Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding Solo Safety

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding Solo Safety

Old 05-21-20, 03:18 PM
  #1  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Riding Solo Safety

I've been riding solo since covid and it's getting sketchier out there. People are angry and frustrated and I've had a few incidents recently where I've been the target of their anger. It's mostly macho guys and their big trucks (one actually had "redneck" on the window that I saw after he came too close to me and spun his wheels to spit sand at me) but today it was a sedan with christian symbol on the back (blared horn long before and after going by me despite my being on the right shoulder on a straight road without traffic). While I ride I think about what I could put on the back of my jerseys to make these rednecks think I'm almost one of them - I wear plain safety yellow, so there's room for a message. Ideas welcome! Here's what I've come up with so far:

"Make America Great Again"

"World's Greatest Mom"

"Jesus Loves You"

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

Do you think it might help? Any other ideas? I could stop riding but riding is saving my sanity!
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 03:55 PM
  #2  
GlennR
I'm Lost
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 6,202

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 585 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB View Post

"Make America Great Again" What if they are not a Trump supporter

"World's Greatest Mom" What they're a Dad who's back on Child support

"Jesus Loves You" What if their a atheist

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

Do you think it might help? Any other ideas? I could stop riding but riding is saving my sanity!
Nothing will help.
GlennR is offline  
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-21-20, 03:56 PM
  #3  
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Posts: 29,817

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 176 Posts
American flag colors.
__________________
My greatest fear is all of my kids standing around my coffin and talking about "how sensible" dad was.
Retro Grouch is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 04:03 PM
  #4  
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 4,371

Bikes: Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked 429 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
American flag colors.
That is no joke. When I ride the roads I am typically treated pretty well. I have worn this enough to be able to definitively say that it makes a positive difference. I attribute it to the Red, White and Blue humanizing the experience. I am seen as a person rather than an annoying cyclist.

Paul Barnard is offline  
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 05-21-20, 04:06 PM
  #5  
Oneder
Banned.
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 822

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
Get a metal pole that sicks out 3 feet from the frame to the left.
Oneder is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 05:14 PM
  #6  
Rider_1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by BNB View Post
I've been riding solo since covid and it's getting sketchier out there. People are angry and frustrated and I've had a few incidents recently where I've been the target of their anger. It's mostly macho guys and their big trucks (one actually had "redneck" on the window that I saw after he came too close to me and spun his wheels to spit sand at me) but today it was a sedan with christian symbol on the back (blared horn long before and after going by me despite my being on the right shoulder on a straight road without traffic). While I ride I think about what I could put on the back of my jerseys to make these rednecks think I'm almost one of them - I wear plain safety yellow, so there's room for a message. Ideas welcome! Here's what I've come up with so far:

"Make America Great Again"

"World's Greatest Mom"

"Jesus Loves You"

[the fish symbol]

"Mom, Nurse"

Do you think it might help? Any other ideas? I could stop riding but riding is saving my sanity!
"Nurse" will definitely not help you with some of these losers.
Rider_1 is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:30 PM
  #7  
Daniel4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,409

Bikes: Sekini 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 94 Posts
Open Carry

Stand My Ground

Stand Behind Our Troops

Just on my way to pick up my Humvee
Daniel4 is offline  
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 05-21-20, 06:38 PM
  #8  
ChinookTx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Posts: 288

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
FYI
(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel,
"
Looks like he's wearing a shirt, not a flag...
ChinookTx is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:45 PM
  #9  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts
"Your mom"
or
"GFY"

Are NOT advisable.

Just wear the nation's colors.
Troul is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:51 PM
  #10  
skidder
Bipsycorider
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,064

Bikes: Why yes, I do have a few! Thank you for asking!

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 107 Posts
I'd say not a lot. As the saying goes "Every dog's got a few fleas", and you're experiencing the annoying "fleas" in your area. It happens everywhere, but its not that often I experience it so I just ignore them and brush it off.
skidder is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 06:52 PM
  #11  
csuperbike
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Unfortunately alcohol stores were one of the stores deemed essential. People with a lot of time and now you have a bad combination and more drunk/high drivers on the roads. I have been in more near misses in the last two months than I have in my entire life.

That’s what I think.
csuperbike is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:02 PM
  #12  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by csuperbike View Post
Unfortunately alcohol stores were one of the stores deemed essential. People with a lot of time and now you have a bad combination and more drunk/high drivers on the roads. I have been in more near misses in the last two months than I have in my entire life.

Thatís what I think.
kinda the opposite for me. So much so, that I've chanced it by riding in areas that were known to be a lot busier with higher speed limits.
Troul is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:06 PM
  #13  
csuperbike
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul View Post
kinda the opposite for me. So much so, that I've chanced it by riding in areas that were known to be a lot busier with higher speed limits.
i wonder if City riding may have been the way to go since most folks were at home? Country roads have been sketchy here.
csuperbike is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:09 PM
  #14  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by csuperbike View Post
i wonder if City riding may have been the way to go since most folks were at home? Country roads have been sketchy here.
definitely would make more logic.
Troul is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:16 PM
  #15  
hillyman 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,727
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 141 Posts

Cycliq Fly 6 and/or Fly 12. Record them and report them. It's our in our self interest to make the roads safer for everyone.
__________________
hillyman is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:19 PM
  #16  
Troul
:D
 
Troul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mich
Posts: 1,940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 76 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman View Post

Cycliq Fly 6 and/or Fly 12. Record them and report them. It's our in our self interest to make the roads safer for everyone.
hdmi?
Troul is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:36 PM
  #17  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
The flag idea is perfect!

just ordered an iron-on decal from amazon ... I'll iron on separate fabric then pin on jersey. I'm riding like an old fart these days (am I allowed to say that?) with a trunk thing where I could mount a small flag on a pole but it would mostly be perpendicular to drivers. Me thinks you can't have too many flying flags, tho!

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
That is no joke. When I ride the roads I am typically treated pretty well. I have worn this enough to be able to definitively say that it makes a positive difference. I attribute it to the Red, White and Blue humanizing the experience. I am seen as a person rather than an annoying cyclist.


Last edited by BNB; 05-21-20 at 08:19 PM.
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 07:40 PM
  #18  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've considered this many times but when cops say stuff like "well, what do you expect riding a bicycle on the road?" I sorta don't think they will be bothered with video footage unless I'm actually hit. And, even then, the cyclist is 99% blamed. Years ago we had a guy pull a gun on us and the quote above is from the county sheriff that day.

Originally Posted by Troul View Post
hdmi?
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:28 PM
  #19  
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!
 
AlmostTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Looney Tunes, IL
Posts: 6,929

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 268 Posts
I support
POLICE

The first two words should be smaller, and the last one large and bold across your back.
AlmostTrick is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:32 PM
  #20  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 1,372

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '18 Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by csuperbike View Post
Unfortunately alcohol stores were one of the stores deemed essential. People with a lot of time and now you have a bad combination and more drunk/high drivers on the roads. I have been in more near misses in the last two months than I have in my entire life.

Thatís what I think.
Interesting. IĎve found just the opposite.
__________________

MattTheHat is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:39 PM
  #21  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I like it! Will try the flag first and saw those flags with the blue stripe that looked pretty cool but they were all too big.

Originally Posted by AlmostTrick View Post
I support
POLICE

The first two words should be smaller, and the last one large and bold across your back.
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:40 PM
  #22  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 6,020

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Pink Klein MTB, Phil Wood VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), Cilo Road Frame, Proteus frame

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 198 Posts
People are generally arseholes and there is no redemption. We have been seeing tons of nasty people these days at the shop, nobody seems to understand their is a global crisis going on and a little respect and decency is what we need right now. They are pissed off at anyone and will take it out on someone as soon as they are out. It is rather a sad affair.

Ride safe and know this isn't a time for silly slogans and name calling. Even if trashy generally light skinned middle class southern people have taken the term. Rednecks originally referred to poor farmers and then was a sign of solidarity so miners could identify themselves (by the red bandanna around their necks) from the hired goons that were trying to murder them for standing up for their rights and their well being.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:41 PM
  #23  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Hubby and I got a great laugh out of Humvee idea! Thanks!

Originally Posted by Daniel4 View Post
Open Carry

Stand My Ground

Stand Behind Our Troops

Just on my way to pick up my Humvee
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:51 PM
  #24  
BNB
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
BNB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: NH, CA
Posts: 406

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, cx, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Interesting history. So much time to think riding solo and I did wonder where the term "redneck" came from.

So, hopefully the flag idea is well accepted by the right and OK with the left too. No harm or silliness with that.

Not that it matters, but I sorta want to defend my beloved state of New Hampshire and say that every one of these incidents happened in California. Southern California. In fairness, CA has way, way more traffic and way, way more cyclists. Wish I could get to NH right now ... I would feel so much safer.


Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
People are generally arseholes and there is no redemption. We have been seeing tons of nasty people these days at the shop, nobody seems to understand their is a global crisis going on and a little respect and decency is what we need right now. They are pissed off at anyone and will take it out on someone as soon as they are out. It is rather a sad affair.

Ride safe and know this isn't a time for silly slogans and name calling. Even if trashy generally light skinned middle class southern people have taken the term. Rednecks originally referred to poor farmers and then was a sign of solidarity so miners could identify themselves (by the red bandanna around their necks) from the hired goons that were trying to murder them for standing up for their rights and their well being.
BNB is offline  
Old 05-21-20, 08:54 PM
  #25  
downtube42
Senior Member
 
downtube42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,199

Bikes: Volae Team, '83 Bianchi Nuovo Racing v2,'74ish Windsor Carrera Sport, Priority Eight, Nimbus MUni, Trek Roscoe 6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 143 Posts
I think flag is probably not going to hurt.

Note that when people yell, honk, blow smoke, and spin tires at you, that means they saw you, which is a good thing. They are not trying to kill you, so they probably won't kill you, which is also good. Even the intimidation-passers are actually trying quite hard to *nearly* hit you, which means they are more or less trying to not hit you, which is a good thing.

So that's all good.

People texting, posting on FB or BF, watching videos, or chatting up with their friends and family will not honk, yell, blow smoke, or spin tires at you. They might not see you, which is bad, and they might kill you, which is bad.

On narrow twisty hilly roads, drivers actually need to spend most of their time looking out the windshield, which is very good for you. As opposed to straight flat wide roads, where they can and do spend a considerable amount of time not looking out their windshields.

In conclusion, don't fear unsocial angry people, and don't fear social people on twisty hilly roads. Fear (and avoid) social people on flat, straight, wide roads. That's where you're gonna die.
downtube42 is offline  
Likes For downtube42:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.