Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Extended Barrel Adjuster Adapter (?)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 06:11 PM
eepok

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi all,

If you're like me, you do your best not to replace (rim) brake pads until it's actually time to replace them. Normally, that means slowly unscrewing the barrel adjuster over time to keep one's preferred lever pull and then, eventually, loosening the cable at the brake and pulling more cable through to take up some of the slack.

I really hate doing that. You can only do it so many times before you ruin the cable and then need to replace that as well.

Does anyone know of a sort of barrel adjuster extension that would increase the range of the adjuster so that one needn't mess with the cable just to keep the same brake level pull through the life of the pads?
Old 02-18-18, 07:17 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
assuming this is V-Brake pads

how about you install them with the small spacers on the inside
then when you run out of barrel adjuster you swap them with the large spacers?

or maybe buy cartridge pads
they're a lot thinner so you replace them before this becomes an issue
Old 02-18-18, 01:34 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Best bet is just to add another adjuster. You can get any number of inline adjusters that are spliced into the cable housing. Or you could add one at the v-brake noodle, v noodles are available with one built in. Or if it's a cantilever adding one at the cable stop on the frame/fork is possible.
Old 02-18-18, 02:24 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
Best bet is just to add another adjuster. You can get any number of inline adjusters that are spliced into the cable housing. Or you could add one at the v-brake noodle, v noodles are available with one built in. Or if it's a cantilever adding one at the cable stop on the frame/fork is possible.
My thought too. As well, inline adjusters normally get fitted where you can easily fiddle with them while riding. Great for derailleurs too. My frames had the old downtube shifters, when I switched the Paramount to 11 speeds on the rear with STI's, the downtube levers came off and cable guides with adjuster went on in their place. The few times something got out of wack right after I built it, I could adjust it while riding and then deal with the bigger issue at home.
Old 02-18-18, 08:59 PM
eepok

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wesmamyke
I had never heard of inline adjusters. I'm sold!

I've found the Jagqire ones on Amazon (https://goo.gl/ZCtWio). Would these suffice or would you advise toward another brand?
Old 02-18-18, 09:48 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
I had never heard of inline adjusters. I'm sold!

I've found the Jagqire ones on Amazon (https://goo.gl/ZCtWio). Would these suffice or would you advise toward another brand?
"Makes on-the-fly derailleur adjustments easy for frames without downtube adjuster stops. Includes two 50mm lengths of 4mm capped derailleur housing. Not recommended for use with brake systems."
Old 02-18-18, 09:50 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Jagwire-Inlin...PQZTQ2KF4AJBVZ

try that
Old 02-18-18, 09:51 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
What brakes are you running, btw?
Old 02-19-18, 11:32 AM
eepok

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Huh... I could've sworn those were the ones that I linked. I even thought to myself while going through the different options, "It would sure be nice if they had whether these were for brake cable/housing or for shift cable/housing".

Thanks regardless.
Old 02-19-18, 11:36 AM
eepok

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
What brakes are you running, btw?
They're the stock cantilever brakes on a 2012 Jamis Aurora. I already installed a barrel adjuster on my rear brake since, for whatever reason, it didn't come with one.

I have another bike that I use as a little commuter (Biria Citibike 8-speed) that uses v-brakes. I'll be getting these inline barrels for that as well. Maybe the tandem, too.

As you can tell, I really, really hate pulling brake cable through with every new set of brake pads.
Old 02-19-18, 01:37 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Originally Posted by eepok
They're the stock cantilever brakes on a 2012 Jamis Aurora. I already installed a barrel adjuster on my rear brake since, for whatever reason, it didn't come with one.

I have another bike that I use as a little commuter (Biria Citibike 8-speed) that uses v-brakes. I'll be getting these inline barrels for that as well. Maybe the tandem, too.

As you can tell, I really, really hate pulling brake cable through with every new set of brake pads.
Oh I see that makes sense. I admit I haven't had to deal with cantilevers, and reading Sheldon Brown I see your problem. Finicky things huh?
Old 02-19-18, 01:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Unless you are running some really wide tires on a narrow rim or have your pads adjusted very close to the rim it seems unusual that you are having this issue.

Do your brakes not have a quick release on them that opens the calipers for wheel changes? Many do, though many others do not. It's usually a little lever right by the cable hold down on the caliper. I have seen some that the cable was adjusted with the lever in the wrong position, so when it was moved the brake pads clamped on the rim.
Old 02-19-18, 03:13 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
This place has some adjusters 17.5mm long. (Scroll to near the bottom of the page. Just above the jockey wheels on the right side "M5 Aluminum Alloy Brake Adjustment Bolt") Jockey Wheels, Shimano Derailleur Parts, Derailleur Wheels
Old 02-19-18, 04:45 PM
eepok

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Oh I see that makes sense. I admit I haven't had to deal with cantilevers, and reading Sheldon Brown I see your problem. Finicky things huh?
They really are. My canti brakes live in a realm of 70%-90% perfect through the lives of their brakepads and cables. If they drop below 70% perfect *anyone* can fix them (that's the only benefit). But on my next bike, I hope to go mechanical disc or caliper.
Old 02-19-18, 04:47 PM
eepok

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Unless you are running some really wide tires on a narrow rim or have your pads adjusted very close to the rim it seems unusual that you are having this issue.

Do your brakes not have a quick release on them that opens the calipers for wheel changes? Many do, though many others do not. It's usually a little lever right by the cable hold down on the caliper. I have seen some that the cable was adjusted with the lever in the wrong position, so when it was moved the brake pads clamped on the rim.
I ride on 32mm tires, but I've put 38mms on the wheels before (which I may be doing again soon). The button for the release is on the brake levers for these canti/lever combos and it's definitely not that.