Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Looking for something that will text contacts in case of a crash.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-18, 09:36 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts

I used to use Icedot but it would not work with my new phone. Is there anything else out there that will send a text message to contacts if I should crash and trip the sensor. I really do not something that will trigger messages if I stay in place for to long. Seems like that would trigger some false messages.
Thanks
Brian
Old 06-13-18, 08:54 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
I see what you did there. It worked by the way.
Old 06-13-18, 09:09 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I've only tried the road id app on android and iphone. I have experienced some issues with my sister not being able to clink into the link to see the live update in the past. I tried to use it for the drive up to her place in that case. So it might have issues for some, but might be worth a try. I don't see how the app could differentiate between a crash and being stopped for "longer than usual." The road id app just has an option to text someone when you have stopped for more than X minutes.
Old 06-13-18, 10:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Garmin has this feature on some computers. I have it on my Garmin 520 called incident detection. I have it set up but never tested it and never had it give a call either. I should probably test it.
Old 06-13-18, 01:55 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Since you said you don't want something that does the RoadID app thing (text if stationary for more than X minutes), only thing else I can think of would be like what @sdmc530 said... a computer that does it. As mentioned, the 520, also I believe 820 and 1030 do it. I know that the 1000 (what I have) does not. Not sure about the new 130 or whatever it is that just got released or about anything from Wahoo.
Old 06-13-18, 06:27 PM
Bmach

The ice dot uses g forces to to trigger the message after the delay that you set. So if you crash and set the delay for 45 seconds after that time it notifies your contacts. During the delay you can reset it if you are ok and nothing is sent.

The ones that that go off of stationary time means you could be laying in a ditch for a while before a message is sent or you have to reset before the message is sent.

I will look into what garmin offers.

thanks
Old 06-13-18, 06:40 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I don't know that I'd want to use a system which sends the message based on the phone being stationary. If you're on a group ride to have lunch at a restaurant and rest your phone on the table while you visit & eat, for example, the alert might go out if you don't forget to move your phone around.
Old 06-14-18, 09:22 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 526 Posts
I can easily envision a scenario where you are rattled enough after going down hard enough to trigger the sensor but not hard enough to be incapacitated, I can easily see someone forgetting to transmit the 'all clear'. It would be ironic I think to be killed instead by an irate spouse initially overjoyed to learn of your demise who then finds out it was a false alarm. I had no idea devices like this existed, and I feel sorry for anyone who gets suckered into enriching the inventors. Let me guess, the software communicates with the SMS service via a server for which the consumer pays an ongoing subscription? Me, I only have 10 or 15 years of good cycling left. Someone much younger ...could add up ... I don't know ... seems like not crashing in the first place? Works for me.
Old 06-14-18, 11:46 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have a group rider who took a header last winter, hit his head was out cold. Survived but lucky he wasn’t seriously hurt and he didn’t freeze to death. I think this is not waisted tech. My Garmin deal is free and with the breadcrumb feature it’s a good deal IMO. I would rather play it safe or maybe get embarrassed than get dead!
Old 06-21-18, 09:02 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I can easily envision a scenario where you are rattled enough after going down hard enough to trigger the sensor but not hard enough to be incapacitated, I can easily see someone forgetting to transmit the 'all clear'. It would be ironic I think to be killed instead by an irate spouse initially overjoyed to learn of your demise who then finds out it was a false alarm. I had no idea devices like this existed, and I feel sorry for anyone who gets suckered into enriching the inventors. Let me guess, the software communicates with the SMS service via a server for which the consumer pays an ongoing subscription? Me, I only have 10 or 15 years of good cycling left. Someone much younger ...could add up ... I don't know ... seems like not crashing in the first place? Works for me.
Yeah, everyone chooses "not crashing" as their first choice... until it happens.
Old 06-21-18, 10:59 AM
ExPatTyke

Bikes: Gitane Course, Paris Sport, Peugeot AO8, Peugeot Bretagne, Peugeot Premiere 85, Peugeot Premiere 86, Peugeot ANC Halfords Team Replica, Peugeot Festina Team Replica, Motobecane Grand Sport, Motobecane Super 15, Raleigh Pro Race, Raleigh Stratos, BSA

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 427 Times in 90 Posts
I can certainly see a use for this. Friend of mine had a crash last year. Not too serious, but he slid over on a corner, ended up in a rhyne, and had to drag himself out and back up the bank, soaking wet and covered in mud. Told me about it a few days later, we laughed, but it could have been much more serious. He said he really struggled to get out and back up the bank. If it'd been a cold winter evening, there's every chance he wouldn't have got out or been found until it was too late.

For what it's worth I use Strava beacon so my wife can track me on commutes and rides when I'm alone. And yes, before anyone comments I know I'm paying good money to tell my wife where I am
Old 06-21-18, 11:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,710 Times in 7,386 Posts
Originally Posted by ExPatTyke
I can certainly see a use for this. Friend of mine had a crash last year. Not too serious, but he slid over on a corner, ended up in a rhyne, and had to drag himself out and back up the bank, soaking wet and covered in mud. Told me about it a few days later, we laughed, but it could have been much more serious. He said he really struggled to get out and back up the bank. If it'd been a cold winter evening, there's every chance he wouldn't have got out or been found until it was too late.
Yeah. It can happen. Guy I used to know crashed solo and went down a small hill into the woods. He was out of sight of passing motorists and was unconscious for a while. Finally dragged himself back up to the road and flagged down a car.

I say "used to know" because he's dead now. A few years ago he was taking some warm up laps before a CX race. Veered off course and crashed head first into a tree. I think his physical abilities had deteriorated due to age to a point where he should have given up things like CX racing, and possibly riding all together. Another old riding pal of mine decided to do that (with the "help" of his wife) after one too many bike crashes and then a walking fall while visiting Prague. His doctor told him his next crash could be his last. He now does only indoor training classes.
Old 06-21-18, 11:47 AM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I'm interested in these but the price is a bit steep... May be next Christmas present for front and rear light

https://seesense.cc/products/see-sense-icon-rear-light
Old 06-21-18, 12:49 PM
genec
genec

It seems to me a smartphone app should be able to detect sudden G forces, a noticeable pause in movement, and then trigger a local audible alarm and flashing... which if not responded to, would result in MAYDAY texts being send out with Lat and Long info.

All the detectors are there, just needs an app.

Jeeze, if I were only a software geek... sigh.
Old 06-21-18, 01:33 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10182 Post(s)
Liked 5,885 Times in 3,171 Posts
Obviously a great thing for isolated settings, but my spouse would probably rather find out from a definitive phone call, after they cut my shirt off and read my "I belong to..." tag, than have to wait 45 agonizing minutes for it after a text with a location, not knowing how bad it is or where the EMS is going to transport me.
Old 06-25-18, 07:37 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I have a OneLifeID band that I wear on my wrist when I'm out running in case I collapse. It's a bright, soft strap that contains a phone number to call in case of emergency. Using the pin number on the underside of the label, someone can connect up to the OneLifeID site to get some more basic information about you.

If you ever were unfortunate enough to become incapacitated whilst out cycling or running, the wrist band will be very obvious to anyone who discovers you.

Yes, it's an old tech system but it's probably one that will work more often than not.

https://www.onelifeid.com
Old 06-25-18, 09:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
It seems to me a smartphone app should be able to detect sudden G forces, a noticeable pause in movement, and then trigger a local audible alarm and flashing... which if not responded to, would result in MAYDAY texts being send out with Lat and Long info.

All the detectors are there, just needs an app.

Jeeze, if I were only a software geek... sigh.
The Hovding airbag helmet does it, based on movement during a crash. It would be an interesting Android app project, but it would need to be tested extensively with different types of crashes which is kind of problematic.
Old 06-25-18, 09:57 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Have you actually contacted ICEdot support to make sure it won't work with your phone? Their website says it works on the latest IOS or android versions 4.3 or later, which is several years old now and new androids have later versions.
Old 06-27-18, 09:14 PM
Bmach

Yes I have they even sent me a new sensor. If was no better than the original.
Old 06-28-18, 09:26 AM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
A similar crash detection thread was raised in a motorcycle forum re: accelerometers in satellite trackers (Inreach/Spot).
Someone mention an App 'EatSleepRide' that has this feature, but of course would be limited to cell service areas. No experience with it personally, and not sure if the motorcycle/bicycle speed differential matters.

This risk is very high with motorcycles as they often carry enough momentum to slide off the road unseen into the woods, but same could be true of a solo bicyclist decending mountain switchbacks (as evidenced by the recent death of a woman cyclist in the Green Mountains). I personally use an Inreach for motorcyle riding which sees more rural use where cell service is iffy, however you need to conscious to send for help... or wait to be considered missing and then tracked via breadcrumb trail. Don't use it bicycling as I'm usually in more populated areas with cell service and people to help me, and I'm way to lazy to climb mountains .
Old 07-01-18, 11:18 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Perhaps a simple idea would be some variant on the "dead man switch." There have been various mechanisms in use on rail locomotives, in case the engineer drops dead while the train is running. They have to activate some kind of sensor every few minutes, or the train stops. There are similar controls on some kinds of heavy industrial machinery to prevent accidental activation. Detecting the absence of a basic signal after a certain time duration would seem easier than trying to interpret the data from a bunch of force sensors.
Old 07-05-18, 06:38 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Perhaps a simple idea would be some variant on the "dead man switch." There have been various mechanisms in use on rail locomotives, in case the engineer drops dead while the train is running. They have to activate some kind of sensor every few minutes, or the train stops. There are similar controls on some kinds of heavy industrial machinery to prevent accidental activation. Detecting the absence of a basic signal after a certain time duration would seem easier than trying to interpret the data from a bunch of force sensors.
Uh, that would require paying attention to something, when and while you are trying to pay attention to "driving" and are NOT on rails, as in the example you mentioned.

The accelerometers in a phone should be good enough to determine some sort of "event" has occurred... couple that with a "dead man" request for response, which if not met in a certain period, then results in the alarm being sounded and texting action being triggered.