Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Climbing a hill

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Climbing a hill

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-11, 07:49 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Is your goal to get over the hills faster or with less effort? For speed, I attack and stand as long as I can, then sit and spin the rest of the way up. If I'm just trying to take it easy, I'll gear down at the beginning and slow and steady crank my way up. For SS, maybe you could weave a zig-zag pattern since you cant gear down.

You probably shouldn't listen to me though, I suck at hills. When I do group rides or charity rides, all the fast guys pass me on the hills and then I pass them on the descents.
Old 06-02-11, 12:14 PM
puppypilgrim

Bikes: Brodie Force w/ Xtracycle, Dahon Helios, Merida Folding, Pacific Carryme, Softride Classic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride SS and FG. Climbing bridges and short hills, I increase pedal force and maintain cadence. I expel air from my lungs as I stand on the pedals off my seat pulling the pedals on the upstroke. On my FG at 81 gear inches, I pretty much go up pretty quick.

On a long uphill, I will go as fast as I can maintain without burning the legs to death. Standing, chanting, counting all mind games to keep myself from not stopping.
Old 06-02-11, 12:22 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
this works equally well with ascents as well as descents:
One of my favorite 80s movies of all time.

Attack hills, get that cadence up, stand when the cadence drops, and zip-zag if/when you lose momentum.
Old 06-02-11, 12:38 PM
Scooby214
Saving gas on my commute

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
Hats off to you sir, for that distance! What is your average speed?
I meant to say 27 mile round trip. Sorry for the miscommunication. My distance isn't that great, as it is 13.5 miles each way. My overall average, according to dailymile.com, is ~16 mph. The trip to work is mostly downhill, and I get there in 45 minutes while riding at a relaxed pace. My trip home is mostly uphill, with two big hills near the end. I push myself on the trip home, and get there in 50-55 minutes (depending on traffic).

Now that school is out, I am getting to find new and different routes to ride through town.
Old 06-02-11, 02:20 PM
slolane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me theory is to approach at a reasonable pace and keep my cadence up (shifting as needed to do so) then just keep at it until I'm there. Lot's of hills where I live here in MD, they do get easier over time... when I started commuting 4 years ago I could barely pedal up some of em in my granny gear, now I'm able to pace them well.
Old 06-02-11, 03:03 PM
triplebutted

Bikes: Lemond, Gios, Fuji, Trek, too many to write

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I go around.
Old 06-03-11, 07:41 AM
DrPangloss

Bikes: RANS Alterra, Jamis Coda, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you train for a hill on flats? I ask because the area around my workplace is pretty flat, and I would like to improve my hill climbing during breaks from work.
Old 06-03-11, 07:46 AM
____asdfghjkl

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ride in front of a big blowing fan. lol
Old 07-10-12, 08:04 AM
EmSV650

Bikes: Giant Sedona, Schwinn SlikChick 1966, Cannondale hybrid I just bought - it's in the shop being refurbished

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm really happy to find this thread. Am having trouble with hills. Am way out of shape. OTOH, there aren't many hills where I live, but the area I prefer for riding is all downhill "in" and uphill "out". So far basically I just gear down (like 2nd gear) and try to keep my legs moving. But on this one hill, which takes me 90 seconds to up, by the time I reach almost the top (it just levels out at the top, no downhill to follow) I'm going so slow the bike is barely moving. I could get off the bike and walk it faster.
sigh. I do have a lot of weight to lose and lots of conditioning to do.
But yeah it's a drag on the hills.
I'm going to try a couple of different things based on some of your comments - how you do it.
One thing is with the high and close bar position of my comfort bike I really can't stand up and ride at this point. Or maybe it's just being too heavy.
When I was a kid I stood up and rode all the time, to get a nice push off. Sounds like some of you all do stand up too, sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate this thread.
Old 07-10-12, 08:22 AM
cafzali

Bikes: Giant TCR SL3 and Trek 1.5

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mttx
I was curious on how folks out there process to climb a hill.
The curious thing that I see all too often in regard to hills is people shifting once they're in the midst of the actual climb. Never really understand that behavior since it is harder on your chain and drivetrain and makes it more likely that you'll drop a chain due to the increased stress.
Old 07-10-12, 08:39 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah I made a thread about hills not too long ago, also, since I still suck at them. But I am getting a bit better I think.

There's this one bridge I went over last year, had to get off and walk the bike up. Then I went over it again a few weeks ago and rode the whole way over, albeit in a pretty low gear.

When I take my son to the park in the bike trailer, we go down a fairly steep grassy slope on the way there. Then coming back I have to go up that slope, along with hauling an additional 50 lbs. behind me (trailer + kid). Yesterday I did it in my 2nd to lowest gear, standing on the pedals. It was hard but I made it. I have to be careful to keep my weight over the handlebars as much as possible, or I end up pulling the front wheel off the ground, stopping, then having to climb off and pull everything up.

I live in a pretty hilly area of town, so I always face them when I ride. Still not that great, but slowly getting better.

Last edited by PatrickGSR94; 07-10-12 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-10-12, 08:40 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Originally Posted by cafzali
The curious thing that I see all too often in regard to hills is people shifting once they're in the midst of the actual climb. Never really understand that behavior since it is harder on your chain and drivetrain and makes it more likely that you'll drop a chain due to the increased stress.
I have done that before, although now I try to ease up on pedaling for a split second while shifting if I'm going up a hill. How do others do it in regards to shifting and timing as they approach a hill?
Old 07-10-12, 08:45 AM
Gallo

Bikes: 2019 KonaLibre- 2003 Litespeed Vortex -2016 Intense Spider Factory Build -2008 Wilier Mortorolio- Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail converted to bafang 750 mid drive -1986 Paramount 2014 - --- Pivot Mach 429c

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
First I would say is to track your data for the hill. Strava does a good job at this. I have found that what I often think works well does not pan out on the time, likewise for what I think is not working works really well. I use different methods for different cases. I play around with it until I find what works best.

I often will simply spin on hills when riding a comfortable pace. I try to find the highest gear that I can turn over quickly and click around to find a sweet spot.

When going for speed I have found when approaching a hill keeping a high cadence in a high gear while sitting down is the best approach as I lose momentum I stand and mash for as long as I can. As I lose speed I sit back down and click in to my smaller ring in the front. I then find a comfortable gear and spin and recover. As I feel a bit better I click two up and stand and mash again until I am suffering and click back down and spin. Rinse and repeat. At the top I make a big effort to continue my momentum and try to accelerate all the way through.

I have also found through Strava that my best climbs are average at best. There are allot of folks who move faster than me uphill. On longer segments I do ok as I recover quickly and keep a good pace after the climbs. While I am not going to get a bunch of KOM I have found by being aware of it and working on it I have made great strides in my climbing.

One hill that I track I have data on 85 rides that the time ranges for more than 8 minutes to my PR of 2:46 Without the database information it would be difficult to improve.

https://app.strava.com/rides/12745959#222115267

And I just noticed a lady who has the best time on this segment which is obviously her car. However this same lady is also a local elite triathlete that regularly qualifies for Hawaii and can fly on a bike.
Old 07-10-12, 04:45 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't attack the hill by speeding madly, you'll just burn out faster with little benefit. To the contrary: rest on the downhill and keep your cadence constant so you approach the hill rested, but remain in aero position to keep your momentum and build up speed but without expanding energy. While climbing, spin comfortably fast, not too fast but no mashing, no jerking; smooth, fluent, even spins, arms forward and wide (hands on drops or bar ends), smooth, deep, slow breathing with your belly. Do not stand on pedals and do not wobble (bob) the bike sideways, that's just a waste of energy: any bike movement other than forward motion is a waste of energy.
Old 07-10-12, 04:55 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cafzali
You clearly don't understand, and I don't mean to offend you. I hope you will give this a shot and learn how to shift while climbing. I shift while climbing all the time. There is no stress whatsoever, if you do this right. You have full control over how hard you press on the pedals so you can lower the tension on the chain and shift gently, gracefully and with complete control while climbing. This is a skill you need to learn to be an efficient climber because not being able to shift well while climbing is a waste. You can't climb an entire hill efficiently without shifting since you need to maintain an effective cadence while going up and that means shifting or you will have to start mashing the pedals and that is completely inefficient.

Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94
I have done that before, although now I try to ease up on pedaling for a split second while shifting if I'm going up a hill. How do others do it in regards to shifting and timing as they approach a hill?
That's exactly what I'm talking about. That is the right way to climb.

Originally Posted by EmSV650
I'm really happy to find this thread. Am having trouble with hills. Am way out of shape. OTOH, there aren't many hills where I live, but the area I prefer for riding is all downhill "in" and uphill "out". So far basically I just gear down (like 2nd gear) and try to keep my legs moving. But on this one hill, which takes me 90 seconds to up, by the time I reach almost the top (it just levels out at the top, no downhill to follow) I'm going so slow the bike is barely moving. I could get off the bike and walk it faster.
sigh. I do have a lot of weight to lose and lots of conditioning to do.
But yeah it's a drag on the hills.
I'm going to try a couple of different things based on some of your comments - how you do it.
One thing is with the high and close bar position of my comfort bike I really can't stand up and ride at this point. Or maybe it's just being too heavy.
When I was a kid I stood up and rode all the time, to get a nice push off. Sounds like some of you all do stand up too, sometimes.

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate this thread.
There is really no magic to climbing hills. A large part of it is the technique but your strength plays major role. Light, slim people are the best climbers, period. Work on losing weight, it'll make a huge difference in many ways, not just climbing the hills. The more you ride, the more weight you lose, the easier it will be. Don't give up. Ride a lot. Exercise. Eat well. Your body and your mind will thank you for this. It takes time though, don't expect miracles in a couple of months. Remain persistent, but don't overdo anything, you need to enjoy this, don't make it a chore.

Don't stand up and ride, it's a waste of energy.

Also, the lighter and stronger you get you should notice a tendency to lower riding position, to have your bars lower. Since you have a comfort bike, your bars are probably way above the saddle level witch is not optimal. With time you may even need a new bike. But keep an eye on it and if you feel like you can lower the bars then do it. Oh, and make sure you saddle height is proper too, that makes a huge difference.

Originally Posted by DrPangloss
How do you train for a hill on flats? I ask because the area around my workplace is pretty flat, and I would like to improve my hill climbing during breaks from work.
Look for bridges and ramps, ride against wind, lower you tire pressure (within safe limits), take your bike off-road on a soft surface, sprint hard on flats.

Oh, and final advice on dealing with hills: don't ride SS

Last edited by AdamDZ; 07-10-12 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-10-12, 11:30 PM
PatrickGSR94

Certain steep hills I have to stand up, as I said above just to keep my front tire on the ground. But the one where that happens is a grass hill, not paved.
Old 07-11-12, 07:00 AM
PatrickGSR94

Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Do not stand on pedals and do not wobble (bob) the bike sideways, that's just a waste of energy: any bike movement other than forward motion is a waste of energy.
Tell that to those TdF riders
Old 07-11-12, 10:18 AM
E.S.
just ride

Bikes: '15 Scott Speedster 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. The more you do this, the better you get.

Do not stand on pedals and do not wobble (bob) the bike sideways, that's just a waste of energy: any bike movement other than forward motion is a waste of energy.
Tell that to those TdF riders
Yep. Sometimes one needs bobbing (upper body or bike) to establish rhythm and novice to intermediate riders like me probably expend more energy trying to be "pro stiff" like that. Just relax your upper body and grip on the bars, focus on getting over the hill, and don't worry too much about some bobbing or rocking of the bike.
Old 07-11-12, 10:31 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just go up the hill, downshifting as needed. I don't attack it, I don't get out of the saddle. I don't have really big hills on my ride but I have never used the little chainring or the lowest gear on the cassette. Normally I only go as low as 3 on the cassette, in the middle chainring. If I'm sick or something I might go to 2. It cross gears a little but I don't feel too bad about it, the little chainring is such a jump down that I'd then have to upshift to 4 or 5 to make it faster than getting off and walking.
Old 07-11-12, 11:26 AM
PatrickGSR94

Yeah that kind of annoys me about my gears. For me, shifting from large to middle chain ring feels about the same as shifting down one gear on the cassette. But shifting from mid to small ring feels like dropping 2 gears in the back. If I go to the small ring I usually come up one in the back to keep from dropping off a bunch of speed immediately.
Old 07-11-12, 11:39 AM
ckaspar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...ride against wind...
I wonder if there is a good measure to compare headwind speed to a hill gradient. I understand the wind will be variable with gusts and what not but I find myself kicking into the wind on the way home 90% of the time. The road is flat as a pancake but the winds are certainly decent. I would be interested to see how I compare on a hill. I know that on Sunday I was riding with a buddy of mine in San Clement along the coast. It was pretty hilly there and I seemed to have little problem climbing the hills where as he was dreading each little incline. In March I would have probably dreaded the same hills.
Old 07-11-12, 11:49 AM
Ira B

Bikes: 84 Raleigh Technium- 89 Shogun Mt. Bike-96 Miyata 914

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Got a couple of good ones near the end of my commute.
Usually get a bit of a run at them and progressively downshift to 1st gear. If I'm on the road bike I usually stand up and slog my way up.
There is virtually no car traffic so sometimes If I'm feeling lazy I'll switchback and forth across the roadway for a breather but I really keep my head on a swivel if I do that.
Old 07-11-12, 12:29 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgesus
on SS, you gotta get keep the cadence up as HW said... lots of ppl think im just trying race them up the hill, but i have to keep those RPMs up or i'll be doomed to crawl up the hill.
+1 to a year-old post, but yeah. I take my FG on group rides, and people think I'm showing off on the uphills. Must... not... stall!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-11-12, 12:46 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Climbing out of the saddle for short periods is a great technique. Good for a quick acceleration, for getting over short climbs, and for changing the muscles you use on longer climbs. It does take more energy, but unless you are riding at your threshold, you should have plenty to spare. For long in-the-saddle climbing, keep your cadence at about 90-100 in a lower gear.
Old 07-11-12, 12:55 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think , I just pedal until I'm over the hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.