Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Allez Sport for first real road bike for a Clyde?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-15, 09:11 PM
VSGRider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im looking to get my first real road bike soon. I have a TREK 7000 hybrid at the moment, but want to gt myself a present when I get to 200 pounds as a reward (got 45 pounds to go and I will have lost 140 pounds). So, I have been looking at some bikes and came across the Specialized Allez Sport. It is in my price range and seems like a good road bike. Anyone own one? What are the pros and cons?
Old 11-29-15, 09:19 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Bought these used...Blue one had 600 miles on it. 2003 model $200 buck.

Brown one had only 25 miles on it..2005 model $600 and sold the wheels for $275.

Old 11-29-15, 09:44 PM
VSGRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What are pros and cons of the bike? I would buy new. Im looking under 1000.00 and this one falls into that category. Any other bikes in that price range?
Old 11-29-15, 09:48 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Keep saving $$ and keep checking your area Craigslist.

Old 11-30-15, 04:52 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by VSGRider
What are pros and cons of the bike? I would buy new. Im looking under 1000.00 and this one falls into that category. Any other bikes in that price range?
I work in a Specialized/Giant LBS. The Sport isn't the least expensive Allez, but it's the least expensive "keeper" in the line due to the carbon fork. Giant makes a similarly specced Defy, but IMO the frame on the Allez is better. The only other bike in that price range that I would recommend is the Cannondale CAAD10 or 12 if they're offered (not sure of that).

Demain, on roule!
Old 11-30-15, 09:00 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Im looking to get my first real road bike soon. I have a TREK 7000 hybrid at the moment, but want to gt myself a present when I get to 200 pounds as a reward (got 45 pounds to go and I will have lost 140 pounds). So, I have been looking at some bikes and came across the Specialized Allez Sport. It is in my price range and seems like a good road bike. Anyone own one? What are the pros and cons?
The weak point on any stock bike for a Clyde will always be the wheels. @ 245lbs you're not going to have the same issues as some will, but be aware that if you start breaking spokes, the problem is the wheels are junk!

Otherwise it's a low end aluminum road bike, with everything that brings (cheap parts, stiff harsh ride). Some people love Specialized bikes, and if you want to get a new one on the cheap, then the Allez is the way to go.
Old 11-30-15, 10:19 AM
jay002

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4, 2015 Specialized AWOL Elite

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had an Allez Elite as my first road bike. It was a great bike and I loved that thing. From 245lbs down to 220lbs I had no issues with the wheels or any other components. I purchased mine used and rode about 2k miles on it. I will say that the ride was a bit stiff as aluminum tends to be but if it's your first road bike you may not notice. I didn't realize how stiff it was until I got a steel frame. I'd still have my Allez but after getting pro-fit it was determined that the bike was too small for me so I sold it and got a Specialized AWOL.
Old 11-30-15, 11:04 AM
missinglink

Bikes: 2013 Marin Redwood - 2015 Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
I just purchased my Allez Sport the first week of June this year. I'm not a clyde so cant help much in that respect. I was researching entry level road bikes in an affordable a price range also. So far, it's everything I'd hoped it would be. Note that I've not ridden other road bikes (other than test rides), so comparison is lacking.
No cons in particular other than taking a while to break into the saddle after coming off a hybrid. I adjusted the tilt of the saddle several times to help with fit and comfort.
Other than wiping down and lubing the chain, it's needed little attention. No adjustments, etc. ~3000 miles so far.

My only issue was finding one in my size. Few shops stock 49CM. I finally found a shop nice enough (brave enough) to order one in with no commitment from me. I bought it after the test ride.

Best of luck. Hope this helps some.
And congratulations on the weight loss.
Old 11-30-15, 04:38 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a good intro bike. Many companies make good intro bikes in that range: Specialized, Trek, Giant, Fuji, Cannondale, Felt, Jamis, Raleigh, etc.

Since you already have a bike, I'd make sure that I budgeted for a Shimano 105 groupset (or better, or similar group from SRAM / Campy).

If you get used, then you'll get a better price, but you won't have LBS support to do adjustments (for free/cheap) nor a warranty. If you're good at doing your own maintenance, then this may not be a big deal. Otherwise, new may be a better deal for you.

The big thing between those different brands is that each has a slightly different geometry. And some brands have a couple of different geometries at that level (race vs. endurance). My suggestion is to always find several LBSs in your area, and try a few different brands at each one. And, if possible, the different geometries in your size. This way, you'll have at least 5-6 bikes to compare your test rides against.

Fit is the biggest thing on road bikes, make sure that the bike you buy fits the best out of the bikes that you test. If several of them feel like the fit is about the same, then choose based on price, color, etc. Whichever one makes you want to get out and ride it. And don't worry if the bike that you test ride has a better or worse group set than the one that you want. You're really testing the fit of the frame. You can normally order that same frame with the groupset that you want as that is what I did with the Fuji that I ended up buying. I test rode one with either Claris or Sora, and ended up ordering that frame with Tiagra. I went on budget, but got a group that was good enough to last me for a few years, if I liked cycling, but wouldn't set me back to far, if I dropped it. Since you've been cycling for a while, a 105 groupset will help with future maintenance and compatibility.

GH
Old 11-30-15, 07:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I bought one of these off CL for $400 for my son. I have ridden it (I'm 250lbs), it would make a fine first road bike, or even a fine long-term road bike (as long as whatever you get fits!)
Old 12-07-15, 08:51 AM
bbandu

Bikes: 2017 Niner Jet 9, 2014 KHS Flight 500

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it looks like we started in the same place. I am also wanting a road bike so I will be following along.
Old 12-07-15, 06:59 PM
UrHuckleBerry

Bikes: 2014 Roubaix SL4 Sora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is if possible wait til the new year. When jumping to a roadbike I also planned on getting an Allez, ended up with a year old Roubaix equipped with sora(has worked surprisingly well 2,000 miles on it so far and still doin fine) for $1400. This coming spring it will get a 5800 groupset.
Old 12-07-15, 07:11 PM
VSGRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am gonna try to find other brands to test as recommended. With those brands, can you guys recommend the models that would neon the same price range as the Allez Sport? Keep win mind the although I have a bike and I have ridden, I still am very much a noob. Im not even sure what a groups is. Im assuming it is the gears for the back, Please dint laugh at me for not knowing. LOL.
Old 12-07-15, 10:15 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Which bikes have you ridden so far?
Old 12-08-15, 09:23 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Im not even sure what a groups is.
A group (or if you want to sound fancy, Italian 'gruppo') is a variously complete set of drivetrain components: minimally derailleurs and shifters, maximally also crankset, brakes, chain, and headset. The hierarchy of Shimano groups is (top to bottom), Dura-Ace, Ultegra, 105, Tiagra, Sora, Claris? Depending on whether your tastes tend towards racy/lighter or reliable/heavier, the sweet spot is Tiagra or 105. If you look at a bike like the Allez Sport or comparable, it will probably have Tiagra or 105, or a little bit of a mix.
Old 12-08-15, 11:40 AM
revchuck 
OMC

The Allez Sport comes with Sora.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-08-15, 01:34 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Save another couple hundred bucks, and get the Elite, with Tiagra and the Smartweld frame.

Also, $1250 is MSRP. Don't be afraid to haggle. You may get the price a tad closer to $1000.
Old 12-08-15, 02:19 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Be aware that there isn't much markup on bikes. Dealers may be willing to go down on old stock, but not so much on 2016s. Selling a bike with an MSRP of $1250 for $1000 is just about a break-even deal when you add overhead and such. Shops don't stay open long doing that.

Demain, on roule!
Old 12-08-15, 02:36 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

But now is about the time of year for 2015 closeouts, right? I recall a month or two ago my LBS advertising current-model sales to make room for 2016s, maybe the last 2015 stragglers are still hanging around.
Old 12-08-15, 05:22 PM
VSGRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to find a store that was doing close outs and would let me put s deposit on one to hold until I could get it. Im a realtor and we don't get paid weekly...only when we close deals. This is the roughest part of the year for me every year as far as closings. Anyone in the Atlanta area know of a shop that would help like this? I want to try as many models as I can as soon as I can. May even get TWO, as my wife wants to ride too...and she is having Gastric sleeve surgery like I did, on Dec 18th.
Old 12-09-15, 02:00 PM
mprelaw

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by revchuck
Be aware that there isn't much markup on bikes. Dealers may be willing to go down on old stock, but not so much on 2016s. Selling a bike with an MSRP of $1250 for $1000 is just about a break-even deal when you add overhead and such. Shops don't stay open long doing that.
$1149 at two Spesh dealers within 20 miles of my home. Of course, with Spesh, it's in-store pick up only.
Old 12-10-15, 09:48 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
But now is about the time of year for 2015 closeouts, right? I recall a month or two ago my LBS advertising current-model sales to make room for 2016s, maybe the last 2015 stragglers are still hanging around.
If you are looking for a deal, you might need to broaden your search, as there is no guarantee that the model on closeout at any given LBS will be the brand, the model, or the size you are looking for.
Old 12-10-15, 10:47 AM
bo31210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What size bike are you looking for? I have a 2013 Specialized Allez Comp Mid Compact with 105 Components I am wanting to part with for less than your $1000 It is a size 52 though so not sure if that works for you or not. Also, south of you in Macon
Old 12-10-15, 05:20 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would love to find a store that was doing close outs and would let me put s deposit on one to hold until I could get it. Im a realtor and we don't get paid weekly...only when we close deals. This is the roughest part of the year for me every year as far as closings. Anyone in the Atlanta area know of a shop that would help like this? I want to try as many models as I can as soon as I can. May even get TWO, as my wife wants to ride too...and she is having Gastric sleeve surgery like I did, on Dec 18th.
I don't know about a deposit, but Performance Bikes works with a Credit Card that gives you a year to pay off the bike without interest. You could always get the bike on the card, and then at the first opportunity, pay off the bike, and cancel the card. Be warned that if you don't pay off the card in time, the interest rate makes loan sharks look good.

GH
Old 12-12-15, 08:30 AM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't know how tall you are but I'm selling a basically new Cannondale Synapse 5/105 for your budget. I bought it for my daughter (she's 6' tall so it's a man's size 56) and she got WAY into golf and only put about 100 miles on the bike. Add in shipping though because I'm in Indiana.

Last edited by bassjones; 12-12-15 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added information