Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You ever wind up racing a random person on your solo ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You ever wind up racing a random person on your solo ride?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-18, 07:12 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
A lot of solo superstars complaining about their petty issues with people getting too close to them but not one case of an actual incident or accident.
Funny stuff.
Old 07-18-18, 07:26 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Making the pass? Rookie move. Wheelsucking? Dick move. I favor the true Cat 6 technique: wear 'em out. Get about 4-5 bikelengths back-- they know you're there. Just sit there. If they surge, pick it up. This is the most rewarding way to blow up practicing* tri-guys on the river trail. Their testosterone levels will not allow passing-- so if you do pass, they will just drope the hamer, retake the lead, and you guys will yo-yo all the way down the river. So sit back. Let him blow himself up. I did it this morning. Shamelessly. Never getting closer than about 25 feet from their wheel.

Got find the fun where you can.

*I say "practicing" because they're usually in aero position, with their racing kit, doing oh... about 19mph.
So we got 19mph being mocked..another guy mentioned 23mph...won’t be long before we hear stories of 30mph average on flats solo with minor headwind?
Old 07-18-18, 07:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,872 Times in 3,161 Posts
How do I know I’ve got the baddest assest fastest legs in the suburbs? EVERYONE I pass is going slower than I am.
Old 07-18-18, 07:32 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
Personally I find having an air compressor so handy for more than just bike stuff that I can't imagine not spending at least $100 for a small pancake one to have on hand, but there is this hack for making a $2 booster inflator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtmatxJG_zg

Or the less ghetto approach:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Tuw3ABtSI
I prefer the more ghetto one! Pretty darned clever!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-18-18, 07:36 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If wheelsucking weren't incredibly rude, then why do wheelsuckers who pass me when I dog it to get rid of them then start pedaling like mad to try and make sure that I can't draft them (not that I try, I also do what Dr. Isotope wrote unless I'm closing in to pass)? Pretty much an acknowledgment that they're being annoying when they dish but don't want to take it.

The wheelsucking I've encountered usually happens on my commute, usually after I pass them when they're going much slower than my preferred pace, and I pretty much always keep pace with their attempt to shake me until a short but steep climb where they're out of gas and I blow by and never see them again.
Old 07-18-18, 07:43 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I could be convinced to support common sense, anti-wheelsucking legislation in my state, and maybe ban certain types of racing bikes. Think of the children.
Old 07-18-18, 07:54 PM
igosolo

Bikes: '17 Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod, '11 Cannondale Supersix, '13 Cannondale CAADX Disc, '13 Trek Superfly, '07 Cannondale System Six

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
A lot of solo superstars complaining about their petty issues with people getting too close to them but not one case of an actual incident or accident.
Funny stuff.
Typical reply... Let's wait for an accident and THEN decide to do something about it. It is not petty to take issue with someone on a bike invading your safety space, especially in "stealth" mode. I just want to ride by myself and don't really care if another rider needs a pull. It's not my problem.
Old 07-18-18, 08:05 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi

So we got 19mph being mocked..another guy mentioned 23mph...won’t be long before we hear stories of 30mph average on flats solo with minor headwind?
You're damn right I'm mocking 19mph. Let me paint a picture: the prototypical dude I'm referring to is either on a full-TT bike (complete with bottle rockets and super-deep carbon wheels) or at the very least an aero-frame road bike with clip-on aerobars... and super-deep carbon wheels. He's in the TT position. His legs are whirling around at an impressive velocity. But I'm 5 bike lengths back on a steel CX bike with 12º flare bars and 700x35 knobbies. Nineteen miles an hour is doable, for long periods, on a hybrid. This is the Santa Ana River Trail. We're on an unbroken stretch about 10 miles long, with little elevation change. Tri-guy is on his TT bike to go 19mph? Why? If he's training for his next TT or Tri, should he not be training at the speeds he hopes to achieve in that event? Nineteen on a TT bike is fully mockable. The aero of the frame and wheels isn't even being used at 19mph. He's just riding a heavy bike that's vulnerable to cross-winds.

I put in 75 miles this morning at an average of 17.6mph. On that CX bike. About 62 of those miles on surface streets. But the only place I'm hitting 30mph, on any bike, is going downhill.
Old 07-18-18, 08:29 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
We're on an unbroken stretch about 10 miles long, with little elevation change. Tri-guy is on his TT bike to go 19mph? Why? If he's training for his next TT or Tri, should he not be training at the speeds he hopes to achieve in that event? Nineteen on a TT bike is fully mockable. The aero of the frame and wheels isn't even being used at 19mph. He's just riding a heavy bike that's vulnerable to cross-winds..
Do this all the time. Tempo or cadence work at low power on the TT bike, or perhaps working on settling into a position change. Was doing 3x20 last Saturday at < race pace and intentionally put on the Disc. Precisely because I would be battling cross winds and had struggled a bit with wind the last time I raced that wheel combination.
Old 07-18-18, 08:30 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

So there's no point in riding a fast TT bike unless you're going all out?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-18-18, 08:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
There's no advantage to a fast TT bike unless you're going above ~23mph. Aero frames, wheels, bars, etc. have basically no benefit unless the rider can maintain higher speeds for extended periods of time. As our local pro bike fitter says, "If you can't hold +20mph for an hour, the aero stuff is just weight."

The local TT course is a 7 mile out-and-back, with about 400ft of climbing in it. The average speeds are 27-28mph. If you had the legs, and wanted to do it at 19mph, you could ride most anything.

I don't buy the intervals notion on the local river trail-- their speeds never change. They go that velocity until they hit the turnaround, then going slightly slower on the "uphill" leg. What I'm saying is most of these guys bought bikes in an effort to make them faster.
Old 07-18-18, 09:08 PM
toast3d

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Story time. haha

I was on a cheap alloy department store road bike. It probably weighed about 30 pounds. I couldn't afford anything much better at the time, so it's what I rode, usually in a t-shirt and shorts. I had a clamp-on seatpost rack hanging off the back. Dorky mirror clipped onto my cheap sunglasses. It was all very Fred. I did my shopping on that bike. I rode it every day, up some pretty steep climbs as well, hauling groceries or whatever else on the way back. That seatpost rack got a lot of use.

So one day I'm at the bottom of a climb and this guy dressed in full lycra kit on a carbon bike rides up next to me with a smirk on his face. He obviously found me very funny. And he just starts talking to me. More like questioning me. With a bemused kind of chuckle in his voice. I didn't like his tone. So I burned his ass up the climb. Hard.

See, that particular climb was one I had been doing every day. I never saw that guy before. So I figured I had the advantage. Turns out that I did. In my dorky mirror I saw him standing on the pedals trying to catch up. But he couldn't close the gap.

Of course, he smoked me on the descent. But there was nothing I could do about that. I didn't have a big enough chain ring or the aero skinsuit (I have the skin suit now, by the way).

Yeah. I am weird I guess.

Originally Posted by cthenn
I find it incredibly rude when someone decides they want to ride on my wheel uninvited. Almost always happens after I pass. Dude, you were going along fine, and because I go around you, now it's on? IMO this is worse than the guy trying to start an impromptu Cat 6 race. Go around me, that's fine, just don't sit on right my wheel with your unknown skills.
I agree that it's rude, which is why I ask permission to sit on someone's wheel before I do it. I haven't had anyone say no yet. It's nice to have a break.

Last edited by toast3d; 07-18-18 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 09:14 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
There's no advantage to a fast TT bike unless you're going above ~23mph. Aero frames, wheels, bars, etc. have basically no benefit unless the rider can maintain higher speeds for extended periods of time. As our local pro bike fitter says, "If you can't hold +20mph for an hour, the aero stuff is just weight."

The local TT course is a 7 mile out-and-back, with about 400ft of climbing in it. The average speeds are 27-28mph. If you had the legs, and wanted to do it at 19mph, you could ride most anything.

I don't buy the intervals notion on the local river trail-- their speeds never change. They go that velocity until they hit the turnaround, then going slightly slower on the "uphill" leg. What I'm saying is most of these guys bought bikes in an effort to make them faster.
That's all wrong. And your local pro bike fitter is clueless about the topic.

The slower you go, the more absolute benefit (time savings) you get from aero equipment. Someone going 17 mph saves more time with aero equipment than someone going 30 mph simply because they're out there so much longer.
Old 07-18-18, 09:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

But what if the owner just likes it? Is he doing something wrong?

Old 07-18-18, 09:30 PM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
But what if the owner just likes it? Is he doing something wrong?
I suppose it depends on what the goal is or isn't. There are wrong ways to achieve specific goals.
Old 07-18-18, 09:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by toast3d
I suppose it depends on what the goal is or isn't. There are wrong ways to achieve specific goals.
A fun ride out on a favorite bike is a worthy goal. Whatever bike you choose to take isn't wrong if you "achieve" fun.

Old 07-18-18, 09:53 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
There's no advantage to a fast TT bike unless you're going above ~23mph. Aero frames, wheels, bars, etc. have basically no benefit unless the rider can maintain higher speeds for extended periods of time. As our local pro bike fitter says, "If you can't hold +20mph for an hour, the aero stuff is just weight.

I think that is untrue. Cycling weekly actually did a test with regular mavics versus Enve 50mm aero wheels, and the test result shows a 1.2mph difference at 200 watts. This was on a track which is probably the most controlled environment as you are gonna get. 1.2mph faster for just throwing on a set of aero wheels seems like a significant gain where in this case, you would be going from 19.1 to 20.3mph with the same power output.

1) Mavic R-Sys SLR(regular wheels)
At 200W (200W actual, 201W normalized) – Distance travelled: 5120m at 19.1 mph
2) Enve Smart 4.5(50mm aero wheels)
At 200W (202W actual, 203W normalized) – Distance travelled: 5460m at 20.3 mph
https://www.cyclingweekly.com/videos..._medium=Social
Old 07-18-18, 10:19 PM
toast3d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
A fun ride out on a favorite bike is a worthy goal. Whatever bike you choose to take isn't wrong if you "achieve" fun.
You're not wrong.
Old 07-18-18, 11:46 PM
catgita

Bikes: Fitz randonneuse, Trek Superfly/AL, Tsunami SS, Bacchetta, HPV Speed Machine, Rans Screamer

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was riding up the San Gabriel River trail one day on a recumbent bike. I was going about 21mph pretty steady as I caught and passed a guy on a hybrid, maybe doing 18mph. Apparently he thought I was slowing down when he felt my draft, so I hear this tisk sound from behind, and he sprints in front of me, and slows down to his original pace. Being in his draft and slowing down didn’t work for me in the middle of a workout, so I cranked it up to 25mph and watched him shrink in my rear view mirror. I was pretty smoked after that.
Old 07-18-18, 11:46 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
Do this all the time. Tempo or cadence work at low power on the TT bike, or perhaps working on settling into a position change. Was doing 3x20 last Saturday at < race pace and intentionally put on the Disc. Precisely because I would be battling cross winds and had struggled a bit with wind the last time I raced that wheel combination.
The bike handles differently with a disc or deep section carbon rims. If the only time they go on the bike is in a race situation, there is a risk of not having acclimated to the setup. There was a good article written about this somewhere on line. Ride your race equipment regularly. I used to wonder why guys rode their TT bikes so much until I tried riding one.
Old 07-19-18, 04:13 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
About the only time I'll ever be in anything like a race with strangers is on hills, so I think the dynamic is a little different than what most folks have been talking about here. There are a few stretches on well-traveled routes that are often race-like - big dips or bowls that naturally encourage a bit of hammering, but I can't think of any time I've seen anything really race-like on flat or extended segments.

On open roads, I can't imagine a situation where the squirreliness of a single stranger would ever be an issue (I've found that encountering squirrely riders CAN be an issue on bike paths and crowded roads). Some jockeying on rolling bits where I'll pass folks on the uphill bits and they'll catch up and maybe pass later, and sometimes that can have a competitive feel to it. I may instigate, I may play along, but nobody is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do.

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
No. And I'd be very annoyed if someone tried to race me on a solo ride. I've had a couple of occasions where I've been coming up behind people who I saw looking back and then accelerating. Fortunately both times had side streets nearby so I just changed my route. Most occurrences I just pass someone and that's it, though.

I don't want to be in close proximity with people who probably don't know how to ride in close proximity. And I don't want to change my effort in order to avoid having to ride in close proximity.

If I find myself in an impromptu "race," and change my route, it's not because the other rider is annoying me or because I think he's a hazard, it's because I'm not only lazy, but stingy, too - I don't want to admit the other rider had a chance of beating me.

Last edited by kbarch; 07-19-18 at 04:17 AM.
Old 07-19-18, 06:09 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Sometimes on my solo rides I think I see another rider. When I get closer, it usually turns out to be a mailbox.
Old 07-19-18, 06:22 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nymtber
Nope. I ride solo on the road.... I'm in my own little world, and don't want anyone else invading it.
Too bad roads are open to the public, huh?
Old 07-19-18, 06:22 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tri-guy is on his TT bike to go 19mph? Why? If he's training for his next TT or Tri, should he not be training at the speeds he hopes to achieve in that event? Nineteen on a TT bike is fully mockable. The aero of the frame and wheels isn't even being used at 19mph. He's just riding a heavy bike that's vulnerable to cross-winds.
I think you are looking at this from a too narrow point of view. It takes time to get used to bike position especially if you are training for a longer iron man distance tri. Even if I fall off the wagon and don't ride my road bike for a few months, my neck is hurting like crazy when I start riding again until I get back into the swing of things. Plus you have to keep the easy days easy and can't train all out every day if you want to make gains. So why not ride the tri bike on those easy days to help get used to the position even if you are only going 15 mph much less 19?
Old 07-19-18, 06:32 AM
kbarch

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jitteringjr
I think you are looking at this from a too narrow point of view. It takes time to get used to bike position especially if you are training for a longer iron man distance tri. Even if I fall off the wagon and don't ride my road bike for a few months, my neck is hurting like crazy when I start riding again until I get back into the swing of things. Plus you have to keep the easy days easy and can't train all out every day if you want to make gains. So why not ride the tri bike on those easy days to help get used to the position even if you are only going 15 mph much less 19?
Oh man.... I got some clip on aero bars and it's taking me a while to get comfortable on them - the positioning is OK, I just get nervous. I'm sure my average speed with them is slower than my average speed on the fixed gear. The one time I took that bike out for practice on the weekend I was SO embarrassed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.