will be available .. It came on my Koga WTR.. a 7005 alloy frame

I replaced it primarily because it was a zero set back design and I wanted to move my saddle back more than it allowed..

It was fitted with a shim sleeve at the NL factory..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-31-18 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 11:30 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
I also had a bike come with a shim as standard - I suspect they only wanted to stock one seat post size for multiple bike styles.

It was nicer than I would've expected, it was 3 or 4 inches long, and caused no problems - it was used with an aluminum seat post.

Old 01-31-18, 11:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
USE, a British company made spring & elastomer seat posts in 25.0 then a 27.2, and made shim sleeves for other frame needs..

I used 1 , keeping my <C> Super record seat post when I sold the AlAn frame it fit in. reused 1st in a steel frame..

Old 01-31-18, 12:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I have moved a favorite CF seatpost from bike to bike several times using a USE thermoplastic shim. It's inexpensive and works perfectly. Another benefit is not having to worry about the galvanic welding issue with a CF/Al interface.
Old 02-01-18, 02:17 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies. Seems like generally the shims don't cause too much trouble, so might be worth a try. And yes, I know you have to get out of the saddle a lot when riding in the dirt and I also use wide and soft tires, but hay, there's always room for improvement and I like trying out stuff