Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rear Light - Flashing or Steady?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rear Light - Flashing or Steady?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-24, 10:25 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Re: fire trucks .... trucks Not painted red were involved in a lot fewer collisions. Maybe that doesn't matter to some folks but ...

By the way three separate studies were mentioned, for those who think all the articles were referencing the same study .... and all found that red and orange can disappear in low-light conditions, and that fluorescent green vehicles were in the fewest accidents (per capita.)

This was not a case pf people watching video and pushing buttons,. This was an actual count of accidents involving emergency vehicles, and it was found the adjusted for proportion, red vehicles got hit a lot more. Three studies addressed the issue of emergency vehicle color starting int he late-'60s /early '70s and the latest in the past several years ... all had the same conclusion. Red and orange are least visible---invisible---in low-light conditions. People still paint fire engines red due to tradition .... because people are stupid.

Sorry some people think science matters ... but a lot of people don't. Oh, well. Darwin still has a job, passing out those awards.

There were multiple (three) studies. Your four links reference the same set of multiple studies. That is, your four links are mostly repeating themselves.

Note that I'm not saying fire trucks shouldn't be painted hi-viz yellow.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-09-24 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-09-24, 02:00 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I’ve had drivers who assume I’m closing at a much slower rate than I am, and I’m pretty sure I had my front flasher going. One was about 20 mins before sunset, another was on a shallow, mostly shaded descent.

As for visibility, colors work best when there’s already light, be that daylight or headlight - and I personally notice flashers more out of my peripheral vision, be it while cycling or driving. I’ve definitely noticed commuters going home after dark, without lights, while wearing their black, grey or brown jackets - but it was the reflective strip on their jacket/bag/pedals that got my attention first. If I had any blinkies in my car I’d offer one to them…

Anytime the light suddenly drops, I like to make sure my rear blinky is on, and will often turn on the front one.
Old 01-09-24, 02:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10444 Post(s)
Liked 11,924 Times in 6,105 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Interesting discussion. One thing I can say with confidence is that what works in isolation on an empty road gets lost in light clutter when there's traffic. This may be one reason the cops use blue and why a contrasting color might make sense for cyclists. I experienced this one evening at a busy intersection, when an oncoming driver made a turn on red while was I making a left and nearly nailed me. We had a brief discussion after I stopped screaming, which made it clear that he missed the pinpoint of my fancy, high-intensity LED headlight in the mass of oncoming traffic. I assume the same thing can happen with red tail lights.

Anyone who has navigated a boat into a busy, lit-up, port at night will also have experienced this. One can miss huge ships at short range and blinking navigational lights can be simply invisible, even when you know exactly where they should be.
Hence, flashing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-09-24, 02:31 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan K
In our area, winters are long, days are short, and with this stupidity of changing the clock, we are always returning from work when it is pitch black. So uncivilized or not, if we wish to pay our bills (instead of using our welfare system where others foot our bills), I have to ride in dark. Choosing the path that isn’t busy with commuters using automobiles is the they to safety. In my case, I don’t mind adding extra 10-15 min to my bicycling time, as I avoid drivers singularly focused on making good time through running the “pink” lights (which often red as they enter the intersection).
call me crazy but i think he was joking about the uncivilized bit.
Old 01-09-24, 02:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hence, flashing.
I guess… Not a solution for a headlight that’s being used for illuminating the road.
Old 01-09-24, 02:41 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
When driving today at dusk I came across a cyclist with a rapid flashing red tail light and reflective socks. It was a very effective combo. Unmistakable as a cyclist from long range. I didn’t even notice what colour his jacket was!

Interestingly I also saw another cyclist with a very sliow flashing tail light and that was much less effective. The flash on/off period was about a second which made it look partially invisible.

Finally I saw a third cyclist with no rear light and dark clothing going in the opposite direction. Hope he made it home!
Old 01-09-24, 02:46 PM
Champlaincycler

Bikes: 2018 Diverge Comp, 2016 Specialized SL4 Comp,

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 42 Posts
I don't ride much in the dark. When I do it's early morning. I still use a blinky strapped to my left ankle as I did in the 70's. Drivers just can't figure out what that rotating, blinking safety light is and they slow down almost immediately, far before they can make out my figure. Of course, I've got another on my seatpost that I keep on flash mode and a small blinking headlight. Talking rural roads here, but still.
Old 01-09-24, 03:26 PM
Alan K

Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
When driving today at dusk I came across a cyclist with a rapid flashing red tail light and reflective socks. It was a very effective combo. Unmistakable as a cyclist from long range. I didn’t even notice what colour his jacket was!

Interestingly I also saw another cyclist with a very sliow flashing tail light and that was much less effective. The flash on/off period was about a second which made it look partially invisible.

Finally I saw a third cyclist with no rear light and dark clothing going in the opposite direction. Hope he made it home!
All possibilities in one trip!

I agree about epilepsy inducing bliky lights being the most effective.
Old 01-09-24, 03:28 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by spelger
call me crazy but i think he was joking about the uncivilized bit.
Obviously!

But why miss an opportunity!
Old 01-09-24, 03:58 PM
Alan K

I guess… Not a solution for a headlight that’s being used for illuminating the road.
Those of us who use their bikes when it might become dark, tend to be well prepared for such occasions. It’s not terribly complicated to have two lights, as in the photo below:

Old 01-09-24, 04:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
Those of us who use their bikes when it might become dark, tend to be well prepared for such occasions. It’s not terribly complicated to have two lights, as in the photo below:

How very wonderful for you and the rest of Those of Us.
Old 01-09-24, 04:41 PM
Alan K

How very wonderful for you and the rest of Those of Us.
Nope, it actually requires expertise in rocket surgery.
Old 01-09-24, 05:52 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The lights that really get my attention are the headlights on females in high beam mode. Steady is nice, but even better if they're flashing me!
Old 01-09-24, 10:32 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by seypat
The lights that really get my attention are the headlights on females in high beam mode. Steady is nice, but even better if they're flashing me!
These days you might get something very different than what you wish for - someone who identifying as a female.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-10-24, 08:30 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,291 Times in 712 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I’ve had drivers who assume I’m closing at a much slower rate than I am, and I’m pretty sure I had my front flasher going.
But I'm not sure ^^^that phenomenon has anything to do with lights, blinking or steady. Automobile drivers seem to consistently underestimate how fast cyclists are moving. Especially when the cyclist is coming towards them and they are trying to make a left turn in front of that oncoming traffic.
:angryface:
Old 01-10-24, 08:40 AM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
But I'm not sure ^^^that phenomenon has anything to do with lights, blinking or steady. Automobile drivers seem to consistently underestimate how fast cyclists are moving. Especially when the cyclist is coming towards them and they are trying to make a left turn in front of that oncoming traffic.
:angryface:
Yep, left turns in front of me. Not pleasant to have to slam on the brakes at ~25mph, push my butt off the back to minimize rear wheel lockup, and still come within a handful of feet of plowing into the passenger side rear quarter panel as he made the turn...

If a faster blinking light, or twin blinkies out of sync, or a friggin torch will help drivers understand that we're often not much slower than them (read: fairly straight 2% descent on a 35mph road), then I'm all for it. In winter at least, I've been running with twin blinkies in front to minimize the risk of one running out of power - in my last ride, I turned both on in hopes that gets more drivers' attention...
Old 01-10-24, 12:35 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
I have had similar encounters .... downhill at a good clip with drivers watching me come, then deciding to pull out just as I get there .... I think drivers first see the cyclist as a possible threat, like a car or truck, then realize it is just a bike, not a threat ... then look at the rest of traffic, and if they see no threats, pull out .... ignoring the fact that they, themselves, are threats.

Who knows? Reasoning skills can be found lacking even in calm, stable environments ... in the rapidly changing scenario on a roadway, expecting people to think sensibly is a poor gamble.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 01-10-24, 01:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 5,659 Times in 2,928 Posts
The combination which caught my eye while driving at night was a cyclist, or bike rider, with two reflective bands on his ankles separately going up and down with a very bright blinking light on their seat post. From a half mile back, could tell if wearing hi-vis.

I believe the research says a white or light colored helmet is also more visible to motorists. If I want sick, I’d feel motivated to look it up

Old 01-10-24, 01:27 PM
Alan K

I have had similar encounters .... downhill at a good clip with drivers watching me come, then deciding to pull out just as I get there .... I think drivers first see the cyclist as a possible threat, like a car or truck, then realize it is just a bike, not a threat ... then look at the rest of traffic, and if they see no threats, pull out .... ignoring the fact that they, themselves, are threats.

Who knows? Reasoning skills can be found lacking even in calm, stable environments ... in the rapidly changing scenario on a roadway, expecting people to think sensibly is a poor gamble.
Agreed; may be, just may be, the bicyclists also need to start looking at these situations a little differently. Rather than griping about the irresponsible, illogical and idiotic drivers among the like-minded people, assume that drivers really are what bicyclists think of them - the next step then becomes a matter of self-preservation. Who has more to lose; is not losing your momentum* worth risking your limbs and even life?

[* I have heard this argument from more than one bicyclist in person - cars have brakes, all they need to do is to use them to slow their car down a little so I can clear in my momentum, which takes my strength to pedal my bike - why can’t they appreciate it. Or something to that effect- ]
Old 01-10-24, 01:31 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by rsbob
The combination which caught my eye while driving at night was a cyclist, or bike rider, with two reflective bands on his ankles separately going up and down with a very bright blinking light on their seat post. From a half mile back, could tell if wearing hi-vis.

I believe the research says a white or light colored helmet is also more visible to motorists. If I want sick, I’d feel motivated to look it up
Additionally, if the white or a light color helmet does not have reflective lines/strips, adhesive backed 3M strips work very well in the night time.
Old 01-10-24, 01:57 PM
loky1179

Bikes: 2x Bianchi, 2x Specialized, 3x Schwinns

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
The next big cycling safety device will be a compact but ridiculously powerful 5G transmitter so cyclists show up on the cell phones of all drivers withing a quarter-mile radius.
That will be the only way to get their attention! Then when they swipe left, the car's brakes are automatically applied
Likes For loky1179:
Old 01-10-24, 02:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
haven't heard that term since HS.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-10-24, 02:40 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Agreed; may be, just may be, the bicyclists also need to start looking at these situations a little differently. Rather than griping about the irresponsible, illogical and idiotic drivers among the like-minded people, assume that drivers really are what bicyclists think of them - the next step then becomes a matter of self-preservation. Who has more to lose; is not losing your momentum* worth risking your limbs and even life?

[* I have heard this argument from more than one bicyclist in person - cars have brakes, all they need to do is to use them to slow their car down a little so I can clear in my momentum, which takes my strength to pedal my bike - why can’t they appreciate it. Or something to that effect- ]
I think you need to think better.

I have been cycling on the road, in traffic, for more than 50 years.

Fairly obviously I am not dead.

Pretty obviously I have figured out How to ride on the road in traffic without dying.

Further conclusions I leave to you.
Old 01-10-24, 02:50 PM
Alan K

I think you need to think better.

I have been cycling on the road, in traffic, for more than 50 years.

Fairly obviously I am not dead.

Pretty obviously I have figured out How to ride on the road in traffic without dying.

Further conclusions I leave to you.
Please provide a credible evidence that you are not a ghost who has figured out how to type.
Likes For Alan K:
Old 01-10-24, 03:24 PM
Maelochs

Please provide a credible evidence that you are not a ghost who has figured out how to type.
Ach .... I am busted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.