Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-20, 04:03 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,983 Times in 1,736 Posts
Old 02-29-20, 04:12 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I do have the Bosch router, but I haven't even opened the box yet, so I only have a general idea of what you're talking about. I'll keep it in mind when get around to opening/mounting in a couple days, through.
The table comes with a long T shaped Allen screw, with which you can lower/raise the bit from the top of the table. Instead, just reach under the table and adjust it from the knob on the router base and you should be perfectly fine. I used it like that for almost two years, the first time I decided to use the table top adjustment, the tiny snap ring came loose.

Also, I recommend a spare base so you can keep it attached to the table at all times. It’s a huge time saver. Bosch even has a dedicated SKU that doesn’t have the wooden globe handles and the plastic base plate. It was money well spent in my case.

Edit: Got it! Bosch RA1165, fits evs1617.

Last edited by kissTheApex; 02-29-20 at 04:24 PM.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 02-29-20, 04:18 PM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
And if there’s a bottle of hand sanitizer to be bought in this town, we sure as hell can’t find it.
there isn’t! Costco pharmacy aisles were like a gladiator arena this afternoon . And every cart on the check out line had at least a bundle of bottled water. I felt like I was missing out on the public frenzy.
Old 02-29-20, 04:27 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
The table comes with a long T shaped Allen screw, with which you can lower/raise the bit from the top of the table. Instead, just reach under the table and adjust it from the knob on the router base and you should be perfectly fine. I used it like that for almost two years, the first time I decided to use the table top adjustment, the tiny snap ring came loose.
Ah, okay - got it.

Also, I recommend a spare base so you can keep it attached to the table at all times. It’s a huge time saver. Bosch even has a dedicated SKU that doesn’t have the wooden globe handles and the plastic base plate. It was money well spent in my case.
Hmmmm. Actually, I think that the package that I ordered came with a plunge base in addition to the standard base. If so, any reason that I can't just leave the standard one on the table and just use the other out and about?
Old 02-29-20, 04:35 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
We are currently staying in a condo on the Disney property in Orlando surrounded by sniffling kids (and adults), not to mention being travelers from all over the planet. If there is a Florida Coronovirus outbreak, I figure it will be here first. I've never washed my hands so much in my life.
Ok here is my take on Corona virus. We’ll see how correct I am after this whole thing plays out, and we have more info.

1. Because random cases are popping up all over with no known contact with an ill person, I surmise that many people become infected but never get sick. They are contagious without signs of illness.

2. So far, it seems people with any prexisting illness, and older people, are more likely to get sick from this virus and also more likely to die.

3. Since this seems to be a novel virus, there is no herd immunity yet. Eventually this will occur, in the next few years. Disease manifestions in the next few years may be different (probably more severe) than they ultimately will be.

4. If a vaccine can be developed, this could help tremendously. Probably won’t occur on a meaningful timeline, but there’s a chance.

5. Being a respiratory virus, there’s a decent chance we’ll get a disease break when the weather warms up. Many respiratory viruses are more common in the winter because they replicate best at lower temperatures.

My takehome message right now is that anyone with chronic disease, including asthma or other chronic respiratory disease, should stay home to the extent possible, and avoid contacts with even seemingly healthy people. Obviously most people can’t do this but if a person is retired or works from home or whatever, I’d personally recommend hunkering down at home as much as is practical.

Feline coronavirus is nothing new. Most cats that are infected never exhibit signs of illness, or they exhibit a mild gastrointestinal illness. A small percentage go on to develop a chronic fatal systemic infection the clinical manifestations of which seem largely to relate to the interplay of the cats immune system with the virus. Ie the patients immune response is half of the problem.

But what do I know really? Just a veterinarian and not one who is particularly knowledgeable about epidemiology and virology.
Old 02-29-20, 04:37 PM
kissTheApex

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Hmmmm. Actually, I think that the package that I ordered came with a plunge base in addition to the standard base. If so, any reason that I can't just leave the standard one on the table and just use the other out and about?
No valid reason not to. I just liked the simplicity of the fixed base (not to mention I feel more in control with the spherical handles) and only use the plunge base when I need the plunge functionality.

Almost 100% of the time, I hollow out cavities with a large forstner bit on the drill press and then use the router to clean up, so plunge base rarely gets use.
Likes For kissTheApex:
Old 02-29-20, 04:37 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Originally Posted by datlas
Nah. They are a bunch of quacks.
I believe the proper term is “witch doctor”.
Old 02-29-20, 04:43 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,983 Times in 1,736 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Per @DougRNS's request. No more rain expected so these are the final results.

congratulations on 2nd place, at least it was a Podium for you.
Old 02-29-20, 04:45 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

We just spent 26 hours at Disneyland- quickie overnight trip. Figured we might as well get the coronavirus exposure over and done with, lol.

We had a great time, one of those trips where everything just went well, despite gnarly crowds.

Got out for a nice 3 hr ride this morning. Free form ride up into the mountains with some friends. JRA with 45 total minutes at 105+%. Beautiful day. Total was 30ish miles/3000ish feet climbing. Coffee afterward. Didn’t eat much before during or after (starting a little post-Disneyland caloric atonement).

Likes For Heathpack:
Old 02-29-20, 05:04 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
there isn’t! Costco pharmacy aisles were like a gladiator arena this afternoon . And every cart on the check out line had at least a bundle of bottled water. I felt like I was missing out on the public frenzy.
Wife found a few little bottles at Whole Foods, which we will use on our upcoming trip to the UK. Otherwise we will make due with disinfecting skin wipes.
Old 02-29-20, 05:22 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13713 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Strava or it didn’t happen.
I forgot to push start. Could have been the fever.
Old 02-29-20, 05:24 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
O
But what do I know really? Just a veterinarian and not one who is particularly knowledgeable about epidemiology and virology.
One heck of a lot than I do, that's for sure.

Now, if you need someone to chip seal or overlay a road, call me.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-29-20, 05:27 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
We just spent 26 hours at Disneyland- quickie overnight trip. Figured we might as well get the coronavirus exposure over and done with, lol.
Well, that makes two of us at possible ground zero. Eek!

Old 02-29-20, 05:32 PM
kissTheApex

Wife found a few little bottles at Whole Foods, which we will use on our upcoming trip to the UK. Otherwise we will make due with disinfecting skin wipes.
We were looking to get a big big bottle with a pump top for our 8 year old’s schools class. Amazon seems to be out till March 28th
Old 02-29-20, 05:38 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Ok here is my take on Corona virus. We’ll see how correct I am after this whole thing plays out, and we have more info.

1. Because random cases are popping up all over with no known contact with an ill person, I surmise that many people become infected but never get sick. They are contagious without signs of illness.

2. So far, it seems people with any prexisting illness, and older people, are more likely to get sick from this virus and also more likely to die.

3. Since this seems to be a novel virus, there is no herd immunity yet. Eventually this will occur, in the next few years. Disease manifestions in the next few years may be different (probably more severe) than they ultimately will be.

4. If a vaccine can be developed, this could help tremendously. Probably won’t occur on a meaningful timeline, but there’s a chance.

5. Being a respiratory virus, there’s a decent chance we’ll get a disease break when the weather warms up. Many respiratory viruses are more common in the winter because they replicate best at lower temperatures.

My takehome message right now is that anyone with chronic disease, including asthma or other chronic respiratory disease, should stay home to the extent possible, and avoid contacts with even seemingly healthy people. Obviously most people can’t do this but if a person is retired or works from home or whatever, I’d personally recommend hunkering down at home as much as is practical.

Feline coronavirus is nothing new. Most cats that are infected never exhibit signs of illness, or they exhibit a mild gastrointestinal illness. A small percentage go on to develop a chronic fatal systemic infection the clinical manifestations of which seem largely to relate to the interplay of the cats immune system with the virus. Ie the patients immune response is half of the problem.

Your conjectures are all reasonable. The concern is that since it’s a novel virus with a fairly high attack rate, there is a good chance the initial outbreaks will be hard to contain. That may cause the public health people to initiate draconian measures like closing many places where people congregate. If it’s inevitable that this will eventually circulate everywhere that probably won’t work well and will cause mucho fear in the population as a whole. And even though mortality “only” 1-2%, 2% of a big outbreak is still a lot of people.

It’s way too early to make accurate predictions about what the final results will be.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-29-20, 05:39 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,860 Times in 3,154 Posts
We were looking to get a big big bottle with a pump top for our 8 year old’s schools class. Amazon seems to be out till March 28th
I think I read that they took > 1,000,000 hygiene-related items offline because of price gouging.
Old 02-29-20, 05:42 PM
kissTheApex

I think I read that they took > 1,000,000 hygiene-related items offline because of price gouging.
Makes sense.
Old 02-29-20, 05:57 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,758 Times in 2,767 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
King Crimson reference?

Kudos
Indeed. Always loved the name of that album, and it went pretty far out there, in comparison to their earlier stuff.
Old 02-29-20, 06:01 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I read somewhere that often Vets have a fuller understanding of medical issues because they are trained to deal with many different animals.
Old 02-29-20, 06:29 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I got the drill press unboxed, assembled and running. Oh yes - this one is going to be fun.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-29-20, 06:39 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Originally Posted by berner
I read somewhere that often Vets have a fuller understanding of medical issues because they are trained to deal with many different animals.
We actually do have very lots of big mucho time spent in vet school on infectious diseases in a variety of species, epidemiology, public health, zoonotic diseases, etc. We also actually also take a professional oath that an explicit part of our mandate is to maintain public health, and if there is ever a conflict between animal & human health, we are trained that humans come first.

As an underclassman in vet school, I was super interested in epidemiology and public health, and I seriously considered pursuing a masters or PhD in public health. I wasn’t quite sure what my career path would have looked like if I took that direction, and then I became even more interested in neurology. So I went down that path and never looked back...
Old 02-29-20, 07:03 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I think I am slowly getting better. Earlier today my resting heart rate was in the 70s. It normally is in the 40's. It's back into the 50's so I am thinking my cytokine storm is winding down. I hope so. It's been quite unpleasant. It's not been severe but still quite the nuisance.
Likes For datlas:
Old 02-29-20, 07:06 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13713 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,506 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Indeed. Always loved the name of that album, and it went pretty far out there, in comparison to their earlier stuff.
Goes well with whisky and a fever.

#donttrythisathome
Old 02-29-20, 08:03 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11401 Post(s)
Liked 4,758 Times in 2,767 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28

#donttrythisathome
Oh my. I can imagine....
Old 02-29-20, 08:19 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12769 Post(s)
Liked 7,684 Times in 4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28

#donttrythisathome
Whiskey makes for an excellent hand sanitizer in a pinch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.