Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

CO2 litterbugs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-18, 09:56 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Yep, see them all over the streets of Detroit. Ran over one on the bridge to Belle Isle, that got lodged into an expansion joint oddly, and went for a ride. There is absolutely no reason to either stick them in your jersey or put them back where they were stored.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Perhaps they are not from cyclists but rather from people with CO2 "powered" firearms.
Nah, they're from cyclists. I don't doubt those also get discarded in a littering fashion, but where they are used and where I ride do not coincide.

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
one of the reasons i use real fruit when touring, pears, apples, oranges and occasionally bananas is so i can discretely discard them where they will biodegrade. i would never drop packaging anywhere but the core of a piece of fruit does no real harm in the weeds on the roadside in my personal opinion. just as i wouldnt mind one being dropped in my yard. dogpoop is another thing entirely....
Depends on where I am. Country road with lots of rural wood or farm land? Sure. On the edge of the asphalt on a busy MUP? There is no environmental impact, but it does make a mess and make the place look like crap.

I.e., like you I get it somewhere someone isn't going to see it.

Originally Posted by aplcr0331
Well, did you pick them up?
If I happened to be stopped and can easily grab it, I generally will. Other than that, it is not really my job to clean up after others, and I don't have enough pockets to pick up that many cartridges some days.
Old 02-01-18, 02:55 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
the whole cartridge thing seems so expensive and wasteful to me. a good frame pump isnt that expensive. my park rocks!
Old 02-01-18, 06:43 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10167 Post(s)
Liked 5,862 Times in 3,155 Posts
Suprised no one has mentioned the tradition of tossing beat sew-ups onto tree branches after puncturing them. People I rode with back in the 70s and 80s certainly did it. Yes, patently antisocial.
Old 02-01-18, 09:04 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
the whole cartridge thing seems so expensive and wasteful to me. a good frame pump isnt that expensive. my park rocks!

You can get CO2 in bulk for $1/cart....so a lifetime supply for less than a good frame pump.

Sure beats pending 10 minutes huffing working a handpump or framepump in a rainstorm only to rupture the tube at the valve disconnecting the pump when you're flustered and in a hurry.
Old 02-02-18, 06:43 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
You can get CO2 in bulk for $1/cart....so a lifetime supply for less than a good frame pump.

Sure beats pending 10 minutes huffing working a handpump or framepump in a rainstorm only to rupture the tube at the valve disconnecting the pump when you're flustered and in a hurry.
i paid 25.00 for the park and i know i've had at least 25 flats over my lifetime. i havnt fixed that many with the park though. i do huff and puff on the bike however so a little huffing off it is ok.
Old 02-02-18, 07:12 AM
GoMtnBiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
Littering is wrong but, my wife and I disagree on the banana peels. I say a toss of a peel in the grass and away from the path is good for the environemnt where she thinks it is littering.
If a banana falls off a tree without being eaten and tossed in a landfill, is it littering? Or an apple or core? I agree with you. It is nature and by definition biodegradable.

And I would say for that little bit of earth where the banana peel lands it is probably helpful for the tiny life forms to have that little bit more of organic material.

Last edited by GoMtnBiking; 02-02-18 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 07:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
and whatever CO2 canisters are made from, also comes out of the ground. That's nature, right?
Old 02-02-18, 07:36 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
a bag from McDonald's will probably decompose faster than banana peel. paper decomposes, is it OK to dump it?

littering use to be not a big deal. Late 60's, 70's, people threw a lot of trash out of their cars. the highways looked pretty bad

we, as a society, decided that was no longer OK to do. we cleaned up the roadsides and even made laws that severely punish litterers

would hate to think that we are going back to thinking it's OK again

littering is basically a disregard for other people, and a borderline personality flaw

maybe put some signs up to remind them not to litter
Old 02-02-18, 07:43 AM
GoMtnBiking

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not saying whether I throw banana peels or not, especially if a trash container is right there. I do not. But it does not make sense that a banana peel, pulled straight off a tree, is trash. It is not comparable to manmade mixtures and products.

Is a blueberry litter? A rotting pumpkin in a patch? Those and bananas cannot really be equated as litter.

The natural course for a banana and peel is to fall on the ground, similar to all fruits. Fruit falling on the ground is not trash and cannot be equated to manmade metals and products.

Last edited by GoMtnBiking; 02-02-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 07:45 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I do throw banana peels, so am not judging. To me any actual food is ok to dump, just not the wrapper
Old 02-02-18, 08:09 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
I haven't been cycling long, but I've certainly had enough flats that CO2 would quickly surpass the cost of my $25 frame pumps. Especially considering you need a $20ish inflator to use said CO2 cartridges.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 02-02-18, 08:32 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have been in unhappy situations (rarely, thankfully) where I have a flat but for the life of me I can not find the object in the tire that caused it. I fix the flat go down the road only to flat again. If I only had a limited supply of CO2 cartridges, I wouldn't be able to inflate my tire when I had exhausted my supply. I always have a frame pump for those unhappy times where I constantly need to inflate my tire to limp back home.

On the issue of banana peels and apple cores, they will return to nature, chuck them in the woods and be done with it.
Old 02-02-18, 08:51 AM
deephate

Bikes: COLNAGO! Litespeed, Motobecane, Peugeot, Gitane, Fuji, Nishiki, Centurion, Panasonic, Giant, Trek, Cannondale, Raleigh, Bianchi, Winsor

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I pick it up and pack it out. My theory is that trash attracts trash. Not very many people feel OK about throwing down the first wrapper but, if the area is already littered, many fewer people feel bad about adding to the mess.
I agree. I am sometimes overwhelmed and cannot pack out all I come across on our multi-purpose trail between the town I live in and the town I work in. My touring club cleans the trail I use but only once a year. One summer I made a mental note to bring a full size trash bag on my next run to take care of what looked like a parade aftermath.
Old 02-02-18, 08:55 AM
northtexasbiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if you are cycling in an area where bananas aren't indigenous? Are they really returning to nature then?
Old 02-02-18, 09:23 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I'd throw out a banana peel. I also pick up my dog's poop, even though I know nobody's doing for the squirrels, bunny rabbits and pigeons.
Old 02-02-18, 09:57 AM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'd throw out a banana peel. I also pick up my dog's poop, even though I know nobody's doing for the squirrels, bunny rabbits and pigeons.
Yeah, but the bunnies poo all over a vast area, not within 6' of a heavily used trail or sidewalk. If they all pooed where dogs poo, I'd be willing to bet people would be calling for it to be cleaned.
Old 02-02-18, 11:03 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Yeah, but the bunnies poo all over a vast area, not within 6' of a heavily used trail or sidewalk. If they all pooed where dogs poo, I'd be willing to bet people would be calling for it to be cleaned.
Rabbits are also vegetarian, which makes for less noxious stool than dogs.
Old 02-02-18, 12:44 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 917 Posts
Wow, you guys throw your banana peels into the grass? Wish they'd do that here; my commute is along a highway shoulder and there are banana peels all over it. I don't understand why the cyclists can't throw them a few feet instead of just dropping them. Hard to compost anything on asphalt.

There are also CO2 and NO2 cartridges everywhere along the streets as well as on the highway shoulder. Last week someone deposited an entire case of empty NO2 cartridges in the parking lot across the street. I never see dead tubes, so I assume it's people getting high. Especially with the number of drug users up here, it's a pretty safe assumption.
Old 02-02-18, 08:02 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I was riding on Rinaldi east of Wilbur yesterday, (Granada Hills, CA) and found 5 or 6 bright red Co2s in the bike lane. I stopped and went back to check them out thinking maybe somebody dropped some live ones out of a seat bag. They were all used and empty, but that many in one place. Must have been a really big tire! C'mon guys.
Old 02-02-18, 10:46 PM
jefnvk

Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I was riding on Rinaldi east of Wilbur yesterday, (Granada Hills, CA) and found 5 or 6 bright red Co2s in the bike lane. I stopped and went back to check them out thinking maybe somebody dropped some live ones out of a seat bag. They were all used and empty, but that many in one place. Must have been a really big tire! C'mon guys.
Or just a particularly nasty hazard six people all hit!

When I do the mass ride that is Tour de Troit, its not uncommon to see multiple people hit something in succession and clump up fixing (or more accurately, waiting for someone else to fix) their tire
Old 02-05-18, 01:45 AM
John00

Bikes: 2 TiSports and a Ho Ko E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I stopped to pick up a inner tube someone had discarded on the side of the road. Found a very nice Crank Brothers multi tool he dropped. I've been carrying it in my saddle bag for a few years now.
Old 06-10-19, 06:57 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts

Grr!

I'm fortunate to only be able to imagine how much changing a tire in today's rain must have ******, and that construction arcade must have been a nicely sheltered place to do it, but seriously, you can't carry it forty feet to the next trash can (or a few hundred if you were salmoning?)

Snapped the photo on the walk out, did the right thing on the walk back from the grocery store, too narrow to patch for use on anything I own.

Also seen while walking to said trashcan: offside wrong foot on one pedal uphill e-zooming. That's a new one. But can't blame those folks for this road-tire debris.

Wasn't I supposed to get a free multi-tool?

Last edited by UniChris; 06-10-19 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 07:15 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 07:17 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 07:45 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by krecik
You old farts don't know ****. I'm nineteen so unfortunately I do and I apologise on the behalf of my stupid generation.

Kret
Your generation is no stupider than any previous generation when they were your age.
Likes For seamuis:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.