Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Within reach commuting bag options

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 06:23 AM
davidallenxyz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As much as I love my panniers and rack, they are a pain when I just want to grab my wallet or phone (I don't like to have too much in my pockets when I ride).

What do people like to use as a "within-reach" commuting bag? Ideally big enough to hold a rain jacket as well as my wallet and phone.

I'm leaning towards one of the bike-packing frame bags that are becoming more mainstream now (Topeak seem to have released a reasonably priced one) but because these things don't seem to be widely stocked in physical shops it would be a bit of a leap in the dark to order one.

I'm not sure I'd get along with a handlebar bag because I always get bothered by random objects around the front of the bike - willing to reconsider if they are far and away the best solution.
Old 08-09-17, 11:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK, you eliminated my suggestion, a handlebar bag that opens away from you.

to fit a rain jacket it probably has to be somewhat large..

how about a custom sewed frame bag.. since no clue to that shape, so draw an outline and find someone with a sewing machine.

Otherwise
rather than disappointing an expectation for it to be stocked, call the shop and see if they can add one to their next wholesaler order..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-09-17 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 11:25 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
If duffel bag makers included side loops on their bags, that would be ideal.

I just don't like having straps or bungees tying the whole bag down. They get in the way when you need to get something quickly. Hence the side loops.

After looking and experimenting for two years, I'm using an Arkel pannier with backpack straps. Still not ideal but good enough.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-09-17 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-09-17, 12:32 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There really isn't anything other than a handlebar bag that meets those criteria. Years ago I used a Kirtland Tour Pak handlebar bag, with the big ol' metal support that hung off the step. Worked great, wish I'd kept it.

Now I use an Agu Qyoto 820KF
with KlickFix mount (Nashbar occasionally has 'em on sale for $40, including the KlickFix mount, so it's a bargain). In some ways it's even better than the Kirtland was. Simple hinged lid that opens away from me while I'm on the bike, and the lid is secured by two small bungee loops with leather tabs and brass pins as holders. The lid is a friction fit, like a well fitted gift box. Easy to access stuff quickly, even while riding.

There's an inner drawstring bag closure for more security. No padding but it's shaped identically to my old Beseler canteen style camera bag, so I swap the same padded floor and compartmented liner to the Agu bag when I'm toting camera gear. If I'm not carrying anything fragile I omit the padding.

There's a traditional map pocket secured to the top via Velcro. It's touch sensitive so a phone or small tablet can be protected there, visible and accessible while riding for folks who use GPS navigation aids.

In winter, it holds my windbreaker or even my heavier Shimano Storm Jacket, extra gloves, etc. Compact camera, snacks, whatever I need that day. I can reach everything quickly without dismounting. I can safely reach some items while riding, due to the well designed lid.

Reportedly all Agu bags are weatherproof (they're made in the Netherlands). So far I've been only in light misting rain, which most bags can handle. The Agu outer shell feels plasticky, like waterproofed ballistic nylon, so it may indeed be rainproof.

And if you don't like that particular model you can order the more current Agu bags direct from Europe. Easier than ever now especially with favorable exchange rates.

A few nits to pick:
  • On really rough roads the bag will pivot toward me, around the Klickfix mount, which could spill the contents if the lid was unsecured. But nothing was dumped when I had the lid secured by the little bungee loops. I fixed the problem with a short, thin bungee cord hooked through the bag's strap attachments and around the handlebar stem.
  • The bag sits up pretty high, higher than the Kirtland Tour Pak did which put the lid at handlebar height. Just the nature of the KlickFix mount design. It can interfere with headlights so I mount my light around the head tube under the bag. Works fine that way.
  • The zippered side pouches aren't very useful. The zippers are unusually thin and fragile and one of 'em stopped securing properly almost immediately. I only use the side pouches to hold inconsequential stuff like snack bars, empty ziplock bags in case it rains, etc. Anything important goes inside the main bag.
Old 08-09-17, 12:56 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Handlebar bags really are da bomb.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-09-17, 08:23 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
I like this Jandd frame bag on a road bike. Well made and thoughtfully designed.
Old 08-09-17, 08:44 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
This bag top section is big enough to hold your wallet, phone and rain jacket and if you extend it (that zipper on the orange section, even more stuff). It uses a double zipper so you can have it open by your left or right side near your back. Simply twist around and pull the zipper away from you to open it. The panniers are expandable if you need even more room.

Old 08-09-17, 10:37 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
handlebar bag. However, I've carried a light rain coat, phone, and wallet in my jersey pockets. Don't you stop to use any one of those items anyway? I don't ride and talk on the phone. I'm not coordinated or confident to put my rain jacket on while riding. Not sure what I'd need my wallet for while on the bike???
Old 08-10-17, 06:29 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
If you want to take a cheap run at a frame bag

go to Amazon and pick up an Ibera. For what you are wanting to do they are adequate. At $15 give or take you can guess wrong on the size and then up size or down size without breaking the bank. You could even send the original back for an exchange. But here's my caveat: don't be stupid and try to put on or take off a jacket while on the bike and moving. Last week while getting my teeth cleaned my dentist told me about a patient whose jacket got caught in the spokes and is now paying for her daughter's tuition.
Old 08-10-17, 08:06 AM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by davidallenxyz
As much as I love my panniers and rack, they are a pain when I just want to grab my wallet or phone (I don't like to have too much in my pockets when I ride).

What do people like to use as a "within-reach" commuting bag? Ideally big enough to hold a rain jacket as well as my wallet and phone.

I'm leaning towards one of the bike-packing frame bags that are becoming more mainstream now (Topeak seem to have released a reasonably priced one) but because these things don't seem to be widely stocked in physical shops it would be a bit of a leap in the dark to order one.

I'm not sure I'd get along with a handlebar bag because I always get bothered by random objects around the front of the bike - willing to reconsider if they are far and away the best solution.
Depending on the size of the rain jacket.....I use a Revelate Designs gas tank bag that mounts to the stem, sits on the top tube that hold gloves/backup battery for smart phone/park tool tool kit/iphone 7+ comfortable. I have a cycling windbreaker that rolls into its own carry bag that can be smooshed in there, but it's very thin.

I was contemplating something similar to what you're looking for - frame bag, but I needed it to carry a cable lock and U lock, and none of the frame bags that would accommodate the U lock would actually fit my frame size. So FYI for that feature. I ended up going with the banjo brothers handlebar bag with tie downs, which definitely fits all of your stuff very easily.
Old 08-10-17, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I have a handy small bento bag (as well as the run of the mil rear rack & trunk). don't know why they are called bento. it's not a brand it's a style. it sits on top of the top tube at the stem. mine is small, just right for a snack & cell phone

like this one

if you need a rain jacket - you're gonna have to stop to put it on, right? so maybe it doesn't needs to be within reach? all our bikes have rear rack trunks. simple, cheap & easy
Old 08-10-17, 12:55 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I have a handy small bento bag (as well as the run of the mil rear rack & trunk). don't know why they are called bento. it's not a brand it's a style. it sits on top of the top tube at the stem. mine is small, just right for a snack & cell phone

like this one

if you need a rain jacket - you're gonna have to stop to put it on, right? so maybe it doesn't needs to be within reach? all our bikes have rear rack trunks. simple, cheap & easy
That's a nice commuting setup. You must get to work faster than others.
Old 08-10-17, 01:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Handlebar bag is where it's at!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rando_at_work_7_20_50pcnt.jpg (97.0 KB, 124 views)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-10-17, 05:49 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
That's a nice commuting setup. You must get to work faster than others.
oh sorry, that's not me or anyone I know, just some random image found via a google search. when I bike to work there aren't any other ppl going my way. I have no idea how my speed compares. but rear trunks have less wind resistance that panniers, right? that anonymous woman has a decent saddle bag, but I doubt she's got a rain jacket in there. this is the trunk I use

it moves from bike to bike. I think the zipper broke on my bento bag so I have to replace it

it is waterproof & insulated & can double as a cooler & it came with a rain (& snow) cover. sorry about the snow fellas. was practically the last time I went for a freakin bike ride :/

Last edited by rumrunn6; 08-11-17 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-10-17, 06:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,441 Posts
Please no pictures of snow this month. Thank you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-17, 07:08 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Please no pictures of snow this month. Thank you.
I so heartily agree!!!

PS. I was looking for the Submit button. The images are so big that I had to scroll right to get to them!
Old 08-11-17, 07:34 AM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about a larger top tube bag like this one?
Transit Escape DX II Top Tube Bag

not the prettiest thing to look at but if your rain jacket is small enough, this might do it.

other, my suggestion would be to get a small rack trunk bag if it doesn't impact the mounting and removal of your pannier set up. i was looking at the ortlieb one a few days ago - its pretty big and of course waterproof and all that. wasn't great for carrying through, you use the roll top as a handle. i've seen some topeak trunk bags that are small, and have organizers and pockets and the like for you if you just wanted to carry some essentials.

good luck.
Old 08-11-17, 11:51 AM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Go Hipster:

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 08-11-17, 12:54 PM
davidallenxyz

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback so far.

I was passing a bike shop today and had a look at what they had in stock. They actually had one of the Blackburn frame bags and although there is a lot of neat design in it, I realised that the fact it is "permanently" connected to the bike would rule it out for use around town.

They also had some handlebar bags and the one that was nominally 7 litres took the jacket comfortably, and the one that was 5 litres just about took the jacket as well. I was impressed.

I hadn't thought of a trunk pack, maybe I will take a look at how easy they are to open if I just twist around on the saddle.

Someone mentioned how you don't need your phone and wallet on the move... I agree... it's just that I like to be "organised" and I end up having to dig around in the pannier a bit more often than I want... first world problems
Old 08-12-17, 12:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
When I had a Long Rural Commute I had a Zzipper Aero Fairing in the front, and hung a canvas musette bag behind it..
Old 08-12-17, 09:35 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,014 Times in 1,112 Posts
Consider a Carradice saddle bag. I buckle mine to the loops in my saddle, but they have quick release things that may work for you.
Old 08-13-17, 07:44 PM
DTG

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What's your budget, that always helps when recommending something to someone.
Old 08-13-17, 08:38 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
If you love your pannier, keep using them. Put your rain gear at the top on one side and put your wallet, phone and other small personal stuff in a small funny pack and put it at the top of the other side. Either will be within easy and fast reach when needed and you don't have to spend money on another bag.
Old 08-13-17, 09:29 PM
mattia76

Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB-T, 1987 Miyata 1000LT, Rivendell Sam Hillborne,

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
There's a Motobecane on eBay right now with a Vintage 70s bike that has what appears to be a big leather dopp kit for it's handlebar bag. Props for improvisation.
Old 08-14-17, 12:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
The local department stores have small zipper phone packs.

https://www.target.com/p/bell-stowaw...g/-/A-16602290

I found this rain jacket a few days ago that came with a small stuff sack. Apparently an older style, but perhaps one could find a similar one, or perhaps a small jacket that stuffs into its pocket. Or, with some luck, a lightweight bike jacket would stuff into a small stuff sack.

SierraDesignsPocketJacket.jpg

There is also lightweight emergency use (single use) rain gear that one might consider.

Anyway, one could likely pack one's phone, jacket, and wallet all into a small top tube bag.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.