Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Smoking Commuter Cyclists

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Smoking Commuter Cyclists

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-12, 03:38 PM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Curing lung cancer is bad because it extends human life, as is world peace for the same reason.
Old 01-09-12, 03:40 PM
fairymuff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
But what if the kid you didn't have was the one that was going to make world peace? Or invent a perfect energy source?
Basic probability theory says he/she won't.

Seriously: the cumulative effects of children and their potential offspring outstrip any other thing you could do for the environment.
Old 01-09-12, 03:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Suddenly, I'm feeling a lot better about all those condoms I'm sending to the landfill.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-09-12, 03:54 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff
The best thing you can ever do for the environment is to have one child less than planned. You can then drive the biggest car imaginable, fly around the world several times a year and generally not care for the environment for the rest of your life and still have a net benefit to the environment.
I like ths logic. Why stop with one? If a family of four was actually going to be a family of eight (2 parents, 6 kids ), but they stopped at just 2 kids, then everyone in the family has a lifetime pollution credit. Works for me. I feel much better now. Thanks!
Old 01-09-12, 04:01 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The planet does not need saving. The planet is fine. We humans are a deeply flawed species and we are well on our way to extinction. The planet is currently on a lose the humans campaign, and the planet will win.

Therefore I say smoke 'em if you got 'em. Enjoy every moment you have left.
Old 01-09-12, 04:03 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
Ah, MickeyBikes...

I do believe that ridiculousness was exceeded about two hours ago!
I do believe you'll find that there is no letter 'c' in my username.
Old 01-09-12, 04:20 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Giant Innova, Nishiki Sebring, Trek 7.5FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
I do believe you'll find that there is no letter 'c' in my username.
Damn! So I'm really not so perfect, afterall!

Sorry about that, MikeyBikes!....That was honestly a typo!

Please forgive me!

- Slim

Old 01-09-12, 04:22 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by modernjess
The planet does not need saving. The planet is fine. We humans are a deeply flawed species and we are well on our way to extinction. The planet is currently on a lose the humans campaign, and the planet will win.

Therefore I say smoke 'em if you got 'em. Enjoy every moment you have left.
Why do I fine these words, somehow strangely revealing?
Old 01-09-12, 04:23 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Suddenly, I'm feeling a lot better about all those condoms I'm sending to the landfill.
Me too!
Old 01-09-12, 04:27 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by fairymuff
Basic probability theory says he/she won't.

Seriously: the cumulative effects of children and their potential offspring outstrip any other thing you could do for the environment.
You don't know that they're going to have offspring of their own for one thing. Odds are that if you have only two kids, your progeny will eventually die out.

Personally I work in the field of energy conservation and I have been for the last 15 years so I've had a hand in saving quite a bit of energy, much of which has been in large commercial lighting projects. As of a couple years ago I had already saved the amount my 2 kids would likely use in their lifetime.
Old 01-09-12, 04:38 PM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
You don't know that they're going to have offspring of their own for one thing. Odds are that if you have only two kids, your progeny will eventually die out.
Yes, that's why I said potential. Either way: my progeny dying out would most likely result in energy savings compared to it not dying out, which was the point I was making.

Personally I work in the field of energy conservation and I have been for the last 15 years so I've had a hand in saving quite a bit of energy, much of which has been in large commercial lighting projects. As of a couple years ago I had already saved the amount my 2 kids would likely use in their lifetime.
Yes, good point. On balance though, this only applies to very few people, as the large majority are net consumers of energy.
Old 01-09-12, 04:40 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wasn't this thread about feeling moral superiority to smokers?
Old 01-09-12, 04:44 PM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeybikes
Wasn't this thread about feeling moral superiority to smokers?
Possibly, but since I'm a childless smoker, I'm desperately trying to spin things in my favour.
Old 01-09-12, 04:56 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
No, it was originally about "smoking" other bike commuters, as in dropping them on your ride to or from work (leaving them in your smoke a la drag racing). It somehow digressed into a discussion of the merits of smoking tobacco and other products, and even touched on some esoteric environmental issues like global warming. That about sums it up for those who don't want to read everything.
Old 01-09-12, 04:59 PM
tweed_gypsy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@LesterOf Puppets... I'll take one for each bike! lol
Old 01-09-12, 05:02 PM
cranky velocist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Smoking while cycling is so anti-green, oxymoronic, contradictive, hypocritical, and polluted. There's just something wrong with the whole image of it all!

This is an incredibly insufferable, intolerant, domineering and delusional view. I smoked for 15 years, and cycling helped counter-act most of the worst effects to my lungs as compared to my non-cycling friends I begin smoking with in high school. A peer group, literally and specifically speaking.

As a matter of fact it was SMOKING, yes CIGARETTES which initiated my first daily bike commuting habits: as 15 year olds, some neighbors and I needed a way to get from school to the store which sold us cigarettes back to home, and we needed the freedom to smoke in the first place.

During this period of heightened activity, I lost my spare tire, got fit for the first time in my life, and outgrew my allergies/asthma. All the hill climbing did far, far more good for me than simply not smoking & also not riding on a daily basis.

I kicked the habit, 4-5 months ago. Cycling was key: It burned off the calories from all the additional sweets I was eating, and it took my mind off of my smoking craving.

During my time as a smoking cyclist, I was faster than (most) other riders in NYC parks, I commuted farther than (most) other cyclists to work amoungst the small towns where I now live, I crested mountains and accomplished a couple centuries.

Like you, I consider my health and environment to be important. Smoker or not, cycling improved both.

Not all cyclists & non-smokers want to have anything to do with you, however, and you can count me in both groups.
Old 01-09-12, 05:07 PM
fairymuff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
No, it was originally about "smoking" other bike commuters, as in dropping them on your ride to or from work (leaving them in your smoke a la drag racing). <snip>
No it wasn't...
Old 01-09-12, 05:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky velocist
This is an incredibly insufferable, intolerant, domineering and delusional view.
Instead of saying why you think this is so, you went on to write an autobiography without giving another thought to the OP...
Old 01-09-12, 05:19 PM
Fargo Wolf
Resident smartass.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Infinitely rare to see a cyclist smoking while riding here (Kamloops).
Old 01-09-12, 05:22 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an incredibly insufferable, intolerant, domineering and delusional view. I smoked for 15 years, and cycling helped counter-act most of the worst effects to my lungs as compared to my non-cycling friends I begin smoking with in high school. A peer group, literally and specifically speaking.

As a matter of fact it was SMOKING, yes CIGARETTES which initiated my first daily bike commuting habits: as 15 year olds, some neighbors and I needed a way to get from school to the store which sold us cigarettes back to home, and we needed the freedom to smoke in the first place.

During this period of heightened activity, I lost my spare tire, got fit for the first time in my life, and outgrew my allergies/asthma. All the hill climbing did far, far more good for me than simply not smoking & also not riding on a daily basis.

I kicked the habit, 4-5 months ago. Cycling was key: It burned off the calories from all the additional sweets I was eating, and it took my mind off of my smoking craving.

During my time as a smoking cyclist, I was faster than (most) other riders in NYC parks, I commuted farther than (most) other cyclists to work amoungst the small towns where I now live, I crested mountains and accomplished a couple centuries.

Like you, I consider my health and environment to be important. Smoker or not, cycling improved both.

Not all cyclists & non-smokers want to have anything to do with you, however, and you can count me in both groups.
Your adjectives pale in the face of the stark reality of what smoking really is... To put it more simply. Smoking is just plain stupid! I think most smokers would agree with me when I say this, because that's who I hear it from for the most part.

Now, if you think that smoking has some type of meritous, noble, or redeemable characteristics, then I would dare say that you sir, are incredibly delusional. Furthermore, that being the case, your views are not only void of truth and scientific fact, they are also dim-witted and symptomatic of the type of ignorance that I personally find quite intolerably repugnant.

Have A Nice Day!

PS.

Thanks for quitting...

Last edited by SlimRider; 01-09-12 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-09-12, 05:22 PM
jdswitters

Bikes: Swobo Fillmore, Kona Ute, Salsa Timberjack, Salsa Fargo, New belgium brewery cruisers-2014 and 2009 and 2007

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

we can tell, I'm afraid if I quit smoking my my nicotine controlled tourettes will kick in and I'll lose my job.
Old 01-09-12, 05:29 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
I never smoked in my life but I have nothing against people who do.
Old 01-09-12, 05:32 PM
cranky velocist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Instead of saying why you think this is so, you went on to write an autobiography without giving another thought to the OP...
The OP shouldn't project his riding goals & motivations onto people who live a different lifestyle than he does and; predicated on the logical fallacy that the act of smoking precludes any physical, environmental, or social benefits one enjoys on the individual level. The assumption of hypocrisy simply doesn't hold up to the reality of who cycles/why.
Old 01-09-12, 05:33 PM
SlimRider
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdswitters
we can tell, I'm afraid if I quit smoking my my nicotine controlled tourettes will kick in and I'll lose my job.
Old 01-09-12, 05:39 PM
cranky velocist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your adjectives pale in the face of the stark reality of what smoking really is... To put it more simply. Smoking is just plain stupid! I think most smokers would agree with me when I say this, because that's who I hear it from for the most part.

Now, if you think that smoking has some type of meritous, noble, or redeemable characteristics, then I would dare say that you sir, are incredibly delusional. Furthermore, that being the case, your views are not only void of truth and scientific fact, they are also dim-witted and symptomatic of the type of ignorance that I personally find quite intolerably repugnant.

Have A Nice Day!

PS.

Thanks for quitting...
So you have a problem with smoking? stop projecting it onto unrelated hobbies. Some people are Clydes. Some people are smokers. Some people are paraplegics. Your sharing the activity of being a cyclist doesn't warrant you being judgmental, or make you informed bout their lives.

This sort of sanctimony does nothing to encourage people to quit. Maybe they're actually blowing smoke in your face on purpose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.